What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#15901 Post by Mike Maguire » February 17th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Altar from Floodland.Just a pleasure to drink, somewhat citrusy on the finish with a hint of hops.Actually a hoppy fragrance on the nose as well.I wish I had more, my son and I killed 2 750’s in about 15 minutes.Not overly complex , just really good beer.

Scott Tallman

#15902 Post by Scott Tallman » February 17th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Mike Maguire wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 7:28 pm
Altar from Floodland.Just a pleasure to drink, somewhat citrusy on the finish with a hint of hops.Actually a hoppy fragrance on the nose as well.I wish I had more, my son and I killed 2 750’s in about 15 minutes.Not overly complex , just really good beer.
So easy to drink. Had no issue quickly polishing off a 750 ml bottle solo.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Rich Salsano

#15903 Post by Rich Salsano » February 18th, 2019, 11:15 pm

One of those beers that actually lives up to the hype.

Had a Westvleteren 12 last night and WOW
Attachments
6EC9E497-FDEB-4036-8700-4297DDE6EF5B.jpeg
Richard Salsano

BRhoades

#15904 Post by BRhoades » February 19th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Modern Times Beer Co. Warp Tube. DIPA 8.5% ABV. Hopped with Idaho 7, Nugget, Strata and Citra hops. This is from this months on-line release. Super creative mix of hops delivers a gorgeous bright orange beer with a thin wispy white head that quickly disappears. The nose is sweet over-ripe tropical fruit, some bright citrus and a dank green herbaceous note. Flavors follow the nose with big rich layers of pineapple, mango, papaya, peach sorbet and lots of sweet navel oranges. All these layers of flavors are carried on a semi soft body with a long bittersweet finish. Another stellar effort from Modern Times. Oh, and that can art [wow.gif] the 70's are calling !

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

BRhoades

#15905 Post by BRhoades » February 22nd, 2019, 4:50 pm

I cannot thank you enough Rick. My mouth is watering waiting for these to chill down. Thank you for sending these back with Monkish Eric, I obviously was at Monkish today to claim my treasures as he was waxing poetic about his visit with you and your daughter.

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on February 22nd, 2019, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRhoades

#15906 Post by BRhoades » February 22nd, 2019, 5:19 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Spinning Like Windmills. DIPA. 8.1% ABV. Hopped predominately with South African hops Southern Aroma and Southern Star and a little Amarillo. A welcome newbie to the Monkish stable this new recipe steps away from the traditional base beers used in many of Henry's recipes and it's terrific. The beer pours a turbid hazy yellowish-orange with a nice inch of tight compact bubbles. The nose is a potpourri of citrus fruits and their bitter pith, I get lots of grapefruits, zesty lemon and orange notes along with a very cool herbal grassiness. A blast of bitter hoppiness attacks your tongue before it transitions mid palate to reveal sweet red grapefruit, navel orange, passion fruit and finally a wash of firm under-ripe stone fruits that fill in mid palate to finish. The mouth is medium plus and finishes bone dry with a delicious lingering note of citrus. Available now at the brewery for tap pours and growler fills. For those who love the classic west coast IPAs with their biting hoppy resiny citrus notes and also enjoy the explosive fruit driven qualities of the NE school this is a must have as it marries both styles seamlessly.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15907 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 24th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Mmmm ... okay. Thanks, Bud!
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

ERPark

#15908 Post by ERPark » February 24th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Attending my company’s sales kickoff in FortWorth, and had my first Bell’s Hopslam from draft (previously had it from bottle). Wish it were readily available in NorCal......
GEN3

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15909 Post by Alan Rath » February 24th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Rich Salsano wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 11:15 pm

May I ask where you found this? Only had it once, but it's in the top tier for me as well.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

JeromeHan

#15910 Post by JeromeHan » February 25th, 2019, 10:36 am

This was just ridiculous. Coffee with 2 sugars and milk please.

BRhoades

#15911 Post by BRhoades » February 25th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Heater Allen Marzen Lager. 5% ABV.

Rick kindly sent a care package down for me that included this in addition to a few others that I'll review later. This pours a beautiful copper color with a wispy egg shell white head that dissipated quickly. The nose shows fresh baked breads, caramel and toffy and a hint of grassy hops. Flavors follow the nose, robust earthy malts, more toffy and fresh baked breads that lead to a super crisp hoppy finish. At a very approachable 5% ABV this is extremely crushable and so refreshing.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Rich Salsano

#15912 Post by Rich Salsano » February 26th, 2019, 9:23 am

Alan Rath wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 10:31 pm
Rich Salsano wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 11:15 pm

May I ask where you found this? Only had it once, but it's in the top tier for me as well.
I was in Amsterdam on vacation. Great beer bar called Cafe Gollem. €15 euro at the bar and soooooo worth it.
Richard Salsano

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15913 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 26th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Cafe Gollem is a must for any beer lover in Amsterdam! Bier Temple, too.

