What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#17051 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Mark Y wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:39 pm Last weekend. Went well with yakitori.

61A6743F-4297-4755-86BC-3773610A9EF2.jpeg
That’s a lot of Floodland. I have some for trade now :)
Instagram at @akgrill

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17052 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Been crushing FANZINE, new seasonal IPA from Ft George & Great Notion. It’s literally being served everywhere in Clatsop Co.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17053 Post by BRhoades »

Fieldwork Brewing Co. PULP, IPA 6.9% ABV Hopped with Citra hops. I cannot express how much I enjoy direct shipping from Fieldwork, it allows me the freedom to browse and shop for beers that before Covid were damn near impossible to acquire in So Cal unless your a trader, I am not, or your favorite bottle shop gets a keg or small allotment of their beers like Bottlecraft SD/LB. This is the latest PULP release and it's fantastic. Also made available for the 1st time ever for direct shipping last week was Nose Art, a DIPA hopped with Nelson and Mosaic which was previously a pub only pour.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time~Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17054 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Glenn L e v i n e wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:45 am Been crushing FANZINE, new seasonal IPA from Ft George & Great Notion. It’s literally being served everywhere in Clatsop Co.
This is at least the second, possibly third year they've released. It's a solid bear, but I'm more bullish on their Magnetic Fields release, which is just now winding down. Had one at lunch today :D

Bring on the 3 WAY!!!!!!!
Instagram at @akgrill

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17055 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

a couple recents from Monkish, including the awesome "Life is Foggier."
Swami's
Kern River Brewing - "Citra" IPA
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17056 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

I like Fanzine more than Magnetic Fields.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17057 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Monkish - "The Realness" ... never seen this one before. 8.3 DDH NEIIPA, hopped with Galaxy and Amarillo. Normally, this is not a hop bill I'd go for --- Amarillo long ago proved itself not to my liking; that said, in a hazy, made by Monkish, backing-up Galaxy, I figured I'd give this a shot. Overall, thought it was good. It didn't immediately strike me as awesome. Reserving final opinion for now.

Monkish - "Foggier Window" ... ohhhhh, man ... {sigh} ... it's been a long time. This is, possibly, my favorite Monkish. 8.1% DDH NEIIPA, hopped with Citra, Nelson, and Galaxy. Incredibly snappiness from the Nelson plays off the juicy pillowy citrus softness of the Citra and Galaxy. Drinks best cool, not cold. Soooooo good!

a quick word of praise: there were no less than *five* hazy options when I ordered these earlier today, and there's still five available as of this post. I sincerely hope this level of cans availability is here to stay.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17058 Post by TimF »

My first one in years.
B60D7613-1D66-4764-A3DE-0905B1D10209.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim F@itsch

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17059 Post by BRhoades »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: April 10th, 2021, 12:03 am Monkish - "The Realness" ... never seen this one before. 8.3 DDH NEIIPA, hopped with Galaxy and Amarillo. Normally, this is not a hop bill I'd go for --- Amarillo long ago proved itself not to my liking; that said, in a hazy, made by Monkish, backing-up Galaxy, I figured I'd give this a shot. Overall, thought it was good. It didn't immediately strike me as awesome. Reserving final opinion for now.

Monkish - "Foggier Window" ... ohhhhh, man ... {sigh} ... it's been a long time. This is, possibly, my favorite Monkish. 8.1% DDH NEIIPA, hopped with Citra, Nelson, and Galaxy. Incredibly snappiness from the Nelson plays off the juicy pillowy citrus softness of the Citra and Galaxy. Drinks best cool, not cold. Soooooo good!

a quick word of praise: there were no less than *five* hazy options when I ordered these earlier today, and there's still five available as of this post. I sincerely hope this level of cans availability is here to stay.
It's pretty normal these days Brian and with the new brewery/restaurant opening in Anaheim in May expect output to increase even more.

This batch of Foggier is fantastic !

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17060 Post by BRhoades »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: April 10th, 2021, 12:03 am Monkish - "The Realness" ... never seen this one before. 8.3 DDH NEIIPA, hopped with Galaxy and Amarillo. Normally, this is not a hop bill I'd go for --- Amarillo long ago proved itself not to my liking; that said, in a hazy, made by Monkish, backing-up Galaxy, I figured I'd give this a shot. Overall, thought it was good. It didn't immediately strike me as awesome. Reserving final opinion for now.

