What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
George N

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16851 Post by George N »

Rudolph Dunklebock from 3 Mile Brewing in Davis, CA and Kaweah Brewing
Chocolate Cow Milk Stout from Tulare, CA.
N e v e s

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16852 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

I had the CBS on draught too last week. I think I liked KBS more but could be mistaken.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16853 Post by Rick Allen »

Brian, I just shipped 25 cases of Rauch Bock to CA. Look for it. Not as smoky as Schlenkerla, but close.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16854 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

KRBC - "Citra" DIPA

My first time with this beer --- never did have a chance to try it when it was all the rage. Just about done with my first can now, and I have to say, I get it. This is a damn good West Coast double. Bitter, but not like chewing a pine branch. Scary-easy to drink at 8%. Very happy to have 3 more cans, none of which will survive the weekend.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16855 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Rick Allen wrote: December 11th, 2020, 7:36 pm Brian, I just shipped 25 cases of Rauch Bock to CA. Look for it. Not as smoky as Schlenkerla, but close.
flirtysmile

When did they depart, Rick? And is this the same recipe you did with Wayfinder? That brew was beyond amazing.

ETA: nevermind. I remember now: the Wayfinder collabo was a Helles. ... the Rauch Bock is heavier, yes?
Last edited by Brian G r a f s t r o m on December 12th, 2020, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16856 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

ClarkstonMark wrote: December 11th, 2020, 3:59 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 11th, 2020, 2:15 pm Thanks, guys.

I bought the last 4 pack of the Mackinac Fudge last week, but haven't had one yet. At the same time, I bought four of the last five four packs of the 2019 CBS that were sitting there because that's pretty much the pinnacle of BBAS for my palate. Same story has at least 15 750mLs of the 2018 CBS, too, so I'll hit those up if I ultimately need to (but I'd venture a guess that there's max one more year left on those before they start their decline, for my preferences).

It'll be a terrible thing if CBS never comes back ... but, we've been through this before ... it's coming back ... I mean, it has to, right?!?
I have I think 8-9 of the 2018 CBS 750s left, and agree that I need to drink these up over the next year (or maybe 2, as I'll never drink them that fast). There are still a lot of places in my area of MI that have many cases of the Mack Fudge and the '19 CBS on the floor. I stupidly bought a case of the Mack Fudge from Founders Detroit tap room, and paid $5-6 more per 4 pack then I could get it now. I did not expect such a massive amount of this in distribution.
What prices have you paid for the Mack Fudge? I assume I paid about $25 for the 4pack, but don't actually know because I never looked at the receipt.

The 2019 CBS is still going strong. Think I have maybe 20 - 30 regular size bottles still ... we have at least one a month, enjoying it with bacon and eggs on the weekend. :)

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16857 Post by TimF »

I’ve been paying about $22 for a four pack of the Mackinac.

Anyone else having trouble posting pictures?
Tim F@itsch

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16858 Post by ClarkstonMark »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 12th, 2020, 12:45 am
ClarkstonMark wrote: December 11th, 2020, 3:59 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 11th, 2020, 2:15 pm Thanks, guys.

I bought the last 4 pack of the Mackinac Fudge last week, but haven't had one yet. At the same time, I bought four of the last five four packs of the 2019 CBS that were sitting there because that's pretty much the pinnacle of BBAS for my palate. Same story has at least 15 750mLs of the 2018 CBS, too, so I'll hit those up if I ultimately need to (but I'd venture a guess that there's max one more year left on those before they start their decline, for my preferences).

It'll be a terrible thing if CBS never comes back ... but, we've been through this before ... it's coming back ... I mean, it has to, right?!?
I have I think 8-9 of the 2018 CBS 750s left, and agree that I need to drink these up over the next year (or maybe 2, as I'll never drink them that fast). There are still a lot of places in my area of MI that have many cases of the Mack Fudge and the '19 CBS on the floor. I stupidly bought a case of the Mack Fudge from Founders Detroit tap room, and paid $5-6 more per 4 pack then I could get it now. I did not expect such a massive amount of this in distribution.
What prices have you paid for the Mack Fudge? I assume I paid about $25 for the 4pack, but don't actually know because I never looked at the receipt.

