What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#15701 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 8th, 2018, 7:41 am

If you dont like it, save the rest and use it for cooking. I'd buy some mussels and use it for that purpose. Fine chop some onions, mince shallot, fine dice carrot. Finish the sauce with a dab of butter.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

JeromeHan

#15702 Post by JeromeHan » November 8th, 2018, 11:24 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 5:02 pm
JeromeHan wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 11:43 am
So hard to pass these up when you see them in the wild.
How is the regular Rodenbach red? I got two bottles today at $2.50 per 750.
Wow. That's amazing. Not at the level of Alexander for me, but at that price I would definitely pick them up.

JeromeHan

#15703 Post by JeromeHan » November 8th, 2018, 11:29 am

GMcCarthy wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 6:25 pm
https://embracethefunk.com/2012/06/26/l ... elgium-qa/ If you scroll halfway down to this link, it's basically a way to halt flavor development and reduce efficiencies on packaging side. There's also a great episode of goodbeerhunting with Lauren Salazar (head of sensory) at NB.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/gbh-pod ... brewing-co
That's kind of sad. At least I still have my Alexander.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15704 Post by Michae1 P0wers » November 8th, 2018, 11:41 am

Yesterday I saw a special edition of the La Folie and a couple of their other beers, "foedre aged," but no mention of whether that one is also pasteurized.

Andrew M c C a b e

#15705 Post by Andrew M c C a b e » November 9th, 2018, 4:12 am

Tried the Founders CBS for the first time last night. 2017 edition. Good stuff. Just a hint of maple
Andrew M.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#15706 Post by Robert M yers » November 9th, 2018, 5:54 am

CBS a once impossible beer seems to be plentiful around here right now, they must be cranking it out? Picked up some bba Expedition stout yesterday which I’m looking forward to this weekend.

JeromeHan

#15707 Post by JeromeHan » November 9th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Roasty roasty goodness. Always love what a little age does to these.
Attachments
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181105205643015_COVER_2 (1).jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181106183047491_COVER.jpg

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15708 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 9th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Interesting, Jerome. The last couple 2012 Courage RIS I had were over the hill, to my tastes.

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#15709 Post by Robert M yers » November 9th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Did they stop importing the courage? 2012 was the last I’ve ever seen. I have a bunch of 2010-12 so I hope the aren’t over the hill. Aren’t these supposed to last many many years.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15710 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 10th, 2018, 8:31 am

I haven't seen past 2012, either. For my preferences, the 2012 has seen better days, but I've also come to realize I like the sweetness that age brings to big stouts, but not the iron-like/mineral notes. I've found those mineral notes develop after the sweet/brown sugar notes, so the trick for me is finding that sweet spot in the aging continuum.

If you enjoy those mineral notes, then the beers will last much longer for you than they do for me.

JeromeHan

#15711 Post by JeromeHan » November 10th, 2018, 9:31 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 8:31 am
I haven't seen past 2012, either. For my preferences, the 2012 has seen better days, but I've also come to realize I like the sweetness that age brings to big stouts, but not the iron-like/mineral notes. I've found those mineral notes develop after the sweet/brown sugar notes, so the trick for me is finding that sweet spot in the aging continuum.

If you enjoy those mineral notes, then the beers will last much longer for you than they do for me.
That's exactly why I like it. I am not a big sweet stout fan, so I really look more for the roasty bitter coffee ground/espresso dark chocolate flavors. The sweetness that used to be there is definitely mellowed out and brought out the bitterness for me. I can see why someone could dislike it if that wasn't what they were looking for.

JeromeHan

#15712 Post by JeromeHan » November 10th, 2018, 9:32 am

Robert M yers wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 9:01 pm
Did they stop importing the courage? 2012 was the last I’ve ever seen. I have a bunch of 2010-12 so I hope the aren’t over the hill. Aren’t these supposed to last many many years.
If you like to drink your coffee with a little bit of cream and no sugar, then this is the stout for you now. I'd crack one open.

Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15713 Post by Terry H a r r i s » November 10th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Been enjoying any number of new Colorado and Wyoming craft breweries' product lately. Neat to see such a increase in the local quality ale, in a region with a nice craft ale history. So vibrant. [drinks.gif]
"'Watson,' understandably, 'declined to proceed any further.'”