You make a point that I am adamant about when it comes to these hazy beers, I always let mine sit out for a minimum of 20-25 minutes before drinking, they open up so much more, I offer this recommendation to everyone who loves these style beers.

Cheers

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on April 13th, 2021, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17061 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Agreed, Bud. I think they have a tendency to come across as quite minerally when too cold, and -- yes -- subdued on the Nose, too.

Edward H. Earles

#17062 Post by Edward H. Earles »

I have a question, and I suspect someone here will be able to answer. I've noticed that quite a few of my preferred British beers (Timothy Taylor Landlord, Caledonian's Golden Promise, Young's Ram Rod, etc) are now extremely hard to find. Are the breweries not exporting to the U.S. now, or does this matter result from actions by distributors?

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17063 Post by Rick Allen »

Edward H. Earles wrote: April 14th, 2021, 5:45 pm I have a question, and I suspect someone here will be able to answer. I've noticed that quite a few of my preferred British beers (Timothy Taylor Landlord, Caledonian's Golden Promise, Young's Ram Rod, etc) are now extremely hard to find. Are the breweries not exporting to the U.S. now, or does this matter result from actions by distributors?
At least one of these breweries was imported by Shelton Brothers, who recent declared bankruptcy. I suspect the fallout from that may be affecting European supplies in general.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17064 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Nom nom nom!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Instagram at @akgrill

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17065 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Edward H. Earles wrote: April 14th, 2021, 5:45 pm I have a question, and I suspect someone here will be able to answer. I've noticed that quite a few of my preferred British beers (Timothy Taylor Landlord, Caledonian's Golden Promise, Young's Ram Rod, etc) are now extremely hard to find. Are the breweries not exporting to the U.S. now, or does this matter result from actions by distributors?
Don't know the answer to your question; just came here to say TT's "Landlord" is awesome!

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17066 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Hondo Triple Dog Dare Imperial IPA. So good, but just one if you’re driving! Whoa. Astoria, OR

D66615DF-41D7-4EE2-BB8F-FB0DCCA3C475.jpeg

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17067 Post by BRhoades »

Monkish Brewing Co. Blue Heaven On Earth, batch 2. DDH'd DIPA 8% ABV. Hopped with Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo and Citra hops. I missed out on last years batch but was able to snag cans today from yesterdays release, love the ease of procuring Monkish these days ! This is basically the Foggier hop bill but with the Amarillo in place of Galaxy hops and it works big time. Lush and tropical, with notes of juicy citrus for good measure. It's dank, and hoppy AF but has that beautiful Monkish balance. Oh, and that can art ! Henry is a huge Dodger fan obviously ! This is next level hoppiness.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on April 16th, 2021, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17068 Post by BRhoades »

Glenn L e v i n e wrote: April 15th, 2021, 10:06 am Hondo Triple Dog Dare Imperial IPA. So good, but just one if you’re driving! Whoa. Astoria, OR

D66615DF-41D7-4EE2-BB8F-FB0DCCA3C475.jpeg

What's the ABV on that puppy Glenn ? Looks delicious !

Cheers,

Bud

Edward H. Earles

#17069 Post by Edward H. Earles »

I have a brief update in regard to the question I posted above. Today I made a visit to The Beer Trappe over in Lexington, which has a very large selection of gourmet beers, in an attempt to source some of my British favorites. To my surprise there were none of those present, in fact they only had 5 British labels (out of over 1000 different beers): three from Harviestoun and 2 from Samuel Smith. The sales clerk came over and I asked him what had happened to all of the British beers they used to sell. He said that they quit stocking them because nobody was buying them. I mentioned the Fuller's and Young's beers and he said that those are not distributed here (meaning in central Kentucky) anymore!

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17070 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Bud - I believe it was 10.4%. Such a fantastic beer lovers place. A lot of too-cool-for-school beer in Astoria. Hondo just is their own sweet thing.

