What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16651 Post by Brian Lynch » June 8th, 2020, 9:54 am

William Segui wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 4:40 pm
BRhoades wrote:
May 30th, 2020, 3:07 pm
Fieldwork Brewing Co. DDH Pulp IPA, 6.9% ABV. hopped entirely with Citra hops. The good old regular Pulp could very well be my favorite single hopped IPA. I have heard stories of this in DDH form but it has always eluded me. Thanks to Will Segui who kindly gave me the heads up that this was going to drop Thursday, I immediately jumped at the opportunity and grabbed my max allotment of 12 cans. Shipped overnight via GLS cold storage it arrived still cool to the touch. The nose is all sweet candied oranges. The flavor is layers and layers of every conceivable orange variety you can imagine.Sweet tangerine, tiny Cuties, Navels, etc. etc. you get them all and more. There's hints of ripe mango and papaya with sweet orange marmalade to balance it all together.. This is still super young and will flesh out more in a few days, BUT, I had to taste a one day fresh can ! It's everything I was hoping it could be and will even be more as it get's a little can age on it.
Glad you were able to get some - they weren't up very long. And I agree, I do think a few days helps these round into shape. Please post another note if you find an appreciable change good or bad!
Really enjoyed tasting their lineup at Oxbow last January. All were excellent. Do they just ship in-state, or beyond?
The Waterboys

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16652 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 8th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Was not what I was expecting, based on experience with the rest of their IPA line-up, so i re-read the can and saw it was a Pale Ale :)
Attachments
5C1F72EC-15E7-41E3-96E8-F0967B29FF7E.jpeg
Instagram at @akgrill

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16653 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 8th, 2020, 6:30 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 4:12 pm
Pulled this out of the trunk and got the party started with family!
I assume a collabo between Open Baladin and Stone? Style? Did you like it?
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16654 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 8th, 2020, 7:39 pm

Moonraker - "Space Nectar" NEIPA

Bought on recommendation. Never heard of this brewery. It's legit. Leans more crisp than soft/thick.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16655 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 8th, 2020, 9:13 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 6:30 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 4:12 pm
Pulled this out of the trunk and got the party started with family!
I assume a collabo between Open Baladin and Stone? Style? Did you like it?
Enjoyed it quite a bit for a Strong Ale. Was brewed in 2017, got it from a buddy I used to buy beer from. Incredibly smooth and, while the alcohol wasn’t overpowering, you certainly knew it was there. Would definitely drink again.

https://www.arrogantconsortia.com/beer/ ... GatePassed
Instagram at @akgrill

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16656 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 9th, 2020, 12:11 pm

Cool tipple!

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16657 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 9th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Continuing to make my way through the RRB line-up. CFJ-90 is their 100% double dry-hopped Centennial release, which tastes like IPA and... pears?
Attachments
A9308004-697A-4390-B62F-736522EB99C1.jpeg
1F198619-BB40-4374-A2A2-6031B64CF9FC.jpeg
Last edited by Andrew Kotowski on June 9th, 2020, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram at @akgrill

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16658 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 9th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Oooh! Would love to try that RRB NEIPA! Nice pull on that one!

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16659 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 9th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Just had a pFriem Triple on draught, smooth af.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

BRhoades

#16660 Post by BRhoades » June 9th, 2020, 5:57 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 3:35 pm
Just had a pFriem Triple on draught, smooth af.
pFriem is one brewery I thought and hoped we'd see more of in So Cal. thanks to Covid and home/ and better bottle shop delivery programs.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time~Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16661 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 10th, 2020, 10:04 am

June 9th, 2020, 2:52 pm
Happy to keep a can or two on hand if you’re in San Diego this weekend. I just had some stuff land in San Jose, so I’m now a traveling liquor store, considering the Pliny and Blind Pig I have in tow. Totally going to try the Monkish pick-up, but am not optimistic based on Bud’s comments. May even consider an Alpine trek, as I am hanging out at a BBQ place in Spring Valley Sat afternoon.
Attachments
EA10269B-19BA-4C1F-B69A-E77EEEC2653A.jpeg
Instagram at @akgrill