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Scott Tallman

#15914 Post by Scott Tallman » February 27th, 2019, 9:31 am

Big congrats to Rick (and Lisa) for their two golds last night at the Oregon Beer Awards for Export Lager (German Strong Lagers, Wheat/Rye Beers and Smoke Beers) and Terrifico Horror Pils (Best Collaboration with Wayfinder and Modern Times), two fantastic beers. Well deserved!
CT - WestbyGod

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15915 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 27th, 2019, 9:57 am

When is Rick going to be banned from competitions? I mean, when does everyone else get a chance to win?

Congrats, Rick!

Scott Tallman

#15916 Post by Scott Tallman » February 27th, 2019, 10:12 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 9:57 am
When is Rick going to be banned from competitions? I mean, when does everyone else get a chance to win?

Congrats, Rick!
Well he doesn’t enter his Pils in the OBA, so he is showing some mercy to his fellow OR breweries.
CT - WestbyGod

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15917 Post by Rick Allen » February 27th, 2019, 4:57 pm

I don't enter the Pils category so I can judge it. The first year they awarded a gold to an absolutely wretched beer. I had to step in!

Actually the people who cleaned up were Breakside and 10 Barrel. Of course they each entered 30 beers (we entered six), most of which will never see the light of day.

BRhoades

#15918 Post by BRhoades » February 27th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Congrats Rick.

Cheers,

Bud

Brian Lynch

#15919 Post by Brian Lynch » March 3rd, 2019, 6:55 pm

Congrats Rick!

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15920 Post by John Osburn » March 4th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Nice work, Rick!

BRhoades

#15921 Post by BRhoades » March 4th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Brouwerij West, Three Times DIPA. 8% ABV. Hopped entirely with Nelson Sauvin Hops. Three Times is BWs 3rd anniversary beer. Being our resident Nelson whore I couldn't have been more excited to see that this recipe was being canned for their anniversary and it did not let me down. Three Times pours a beautiful milky hazy orange with an inch of tight compact head.When I stuffed my schnoz in the glass the very first thing that came to me was the OG Alpine Nelson, it's just got that amazing aromatic profile. Flavors are true to the hop, big lychee, gooseberry and mango with sweet citrus on a soft full body that finishes relatively dry. These guys have brewed some very good beers like Ask The Dust and the 8 1/2 series but IMO this is far and away the best DIPA they have brewed. Very limited production, about 80 cases were brewed, available at the brewery only.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15922 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 5th, 2019, 10:36 am

Yeah, I wanted to get that one, Bud, but couldn't make it down there this past weekend. I assume it has sold through. And even if it hasn't, the absolute earliest I could get there is probably Friday night. Hopefully they brew it again. Thanks for posting about it!

JeromeHan

#15923 Post by JeromeHan » March 7th, 2019, 2:37 pm

First time getting my hands on this hyped hazy. Surprised that it actually lives up to the hype. Very good mouth feel and very drinkable.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15924 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 7th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Wow ... that is "hyped"? I tried it last summer while vacationing in Northern Michigan and thought it very good. it is not, however, on par with the best.

BRhoades

#15925 Post by BRhoades » March 7th, 2019, 5:57 pm

March 7th, 2019, 4:22 pm
Wow ... that is "hyped"? I tried it last summer while vacationing in Northern Michigan and thought it very good. it is not, however, on par with the best.
I looked at the overall weighted score on Untappd and it's a very solid 4.25, not that Untappd is the end-all for realistic beer reviews.

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15926 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 7th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Interesting.

JeromeHan

#15927 Post by JeromeHan » March 8th, 2019, 10:58 am

Extremely hyped in the NY/NJ area. Saw people walking out of store with cases when it hit recently. Don't know how it drinks relative to the Monkish/Tree Houses of the world but very nice body for the abv, and glad it has just enough bittering. Not upset for $15 a 4-pack, though I am intrigued by their Boss Tweed now.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15928 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 8th, 2019, 11:33 am

JeromeHan wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 10:58 am
Extremely hyped in the NY/NJ area. Saw people walking out of store with cases when it hit recently. Don't know how it drinks relative to the Monkish/Tree Houses of the world but very nice body for the abv, and glad it has just enough bittering. Not upset for $15 a 4-pack, though I am intrigued by their Boss Tweed now.
Hmmmm. Very interesting. I wouldn't be upset paying that, either. I guess it just didn't stand-out as something super special to me. But tastes differ. :D

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15929 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 8th, 2019, 11:33 am

2013 Cantillon Brewery Kriek 100% Lambic - Belgium, Brussels, Anderlecht (3/2/2019)
Slightly hazy. Strong cherry Nose. Plenty of cherry on the palate. Very sour, but not overbearing. No medicinal quality to the cherry. At nearly six years old, it's remarkable how young this seems. Tastes great now, but absolutely no harm in continuing to hold.