I got a growler I’m seeking right now.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17071 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

BRhoades wrote: April 15th, 2021, 4:59 pm Image

Monkish Brewing Co. Blue Heaven On Earth, batch 2. DDH'd DIPA 8% ABV. Hopped with Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo and Citra hops. I missed out on last years batch but was able to snag cans today from yesterdays release, love the ease of procuring Monkish these days ! This is basically the Foggier hop bill but with the Amarillo in place of Galaxy hops and it works big time. Lush and tropical, with notes of juicy citrus for good measure. It's dank, and hoppy AF but has that beautiful Monkish balance. Oh, and that can art ! Henry is a huge Dodger fan obviously ! This is next level hoppiness.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
+1. I love this one ( but not as much as I do Foggier)

SJeffery

#17072 Post by SJeffery »

RRBC Apical Dominance. If you're in CA and you haven't had this one yet you are messing up. Check your local retailer that stocks Pliny and see if they've got any. Using an experimental hop this one does have a somewhat unique pink grapefruit note. Dangerously drinkable as a hoppy lager ought to be. Dry, mildly bitter, aromatic. They seem to be sold out online so this is likely only avail in their distribution network.
Scott J - Beer and spirit lover developing a palate for wine

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17073 Post by BRhoades »

Glenn L e v i n e wrote: April 16th, 2021, 4:05 pm Bud - I believe it was 10.4%. Such a fantastic beer lovers place. A lot of too-cool-for-school beer in Astoria. Hondo just is their own sweet thing.

A good friend and his wife just flew up to Bend yesterday to explore the local craft beer scene, he hit up Sunriver, 10 Barrel and Boss Rambler and texted me that they were all very good to excellent.Food looked insane too ! We need to get back up to Oregon and explore the beer scene more, in the past every trip to Oregon was Pinot centric.

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on April 17th, 2021, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17074 Post by BRhoades »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:07 pm
BRhoades wrote: April 15th, 2021, 4:59 pm Image

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
+1. I love this one ( but not as much as I do Foggier)
IMHO Foggier is the best beer Monkish brews.

Cheers,

Bud

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17075 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

BRhoades wrote: April 17th, 2021, 10:09 am
Glenn L e v i n e wrote: April 16th, 2021, 4:05 pm Bud - I believe it was 10.4%. Such a fantastic beer lovers place. A lot of too-cool-for-school beer in Astoria. Hondo just is their own sweet thing.

A good friend and his wife just flew up to Bend yesterday to explore the local craft beer scene, he hit up Sunriver, 10 Barrel and Boss Rambler and texted me that they were all very good to excellent.Food looked insane too ! We need to get back up to Oregon and explore the beer scene more, in the past every trip to Oregon was Pinot centric.

Cheers,

Bud
Tell your buddy Ale Apothecary and Monkish.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17076 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Monkish is in Bend, now?!? Boneyard is a must-hit for me when I’m there.
Instagram at @akgrill

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17077 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: April 17th, 2021, 2:28 pm Monkish is in Bend, now?!? Boneyard is a must-hit for me when I’m there.
Monkless, my error. Thx.

Matthew Brown

#17078 Post by Matthew Brown »

Edward H. Earles wrote: April 16th, 2021, 9:49 am I have a brief update in regard to the question I posted above. Today I made a visit to The Beer Trappe over in Lexington, which has a very large selection of gourmet beers, in an attempt to source some of my British favorites. To my surprise there were none of those present, in fact they only had 5 British labels (out of over 1000 different beers): three from Harviestoun and 2 from Samuel Smith. The sales clerk came over and I asked him what had happened to all of the British beers they used to sell. He said that they quit stocking them because nobody was buying them. I mentioned the Fuller's and Young's beers and he said that those are not distributed here (meaning in central Kentucky) anymore!
Young’s, at least in our market, eliminated importing everything except the Double Chocolate Stout within the last 6-8 years. Even domestically a lot of breweries will limit distribution in a lot of markets to only their most prolific and profitable labels, and exports even more so.Not a lot of populations can justify importing container loads of more esoteric beers any more, especially if the local breweries can create good fresh options.
Needs a make on a white pimpmobile

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17079 Post by BRhoades »

Glenn L e v i n e wrote: April 17th, 2021, 1:13 pm
BRhoades wrote: April 17th, 2021, 10:09 am

Cheers,

Bud
Tell your buddy Ale Apothecary and Monkish.
I'll send the reco for both, thanks Glenn.

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17080 Post by BRhoades »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: April 17th, 2021, 2:28 pm Monkish is in Bend, now?!? Boneyard is a must-hit for me when I’m there.