BRhoades

#16662 Post by BRhoades » June 10th, 2020, 10:24 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 10:04 am
Happy to keep a can or two on hand if you’re in San Diego this weekend. I just had some stuff land in San Jose, so I’m now a traveling liquor store, considering the Pliny and Blind Pig I have in tow. Totally going to try the Monkish pick-up, but am not optimistic based on Bud’s comments. May even consider an Alpine trek, as I am hanging out at a BBQ place in Spring Valley Sat afternoon.
Andrew, Monkish is done with on line sales for the week, they did 3 different cans yesterday, appox 200 cases each and today I see they dropped two more different cans at appox 200 cases each, all sold out in less than one minute. The brewery is closed other than on the days they do the curbside pick ups for these ridiculous on line can releases. I would HIGHLY recommend you hit up Green Cheek in Costa Mesa, Evan is brewing hazies that are as good if not better than Monkish and his west coast game is world class. They have cans to go too. If you have to have a can of Monkish drop by our home on your way down to San Diego and I'll give you one.

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16663 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 10th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
Very kind offer, Andrew. Alas, I will remain holed-up in Torrance. [drinkers.gif]

In other news: last night I had a "Secret Secrets" from North Park Brewing. A DDH NEIIPA featuring Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy hops. Yo, man!! Really nice beer; my favorite of the three I recently purchased by North Park.

BRhoades

#16664 Post by BRhoades » June 10th, 2020, 4:21 pm

Green Cheek Beer Co. Listen To My Eyes. DIPA 8.7% ABV. Hopped with Citra and Motueka hops.

Ever since Evan opened Green Cheek Too, the newest Green Cheek location a scant 18 miles from my home I have had the great fortune of being able to drink a wide variety of his beers than ever before. For those who may remember the halcyon days at Noble Ale Works with all those great Shower Series and Tongue Tickles west coast DIPAs the man behind all those classics was Evan Price, now the owner and brewmaster at Green Cheek Beer Co. This latest release is another example of his world class haze game. IMHO Green Cheeks hazies are as good if not better than Monkish, his TIPAs are without a doubt far better than Monkish TIPAs. What makes these beers so damn good ? They're drinkable, they are not palate fatiguing, hey I love Monkish but after a 16oz can of a 8.5% heavy thick DIPA I'm toast, Evans beers focus more on the drinkability factor, and his geekiness with water treatment. This beer is crammed full of ripe sweet citrus, big tropical notes, summer stone fruits and fleshy melons, the body like all Green Cheek beers is soft and full but incredibly light. They drink way down from their posted ABVs. Even better. most releases last a few days and are available at the brewery for pick up. His west coast IPA game, like his previous creations at Noble are world class and I'll be posting a review of his latest west coast DIPA can release soon.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on June 11th, 2020, 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BRhoades

#16665 Post by BRhoades » June 10th, 2020, 4:25 pm

June 10th, 2020, 2:32 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
Very kind offer, Andrew. Alas, I will remain holed-up in Torrance. [drinkers.gif]

In other news: last night I had a "Secret Secrets" from North Park Brewing. A DDH NEIIPA featuring Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy hops. Yo, man!! Really nice beer; my favorite of the three I recently purchased by North Park.
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the Secret Secrets, North Park is blazing !

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#16666 Post by BRhoades » June 10th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Green Cheek Beer Co. I Knew That Years Ago. California DIPA. 9.2% ABV. Hopped with Strata and Mosaic hops. Canned on 6-4-2020.

Pours a beautiful amber orange with an inch of rocky white head. The nose smells like freshly spun cotton candy, piney resins, dank ripe melons and pithy citrus, classic west coast DNA. Flavors pretty much follow the aromatics with more cantaloup melons, mixed berries and full hoppy bitterness from start to finish with more of that pine cone hoppy resin notes and red grapefruit. For a beer that clocks in at 9%+ABV this drinks more like 7% and is bone dry and crisp. The finish is long and hoppy. A gorgeous west coast DIPA that is scarily crushable for the ABV. Available in cans at both locations.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Curtis Chen

#16667 Post by Curtis Chen » June 10th, 2020, 5:46 pm

Insanely delicious, as usual, by Monkish. Gave a can to Viet, a local OC forumite, and he loved it, too.