Scott Tallman

#15930 Post by Scott Tallman » March 8th, 2019, 11:42 am

March 8th, 2019, 11:33 am
2013 Cantillon Brewery Kriek 100% Lambic - Belgium, Brussels, Anderlecht (3/2/2019)
Slightly hazy. Strong cherry Nose. Plenty of cherry on the palate. Very sour, but not overbearing. No medicinal quality to the cherry. At nearly six years old, it's remarkable how young this seems. Tastes great now, but absolutely no harm in continuing to hold.
Good to know. I have a hard time not rapidly drinking what few bottles I come across, but will try to exercise restraint with a few from my current stash.
CT - WestbyGod

Scott Tallman

#15931 Post by Scott Tallman » March 8th, 2019, 12:04 pm

From last night’s share with my neighbors.

2017 Upright Fantasia - As much as I love Upright and peaches, would think this beer would be in my wheelhouse. Nope. Third bottle of this vintage and never took to any of them. Oddly sour with the peach presence muddled,

DeGarde The Little Peach - I’m clearly losing whatever fondness I had for most Sour beers and I find many DeGarde beers to have a similar sourness profile that I’ve come to dislike. That said this was more tart and peaches shone through the tartness. Improved over the course of the evening. Solid beer.

Fremont Brewing Mountain Daisy IPA - Like almost all Fremont hoppy beers (save Cowiche Canyon and Sky Kraken) found this pretty meh, but fortunately lacked the soapy quality found in many of their hoppy beers.

Crux Fermentation Project Cocoa Stout - Not an outstanding beer, but a very solid stout. Dry with subtle hints of chocolate, coconut, and vanilla. Nice to have one that is not Barrel-aged or overly sweet as seems to be the trend these days.

Narrows Brewing Gloom Imperial Stout with cocoa nibs and vanilla - This was extremely sweet and confected. Hard to get past the sweetness.

Fort George Waves of Silence Imperial Stout with maple syrup and coconut - This was fantastic as everything was integrated nicely, only a touch of sweetness and perfect body for a Stout (neither too thin nor motor oil thick). If not for the 9%+ abv could drink a lot of this.

Structures Brewing Dirt Church IPA - a hazy IPA (with El Doraso and South African Southern Passion hops) just released yesterday. Think it needs time to settle down in the can. Right now like drinking a glass of grapefruit and melon juice. Not bad, but definitely odd. Perhaps it’s the Southern Passion hops, which I’m not familiar with. Historically have loved their IPAs, which I think represent some of the very best in WA state.

CT - WestbyGod

JeromeHan

#15932 Post by JeromeHan » March 8th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Now you're just making me jealous.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15933 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 8th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Sadly, Cantillon is now relegated to Special Occasion status for me. I need to just bite the bullet and do an Etre or BiB order one of these days ...

JeromeHan

#15934 Post by JeromeHan » March 8th, 2019, 3:55 pm

March 8th, 2019, 2:02 pm
Sadly, Cantillon is now relegated to Special Occasion status for me. I need to just bite the bullet and do an Etre or BiB order one of these days ...
How is the Etre shipping? Any issues?

BRhoades

#15935 Post by BRhoades » March 8th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Heater Allen Schwarz. Schwarzbier. 4.6% ABV. I have enjoyed my little care package immensely and this is another that we, ( my wife is a huge Lager aficionado ) have thoroughly loved. Big notes of caramel, bakers chocolate and huge espresso shadings. This is a rich complexly layered beer with just enough hoppy bitterness to keep it all in check. Thank you again Rick, loved every ounce and your Mediator was the perfect foil for Taco Tuesday, sadly I didn't get to post a review because my wife had half of it gone before I got home from work, " look what I found in the wine cellar honey, this is really good " and it was, my taco's agreed.

Highly recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#15936 Post by BRhoades » March 8th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Wow, I'm salivating.......

Cheers.

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15937 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 8th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Jerome,
I've never done an Etre order.

In other news, Ashley and are planning a quick stop at Monkish tmrw. Probably in the noon - 2pm window. If any of y'all are there, dont be a stranger.

BRhoades

#15938 Post by BRhoades » March 8th, 2019, 8:00 pm

March 8th, 2019, 6:57 pm
Jerome,
I've never done an Etre order.

In other news, Ashley and are planning a quick stop at Monkish tmrw. Probably in the noon - 2pm window. If any of y'all are there, dont be a stranger.
Two college girls on spring break ascending on the beach shack beginning tomorrow, otherwise C and I would meet you for bevies. Make sure to try Spinning Like Windmills if its still on, very different approach for a Monkish DIPA, I loved it.