Henry loves the great PNW, in May they open a new taproom and restaurant in Anaheim and I've been told they have closed a deal on property in Hollywood, soooooooo.......who knows [highfive.gif]

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17081 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

He got me sooooo excited. I’ll drive six hours to spend the weekend in Bend and schlep home a bunch of Monkish :) Monkless? Not so much :)
Instagram at @akgrill

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17082 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

BRhoades wrote: April 17th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Henry loves the great PNW, in May they open a new taproom and restaurant in Anaheim and I've been told they have closed a deal on property in Hollywood, soooooooo.......who knows [highfive.gif]

Cheers,

Bud
Have you talked with Henry about maintaining quality as he expands? How does he plan on ensuring no qualitative drop-off? It would be devastating to see Monkish fall.

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17083 Post by BRhoades »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: April 18th, 2021, 9:16 am
BRhoades wrote: April 17th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Cheers,

Bud
Have you talked with Henry about maintaining quality as he expands? How does he plan on ensuring no qualitative drop-off? It would be devastating to see Monkish fall.
No I have not, I reached out to him regarding our design build services for the new space but that was it, Henry is a man of very few words, and that's putting it lightly LOL ! What I do know is that he is a perfectionist, I think he's done his homework and has already brewed a few pilot batches in Anaheim for QC issues. I really don't know what the roll out will be, I know that Torrance is getting a new pub/eatery too. My guess is he continues to can as much as possible in Torrance and send cans to Anaheim for the time being for their mini mart there. I would doubt that Monkish goes down the Alpine Beer Co. road, I have personally watched him dump entire batches of beer because it wasn't up to his standards, add the fact that his quality as he has quadrupled his can output hasn't suffered an iota IMHO.

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on April 19th, 2021, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edward H. Earles

#17084 Post by Edward H. Earles »

Matthew Brown wrote: April 17th, 2021, 5:00 pm
Edward H. Earles wrote: April 16th, 2021, 9:49 am I have a brief update in regard to the question I posted above. Today I made a visit to The Beer Trappe over in Lexington, which has a very large selection of gourmet beers, in an attempt to source some of my British favorites. To my surprise there were none of those present, in fact they only had 5 British labels (out of over 1000 different beers): three from Harviestoun and 2 from Samuel Smith. The sales clerk came over and I asked him what had happened to all of the British beers they used to sell. He said that they quit stocking them because nobody was buying them. I mentioned the Fuller's and Young's beers and he said that those are not distributed here (meaning in central Kentucky) anymore!
Young’s, at least in our market, eliminated importing everything except the Double Chocolate Stout within the last 6-8 years. Even domestically a lot of breweries will limit distribution in a lot of markets to only their most prolific and profitable labels, and exports even more so.Not a lot of populations can justify importing container loads of more esoteric beers any more, especially if the local breweries can create good fresh options.
That is bad news. We have friends in Charlottesville and visit them occasionally. I was hoping I could drop by Market Street Wines and pick up some hard-to-find beers (we used to do that).

For the most part, the new American ales don't provide "good" options for my palate. I don't like American hops....I find them loud, coarse, and cloying.

Matthew Brown

#17085 Post by Matthew Brown »

Edward H. Earles wrote: April 18th, 2021, 10:38 am
Matthew Brown wrote: April 17th, 2021, 5:00 pm
That is bad news. We have friends in Charlottesville and visit them occasionally. I was hoping I could drop by Market Street Wines and pick up some hard-to-find beers (we used to do that).

For the most part, the new American ales don't provide "good" options for my palate. I don't like American hops....I find them loud, coarse, and cloying.
More American craft breweries are doing a better job with European styles. Lagers especially, but even the English styles more and more. May be part of the rotational aspects of craft brewing and they come and go at each place, but can sometimes be a part of their core lineup. Good breweries may also choose not to do their more English styles for packaging and save them for draft and cask pours on premise. Fresh draft is always the best versions of those types of beers so they may not sully them with trying to package them.
Needs a make on a white pimpmobile

Edward H. Earles

#17086 Post by Edward H. Earles »

No one in our area pursues the English styles. I was a home-brewer for several years back in the 1990s and nearly always employed noble hops from either Britain or the continent.

I settled for a Cuvee Renee at that store the other day. I drank it the next night....it was quite good, but I'm still craving a London-style ale.

