Page 325 of 325

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: July 29th, 2019, 4:49 pm
by Ramon C
Occasional beer drinker here and gets excited when had one that rocked my boat. This did - IPA, made-brewed in Japan, awesome orange color, good warm-or-cold weather beer, and terrific with crispy pig’s ears and tsukemen ramen at NYC’s Momosan.

Beer = Ozeno Yukidoke IPA


AD9A2502-7EEB-4B9C-B55C-7984295BC81D.jpeg

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: July 29th, 2019, 7:51 pm
by Andrew Kotowski
Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 4:24 pm
Having my first Ft. George 3-Way this season and Andrew, you're wrong. This is delicious.
Am glad you like it; I had another pour on draft tonight and continue to believe it’s a confused beer, trying to find a middle ground between a hazy and a Pac NW IPA. I thought it was thin, missing malt in the middle and awkwardly bitter at the end. I think I’m usually pretty damn close to you, palatewise, so god only knows why we’re so off on this one.

Also had a HUB Ace of Spades, which continues to be a malt bomb. I’ve been drinking this for 15 years now and it has gone from one of my favorites to meh.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: July 29th, 2019, 9:44 pm
by Glenn L e v i n e
There are different 3-Ways this year, three of them! I don’t have the skinny but the one with Idaho hops is reportedly best.

Idaho 7, Citra, Cashmere are the hops this time around and there different batches.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: July 31st, 2019, 6:09 pm
by BRhoades
Image

Tree House Summer DIPA. 8.1% ABV. Hopped with Citra, Amarillo and Magnum hops. Showcases that beautiful softness that Tree House is known for from the nose through the palate. It smells like fresh squeezed orange juice and ripe papaya. It tastes like a citrus sorbet and sweet stone fruits. There is just enough bitter citrus pith to balance it out and it shows on the wonderful long dry bitter sweet finish. A showcase of delicate austerity that somehow enables all the aromatic and flavor complexities to stand out on their own so seamlessly. Thank you Jorge.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 1st, 2019, 5:56 am
by Jorge Henriquez
Glad you got em Bud!

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 2nd, 2019, 2:44 pm
by Jim Stewart
Hill Farmstead Vera Mae 2018
"And now for something completely different". . . A couple of months ago my daughter brought me back two 750's from Hill Farmstead, Arthur and this one. I have had and enjoyed Arthur before and I gave it to someone who I thought might enjoy it. We opened the Vera Mae today. First sip was shockingly sour in a bad way and reminded us of our first taste of a lambic. Not like any "Saison" that we have had before. We decided to keep sipping away at it and are happy we did. As we adjusted to the fact that this beer did not meet our EXPECTATIONS, we began to enjoy this different taste. Lemony sour and tart. Refreshing. Kind of delicious. It is described on the bottle as a "Spring Blosson Ale brewed with flowers and honey and aged in wine barrels". The ingredients show the flowers to be dandelions!

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 2nd, 2019, 4:16 pm
by Andrew Kotowski
Glenn will be proud of me :)

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 2nd, 2019, 4:19 pm
by BRhoades
Image

Tree House Doubleganger DDH DIPA 8.2% ABV, No hop bill listed. The epitome of a world class NEDIPA. So incredibly delicate and soft with layers of citrus, tropical and stone fruits galore. Beautifully balanced. Thank you Señor Henriquez for the amazing TH beer package and Fu for tossing this in for me as well.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 2nd, 2019, 4:29 pm
by BRhoades
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:16 pm
Glenn will be proud of me :)
Nice..........

Cheers,

Bud

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 2nd, 2019, 6:53 pm
by Brian G r a f s t r o m
Modern Times pours:
"Techno Comforts" - NEIIPA. Hopped with Cashmere, Motueka, Centennial, Cascade, and Huell Melon. Plus tangerines and Sauv. Blanc. grape must.

I wouldn't normally order this, but I took it on recommendation, and I'm glad I did. It's pretty damn good! Can definitely taste the tangerines. Very citrusy. I'd order it again.

******************

"Omni Void" - NEIIPA: hopped with Citra and Motueka.

This is excellent. My style of hazy, as it leans a bit more bitter and white grapefruity. Prefer this to the Techno Comforts.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 3rd, 2019, 10:03 am
by Glenn L e v i n e
BRhoades wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:29 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:16 pm
Glenn will be proud of me :)
Nice..........

Cheers,

Bud
Love everything Heretic!

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 3rd, 2019, 3:31 pm
by Andrew Kotowski
Modern Times MT6! - nothing like the MT5 I remembered, exceedingly tart. Good beer after the tart bite wears off, but a let down after the epic beer that was MT5.

Modern Times Nova Colony - holy sourness. I did not enjoy, but Scott, Charlie, etc will likely think it’s their beer of the year.

Alavarado Street American IPA - good beer, no haze, but of a bite at the end. Nice on a warm day.

Alpine Nelson IPA (Rye) - oh have the mighty have fallen

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 3rd, 2019, 3:43 pm
by Andrew Kotowski
In the immortal words of the poet Juvenile...

Back that ass up!