Cheers,

Bud

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15939 Post by ClarkstonMark » March 9th, 2019, 6:48 am

I traded DDH M43 4:4 for Monkish a couple weeks ago. Maybe curiosity is better word for it than hyped. A lot of hopheads want to try M43. M43 is interesting in that it is brewed in pretty large quantities and is pretty damn consistent.
I don't love M43, but Boss Tweed from Old Nation is pretty great.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15940 Post by Andrew Kotowski » March 9th, 2019, 7:56 am

HUB Robot Truckers - HUB’s attempt at a NE hazy. HUB should stick to regular IPA.

I chose to double down on Parisian gin and Pastis, rather than fill my bags with Cantillon *grin*

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15941 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 9th, 2019, 7:59 am

In the category of I-think-I-could-only-have-one-but-what-an-amazing-glass-of-beer I present Vagabond Brewing All Rye, All Rye, All Rye...
9C90169E-D1D7-4F1C-B90C-7F8CE23F0C55.jpeg
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15942 Post by Andrew Kotowski » March 9th, 2019, 1:52 pm

@Scott - have you tried these? Picked up a couple because my local guy stashed them away.
Attachments
3C9CB193-F238-4C1D-8F67-2F639BF43634.jpeg

Scott Tallman

#15943 Post by Scott Tallman » March 9th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 1:52 pm
@Scott - have you tried these? Picked up a couple because my local guy stashed them away.
No, but that’s only because I am not a barleywine fan. From people I know that love that style, it is one of the better versions out there. Not quite Anchorage A Deal With the Devil, but up there.

And you should always mule as many bottles as possible of Cantillon when returning from your Europe trips. champagne.gif
CT - WestbyGod

BRhoades

#15944 Post by BRhoades » March 9th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. You Seem More Zen. TDH DIPA 8.5% ABV. Hopped with Nelson Galaxy and Sabro hops. I was told from Henry that this is the hoppiest beer he has ever brewed and the minute your senses recover from the aromatic onslaught you begin to believe it. The nose shows massive citrus fruits, dank ripe tropical fruits and bitter green hops.Lots's of red grapefruit dominate the front end of the palate before transitioning to ripe pineapples, stone fruits and a very cool kiss of coconut on the back end. This is a massively hopped beer and it shows, it's green and bitter AF at this young stage but somehow the delicate balance between bitter and juicy works. This kinda reminds me of the good old days when your west coast hop bombs bit back, at 8.5 % this drinks like a 7-7.5% IPA. Limited can release and tap only. This will be fun to see how it melds together with a few weeks on it, but honestly, I love it as is.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on March 10th, 2019, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15945 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 10th, 2019, 9:26 am

Bud caught a whirlwind of texts from me yesterday from the moment the first sip of "You Seem More Zen" hit my palate. Good. God. Very hoppy; Most definitely a NEIPA that feels like it wants to be a WCIPA. Concentrated grapefruit on the palate. This is in the conversation for my favorite Monkish brew. Flipping amazing. I really don't chase beers more often than maybe once a year; I'm chasing this one. Ashley and I can be found at Monkish, again, today, from approx. 1pm onwards for an hour or two. So so so so so so good!!!

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15946 Post by Rick Allen » March 10th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Bud,
Glad you liked the Schwarz, and I'm glad your wife like the Mediator. It's been funny that past years of Mediator just sat around, but this year we sold out in about a week.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15947 Post by Andrew Kotowski » March 10th, 2019, 3:35 pm

March 10th, 2019, 9:26 am
Bud caught a whirlwind of texts from me yesterday from the moment the first sip of "You Seem More Zen" hit my palate. Good. God. Very hoppy; Most definitely a NEIPA that feels like it wants to be a WCIPA. Concentrated grapefruit on the palate. This is in the conversation for my favorite Monkish brew. Flipping amazing. I really don't chase beers more often than maybe once a year; I'm chasing this one. Ashley and I can be found at Monkish, again, today, from approx. 1pm onwards for an hour or two. So so so so so so good!!!
Killing me. I’ve got some MT generic IPA. Thank god for Hendricks and Fever Tree.

BRhoades

#15948 Post by BRhoades » March 10th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Rick Allen wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Bud,
Glad you liked the Schwarz, and I'm glad your wife like the Mediator. It's been funny that past years of Mediator just sat around, but this year we sold out in about a week.
Rick, all four bottles were world class, you are killing it my friend and the fact that the beers are flying off the shelf is a testament to that.

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#15949 Post by BRhoades » March 10th, 2019, 5:21 pm

March 10th, 2019, 9:26 am
I'll keep a can set aside for when the four of us get together in April.

Cheers,

Bud

JeromeHan

#15950 Post by JeromeHan » March 12th, 2019, 2:54 pm

My first ever Modern Times beer. And if this is representative of their quality, I am looking forward to trying much more from them.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”