What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#15551 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 6th, 2018, 7:47 pm

Plowed through a pitcher of 3 Way IPA with some friends. It had clearly lost a step (they probably helped the leg for 2 months) but was still good. More juice than hops, which starts to feel less like an IPA and more like a fruity drink mixed with beer.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15552 Post by Mark Y » September 7th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Zwanze Day!!! Got some tickets.

Anyone else in the Seattle area going?
Y.e.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15553 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 7th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Mark Y wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 2:24 pm

That’d be a “no” from me :). I gave away all of my Cantillon, cause I’m a swell guy.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15554 Post by Scott Tallman » September 7th, 2018, 11:36 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 8:44 pm
Mark Y wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 2:24 pm

That’d be a “no” from me :). I gave away all of my Cantillon, cause I’m a swell guy.
Indeed you are!

I was in the mountains all day w/o Internet access, but asked a neighbor to grab me one if he was successful. Not sure how he fared. With or without a ticket, I’ll attend as all a ticket gets you is a glass and a Zwanze pour. Non-ticket holders can buy/taste all the other beers, but I know Masonry will be cray cray packed that day. Plan to arrive early.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15555 Post by Adam Noble » September 8th, 2018, 8:11 am

I will plan on skipping it, as I have every year. I'd be interested but not enough to brave the crowds and take time away from the family. Also this year I'll have had knee surgery the day before, so definitely not. I do enjoy Cantillon, however.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15556 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 13th, 2018, 1:02 am

Modern Times - "Space Ways" NEIPA

Bud is right (again). This Nelson-hopped hazy is awesome! I like that it has a enough "bite" to give it some West Coast leanings. Loving this!
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

BRhoades

#15557 Post by BRhoades » September 13th, 2018, 10:10 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 1:02 am

Bud is right (again). This Nelson-hopped hazy is awesome! I like that it has a enough "bite" to give it some West Coast leanings. Loving this!
Whats even better is the price locally is 10.99 vs the 13 at MT ! Slam Dunk QPR contender of the year !

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15558 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 13th, 2018, 10:55 am

BRhoades wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:10 am
September 13th, 2018, 1:02 am

Whats even better is the price locally is 10.99 vs the 13 at MT ! Slam Dunk QPR contender of the year !

Cheers,

Bud
Sadly, not on the shelves here. Happy I got to try at MT and take a crowler home.

Have been working through the PostDoc line-up, most of which have been above average, but not mind-blowing. Have an offsite there tonight, will post if anything blows me away.

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15559 Post by Adam Noble » September 13th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Postdoc does have one of my favorite beer names- Lager Rhythmic. That's good stuff right there (name, not the beer which I haven't tried so can't evaluate).

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15560 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 13th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Adam Noble wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 1:06 pm
Postdoc does have one of my favorite beer names- Lager Rhythmic. That's good stuff right there (name, not the beer which I haven't tried so can't evaluate).
Hogus Maximus (barrel aged triple IPA) was intriguing - I’ve never had a barrel aged IPA, much less a triple. Not sure I’d order again, but was fun to try.

Case Study IPA was actually a pretty good IPA. I don’t think it’s at the MT level, but I’d drink this every day of the week and three times on sunday.

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15561 Post by Adam Noble » September 14th, 2018, 7:41 am

Only 3? Sunday must be a rest day.

BRhoades

#15562 Post by BRhoades » September 14th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Broadcasting Live. DIPA. 8.5% ABV. 100% hopped with Nelson Sauivin hops.

As a confessed total Nelson whore these past 4-6 weeks have been an orgy. The current crop of Nelson Sauvin available state side is without a doubt some of the most pungent flavorful little buds we have ever seen. Last month Monkish dropped Pre-Historic B-Boy, a 100% Nelson hopped IPA at 6.8% ABV, perhaps my favorite single hopped IPA Henry has brewed. The success of that beer has led to label art being completed for a future can run. Henry also shared with me that he was going to can a DIPA take on Pre-Historic. Well that didn't come to fruition but he did drop it yesterday on tap and for fills. Ironically I had a meeting next door of Monkish at 2:30 yesterday and when i came out I could see folks walking up to the brewery, I looked at my phone and saw that they were releasing Relax Your Mind, a perennial classic Monkish DIPA. Well lucky me, when I looked further down on the IG release I also noted their " freshie alert" for Broadcasting Live, I was probably the only one there more excited for the growler fill than the can release. Oh....the beer. It pours a beautiful milky white hazed yellowish orange color with a quarter inch of quickly receding head.The nose is incredibly aromatic, it veers from over ripe citrus fruits to a bowl of sweet crushed tropical fruits and that dank green grape leaf note. Flavors show ripe melon, sauvignon blanc, tangerine, red grapefruit, over ripe pineapple, guava and a minty pine note. The Mouth is medium plus and for 8.5% this finishes bone dry and long. The range of flavors and aromatics with world class Nelson Sauvin are enormous and this recipe showcases the best the hop has to offer.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15563 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 14th, 2018, 7:15 pm

Ohhhh man! How many pp?