The 2019 CBS is still going strong. Think I have maybe 20 - 30 regular size bottles still ... we have at least one a month, enjoying it with bacon and eggs on the weekend. :)
Kroger in MI has cases on floor for 19.99, and if they stick around they could drop another buck or 2. I paid $23.60 at Founders (actually thought I paid more than that when I stated the $5-6 premium above).
I'd say $20-25 is typical depending on where you are buying.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16859 Post by Rick Allen »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 12th, 2020, 12:42 am
Rick Allen wrote: December 11th, 2020, 7:36 pm Brian, I just shipped 25 cases of Rauch Bock to CA. Look for it. Not as smoky as Schlenkerla, but close.
flirtysmile

When did they depart, Rick? And is this the same recipe you did with Wayfinder? That brew was beyond amazing.

ETA: nevermind. I remember now: the Wayfinder collabo was a Helles. ... the Rauch Bock is heavier, yes?
It should have arrived at the distributor yesterday. This batch is definitely different. Dark, a little roasty with a bigger smoke presence. It's around 35% smoked malt. The Rauch Helles was more like 15% smoked malt.

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16860 Post by TimF »

White Elm Champurrado Stout. One of the best beers of the year for me. Reminiscent of Dark Lord Chemtrailmix. I love the spices in this one.
Attachments
6ED7A99C-556B-4C52-90BA-976F9425952B.jpeg
Tim F@itsch

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16861 Post by BRhoades »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 12th, 2020, 12:41 am KRBC - "Citra" DIPA

My first time with this beer --- never did have a chance to try it when it was all the rage. Just about done with my first can now, and I have to say, I get it. This is a damn good West Coast double. Bitter, but not like chewing a pine branch. Scary-easy to drink at 8%. Very happy to have 3 more cans, none of which will survive the weekend.
Stoked you grabbed some.This is as close to the OG circa 2012 that I've had to date, just a classic well made delicious west coast DIPA.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time~Bud

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16862 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Spotted cow

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16863 Post by TimF »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: December 12th, 2020, 5:46 pm Spotted cow
Popular in the hockey locker room.
Tim F@itsch

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16864 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

TimF wrote: December 12th, 2020, 4:33 am I’ve been paying about $22 for a four pack of the Mackinac.

Anyone else having trouble posting pictures?
Found my receipt; that's what I paid, too.

Had a '19 CBS today ... so.damn.good!

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16865 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Rick Allen wrote: December 12th, 2020, 7:25 am
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 12th, 2020, 12:42 am
flirtysmile

It should have arrived at the distributor yesterday. This batch is definitely different. Dark, a little roasty with a bigger smoke presence. It's around 35% smoked malt. The Rauch Helles was more like 15% smoked malt.
Who's your distributor, again? Lime?

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16866 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

BRhoades wrote: December 12th, 2020, 5:36 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 12th, 2020, 12:41 am KRBC - "Citra" DIPA

Stoked you grabbed some.This is as close to the OG circa 2012 that I've had to date, just a classic well made delicious west coast DIPA.

Cheers,

Bud
So so good! I still think somebody else may have snagged a remaining four pack during the 10 min. between me texting you and going back for another 4 pack. As it turns out, yesterday was a Champagne day (Champagne and popcorn Zoom tasting with some family), so some of these KRBCs managed to survive the weekend. [wow.gif]

Matt Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16867 Post by Matt Allen »

I strongly prefer CBS, and even the KBS Espesso, to the Mackinac Fudge.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16868 Post by Rick Allen »

Brian, Lime is our distributor.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16869 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming, Rick. I'll call 'em to find out where the Rauch Bock ended-up.

ETA: actually, I found their email, so contacted them that way. Thanks again for the heads-up, Rick!

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16870 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Arrow Lodge - "Arrowmatic" DIPA

A West Coast DIPA with Citra and Mosaic, the Mosaic being obvious. I love the Mosaic hop --- its bright, bouncy, voice resonates with me. 8%, so not terribly strong for a double, and it is downright delicious! Drinks light than it is. 10/10 beer for me. And this continues an unbroken string of Excellent beers I've had from Arrow Lodge. They're out of Covina, CA. I've never heard of them before ... rather, just started buying them randomly at my local beer store. The name is terrible (imo), but don't let that put you off --- these beers are legit.

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16871 Post by BRhoades »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 17th, 2020, 12:07 am Arrow Lodge - "Arrowmatic" DIPA

A West Coast DIPA with Citra and Mosaic, the Mosaic being obvious. I love the Mosaic hop --- its bright, bouncy, voice resonates with me. 8%, so not terribly strong for a double, and it is downright delicious! Drinks light than it is. 10/10 beer for me. And this continues an unbroken string of Excellent beers I've had from Arrow Lodge. They're out of Covina, CA. I've never heard of them before ... rather, just started buying them randomly at my local beer store. The name is terrible (imo), but don't let that put you off --- these beers are legit.
Thanks for that PSA Brian, Ive actually been hearing good things about these guys lately. Need to grab a few soon,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16872 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

The hazies I've had from Arrow Lodge have been excellent, Bud. Happy hunting!