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 3rd, 2019, 4:18 pm
by BRhoades
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 3:31 pm
Modern Times MT6! - nothing like the MT5 I remembered, exceedingly tart. Good beer after the tart bite wears off, but a let down after the epic beer that was MT5.

Modern Times Nova Colony - holy sourness. I did not enjoy, but Scott, Charlie, etc will likely think it’s their beer of the year.

Alavarado Street American IPA - good beer, no haze, but of a bite at the end. Nice on a warm day.

Alpine Nelson IPA (Rye) - oh have the mighty have fallen
Completely agree with you Andrew on the MT6! It's good beer but far from the MT5! and the epic DDHMT5!, and yes, oh my, the mighty have fallen. I hope Fu isn't reading this yet as I gave him a bottle when we had lunch together this week. The last batch showed promise, so when I heard they were canning and bottling Nelson under Shawns leadership I held out hope this would get even closer, no such deal. It's not a bad beer as far as a unfiltered west coast IPA goes but it lacks any of the OG's traits.

Cheers,

Bud

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 3rd, 2019, 4:44 pm
by Andrew Kotowski
Funny you wrote that re: Alpine, as the ONLY reason I ordered was that I have seen post after post from you on Alpine’s Nelson-hopped beers. I’d read your posts on the post-Green Flash decline, but was holding out hope for the Nelson beer.

I picked some other random beers up (mostly Alvarado Street, which is on a year out of Monterey) and will post if they’re any good. Staying down in Walnut Creek for a week and my brother restocked his bar after a tour in Africa... so we’ll be splitting time between IPAs, Rochioli and older Kosta Browne wines, and old school Havana Club daiquiris!

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 3rd, 2019, 9:52 pm
by c fu
BRhoades wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 4:18 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 3:31 pm
Modern Times MT6! - nothing like the MT5 I remembered, exceedingly tart. Good beer after the tart bite wears off, but a let down after the epic beer that was MT5.

Modern Times Nova Colony - holy sourness. I did not enjoy, but Scott, Charlie, etc will likely think it’s their beer of the year.

Alavarado Street American IPA - good beer, no haze, but of a bite at the end. Nice on a warm day.

Alpine Nelson IPA (Rye) - oh have the mighty have fallen
Completely agree with you Andrew on the MT6! It's good beer but far from the MT5! and the epic DDHMT5!, and yes, oh my, the mighty have fallen. I hope Fu isn't reading this yet as I gave him a bottle when we had lunch together this week. The last batch showed promise, so when I heard they were canning and bottling Nelson under Shawns leadership I held out hope this would get even closer, no such deal. It's not a bad beer as far as a unfiltered west coast IPA goes but it lacks any of the OG's traits.

Cheers,

Bud
drinking it now. it's not bad.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 4th, 2019, 11:09 am
by BRhoades
c fu wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 9:52 pm
BRhoades wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 4:18 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 3:31 pm
Modern Times MT6! - nothing like the MT5 I remembered, exceedingly tart. Good beer after the tart bite wears off, but a let down after the epic beer that was MT5.

Modern Times Nova Colony - holy sourness. I did not enjoy, but Scott, Charlie, etc will likely think it’s their beer of the year.

Alavarado Street American IPA - good beer, no haze, but of a bite at the end. Nice on a warm day.

Alpine Nelson IPA (Rye) - oh have the mighty have fallen
Completely agree with you Andrew on the MT6! It's good beer but far from the MT5! and the epic DDHMT5!, and yes, oh my, the mighty have fallen. I hope Fu isn't reading this yet as I gave him a bottle when we had lunch together this week. The last batch showed promise, so when I heard they were canning and bottling Nelson under Shawns leadership I held out hope this would get even closer, no such deal. It's not a bad beer as far as a unfiltered west coast IPA goes but it lacks any of the OG's traits.

Cheers,

Bud
drinking it now. it's not bad.
Maybe can's will closer ? It's not a bad beer by any stretch and as it warms it tickles the memory slightly.

Cheers,

Bud

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 5th, 2019, 5:20 am
by Dennis Atick
Finally got to try Electric Brewing this weekend. Chapters of Repugnance is a DDH hazy NE-style IPA. Layers of creamy- milk sugar trop fruit goodness. Deserves its high praise. Up there with Treehouse and Monkish for my palate. Very good.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 5th, 2019, 5:49 pm
by BRhoades
Image