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

BRhoades

#15564 Post by BRhoades » September 15th, 2018, 11:34 am

September 14th, 2018, 7:15 pm
Ohhhh man! How many pp?
4 ! and I'm going to do at least that many over the next few weeks. It's crazy good Brian, you'll love it.

Cheers,

Bud

JeromeHan

#15565 Post by JeromeHan » September 15th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Finally got my hands on some Kane. Solid pour.
Attachments
IMG_20180911_211136_2.jpg

BRhoades

#15566 Post by BRhoades » September 15th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Hill Farmstead Brewey, Double Citra. DIPA.8% ABV. Hopped with 100% Citra hops.

Mind bending aromatics, huge blasts of tangerine, ripe melon and a whiff of pine. The appearance is a gorgeous brilliant bright orange with a thick white head of tightly packed bubbles. The flavors show gobs of ripe citrus fruits, sweet melons and lychee. Besides tasting absolutely amazing the most incredible trait with HF beers is the body. I know it has a lot to do with that well water on the farm but it's also Shawn's deft use of his grain and hop bills. This is so etherial, its delicate and light beyond description but still delivers layer upon layer of Citra complexities, the beer literally dissolves on your tongue. Good gawd, an epiphany beer. There's a reason HF is one of the most revered breweries not just in the US, but the world, and this beer let's you know why.

Highly Recommend,

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15567 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 15th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Thinner than the Abyss and other Imperial Stout line-ups, the Black Butte XXX Imperial Porter feels more like a traditional beer than the entire vogue chocolate spice gravy drinks that are dominating the category. Medium carbonation, some heat from the 13%+ ABV. Expect to take a nap if drinking at 13:00.
Attachments
2246EB3D-BBA3-41CD-BB22-14CE685BCA4E.jpeg

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15568 Post by Rick Allen » September 16th, 2018, 2:18 am

We spent the weekend in Bamberg, Germany. First stop was Weyermann (our malt supplier) where we tasted a number of beers from their test Brewery. They made an IPA that's actually tolerable. Had the Rauch Marzen at Schlenkerla with dinner. Saturday we went out to Mahrsbrau and tried the Ungespundet (unfiltered) lager, which was very tasty, along with the Hell and Dunkel. The Hell was pretty good and the Dunkel suffered from a lack of Munich malt.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15569 Post by Scott Tallman » September 16th, 2018, 8:17 am

Rick Allen wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 2:18 am
We spent the weekend in Bamberg, Germany. First stop was Weyermann (our malt supplier) where we tasted a number of beers from their test Brewery. They made an IPA that's actually tolerable. Had the Rauch Marzen at Schlenkerla with dinner. Saturday we went out to Mahrsbrau and tried the Ungespundet (unfiltered) lager, which was very tasty, along with the Hell and Dunkel. The Hell was pretty good and the Dunkel suffered from a lack of Munich malt.
Sounds awesome. Glad you made it and hopefully all those German beers will aid in your recovery!
CT - WestbyGod

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15570 Post by Rick Allen » September 16th, 2018, 9:32 am

So far, so good. I had a Pilsner Urquell this afternoon that was a major disappointment. It was clear that they've raised their fermentation temperature to the point where they're getting a lot of unwanted esters in their beer. Since our last trip to Germany/Czechia, Pilsner Urquell was acquired by SAB Miller, and changes in the beer have been a disaster. The beer is living on past laurels.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15571 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 16th, 2018, 11:20 am

@Rick - this might be God’s way of telling you it’s time to switch to IPA.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15572 Post by Rick Allen » September 16th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 11:20 am
@Rick - this might be God’s way of telling you it’s time to switch to IPA.
[rofl.gif]

I don't think so. It's probably more of a reason to avoid industrially owned beer at all costs.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15573 Post by Rick Allen » September 17th, 2018, 11:36 pm

So after another bad beer (Carlsberg), I found a local establishment with Augustiner Hell on tap. Just a hint of hops and mildly malty barley goodness with none of the flaws that every other beer has had. The best beer of the trip so far. I have higher hopes when we get to Prague.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15574 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 18th, 2018, 10:46 am

Jealous!! Have a great time, Rick!