I also got a four pack of Parish Brewing DDH Ghost in the Machine. Freaking awesome stuff. Right up there with Monkish, to my [pleasant] surprise.
Attachments
2020-06-10.jpeg
Add me on CellarTracker: C Chen

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16668 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 11th, 2020, 10:17 am

another new-to-me beer last night:

Pariah - "Dank Drank" NEIPA. Out of San Diego. Hops listed: Mosaic, Amarillo, Citra, and Simcoe. Malts: 2-Row, Oats, Wheat. 7% alc.. 55 IBU. Canned on May 1. Assessment: HFS, man. Daayuum! Absolutely **love** this beer! Both Ashley and I initially thought, "That's different and interesting." Neither of us could really put a finger on what made us react that way, although I think it's the relatively lean mouthfeel. It's much snappier than your average hazy, and it is not sweet at all. Sadly, I bought this one can to try and have no more. Hopefully the store still has more when I go back later today. This brewery is officially locked on my radar.

BRhoades

#16669 Post by BRhoades » June 11th, 2020, 12:00 pm

June 11th, 2020, 10:17 am
another new-to-me beer last night:

Pariah - "Dank Drank" NEIPA. Out of San Diego. Hops listed: Mosaic, Amarillo, Citra, and Simcoe. Malts: 2-Row, Oats, Wheat. 7% alc.. 55 IBU. Canned on May 1. Assessment: HFS, man. Daayuum! Absolutely **love** this beer! Both Ashley and I initially thought, "That's different and interesting." Neither of us could really put a finger on what made us react that way, although I think it's the relatively lean mouthfeel. It's much snappier than your average hazy, and it is not sweet at all. Sadly, I bought this one can to try and have no more. Hopefully the store still has more when I go back later today. This brewery is officially locked on my radar.
Pariah is next level stuff Brian, glad you found them, some to look for, He Stole My Balloons DIPA, Lebron Haze, 100% Galaxy IPA, Smylex IPA, Only 90's Kids Will Get This DIPA, I believe they just dropped a fresh batch of 90's Kids. I love them for the same reasons, lighter cleaner and not so thick and heavy like a lot of hazies, one reason you need to check out Green Cheek as well.

Cheers,

Bud

Sean M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16670 Post by Sean M » June 11th, 2020, 12:05 pm

BRhoades wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 10:24 am
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
Andrew, Monkish is done with on line sales for the week, they did 3 different cans yesterday, appox 200 cases each and today I see they dropped two more different cans at appox 200 cases each, all sold out in less than one minute. The brewery is closed other than on the days they do the curbside pick ups for these ridiculous on line can releases. I would HIGHLY recommend you hit up Green Cheek in Costa Mesa, Evan is brewing hazies that are as good if not better than Monkish and his west coast game is world class. They have cans to go too. If you have to have a can of Monkish drop by our home on your way down to San Diego and I'll give you one.

Cheers,

Bud
Hey Bud! I don't think that's right, there were rumors of a 3 release week and yesterday's didn't have the "last release for the week" language that past releases did. Pretty sure there will be one tomorrow.
L e e

BRhoades

#16671 Post by BRhoades » June 11th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Sean M wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 12:05 pm
BRhoades wrote:
Andrew Kotowski wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
Hey Bud! I don't think that's right, there were rumors of a 3 release week and yesterday's didn't have the "last release for the week" language that past releases did. Pretty sure there will be one tomorrow.
Well there you go Andrew, hopefully your on your computer with plenty of time to refresh starting at 9:59am -10:30am LOL and you have super fast fingers and your info pre-loaded. Can't wait for the new tasting room to open so we can dump this ridiculous on line stuff. I miss going up and casually filling growers and grabbing cans on Fridays but to be honest I've discovered so many other amazing hazies that I'm not missing Monkish at all.

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16672 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 11th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Hah! I’ll pull over at a rest stop and try on my phone ;). Hopefully, I will have been in the road two hours at that point!

That said, I’m enjoying the hell out of this RRB Double Dry-hopped CFJ-90 Centennial Hazy. It’s pretty solid.
Instagram at @akgrill

Sean M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16673 Post by Sean M » June 11th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 12:31 pm
Hah! I’ll pull over at a rest stop and try on my phone ;). Hopefully, I will have been in the road two hours at that point!

