What SCOTCH are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Christofer C

Re: What SCOTCH are you drinking?

#401 Post by Christofer C » October 12th, 2012, 9:01 am

Glenlivet Master Distiller's Reserve, Caol Ila 18y and Glenfarclas 105

Hunter Fuzzell

#402 Post by Hunter Fuzzell » October 14th, 2012, 7:32 am

Ardbeg Uigeadail

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#403 Post by M.Kaplan » October 14th, 2012, 9:11 am

This, among other rare treats from La Maison du Whisky, my favorite whisky shop:

Front

Back
---Mark

Rob MacKay

#404 Post by Rob MacKay » October 18th, 2012, 11:44 am

recently picked up a bottle of Caol Ila 20 Year Old (bottled by A.D. Rattray) Single Barrel Cask Strength.

For me, this is right at my limit in terms of the peat / medicinal aspect of an Islay Scotch. Any more and I probably couldn't drink it. However, it's an excellent Scotch to enjoy with a nice cigar.
"For the human makers of things, the incompletenesses and inconsistencies of our ideas become clear only during implementation."

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#405 Post by john stimson » October 22nd, 2012, 9:11 pm

Current favorite is Supersition from the isle of Jura. For me the perfect mix of smokey with rich/sweet floral.

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#406 Post by john stimson » October 22nd, 2012, 9:36 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
Richard Leland wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:Longrow 14, Talisker 10
I generally prefer Scotch that has been aged 16-18 years - Lagavulin is my dram of choice - and in fact I can be a little snooty about it: "Oban 14, well, okay, if that's all you have ....". So whenever I have the Talisker 10 Year Old it's both a shock and a wake-up call - how in the hell can a 10 year old be so damn good? Are there any other 10 year olds (or younger) that reach these heights?
Hi Richard,

I am a fan of the Aberlour 10 --- very well-balanced, with a rich flavor; I actually prefer it to the Talisker. The only reason I bought the Talisker is because I found it for about $30, and thought it would work well in helping me keep my hands off my expensive bottles. Until I went to Islay recently (where I tasted a bunch of amazing whiskys), Lagavulin 16 was my whisky of choice, too.

If you can find it, I would *strongly* recommend buying a bottle of (Bruichladdich) Port Charlotte PC9. This is a 9 yr.-old whisky, and is a ltd. release, so buy now, as supplies are drying up. I purchased one bottle in Islay, and am already deeply regretting not having purchased more. It is a heavily-peated cask strength bruiser (59.2% abv), but it is *insanely* well-balanced for a whisky of such youth and abv level; it is, by far, the greatest young (<15yr.) whisky I've ever tasted. Honestly, I prefer it neat.

A couple final things:
-- as a Lagavulin fan, you really should seek-out the 2011 bottling of their 12yr. --- it's better than the 16.
-- Interesting thing I learned about Lagavulin's 16 when I visited the distillery: a little bit of caramel is added to that whisky "for color."
I love the Aberlour 10 for a basic scotch. Unfortunately, it seems to be unavailable in the state of washington and has been for a while.

Peter C.

#407 Post by Peter C. » October 26th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Lagavulin 16. I yearned for some peat, and while I prefer Laphroig's line to Laggy, this is a great great Scotch.
( z y ® y ( @

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#408 Post by M.Kaplan » October 27th, 2012, 12:21 am

This:
---Mark

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#409 Post by G. Bienstock » October 27th, 2012, 7:08 am

I picked up Lagavulin 16 at Costco this week, $49.99 with an instant rebate.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Rick Gregory

#410 Post by Rick Gregory » October 27th, 2012, 12:40 pm

john stimson wrote:
I love the Aberlour 10 for a basic scotch. Unfortunately, it seems to be unavailable in the state of washington and has been for a while.
The Thriftway near me has some John. Lemme know if you want me to grab a bottle for you before the next tasting.