Scott Tallman

#17087 Post by Scott Tallman »

Heater Allen/Great Notion Lady in the Mirror Italian-style Pilsner - a really nice rendition of this style with more body and less crisp than my favorite domestic version, Terrifica by Heater Allen/Wayfinder/Modern Times.

Love the can art with Lisa on it. Rick, time for you to put your mug on an HA label!

Lindemann’s Cuvee Rene Kriek - Drank while watching Liege-Bastogne-Liege. 5.5 year old bottle that has held up much better than expected.
Last edited by Scott Tallman on April 25th, 2021, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17088 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Foggy Sunday

Monkish - "Foggy Window" NEIIPA. Hopped with Nelson, Galaxy and Citra. Canned: 4/20/21. Clear orange-y citrus Nose. Probably my favorite Nose of the three --- at least initially. Clearly-defined flavors on the palate -- more similar to "LiF" than it is to "Foggier."

Monkish - "Foggier Window" DDH NEIIPA. Hopped with Citra, Galaxy and Nelson. Canned: 4/07/21. Lightest, most mineral-driven Nose initially. Biggest beer of the bunch as far as mouthfeel and flavor concentration. This really struggles next to the non-DDH double and the DDH single; this really amazes me, as, up to this point, have been convinced this is my favorite Monkish. Looks like I might favor "Foggy," which, truth be told, isn't exactly shocking.

Monkish - "Life is Foggier" DDH NEIPA. Hopped with Citra, Nelson and Galaxy. Canned: 3/24/21. Nose is very similar to "Foggy," but a bit sweeter -- leans more in the direction of dank indica. Can tell this is a single, when tasted alongside the others, which are both doubles. A bit snappy; mainly orange and tangerine with some herbal notions in the background.

This tasting turned-out much differently than I planned. If I'm being 100% honest here, my ranking is Foggy>LiF>Foggier. [wow.gif]

To be clear, all three are excellent, and this was a delicious exercise in grinding gnatshit. [drinkers.gif]

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17089 Post by BRhoades »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: April 25th, 2021, 2:54 pm Foggy Sunday

Monkish - "Foggy Window" NEIIPA. Hopped with Nelson, Galaxy and Citra. Canned: 4/20/21. Clear orange-y citrus Nose. Probably my favorite Nose of the three --- at least initially. Clearly-defined flavors on the palate -- more similar to "LiF" than it is to "Foggier."

Monkish - "Foggier Window" DDH NEIIPA. Hopped with Citra, Galaxy and Nelson. Canned: 4/07/21. Lightest, most mineral-driven Nose initially. Biggest beer of the bunch as far as mouthfeel and flavor concentration. This really struggles next to the non-DDH double and the DDH single; this really amazes me, as, up to this point, have been convinced this is my favorite Monkish. Looks like I might favor "Foggy," which, truth be told, isn't exactly shocking.

Monkish - "Life is Foggier" DDH NEIPA. Hopped with Citra, Nelson and Galaxy. Canned: 3/24/21. Nose is very similar to "Foggy," but a bit sweeter -- leans more in the direction of dank indica. Can tell this is a single, when tasted alongside the others, which are both doubles. A bit snappy; mainly orange and tangerine with some herbal notions in the background.

This tasting turned-out much differently than I planned. If I'm being 100% honest here, my ranking is Foggy>LiF>Foggier. [wow.gif]

To be clear, all three are excellent, and this was a delicious exercise in grinding gnatshit. [drinkers.gif]
Thank you for all your hard work Brian, that must have been grueling ! For the record, batch 8 of Foggy is next level hopvana, I agree with your assessment and may very well order more when Monkish opens Wednesday morning.

Cheers buddy,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17090 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Such hard work ... grueling!! [wow.gif] [truce.gif] [wink.gif]

Steven King

#17091 Post by Steven King »

The beer trading thread is dead and I posted in Commerce Corner, just covering my ground. Can anyone help with Funky Buddha Maple Bacon and Wood Series?

Steven King

#17092 Post by Steven King »

The beer trading thread is dead and I posted in Commerce Corner, just covering my ground. Can anyone help with Funky Buddha Maple Bacon and Wood Series?