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15575 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 18th, 2018, 11:33 am

Elysian "Great Pumpkin" Imperial Pumpkin Ale - I have to do this every year. Pumpkin, spice, nutmeg, etc. It's sweet; it's pumpkin beer.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15576 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 18th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Really enjoying Boneyard's "Ales for ALS."

Description is "Rolled oarts w/Ales for ALS hop blend: Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe hops."

Am two in and trying to decide if I want to roll the dice on a Fremont F2F Fresh Hop Centennial, a Holy Mountain "Cathedral Kolsch-Style Ale," a 3 Way or just say f-it and keep the Boneyard rolling.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15577 Post by Scott Tallman » September 18th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 11:33 am
Elysian "Great Pumpkin" Imperial Pumpkin Ale - I have to do this every year. Pumpkin, spice, nutmeg, etc. It's sweet; it's pumpkin beer.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Masochist
CT - WestbyGod

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15578 Post by Scott Tallman » September 18th, 2018, 4:23 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 4:08 pm
Really enjoying Boneyard's "Ales for ALS."

Description is "Rolled oarts w/Ales for ALS hop blend: Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe hops."

Am two in and trying to decide if I want to roll the dice on a Fremont F2F Fresh Hop Centennial, a Holy Mountain "Cathedral Kolsch-Style Ale," a 3 Way or just say f-it and keep the Boneyard rolling.
I did not care for Fremont Field to Ferment Simcoe (shocking, I know). Hoping Cowiche Canyon is on point this year
CT - WestbyGod

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15579 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 18th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Went 3 Way, which was a fresh keg. Just couldn’t pull the trigger on Fremont after their long list of craptastrophies passed off as “experimental IPAs.”
Last edited by Andrew Kotowski on September 18th, 2018, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15580 Post by Adam Noble » September 18th, 2018, 6:59 pm

I like Fremont. Just not their IPAs.

BRhoades

#15581 Post by BRhoades » September 19th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Modern Times Beer Co and Bearded Iris Brewing Co. Collaboration, Harvest Of Memories, DIPA.8% ABV. Hopped with Mosaic, Motueka, Strata and Simcoe hops.

OMG is this delicious. Big aromatic nose transitions to a beer that is soft, pillowy and juicy AF. Stone fruits, red and blue berries, soft orange citrus notes and honeyed pineapple. This is so restrained, refined and balanced for a beer that clocks in at 8%. September on line release. Seek it out.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15582 Post by Rick Allen » September 20th, 2018, 9:56 am

Just got to Prague. Had two different beers so far, and neither is as good as the Augustiner. Close, but not as good. So far the overall quality here seems better, but we have four breweries to visit tomorrow or Saturday.

Steven Miller

#15583 Post by Steven Miller » September 20th, 2018, 10:31 am

Rick Allen wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 9:56 am
Just got to Prague. Had two different beers so far, and neither is as good as the Augustiner. Close, but not as good. So far the overall quality here seems better, but we have four breweries to visit tomorrow or Saturday.
I've never seen Augustiner in the US. Do they export?

https://www.augustiner-braeu.de/en/unser-bier.html#

----
I take that back... checking Uptappd I've had their Maximator at the now defunct Berlin Inn in PDX. Other than that one checkin I have never come across their beers.
tread lightly

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15584 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 20th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Which breweries are you going to visit, Rick?

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15585 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 20th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Steven Miller wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 10:31 am
Rick Allen wrote:

----
I take that back... checking Uptappd I've had their Maximator at the now defunct Berlin Inn in PDX. Other than that one checkin I have never come across their beers.
Augustiner-Keller is awesome, but I have not seen it outside of Europe. Fantastic stop if you're in Munich. I've got a picture of myself sitting in one of the big beer barrels, but would take me days to find it :D

BRhoades

#15586 Post by BRhoades » September 20th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Hill Farmstead, Society and Solitude #5. DIPA. 8%ABV. Hopped with American and New Zealand hops. I was very fortunate to get a couple different cans of HF from a good buddy of mine back east. I absolutely loved the Double Citra and now I have this little beauty to check out. The nose is so soft, very floral with just a wisp of ripening citrus. The flavor's follow the nose, this is all citrus, from barely ripe red grapefruit to mandarine orange with a zesty bit of citrus pith mid palate. As usual this is all carried on that world famous HF body, pillowy soft and light as a feather, to call a beer that's 8% ABV delicate is a testament to Shawn Hills brilliance, this is like sipping a gorgeous Grand Cru Burgundy that reveals and opens up to treat the drinker to an amazingly complex drink as it opens and blossoms in the glass. Incredible craftsmanship, just a stunning beer.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15587 Post by Scott Tallman » September 20th, 2018, 7:47 pm