DaveStandridge
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16873 Post by DaveStandridge »

Claim 52 Sup Mello Hazy IPA - I'm a huge fan of Claim 52 out of Eugene. This one is 6%, has lots of lemon citrus and drinks easy, however, it has a bit more resin to it and doesn't have as clean of finish as some of their others

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16874 Post by BRhoades »

Monkish Brewing Co. Insert Hip Hop Reference Here, TIPA, 10.1% ABV. Hopped entirely with Galaxy hops, collaboration with Trillium Brewing Co.

This is the latest iteration in this ongoing collaboration series with Trillium and it's by far the best. There's only a handful of breweries IMHO that brew TIPA's that showcase the hop bill, hide the ABV and are as brilliantly balanced as this and Monkish is one of those. This is a showcase for super high quality Galaxy hops that offers up gorgeous aromatics and layers of ripe tropical fruits, candied pineapple being the most obvious, on a decadent pillowy soft creamy body. This is a beer to sit down and sip on for an hour or so, it's Monkish at its best.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on December 17th, 2020, 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16875 Post by BRhoades »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 17th, 2020, 9:37 am The hazies I've had from Arrow Lodge have been excellent, Bud. Happy hunting!
Thanks buddy, I'll keep an eye open for them.

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16876 Post by BRhoades »

Monkish Brewing Co. Blind Pug. IPA. 7% ABV. Hopped with Citra, Cascade, Centennial and Nelson. With all the attention focused on Henrys' hazy program and rightfully so It often goes unmentioned that the guy brews some of the best west coast styled IPAs available. This is pure satisfaction with bright zesty hop aromas and flavors.It's all in here, pithy citrus, lots of bittersweet grapefruit and orange along with sticky resiny pine notes. The body is crisp lean and bone dry and is super refreshing. The name and can art obviously are a nod to the legendary Russian River Blind Pig IPA and both Vinnie and Natalie gave Henry and team complete approval on the branding.

Highly Recommend,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16877 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Very cool, Bud! I'm going to pick one little nit, though: Monkish beers aren't really "available" in the practical sense of the word.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16878 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

for my part, I'm finishing up a New Glory - "Ubahdank" IPA at the moment. West Coast style. Not really my thing --- it's fairly floral; no pine; no citrus; maybe some melon? It's not bad, it's just not to my liking. Glad I only bought a single can.

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16879 Post by BRhoades »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 19th, 2020, 8:31 pm Very cool, Bud! I'm going to pick one little nit, though: Monkish beers aren't really "available" in the practical sense of the word.
I'll counter and say that Monkish beers have never been more easy to obtain. The online releases last for days now, I get more Monkish now than ever before, granted they'll never be shelf beers but they are really easy to get if you have a couple minutes to order on line.

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16880 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

BRhoades wrote: December 19th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 19th, 2020, 8:31 pm Very cool, Bud! I'm going to pick one little nit, though: Monkish beers aren't really "available" in the practical sense of the word.
I'll counter and say that Monkish beers have never been more easy to obtain. The online releases last for days now, I get more Monkish now than ever before, granted they'll never be shelf beers but they are really easy to get if you have a couple minutes to order on line.

Cheers,

Bud
Well, hell ... if they are seriously lasting for "days" now, I guess I can hit refresh on their page once a day in an effort to catch something. I am not on Twitter, I don't monitor Insta, and have no interest in doing either just to get some beer. I will, however, click a button once a day. :D

Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16881 Post by Brian Lynch »

Cheers,

Bud
Do they ship outside CA?
The Waterboys

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16882 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Founders - KBS Mackinac Fudge --- mmmmm, I like this. I like it more than the regular KBS (which is just too bitter for me to pay its asking price), but not as much as CBS. Not likely to be a re-buy for me.