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17093 Post by BRhoades »

Green Cheek Beer Co. Tomorrow's Yesterday. DDH DIPA.8.6% ABV. Hopped with Nelson Sauvin and Motueka hops from Free Style Farms in New Zealand. Milky yellow with big aromatics that jump out of the glass.Your getting sweet crushed pineapple, juicy ripe mango's,Kiwi, Passion fruit and lemon lime notes. The body is rich and creamy. As with most GC hazies the balance is on point, no detection of the ABV. Long juicy sweet drying finish, incredibly approachable for the size.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17094 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Had a choice to make - Fort George Fanzine or Fremont Head Full of Dynamite Hazy.

I doubled up on the HFoD, as I've had a bunch of the Fanzine lately.

I chose... poorly.
Instagram at @akgrill

Edward H. Earles

#17095 Post by Edward H. Earles »

Edward H. Earles wrote: April 18th, 2021, 12:30 pm No one in our area pursues the English styles. I was a home-brewer for several years back in the 1990s and nearly always employed noble hops from either Britain or the continent.
As an update, the local Total Wine is now carrying Fuller's beers again, so lately, I've been enjoying Fuller's ESB, London Pride, and Porter.

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17096 Post by BRhoades »

Monkish Brewing Co. Foggy Glitter, Pale Ale, 6.4% ABV. Hopped with Citra, Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy hops.

Considering IMHO the Foggy series of IPA's and DIPA's from Monkish are as close to perfection as it gets, it didn't surprise me that Henry's Foggy Pale Ale wouldn't live up to the lofty expectations of it's bigger sibling's. This Pale Ale offers more aromatics and complexity of flavors from beers twice the size. This delivered everything I expected and more, but with that lineage of success, it really didn't surprise me. Available at the brewery for curbside pick up. This is next level Pale Ale.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Alex N
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17097 Post by Alex N »

Alvarado St "Contains No Juice" 7th Anniversary, canning date 5/5/2021.
It's a tropical fruit hop aroma bomb, juicy, smooth and super delicious.
I don't drink IPAs as much over the past few years but this is one hell of a hazy style DIPA.
avst7thcnj.jpg
Description from the Alvarado site:
This 7th Anniversary edition of Contains No Juice has been fermented with an expressive yeast that’s been bioengineered by Berkeley Yeast to crank up the tropical vibes by promoting the biotransformation of bound thiols! Thiols are natural molecular compounds that are responsible for the aroma and flavor we taste in many things - fruit, wine and even beer (as some hops naturally contain thiols). Specifically, we’re focusing on the 3MH thiol (short for 3-mercaptohexan) which is linked to passionfruit, guava and grapefruit flavors. Which we’ve augmented with a double dry hopped load of Mosaic, Citra & Nelson Sauvin!
@13x N1ch•!z

Steve Eisenhauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17098 Post by Steve Eisenhauer »

https://sixpoint.com/beers/spritzer-bomb/ on draft from a local tavern.

Very interesting brew. Fresh and lively, the slight sweetness of the sauvignon blanc meshes well with the bitterness of the double IPA. A lot of complexity.

An aside: I now drink draft beer nearly exclusively. I tried one of my favorite local beers (Kane Head High IPA) from a can recently and almost spit out the first taste - it was entirely different than the drafts I've been drinking over the past year+.
No longer ITB - Congruence Wines

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17099 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Alex N wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:21 pm Alvarado St "Contains No Juice" 7th Anniversary, canning date 5/5/2021.
It's a tropical fruit hop aroma bomb, juicy, smooth and super delicious.
I don't drink IPAs as much over the past few years but this is one hell of a hazy style DIPA.

avst7thcnj.jpg

Description from the Alvarado site:
This 7th Anniversary edition of Contains No Juice has been fermented with an expressive yeast that’s been bioengineered by Berkeley Yeast to crank up the tropical vibes by promoting the biotransformation of bound thiols! Thiols are natural molecular compounds that are responsible for the aroma and flavor we taste in many things - fruit, wine and even beer (as some hops naturally contain thiols). Specifically, we’re focusing on the 3MH thiol (short for 3-mercaptohexan) which is linked to passionfruit, guava and grapefruit flavors. Which we’ve augmented with a double dry hopped load of Mosaic, Citra & Nelson Sauvin!
This sounds amazing! I might have to go hunting ...

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17100 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Clearing out some beer I forgot about in the garage.

Fort George rum barrel aged Russian imperial with “even more coconut and cherries.”

Not sure id buy this variant pack again (averaged $30 per 500 ml to have shipped to door), but it was enjoyable.
Instagram at @akgrill

Return to “Beer and Spirits”