Speyburn's not bad for an everyday inexpensive Scotch... $35 here.

Opinions on Ardbeg 10?
Dang Rick, I think that's right on the money. - K. John Joseph

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#411 Post by john stimson » October 27th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Sure. If it's the 10 year. the 12 year sherry cask is way too oaky, as is the cask strength.

Speyburn is a little bland for my taste. Haven' had Ardbeg.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#412 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 31st, 2012, 4:53 pm

A friend gave this to me for my birthday last week. I'm enjoying a dram right now, and like it quite a lot.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#413 Post by John Osburn » November 1st, 2012, 3:15 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:A friend gave this to me for my birthday last week. I'm enjoying a dram right now, and like it quite a lot.
I like this collection. I have been savoring a Caol Ila I picked up in Edinburgh for some time now. So much smoke with such a comparatively light body for an Islay.

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#414 Post by John Osburn » November 1st, 2012, 3:17 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:This:
Mark you are playing in a league that I just don't bowl in.

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#415 Post by Michael Bowden » November 1st, 2012, 4:36 pm

and

I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#416 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 1st, 2012, 5:20 pm

I have a bottle of that Bowmore Mariner going right now, too. I think it's a good deal worse than their regular 15 yr. ... stupid Duty Free ... [swearing.gif]

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#417 Post by Michael Bowden » November 2nd, 2012, 2:19 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:I have a bottle of that Bowmore Mariner going right now, too. I think it's a good deal worse than their regular 15 yr. ... stupid Duty Free ... [swearing.gif]
Freemott seems to be enjoying it.... (agreed on DF).

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#418 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 2nd, 2012, 6:15 am

Michael Bowden wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:I have a bottle of that Bowmore Mariner going right now, too. I think it's a good deal worse than their regular 15 yr. ... ]
Freemott seems to be enjoying it...
Quality. [thumbs-up.gif]

Guillaume Deschamps
Contributor
Contributor

#419 Post by Guillaume Deschamps » November 5th, 2012, 5:11 am

I haven't tried the Mariner recently but I thought it used to be nice as I like the salty/iodine character. It's a style, though, not for everybody for sure.

Rick, the Aberlour 10y is a good, straightforward, "entry-level" whisky. I'd say it's a great fallback solution as it's widely available and very quaffable.
ITB @roumegaire roumegaire.com

Mike Grammer

#420 Post by Mike Grammer » November 8th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Been rather a while since I checked in with some tastes. I do like Clynelish an awful lot---find it has a sublime elegance almost all of the time and lots of complexity. I've had a couple of different 14 yr expressions.

1992 Distiller's Edition Clynelish 17 yr

46% Has the smoothness and fullness that I like in this malt. In this case, the fruit is a little more up-front forward and the spice is at the back. Very, very nice though. 8 at least.

Mackillop's Choice 1986 Single Cask Dalmore 18 yr

43% I've always liked having Dalmore around for it's sweet and relatively gentle nature. This one's no different, perhaps with a little extra tang at the back. For a relaxing evening. 7+

Murray McDavid Mission 1991 Glen Scotia 20 yr Cask Strength

57.6% Grabbed this from a terrific store in St. Maarten where, incredibly, *every* whisky on the shelf has an open bottle for sampling. I am very picky about my Glen Scotias, wanting that oily texture/feel and good complexity before I plunk my money down. This one has it and, after a sweetish-heather aroma, has a remarkable degree of peat through the mouth. Blind, I might have guessed at a Bruichladdich or Bunnahabhain, but with an "odd texture". This is an authoritative so-and-so, and asks to be sipped slowly. 9.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#421 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 18th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Bowmore - "Mariner" 15 yr.