Recently drank a few fresh hop beers (Fremont Field to Ferment Simcoe, Cloudburst, and Holy Mountain Sabro Pale Ale, Fresh hop-infused Kolsch, and Fresh hop infused Demonteller Saison), and have not been terrible impressed thus far. Still holding out hope that Fremont Cowiche Canyon and Holy Mountain Wet Wired or Cone on Cone are excellent.

Tonight, drank Floodland Roseate 2017 Harvest Blend #2, a blend of two spelt saisons- one refermented on 2nd use organic nectarines, the other refermented on 2nd use organic red & gold raspberries and small amounts of organic black cap raspberries and blackberries. The beers were blended and rested on a selection of Vermouth I spited botanicals, hops, and etrog citrus. Absolutely delicious and refreshing beer. Easily drinkable and kicking myself for only buying one bottle.
CT - WestbyGod

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15588 Post by Rick Allen » September 20th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Steven Miller wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 10:31 am
Rick Allen wrote:

----
I've never seen Augustiner in the U.S., except for the bottles brought in by a friend who is a flight attendant for Delta - Munich-Atlanta-Portland, and into my fridge.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15589 Post by Rick Allen » September 20th, 2018, 10:44 pm

September 20th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Which breweries are you going to visit, Rick?
Lod Pivovar
Pivovar Strahov
U Flecku
Vinohradsky Pivovar

These are all relatively small operations. I hope to get in to Krusovice, which is much bigger, as well.

TR Barry

#15590 Post by TR Barry » September 21st, 2018, 1:31 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 7:47 pm
Tonight, drank Floodland Roseate 2017 Harvest Blend #2, a blend of two spelt saisons- one refermented on 2nd use organic nectarines, the other refermented on 2nd use organic red & gold raspberries and small amounts of organic black cap raspberries and blackberries. The beers were blended and rested on a selection of Vermouth I spited botanicals, hops, and etrog citrus. Absolutely delicious and refreshing beer. Easily drinkable and kicking myself for only buying one bottle.
Thanks for the note on the Floodland. I've been holding off digging into the bottles from the July release but may just need to open one this weekend to enjoy.
Todd- Lost In The White Room

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15591 Post by Scott Tallman » September 21st, 2018, 1:43 pm

TR Barry wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 1:31 pm
Scott Tallman wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 7:47 pm
Thanks for the note on the Floodland. I've been holding off digging into the bottles from the July release but may just need to open one this weekend to enjoy.
Although all the beers are really well made, I’ve either been wowed by them (e.g., Roseate, Marsanne, Protection Spells, Time/Eternity, Grails & Waysign) or realized I just don’t like the style at all (all the field blend beers, Drive out the Spirits, the passion fruit beer). Will definitely renew Oakworks for 2019, but will be much more discerning in my purchases.

Still have yet to crack a Cab Franc or Voice Hearers, but fully expect they will, like the Marsanne, be in my wheelhouse.
CT - WestbyGod

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15592 Post by Rick Allen » September 22nd, 2018, 11:56 am

We went to four breweries in the last two days. Tried but failed to get into Krusevice and didn't make it all the way up the hill to Pivovar Stahov:

Vinohdrasky - They have a nice little restaurant close to our hotel, but we went out to the brewery, and tasted 5 beers - Pils (probably their weakest beer), unfiltered lager (very good), Amber (very similar to the Czech-style amber we did. very good), American Pale Ale (I joked with the brewer about him bringing hops from Oregon while I'm bringing hops from here. Very good for a 5.2% alcohol beer with lots of Centennial and Cascade hops), Summer Ale (Low alcohol, but modestly hopped with Citra. Interesting and refreshing)

U Flecku - The oldest continuously operating brewery in the world (from 1499) serves one beer - a dark Czech lager. Very good, and a cool place.

Pivovar Nadrondi - Warm ferment equals disappointing lagers.

Pivovar U Tri Ruzi - The Pils is the best of the trip so far. No flaws and great flavor. My only suggestion would be a few more hops. Excellent amber lager as well, and a very good dark lager. In Bud's words, highly recommended.