That said, I’m enjoying the hell out of this RRB Double Dry-hopped CFJ-90 Centennial Hazy. It’s pretty solid.
As Bud said, it's not easy, but it's honestly not that difficult (I've never missed a release). Rules of the game:

1. The release will happen between 10 and 10:30, mostly likely between 10:10 and 10:15.
2. Have your info preloaded (I think Google Pay works best).
3. If there's multiple beers released, click one, add to cart, and immediately check out. Repeat for the next beer (I use several windows). Doing it all at once risks that you get zero.
4. Monkish annoyingly includes an auto-tip of 10% that takes 5-10 seconds to remove. Don't bother.
L e e

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16674 Post by PaulMills » June 11th, 2020, 4:39 pm

I just finished off a Revelry Brewing ‘Never Sunny’ New England style IPA. It is one of our hour beers.

I will likely have one or two more tonight. While cutting the grass I located a yellow jacket hive and sustained about eight stings. After figuring out what the heck was going on, I skipped that area, finished off that section of yard giving the hateful things a wide radius, and jumped in the pool. My sweet little wife brought me beer and Benadryl.

BRhoades

#16675 Post by BRhoades » June 12th, 2020, 10:24 am

Sean M wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 12:05 pm
BRhoades wrote:
Andrew Kotowski wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
You were right Sean, and I just happened to be working from home today and got the two I wanted, Mockeries and Foggier Curbside, it was actually pretty easy this morning. Thanks for that heads up on the 3rd drop.

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16676 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 12th, 2020, 10:32 am

Thanks for the heads up - got the order in while driving down I5. Now to figure out where Torrance is :)
Instagram at @akgrill

BRhoades

#16677 Post by BRhoades » June 12th, 2020, 10:44 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 10:32 am
Thanks for the heads up - got the order in while driving down I5. Now to figure out where Torrance is :)
Awesome Andrew, Torrance is in the South Bay area of So Cal off the 405 fwy, exit at Western Ave head south a couple miles and it's hidden in an industrial park right next door to Fantastic Cafe

Maybe I'll see ya there later,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on June 12th, 2020, 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sean M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16678 Post by Sean M » June 12th, 2020, 10:48 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
Highly recommend checking out Smog City after. It's about a tenth of a mile away. Be safe!
L e e

BRhoades

#16679 Post by BRhoades » June 12th, 2020, 11:11 am

Sean M wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 10:48 am
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
Highly recommend checking out Smog City after. It's about a tenth of a mile away. Be safe!
And if time is no object, make sure to hit up Beachwood LB, they have fresh 28 Haze Later cans and a great new Pils in cans to go, then continue down the 405 and drop in to Green Cheek in Costa Mesa, tons of great beers to go from west coast IPAs to DDH DIPA hazies.

Cheers,

Bud

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16680 Post by Travis Fantz » June 12th, 2020, 4:55 pm

I was buying some beer for my sister’s bday recently. I bought one of these for myself.

Any thoughts are guidance on drinking it? I have never had or heard of it before.
Attachments
D7066823-281C-4F3F-A0E1-25748D1092C6.jpeg
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

BRhoades

#16681 Post by BRhoades » June 12th, 2020, 6:30 pm

Travis Fantz wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 4:55 pm
I was buying some beer for my sister’s bday recently. I bought one of these for myself.

Any thoughts are guidance on drinking it? I have never had or heard of it before.

Travis, what you have is a very nice Lambic, its a cuvee that is usually a blend of 1-3 year old lambics that have undergone additional oak/barrel aging, some are finished with lavender and honey. A great food beer, serve at cellar temp in proper stem ware, your in for a treat, look for notes of peach and other stone fruits, orange and funky barnyard.

Cheers,

Bud

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16682 Post by Travis Fantz » June 12th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Thanks Bud.
So is it sweet? I feel like every Lambic has had some sweetness.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16683 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 13th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Toasting Bud with some Dankster’s Paradise.
Attachments
25A4EA1D-877F-4DA5-B783-AD946C05460D.jpeg
Instagram at @akgrill

BRhoades

#16684 Post by BRhoades » June 13th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 2:59 pm
I recognize that back yard all too well, which is pretty pathetic LOL ! Where's Fu when I need him? Stoked you got the source, or what's left of the source. What time did you guys roll through Monkish yesterday ? Have fun ! If time allows while in San Diego try to get over to North Park Beer Co. and Harland, you won't regret it,Bottlecraft will have Pariah cans too, another one you should try.