I'm actually enjoying this a lot more right now than I have previously. I'm noticing a juicy stone fruit note on the mid-palate that I didn't previously perceive, and it seems peatier than prior drams, as well. Maybe the couple months open has helped this bottle? Maybe my sensory faculties are more attuned to this whisky tonight than on previous nights? I don't know, and I suppose it's really not all that important. This still isn't quite as smooth as I would like, but I now consider it a passable dram. Still a poor QPR, though.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#422 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 8th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Clynelish 14 (Signatory bottling)
Aberlour 10

....... and I'm gonna sneak a Japanese in here, too: Nikka - From the Barrel

Wesley McBratney

#423 Post by Wesley McBratney » December 16th, 2012, 6:33 pm

Macallan 1974 (Scott's Selection bottling)
Talisker 175th Anniversary
Scotch-like? Lost Spirits Leviathan from Salinas (super smoky, reminds me of Ardberg)
Stupid signature.

J Sullivan

#424 Post by J Sullivan » December 16th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Really been digging the Lagavulin 12 lately. Definitely on of my favorites for once the weather turns colder.
J o r d @ n S u l l i v @ n

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#425 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 16th, 2012, 7:00 pm

J Sullivan wrote:Really been digging the Lagavulin 12 lately. Definitely on of my favorites for once the weather turns colder.
Yup. I've been in to my bottle of this recently, too. (2011 bottling). It's about half gone now ...{sigh}.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#426 Post by K John Joseph » December 17th, 2012, 10:08 am

Glenmorangie "The Arneit" 15 yr. Interesting bottle showing some actual berry fruit to go with spice, honey, and a touch of rosemary. Up next is Glenfarclas 21, which I picked up for about $70.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#427 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 17th, 2012, 11:33 am

Dang. Nice buy on the Glenfarclas 21.

Rob MacKay

#428 Post by Rob MacKay » December 19th, 2012, 8:58 am

Picked the last bottle of this one up from KL.

1991 Macallan 20 year old Cask Strength, Murray McDavid Mission Gold Single Malt Whisky

Very much looking forward to it.
"For the human makers of things, the incompletenesses and inconsistencies of our ideas become clear only during implementation."

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#429 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 20th, 2012, 7:33 pm

1992 Bruichladdich - "Valinch" (single cask (sherry); CS; bottled in 2011)

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#430 Post by M.Kaplan » December 20th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Did you 'thief' the Valinch yourself?
---Mark

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#431 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 20th, 2012, 7:41 pm

Yeah.

EDIT: well, not really, I guess. They had a spigot -- of sorts -- on the cask, so I didn't get to use a thief (or ladle?; or whatever it's called when you're talking whisky), but I did get to fill, label, cork, and seal the bottle myself. Once the bottle is empty, it'll be the first empty whisky bottle I will have deemed worth of saving --- of course, that says more about the whisky I drink than it does about my pickiness re: saving whisky bottles. pileon

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#432 Post by M.Kaplan » December 20th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Very cool. How do you like it? I have some from various distilleries that have been drawn by friends over the years.

The best 'Laddie I've ever tasted was an '84 Valinch drawn by friends at Islay Fest in 2004.
---Mark

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#433 Post by M.Kaplan » December 20th, 2012, 7:51 pm

The tube that is inserted into the bung hole to draw a sample is a thief. Or Valinch.
---Mark

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#434 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 20th, 2012, 8:06 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:Very cool. How do you like it? I have some from various distilleries that have been drawn by friends over the years.

The best 'Laddie I've ever tasted was an '84 Valinch drawn by friends at Islay Fest in 2004.
I like it a lot The sherry casking on my Valinch bottling is noticeable, but it doesn't overpower all the goodness --- I think, perhaps, the fact that it is CS (49.8%) might be helping in that regard. NOSE is kinda toffee-sweet and oak-spicy, with just a hint of the sherry. COLOR is dark orange-golden-brown. PALATE is dry, moderate+ sherry note (kind of salinic natural peanut butter), oak spice, light-to-moderate alc. sensation, and a carrot note on the finish, which is long and of moderate+ intensity. As I said, I do like it a lot, but probably less now than when I purchased it.