Russian River and Karl Strauss Brewing. New California IPA. 6.5% ABV. Hopped with Pahto,Ekuanot, Amarillo and Idaho 7 hops. Utterly delicious crushable west coast IPA from these two veteran California breweries. It's piney with lots of bitter citrus pith and is hoppy AF and finishes bone dry just like this style should. There is a lot of RR DNA all over this baby.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 5th, 2019, 8:23 pm
by Andrew Kotowski
Have been wading my way through a bunch of week old Pliny and Blind Pig, which were on the shelf at While Foods in Walnut Creek. That said, I REALLY enjoyed this one by Alvarado Street Brewery (Monterey/Salinas). Was shocked at how much this reminded me of the Modern Times juice bombs I’ve had.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 9th, 2019, 9:43 pm
by Andrew Kotowski
Interesting experience with this one (Maine Beer Company, Another One) - just noticed that the stamped date on it is 12/25/2018. Was still a great beer, but I didn’t get any of the “New England IPA” notes from the BA comments (mango, passion fruit, etc). Still a great beer that was abnormally crisp.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm
by Brian G r a f s t r o m
That beer is not supposed to be a NEIPA, Andrew. It's probably my favorite of their lineup. Or, more precisely, it's not supposed to be a "hazy", as the term is used these days.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 9th, 2019, 9:52 pm
by Andrew Kotowski
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm
That beer is not supposed to be a NEIPA, Andrew. It's probably my favorite of their lineup. Or, more precisely, it's not supposed to be a "hazy", as the term is used these days.
I’m really enjoying it. Thought I was missing something based on the notes... Strikes me as the IPA I’d expect if Rick caved and made one.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 9th, 2019, 10:05 pm
by Scott Tallman
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 9:52 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm
That beer is not supposed to be a NEIPA, Andrew. It's probably my favorite of their lineup. Or, more precisely, it's not supposed to be a "hazy", as the term is used these days.
I’m really enjoying it. Thought I was missing something based on the notes... Strikes me as the IPA I’d expect if Rick caved and made one.
Maine Beer Company makes what I consider the most balanced hoppy beers I’ve ever tried. Whether it’s Lunch, Dinner, this one, or Peeper, they are all just delicious.

Not sure where you procured this, but MBC and Oxbow are the two East Coast breweries that I really wish had distro in the PNW (caveat - I’ve seen and bought some Oxbow at bats in Seattle and bottle shops in Oregon, but very limited selection and quantities available).

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 9th, 2019, 10:46 pm
by Andrew Kotowski
Case of it in the fridge at a liquor store in Lafayette at $6.99/bottle. Also scooped up a Modern Times/Pizza Port collab called Gentle Reminders that I’m looking forward to trying.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 11th, 2019, 1:12 am
by Brian G r a f s t r o m
Gentle Reminder is excellent. I particularly like it on the colder side.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 11th, 2019, 6:07 pm
by Rick Allen
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 9:52 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm
That beer is not supposed to be a NEIPA, Andrew. It's probably my favorite of their lineup. Or, more precisely, it's not supposed to be a "hazy", as the term is used these days.
I’m really enjoying it. Thought I was missing something based on the notes... Strikes me as the IPA I’d expect if Rick caved and made one.
Don't hold your breath.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 12th, 2019, 2:04 pm
by Brian G r a f s t r o m
LOL!!

Yeah, Rick has painted himself deeeep into the No IPA corner.

You know who else did that, once upon a time? Monkish. And now ... well ... you know. :)

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 13th, 2019, 4:22 pm
by Mel Hill
38895A2D-88FD-418B-B4EE-72D7D61D2360.jpeg
East Coast Transplant, DIPA from New Image
This is the best batch (or, maybe the freshest)
I’ve had. These guys make a bunch of good beers!

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 14th, 2019, 4:39 am
by Brian Lynch
Mel Hill wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 4:22 pm
38895A2D-88FD-418B-B4EE-72D7D61D2360.jpeg

East Coast Transplant, DIPA from New Image
This is the best batch (or, maybe the freshest)
I’ve had. These guys make a bunch of good beers!
New Image. Sounds like a 90s boy band

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 14th, 2019, 6:10 am
by Mel Hill
I’d rank them in the top five for NEIPA here in Colorado.

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 14th, 2019, 10:15 am
by Brian G r a f s t r o m
Pizza Port - "Swami's" IPA
Firestone- "Mind Haze" NEIPA
Monkish - "Bloom and Blossom" NEIIPA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 14th, 2019, 3:48 pm
by Dennis Atick
Treehouse continues to fire on all cylinders. Very Gggreennn is like Gggreen and Very Green on steroids. Fresh hop fragrance purs out the moment you pop the can. Super saturated mouthfeel. Powerful, but with that creamy Treehouse mouthfeel that is almost unparalleled. Treehouse does one of the best jobs with pushing DIPAs out there without them turning into Orange Julius slushies.
Outrageous stuff if you like style.

As Bud would say, "highly recommended"

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 17th, 2019, 5:21 pm
by BRhoades
Image

Monkish Brewing Co. Broadcasting Live DIPA. 2019 Vintage. Hopped entirely with Nelson Sauvin hops. 8.5% ABV. So Monkish pulls a silent release last Tuesday night featuring this, my favorite Monkish beer. Last released in October 2018, this without a doubt is IMHO the best single hopped Nelson beer brewed. I'm an unabashed Nelson whore and this is my trick. The nose is dirty dank dieselly earthy funk. The flavors are tropical and citrusy, it's also loaded with ripe stone fruits, melon and that grapy vinous streak you get from sticky ripe Nelson buds. Otherwordly, but you guys already knew I'd say that.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Posted: August 17th, 2019, 6:48 pm
by Brian G r a f s t r o m
Well, hell ... nice pull, Bud!!

I'm having one of my Bloom & Blossom right now. It seems to have gone a little black licorice-y over the past week, which garners no complaints from me.