Oh, and I pay money to those ITB

JeromeHan

#15714 Post by JeromeHan » November 11th, 2018, 11:42 am

Terry H a r r i s wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 9:40 pm
Been enjoying any number of new Colorado and Wyoming craft breweries' product lately. Neat to see such a increase in the local quality ale, in a region with a nice craft ale history. So vibrant. [drinks.gif]
Attachments
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181110214859308_COVER_2 (1).jpg

Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15715 Post by Terry H a r r i s » November 11th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Jerome, I may be wrong on this, but my recollection is that Oskar Blues is one of, if not the, oldest craft breweries in Colorado. They produce some nice stuff. Last night I was enjoying a number of IPAs produced by a new Bloomfield Colorado craft brewery, 4 Noses. Really tasty stuff.

JeromeHan

#15716 Post by JeromeHan » November 11th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Terry H a r r i s wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 12:07 pm
Jerome, I may be wrong on this, but my recollection is that Oskar Blues is one of, if not the, oldest craft breweries in Colorado. They produce some nice stuff. Last night I was enjoying a number of IPAs produced by a new Bloomfield Colorado craft brewery, 4 Noses. Really tasty stuff.
I'm not sure either, but I love almost all the stuff that comes out of Oskar Blue. Never heard of 4 Noses as I don't get that much stuff out here from Colorado, except some stuff from Crooked Stave, which I do enjoy from time to time when I want something funky.

Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15717 Post by Terry H a r r i s » November 11th, 2018, 2:16 pm

One of the selections I passed on yesterday, as I was picking up craft ale at my favorite ale store in Fort Collins (Supermarket Liquor) was stuff from Cigar City Brewing out of Tampa, Florida. Talking with the store's beer guy, he let me know Oskar Blues just recently bought Cigar City Brewing. I may pick some of that up next time I am down there buying ale.

https://www.denverpost.com/2016/03/14/o ... 0-million/

In addition to 4 Noses, I've lately really liked a bunch of stuff from New Image Brewing in Arvada, Colorado:

http://www.nibrewing.com

and Soul Squared Brewing Company ("Soul Squared Brewing Company is Colorado's original farm based brewery located just north of Fort Collins and west of Wellington. We focus on using ingredients from our farm and locally-sourced ingredients to create freshly crafted beer with unique seasonal styles in true farm fashion. Our name comes from belief in the exponential power of the local community and our farm-based approach to craft brewing. Our Community x Our Brewery = Soul Squared."). I've been drinking a lot of their IPA Rocky Mountain Haze. Sadly, it was out of stock yesterday at Supermarket Liquor.

https://soulsquaredbrewing.com

One of the local breweries the beer guy highly recommended is in Greeley, CO, and is named WeldWerks Brewing. The beer guy was telling me they do "small batches" and are constantly switching up their available selections. I picked up two of their IPAs, "Juicy Bits" and "Hip To The Lingo" and will try one or both tonight.

https://www.weldwerksbrewing.com

JeromeHan

#15718 Post by JeromeHan » November 11th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Wow. Cigar City and Oskar Blues together? That's actually pretty awesome. Two breweries that kind of get shunned by beer snobs because they are so readily available.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15719 Post by Scott Tallman » November 12th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Heater Allen Sandy Paws Baltic-style Porter 2018 - always one of my favorite HA beers and this year’s batch is no different. In fact, from a purely flavor POV this may be the best one I’ve tried, but 2014’s batch will always be my sentimental favorite.

Last edited by Scott Tallman on November 12th, 2018, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Gerry Morrisey

#15720 Post by Gerry Morrisey » November 12th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Enjoying a couple of the latest Treehouse releases
Attachments
20181113_010609.jpg
A little Treehouse

JeromeHan

#15721 Post by JeromeHan » November 13th, 2018, 8:19 am

Cracked a can of Evil Twin's Imperial Biscotti Break from last year, last night. Unfortunately a drain pour as it tasted extremely sour and metallic. Shame.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15722 Post by Rick Allen » November 13th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 8:47 pm
Heater Allen Sandy Paws Baltic-style Porter 2018 - always one of my favorite HA beers and this year’s batch is no different. In fact, from a purely flavor POV this may be the best one I’ve tried, but 2014’s batch will always be my sentimental favorite.

Noci!! Glad you like it Scott!

Mel Hill

#15723 Post by Mel Hill » November 15th, 2018, 7:18 pm

07155811-2421-4E13-BBC2-1139A7D4111F.jpeg
speaking of Weldworks....
picked this up today!

I’ll second 4 noses and new image breweries for their NE IPAs and their full line ups. Though some of the NI
beers seem fall off pretty quickly but when fresh
they are really good

BRhoades

#15724 Post by BRhoades » November 16th, 2018, 8:39 am

Modern Times, Heater Allen Tent Bier. Lager/Marzan styled hybrid 5% ABV. Vienna and Pilsner malts, and a bit of Munich and Carabohemian, hopped with German Tettnang hops.