In only the last year and a half, as I've gotten into drinking sherry, my preference for sherry-casked whisky has waned; I believe this is because now that I actually know what sherry tastes like (never had it 'till last year), and because I absolutely love sherry, the sherry casking treatment really stands-out to me in a way that it didn't use to. On some sherry-casked whiskies I've had over the past year I find it hard to taste or smell anything besides the sherry treatment, which is frustrating.

Although I like it a lot, I do prefer the wildly-different Port Charlotte PC9 more, which is the only other bottle I purchased at Bruichladdich, despite tasting more than 10 whiskys at that stop -- on the whole, I found their range to be poor and/or gimmicky. I just did some online searching for the PC9 yesterday --- man, supplies of that whisky are drying-up *quickly*. Only place I could find it on the island is selling it for 200 quid --- I paid 70 at the distillery. There's a couple places in the States who have it in-stock for a bit more than $100, so I'm strongly considering ordering a couple bottles and having them shipped to my parents in MN for safe-keeping until I move back to CA.
M.Kaplan wrote:The tube that is inserted into the bung hole to draw a sample is a thief. Or Valinch.
LOL!!! [rofl.gif] hitsfan Very good to know ... thanks! newhere pileon

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#435 Post by M.Kaplan » December 20th, 2012, 8:30 pm

I agree with you that the whisky distilled by the Murray McDavid crew (now sold to Remy) was generally crappy. The only good whisky released since purchased by them in 2000 has been the old stock that was in the warehouse when they bought it. Your Valinch is yet another example of this.

And there are a lot of crappy sherry casked and finished whiskies from all sorts in the marketplace. The worst offenders smell of sulphur. Too many distilleries sherry finish to hide the hideousness of poor bourbon cask whiskies.
---Mark

Mike Grammer

#436 Post by Mike Grammer » December 27th, 2012, 8:53 am

I'll keep that top of mind, Mark--thanks for the comment. Hope you've had a good holiday season.

Mike

Christofer C

#437 Post by Christofer C » January 4th, 2013, 2:50 pm

Ardbeg Uigeadail, just great stuff and still available at good prices!

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#438 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 12th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Caol Ila 12

Joe G a l e w s k i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#439 Post by Joe G a l e w s k i » January 13th, 2013, 10:58 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:1992 Bruichladdich - "Valinch" (single cask (sherry); CS; bottled in 2011)
Very nice, I should look for an old CS Bruichladdich, it'd be a real treat. Bruichladdich is towards the top of my list, yet I don't buy much of it.

Here's what I have on hand of interest. I was born in 1975, so that's why there's that bias. Although I love scotch, it gives me heartburn. So I tend to buy it more than I drink it. :)

1975 Duncan Taylor Banff 35 year old 45.2% - this is my favorite bottle on-hand. Caramel, nuts, smooth and vibrant. Says cask strength but surprisingly low
1975 Signatory Dallas Dhu 30 year old 48%
1975 Scott's Linlithgow Lowland Malt CS bottled in 1999
1973 Scott's Selection Glenn Grant CS botled in 2003
1990 Gordon & Macphail Glenn Grant CS bottled in 2006
1975 Scott's Selection Bunnahabhain CS bottled in 2001

Highland Park 18 - yes, this is the best 18 year old IMHO
Glenmorangie 18
Glenlivet 18 - got this for $50 a few years ago. It's a bit thin but has great complexity
Laphroaig 18 - I take this out every 3-4 years when I feel like drinking campfire. I noticed they were raising the price for this a few years ago so I bought a bottle for $5x
Balvenie 17 Sherry Cask - a gift and quite a bit of wasted money. Good but nowhere near worth the cost
Glenivet Nadurra 16 year old CS - stay away! Got these 2 for $60 and I want my money back
Glenlivet 15 French Oak- stay away! Got these 2 for $60 and I want my money back