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16883 Post by BRhoades »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 19th, 2020, 9:15 pm

Cheers,

Bud
Well, hell ... if they are seriously lasting for "days" now, I guess I can hit refresh on their page once a day in an effort to catch something. I am not on Twitter, I don't monitor Insta, and have no interest in doing either just to get some beer. I will, however, click a button once a day. :D
They are releasing beers Monday Tuesday and Wednesday this week, you'll be able to get pretty much whatever you want. Foggy Window,one of their classics took three days to sell through a couple weeks ago, they're brewing much larger batches these days, usually in the 400+ case count, with so many other great options out there people are no longer hitting the refresh button at 9:59am anymore. ! The FOMO has definitely faded big time at Monkish.

Cheers

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on December 20th, 2020, 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16884 Post by BRhoades »

Brian Lynch wrote: December 20th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Cheers,

Bud
Do they ship outside CA?
No they do not Brian.

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16885 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Monkish pickup truck as super easy, as well. Pulled up, popped the trunk and was good to go.
Instagram at @akgrill

Curtis Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16886 Post by Curtis Chen »

BRhoades wrote: December 20th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Cheers,

Bud
They are releasing beers Monday Tuesday and Wednesday this week, you'll be able to get pretty much whatever you want. Foggy Window,one of their classics took three days to sell through a couple weeks ago, they're brewing much larger batches these days, usually in the 400+ case count, with so many other great options out there people are no longer hitting the refresh button at 9:59am anymore. ! The FOMO has definitely faded big time at Monkish.

Cheers

Bud
Purchased the Foggy and enjoyed that juicy goodness immensely. Prefer it to all the DDH they're putting out these days.

Btw, honorable mention to Parish Ghost in the Machine-- that DDH is crazy good.

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16887 Post by ClarkstonMark »

Cheers,

Bud

Cheers

Bud
Did they shift the releases to next week?
Also, do you have to pick up the same day you order? Or could you order a Tuesday release and pick it up on Wednesday?
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16888 Post by BRhoades »

ClarkstonMark wrote: December 21st, 2020, 3:12 pm

Cheers

Bud
Did they shift the releases to next week?
Also, do you have to pick up the same day you order? Or could you order a Tuesday release and pick it up on Wednesday?
Yes they did, something happened to cause them to cancel this weeks three day curbside pickups, I heard it could have been the canning line. You have to pick up the same day you ordered.

Cheers,

Bud

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16889 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

These are really creamy, balanced stouts from Oklahoma. A holiday splurge for sure.
CA3D2C82-0B68-46EA-B499-BE82B1ABB32F.jpeg
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16890 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Love Prairie beers. Do not love their prices, however. For a hot minute there, one of the Saisons of theirs that I love was available in 4 packs --- I bought the hell outta them while I could.

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16891 Post by Abbie S. »

My husband and I are sharing this right now. It's been in our fridge for a good year. It's quite good, but the tartness overpowers the cherries, spices and bourbon.

Attachments
IMG_9248.jpg
salovon

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16892 Post by Paul Miller »

2013 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.
Going down smooth and easy.

EqBv6XlXYAYIni4.jpg

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16893 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Damn, I love great Pilsner.

Ex Novo Perle Haggard on draught from The Yard in Salem, OR. GD, 10 oz of this hits the spot on a depressing call weekend.

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16894 Post by BRhoades »

Opened this up on NYE and it was beautiful.

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16895 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Nice, Bud!! And the Belgian label, ta boot. :)

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16896 Post by BRhoades »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 3:21 pm Nice, Bud!! And the Belgian label, ta boot. :)
Sooooo Good Brian !!

Cheers

Bud

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16897 Post by BRhoades »

Fieldwork Brewing, Emperor Citra. DDH DIPA.8.7% ABV.Hopped entirely with Citra hops. Just another fantastic all Citra beer from FW. The aromatics are huge, it's straight OJ. Flavor profile follow suite with some cool shadings of mango and peach. I ordered this through their fantastic on-line instate shipping program.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16898 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

BRhoades wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 3:26 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 3:21 pm Nice, Bud!! And the Belgian label, ta boot. :)
Sooooo Good Brian !!

Cheers

Bud
daaaaahhh ... you're killin' me! Softened - somewhat - by a recent Hommage.

Also recently tried a Holy Mountain - Saison. For non-specific reasons, I was expecting something a lot more than the "good -- very good" that it was.

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16899 Post by TimF »

BRhoades wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:18 pm Image

Opened this up on NYE and it was beautiful.

Cheers,

Bud
How old is this? My wife picked up some in Ireland several years ago. Don’t think I ever opened any.
Tim F@itsch

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16900 Post by Paul Miller »

13177ECD-458B-4442-B975-49A70DB39EEF.jpeg

Return to “Beer and Spirits”