Beautiful copper orange color with a nice wispy white head. Very floral, with notes of crackery sweet malt. This drinks like a hoppy lager, I also pick up a faint lemon note mid-palate, uber refreshing and absolutely crushable with zesty refreshing carbonation. Bone dry and clean as a whistle, I love this and am glad I bought a few extra four packs as this is a perfect food beer for the upcoming food fest ahead. Well done HA and MT.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15725 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 16th, 2018, 10:56 am

*NEWSFLASH*
I'm enjoying a Fremont IPA. As Scott will tell you, that's worthy of celebration these days. In fairness, it's a collab with an east coast brewery (Night Shift, based in MA) called "Stranger in a Strange Land." Hazy Imperial IPA, which I haven't seen a lot of. Really enjoying it - fruity, bitter, but not a malt bomb. Might have to go buy more of this, as I'm off next week!

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15726 Post by Paul Miller » November 16th, 2018, 11:26 am

Robert M yers wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 5:54 am
CBS a once impossible beer seems to be plentiful around here right now, they must be cranking it out? Picked up some bba Expedition stout yesterday which I’m looking forward to this weekend.
Had the CBS last week at the local Whole Foods. They had it on tap, and they had bottles for sale. Comes in a 750ml bottle!!! At almost 12%, that's too much. Couple days later, they still had a stack of bottles for sale.

First time I've had it. Expected more maple, instead, it seemed really big on coffee.
IMG_3125.JPG

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15727 Post by Paul Miller » November 16th, 2018, 11:33 am

Getting into the beers from Off Color (http://www.offcolorbrewing.com/ ). They have a taproom near me called The Mousetrap where they feature their experimental beers, native yeast beers, and sours. Tried these two yesterday:

The Miscellanea
Really nice sour. Lots of depth.
IMG_3154.JPG

The Wari
Similar to the "spit beer" from Peru. Actually uses the Peruvian corn, but minus the spit (thankfully). Still sour, but a sweeter sour, and very low in alcohol.
IMG_3156.JPG

Both were great beers.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15728 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 16th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Drinking a Modern Times Space Ways at the moment. Time in can is starting to take its toll, relative to where it was a month ago (spectacular).

When a Fremont <anything> beats out an MT beer, something is wrong.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15729 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 16th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 10:56 am
*NEWSFLASH*
I'm enjoying a Fremont IPA. As Scott will tell you, that's worthy of celebration these days. In fairness, it's a collab with an east coast brewery (Night Shift, based in MA) called "Stranger in a Strange Land." Hazy Imperial IPA, which I haven't seen a lot of. Really enjoying it - fruity, bitter, but not a malt bomb. Might have to go buy more of this, as I'm off next week!
Night Shift is legit.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15730 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 16th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Fair State brewing out of my native Minnesota teamed-up with Modern Times to brew a *fantastic* hazy IPA! I've been loving on that one.

In addition to that one, my local Total Wine had at least two other Fair State beers, and I bought those, too: a hazy IPA (very good) and a Saison (excellent).

let's see, what else? ...

a hazy from Revision that's excellent.

... I found three bottles of CBS at Mission Wine and Spirits up in Glendale ...

that might be all worth mentioning, for the time being.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15731 Post by Scott Tallman » November 16th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 10:56 am
*NEWSFLASH*
Tried this on release. Can’t say I liked it as much as you, but definitely a big step up from the other Fremont hoppy beers (save Cowiche Canyon, which was phenomenal this, both the regular and hazy versions).

One other Fremont shout out - their Dark Star Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Nitro is delicious.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15732 Post by Jim Stewart » November 20th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Popped this beauty after forgetting about it in the back of the fridge for a couple of months. First time for this, and this is already one of my favorite Trilliums. Deep hazy color, yeast floaties settling to the bottom, bit of a piney nose and aftertaste, but headstrong orange citrus dominates (though smoothed out maybe by the genius of my forgetfulness). Balanced, nothing harsh, delicious. Yum!
storrowed.JPG
Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15733 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 20th, 2018, 3:12 pm

While we’re doing Fremont shout outs, Pub 85 in Kirkland had the Head Full of Fresh Hops on tap, which was good but not great imho. Also had a Boneyard Notorious (served in a pint glass) which is probably my favorite triple IPA out there.

Picked up more Stranger in a Strange Land and MT Bedrock at Total Wine. Should be a fun Thanksgiving.