The microbrew culture is growing in Prague. People are still brewing that standards but branching out into more American-style stuff as well. I heard of at least three other breweries that we didn't get to. One thing I noticed is that you don't see any 7+% alcohol beers. Malt is too expensive versus beer prices (about $2.50 for a pint). Hops probably become somewhat limiting because of price as well.

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15593 Post by fred o. » September 26th, 2018, 10:30 am

BRhoades wrote:
July 20th, 2018, 8:28 am

Modern Times Beer. MT5. DIPA.8.4% ABV Hopped with Citra, Nelson and Motueka hops.

This release was part of the on line sale celebrating MTs 5th anniversary. If you thought Hedge Witch was great wait until you taste this. Incredible aromatics of super ripe tropical fruits, tangerine and dank green earthiness jump from the glass, just an insanely great smelling beer. Flavors show super ripe pineapple, papaya, mango and a huge mid palate scrape of bitter sweet orange. There is that amazing balance between juice bomb and west coast bitter hoppiness. MT5 finishes very long and juicy, I love and miss Nelson Sauvin heavy beers and this delivers big time. This is as good as the style gets.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Great note, Bud. Had this recently and it was one of the best IPAs I can recall tasting. Just the nose alone was explosively aromatic and "bigly" complex. Loved how it was so easy to get, too; no waiting in line, I could just walk into the dankness dojo and pick it up. Love what Modern Times is doing.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15594 Post by Scott Tallman » September 26th, 2018, 11:03 am

While I’ve found most of the local fresh hop beers disappointing this year, Fremont Brewing nailed Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop Pale Ale this year.

Hoping the hazy, draft-only version of Cowiche they will release soon is closer to the non-hazy Cowiche in quality versus the Head of Dynamite hazies they’ve released.
CT - WestbyGod

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15595 Post by ClarkstonMark » September 26th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Broadcasting Live and Water Balloon Fight Club at Monkish.
Bud if you have a mtg nearby tomorrow I’d be happy to buy you a couple beers (I’m hoping for a can release tomorrow)
You too Brian, Fu, etc
Attachments
10392280-33AB-4ADD-A75B-2D90D6157BC8.jpeg
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15596 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 26th, 2018, 10:06 pm

Damn! I wish I could join, Mark, but I have to run to offsite tmrw afternoon/evening. Glad you're stopping at Monkish while in town!

recent tipples:

Modern Times - "Space Ways" NEIPA ---- I've been buying and drinking the hell outta this one. Love the sub-7% abv. Have already noticed, however, that I do like this one as fresh as possible.

Funkwerks - Tropic King Saison ----- not as good as the first time I had it years ago when Anthony sent one to me. Recently discovered they were bought-out by Big Beer, so this is the last time I'm buying.

Modern Times - Dymaxion NEPA ---- really really tasty! I don't think I'd guess Pale Ale if tasting blind. Love the sub-6% abv.. Will continue to buy as long as it remains available and fresh.

Drie Fonteinen - Oude Gueuze (2017 bottling) ---- excellent.

Kern River - Chuuurch IPA ---- nuschool West Coast IPA. I love it, and slightly prefer it to their "Just Outstanding" IPA.

... that's all I can think of right now.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15597 Post by Rick Allen » September 26th, 2018, 11:40 pm

Been quieter in Budpest and Vienna. I did have the Dreher Pils in Budapest that was quite good for a mega-brewery (Asahi) beer. For those that don't know, Anton Dreher was one of the fathers of modern lager brewing back in the 1800's.

Vienna has been a mixed bag of stale and marginal beers. I did have a Budweiser (the real one from Czech Republic) that was an absolute diacetyl bomb. It's not good when the only thing that stands out the flawed beers.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15598 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 26th, 2018, 11:44 pm

Ouch. Sorry, Rick.

I hope you've at least been enjoying the scenery! :)

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15599 Post by Craig G » September 27th, 2018, 5:58 am

I’m back in Taiwan and found a local store with a bunch of Cantillon Gueuze, about $17 for the 750ml. It may be my house wine this week.
A20E598F-FFD7-47BE-9B8D-EAE2D54E59FE.jpeg
“I want to halve your babies” — King Solomon

C. Gle@son

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15600 Post by Rick Allen » September 28th, 2018, 8:45 am

So far in Vienna I've now had a Ottakringer Pils (quite good) and Helles (not as good), and Steigl (quite good). While both rise above American industrial beer (including the large Craft stuff), and are also better than 5 of the Big 6 from Munich, they are no match for the smaller craft lagers we see in the U.S. I suspect that I would find better beer in the smaller towns, but this is a train trip and getting out in the country is more difficult.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”