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on June 13th, 2020, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRhoades

#16685 Post by BRhoades » June 13th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Travis Fantz wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 6:37 pm
Thanks Bud.
Travis, not sweet per se, dive in and give us your thoughts !

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16686 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 16th, 2020, 6:22 pm

BRhoades wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 4:08 pm
Travis Fantz wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 6:37 pm
Thanks Bud.
Travis, not sweet per se, dive in and give us your thoughts !

Cheers,

Bud
Hi Travis,

It appears you have a bottle of Drie Fonteinen's Oude Gueuze "Cuvee Armand and Gaston," which is made using a blend of 1, 2, and 3 yo lambics made exclusively at the Drie Fonteinen brewery (they have, in the past, used a blend of lambics from various producers).

It is not sweet. Nowhere close to sweet.

You can drink now, or age for 20+ years.

It's an excellent example of the beer style.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16687 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 16th, 2020, 10:10 pm

BRhoades wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 4:04 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
I recognize that back yard all too well, which is pretty pathetic LOL ! Where's Fu when I need him? Stoked you got the source, or what's left of the source. What time did you guys roll through Monkish yesterday ? Have fun ! If time allows while in San Diego try to get over to North Park Beer Co. and Harland, you won't regret it,Bottlecraft will have Pariah cans too, another one you should try.

Cheers,

Bud
I knew you’d get a kick out of that shot; had to make the trek after reading so many of your posts.

I’ve got wayyyy too much beer for the road right now. Looking at 36 cans/bottles and nobody else with me drinking beer for 2 weeks. That’s not including a split case of Pliny/Blind Pig I have for friends in AL when I finally get there.

In San Antonio now and dig into the Monkish. Definitely good beer, but the two I picked up were not what I was expecting. Will see how they fill out over the next couple of weeks, as I’m still finishing off some Trillium.
Instagram at @akgrill

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16688 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 16th, 2020, 11:33 pm

2015 Hanssens Artisanaal Oude Kriek - Belgium, Flanders, Dworp (6/13/2020)
Still has tons of cherry flavor. High acidity, but kind of in the middle ground as far as lambic is concerned. Despite being 5 years old, tastes incredibly young. Probably needs another 5 years before it starts showing meaningful aged character. Very nice.

BRhoades

#16689 Post by BRhoades » June 17th, 2020, 8:43 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:10 pm
BRhoades wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 4:04 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
I knew you’d get a kick out of that shot; had to make the trek after reading so many of your posts.

I’ve got wayyyy too much beer for the road right now. Looking at 36 cans/bottles and nobody else with me drinking beer for 2 weeks. That’s not including a split case of Pliny/Blind Pig I have for friends in AL when I finally get there.

In San Antonio now and dig into the Monkish. Definitely good beer, but the two I picked up were not what I was expecting. Will see how they fill out over the next couple of weeks, as I’m still finishing off some Trillium.
Most all Monkish need a week at least to knit together so I'm not surprised to hear that. Glad you got "up the hill" Have a safe trip.

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#16690 Post by BRhoades » June 19th, 2020, 10:34 am

Monkish Brewing Co.Mockeries.TIPA 10.3%ABV. Hopped with Citra Mosaic and Galaxy hops. Lucked out into a four pack with last Friday's on line release and testing the waters at a week out. Massive dank ripe tropical fruits, oranges, stone fruits on the nose. Flavor profile falls right in line with super sweet pineapple, tangerine, papaya and passion fruits with hints of very ripe summer peach. The body is big and full, it's a big boy beer, but it somehow manages to stay dry and hoppy bitter through the long citrus pith finish. The epitome of a world class west coast hazy TIPA.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16691 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 19th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Arrow Lodge Brewing - "Dank Goodness" west coast IPA
hopped with Nelson and Mosaic
Seems to be a hybrid style. Juicy with a hint of snap. Lovely combination of Nelson and Mosaic, two of my most favorite hops; this beer finds a way to let them both shine. First time with this brewery; won't be the last. Out of Covina, CA.