JeromeHan

#15734 Post by JeromeHan » November 20th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Picked up this year's vintage. As funky and delicious as ever. Looking forward to doing a side by side with a 2016 i have in the cellar.
Attachments
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181118204423551_COVER.jpg

BRhoades

#15735 Post by BRhoades » November 20th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 3:01 pm
Popped this beauty after forgetting about it in the back of the fridge for a couple of months. First time for this, and this is already one of my favorite Trilliums. Deep hazy color, yeast floaties settling to the bottom, bit of a piney nose and aftertaste, but headstrong orange citrus dominates (though smoothed out maybe by the genius of my forgetfulness). Balanced, nothing harsh, delicious. Yum!storrowed.JPG
Interesting post Jim. I've had plenty of Trillium over the years but nothing older than say a month old. I truly believe that a lot of these super hopped NE styled IPA/DIPAs actually get better with some time on them, for me my local is Monkish and I actually prefer Henrys super hoppy beers with at least a couple weeks on them and most are prolific at a month out, I haven't gone much deeper than that though.

Cheers,

Bud

JeromeHan

#15736 Post by JeromeHan » November 21st, 2018, 10:40 am

I don't know if this is appropriate for here, or if it is 100% true yet, but it is from an account that I do trust. And if this is all true, it is very disturbing indeed.
1.PNG
2.PNG

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15737 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 21st, 2018, 11:28 am

[popcorn.gif]

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15738 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 21st, 2018, 12:11 pm

November 21st, 2018, 11:28 am
[popcorn.gif]
LOL! I looked it up on Reddit and I feel much better to see that beer threads are as bad as wine ones :) Pages and pages on donkey consumers driving up prices, marketing gimmicks and beer art; I should start my own brewery!

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15739 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 21st, 2018, 12:13 pm

Still laughing. Bud might have to fly back east and choke a mofo after reading this ->
“Monkish sucks. Wasn't impressed by their beer or taproom. They're were a knockoff lost Abbey to me with mediocre beer. Now phantom carriage? There's a cool brewery in LA, good beers, cool taproom and good staff. Hell that brewery around the corner from Monkish is better than monkish”

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15740 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 21st, 2018, 12:37 pm

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Even when they're wrong.

BRhoades

#15741 Post by BRhoades » November 21st, 2018, 8:37 pm

November 21st, 2018, 12:37 pm
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Even when they're wrong.
Yup, and I am often my favorite breweries biggest critic at times, let em have it I say ! Nobody's perfect huh [swearing.gif]

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15742 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 22nd, 2018, 7:24 pm

Not a fan of Deschutes Stoic, but I just got five more of these and I can drink them allllllll day.
Attachments
A0DE8B81-599D-46E0-957D-44811885899A.jpeg

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15743 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 23rd, 2018, 7:52 am

Really? ... BCS is (was?) dead to me now. I noticed a significant drop in quality when in-Bev took over. And, iirc, the 2015 always struck me as a touch sour --- something clearly went wrong with it.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15744 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 23rd, 2018, 8:20 am

No sour in it now. Chocolate-caramel across the board. If anything, it was a little flat.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15745 Post by Mike Maguire » November 23rd, 2018, 8:54 am

In Chicago, got a case at Garfields, could of bought a couple of the Variants but passed.

JeromeHan

#15746 Post by JeromeHan » November 23rd, 2018, 11:03 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
November 23rd, 2018, 8:20 am
No sour in it now. Chocolate-caramel across the board. If anything, it was a little flat.
You think that pasteurization has anything to do with it now? Picked up a few of this years and a wheatwine cause... why not? But I was way more excited to pick up a 4-pack of the Carton Epitome.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15747 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 23rd, 2018, 11:35 am

No idea. I can tell you they were bought in CA upon release, went two months unrefrigerated in a garage during the summer and then stored in a dark room at 60 degrees for two years.

Provenance hasn’t appeared to affect any of the other beers, but who knows?

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15748 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 23rd, 2018, 3:00 pm

Melvin Citradamus Imperial IPA - not as good as I expected, especially based off the BeerAdvocate rating. Heavy malt and no real citrus?

Fremont “The Rusty Nail” - Less cherry than previous years, but same KDS like profile of chocolate and vanilla, but a little bit of mint when I breathe out. I need some ice cream to put this on.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15749 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 23rd, 2018, 4:21 pm

The liver is evil; it must be punished.
Attachments
2AC2830A-BEB1-4D3E-A1D7-9A2DCF553858.jpeg

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15750 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 25th, 2018, 12:44 pm

When you realize your kid’s gymnastic lessons are next to a brewery...

PostDoc Brewing Bourbon Barrel Aged Demon Star
PostDoc Brewing Port Barrel Aged Demon Star

Neither was overly impressive, with both having a bitter bite on the back end. On the bright side, I’m watching McCaffrey rampage on the Seahawks, which isn’t making anyone here happy :)

Return to “Beer and Spirits”