Of all the lower scotches I have, I reach for Glenmorangie 10 the most often.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#440 Post by M.Kaplan » January 13th, 2013, 11:33 am

Practicing for Ardbeggeddon XIV, the 14th annual gathering of the Clan aka The PLOWED Society of "self-styled whisky connoisseurs." So monikered by the then brand manager of Bowmore, derisively, when we identified and publicly ridiculed the FWP contaminated Morrison Bowmore distillates from the late-'70s-'80s. In anticipation of the greatest and most legendary whisky gathering known to mankind, I've been priming my palate and liver with a few legends:
'77 Ardbeg
'75 OMC Ardbeg 25 (702 bottles)
Laphroaig 21
'65 Auchentoshan 31
'96 W&M Bowmore 15 (Cask 960005)
'96 W&M Bowmore 16 (Cask 960004)
'72 G&M Clynelish 37 'Book of Kells' for LMdW
Laphroaig 20 Double Cask
'74 Glencadam 37 WF and Arc joint bottling
Springbank 21
'64 Adelphi Springbank 32
'88 OMC Laphroaig 18 for PLOWED
Longrow 18 (2011 bottling)
Green Spot Irish NAS
Yellow Spot Irish 12
'76 The Macallan 18
Bowmore Maltmens Selection 13
---Mark

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#441 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 13th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Even a Bowmore makes it into the lineup!

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#442 Post by M.Kaplan » January 13th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Except for the the awful, FWP contaminated whiskies distilled between the mid-'70s and the '80s, Bowmore has made some memorably great whiskies. They are back on form, again. Those two Wilson & Morgan '96 sherry finished whiskies are crack-like good, as is the Maltmens. The Maltmens was distillery only; there may be some left.
---Mark

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#443 Post by Michael Bowden » January 13th, 2013, 3:03 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:Except for the the awful, FWP contaminated whiskies
What is FWP?

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#444 Post by M.Kaplan » January 13th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Imagine a whisky that smells and tastes like it is mixed with the perfume of a cheap French whore.
Last edited by M.Kaplan on January 13th, 2013, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---Mark

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#445 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 13th, 2013, 3:30 pm

French Whore Perfume, I take it?

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#446 Post by M.Kaplan » January 13th, 2013, 3:35 pm

---Mark

Mike Grammer

#447 Post by Mike Grammer » January 14th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Just had a taste of a Yamazaki special select---they only sell this at the distillery proper, no age, but I think 12 yr or so. I fell head over heels, an amazing classic clean and it slides down your throat with much too much beautiful ease. My deep thanks to my friends Mark and Angela for sharing this find with me. I've really never had anything like it---imagine your favourite Lowland raised to a Montrachet level of elegance and sophistication. Easy 10. Haunting. Would sell a child into slavery for some of this.

Mark, have fun at Ardbegeddon, as I know you and the "clan" will.
Last edited by Mike Grammer on February 5th, 2013, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Rushton

#448 Post by Mark Rushton » January 18th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Nice. It is Yamazaki. The 14 bucks for 300 mls is the really crazy park about the same. I get the sense it is for locals or those in Japan that know since but for a local from Kyoto who told us about it, we would never have bought it.

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#449 Post by Dave H. » January 19th, 2013, 10:02 am

After a lifetime as a Scotch indifferent, I find that the bottle of Highland Park 12 yr is serving as a gateway spirit for me. Really enjoying it. What would be a good next step down the Scotch path for me? (Preferably keeping things in the $50 range for now...)
Hendrik

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#450 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 19th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Dave H. wrote:After a lifetime as a Scotch indifferent, I find that the bottle of Highland Park 12 yr is serving as a gateway spirit for me. Really enjoying it. What would be a good next step down the Scotch path for me? (Preferably keeping things in the $50 range for now...)
Where have you been (which Scotches have left you indifferent), and where are you now (what do you like about the Highland Park 12)?

Return to “Beer and Spirits”