BRhoades

#16692 Post by BRhoades » June 20th, 2020, 4:46 pm

Green Cheek Beer Co. DDH The Other Brian. DIPA.8.5% ABV Hopped entirely with Citra hops. The OG gets the DDH treatment for this 3rd anniversary release and it loves it. It's amazing how complex the nose can be on a DIPA hopped with only Citra hops, you get a barrage of ripe pineapple, tangerine, navel orange's and sweet ripe papaya. Flavors stay true to the nose. There is sticky sweet Hawaiian pineapple, that soft fleshy papaya and sweet tangerine. The body is light on it's feet for 8.5% ABV but still manages to feel medium to medium plus. The palate transitions to a long juicy finish. The layers of complexity both aromatically and flavor wise with this beer are amazing. With every new Green Cheek release lately I tell myself that these guys are on that Monkish level when it comes to world class west coast haze. With the last string of releases over the last month or so I think there could be a new sheriff in town, Evans hazies are just so approachable, always drink well below their listed ABV and are as complex and layered as they come, PLUS, you can drink a few without the palate fatigue that often accompanies beers in the same category from other top notch breweries. This was part of the 3rd Anniversary release that has taken place this weekend beginning yesterday afternoon. Brewery only.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16693 Post by John Osburn » June 24th, 2020, 4:38 pm

[img]
B1B0EB87-C1BA-49D9-B57E-556077BA2EFF.jpeg
attachment=0]A185E9D8-EEA3-4AA2-93E8-A764AD2BFBFF.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=1]C72D9761-53D7

This was quite delicious the other evening...
Attachments
E4A10796-5C63-4C53-A192-E0DC5BB22B28.jpeg

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16694 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 25th, 2020, 7:42 am

Block 15 Sticky Hands has landed on draught locally.

Hallelujah.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16695 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 25th, 2020, 10:16 am

Drinking through the rest of my Blind Pigs while on the road.

@Glenn (or Scott) - have you tried this year’s Three Way?
Instagram at @akgrill

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16696 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 26th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Swami's
[drinkers.gif]

BRhoades

#16697 Post by BRhoades » June 27th, 2020, 5:17 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Rock The Heavens. DDH DIPA. Hopped with Riwaka, Citra and Centennial hops. 8.3% ABV. The star of the show are these amazing hand selected Riwaka hops Henry contracted on his last trip to Freestyle Farms in New Zealand. To me, high quality Riwaka creates a hop profile mash up of Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy. It's all on display with this new recipe. Add in Citra and Centennial and the result is an amazingly complex aromatic beer. The nose is reminiscent of Nelson, it's dank and earthy with a faint petrol note, ripe stone fruits and bright citrus wrap it up. On the palate RTH offers sweet tangerine, pineapple, guava, papaya, white peach and green grapes. A nice medium body carries the beer to a long hoppy bitter sweet finish. I hope Henry puts this into some kind of regular rotation, it really is one of Monkish's best new beers in a long time, hell it's a great Monkish beer period. I lucked out yesterday and was able to grab two four packs via their curb-side on line platform.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Scott Tallman

#16698 Post by Scott Tallman » July 1st, 2020, 3:37 pm

Andrew K - I can report that the 2020 3-Way IPA is...fine. Like last year, a hazy/West Coast hybrid with a slight lean towards hazy with the hop bitterness kicking in on the finish. Not upset to own a 4 pack, but would rather just drink Fields of Green or Fuzz
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16699 Post by Andrew Kotowski » July 1st, 2020, 7:15 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 3:37 pm
Andrew K - I can report that the 2020 3-Way IPA is...fine. Like last year, a hazy/West Coast hybrid with a slight lean towards hazy with the hop bitterness kicking in on the finish. Not upset to own a 4 pack, but would rather just drink Fields of Green or Fuzz
Drinking one as I type. I am enjoying it a bit more, probably because I have OD’d on the hazies lately. Feels like we’re back in the PNW wheelhouse. Haven’t enjoy les Fuzz anywhere near as much as FoG, which is just spectacular, every release.
Instagram at @akgrill

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16700 Post by Mike Maguire » July 1st, 2020, 8:18 pm

Headed to the Oregon coast tomorrow, Astoria is a definite stop.As an aside, make Bowpicker a stop for some of the best fish&chips you’ll ever have.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”