What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#15751 Post by Mike Maguire » November 25th, 2018, 2:08 pm

Had the 2018 BCS and BCS coffee stout on tap, both were excellent, as well as The BCS from bottle.I thought this years version was a big step up from last years.

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15752 Post by ClarkstonMark » November 25th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Mike Maguire wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 2:08 pm
Had the 2018 BCS and BCS coffee stout on tap, both were excellent, as well as The BCS from bottle.I thought this years version was a big step up from last years.
the coffee was barleywine or a previous vintage?
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15753 Post by Mike Maguire » November 25th, 2018, 5:23 pm

ClarkstonMark wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 3:30 pm
Mike Maguire wrote:
the coffee was barleywine or a previous vintage?
Mark
I assumed it was this years release, it was on tap at a local restaurant in Crystal Lake but I didn’t pay attention to the vintage, it was really good though.

JeromeHan

#15754 Post by JeromeHan » November 25th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Mike Maguire wrote:
I thought this years version was a big step up from last years.
Interesting. I do think that this year's is more balanced than last year's, but I also think it is a little thinner. I cracked one of last years last night and it was drinking very nicely. I remember the 2017 being very boozy upon release, but a lot of that is gone now. With the 2018 being so thin, I don't know if I would lay any down.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15755 Post by Mike Maguire » November 26th, 2018, 8:56 am

JeromeHan wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 11:16 pm
Mike Maguire wrote:
Interesting. I do think that this year's is more balanced than last year's, but I also think it is a little thinner. I cracked one of last years last night and it was drinking very nicely. I remember the 2017 being very boozy upon release, but a lot of that is gone now. With the 2018 being so thin, I don't know if I would lay any down.
That’s a good point, balance was probably behind my reasoning. It is really good right out of the gate, especially
With 15.2% abv

BRhoades

#15756 Post by BRhoades » November 28th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Modern Times Beer. Weather Control. DIPA. 7.5% ABV. Hopped with Amarillo,Denali, Mosaic and Simcoe hops.

2018 has been THE year for Modern Times Beer. IMHO nobody produces this high of quality across such a broad range of beer styles with production volumes not seen before for a craft brewery. This is from the November on-line release and is a DIPA packed full of juicy tropical fruit flavors like pineapple, passion fruit and papaya as well as ripe sweet citrus. This opens with a pop of sweet mandarine orange before transitioning to those juicy tropical fruits and is delivered on a medium soft body that finishes with a nice bitter orange pith bite that makes this actually crushable despite the 7.5% ABV. I'm really looking forward to the colder wet weather ahead to dip into my stash of their amazing BA beers that I've accumulated over the past several months.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

BRhoades

#15757 Post by BRhoades » November 28th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Beachwood Brewing. 28 Haze Later. IPA. 6.8% ABV. Hopped with Galaxy Mosaic and Citra hops. Of the few NE styled IPAs Julian Shrago has brewed I have always preferred this over all others, I often wished they would can this but knowing Beachwood like I do it was a pipe-dream. Then on the day before Thanksgiving they unleashed this gorgeous IPA to the masses. I guess then theoretically this could be considered a " shelfy " and in the year of the shelfy this has to be considered as one of the best. It has the holy trilogy of hops to start with, it's ABV is right in my wheel house and it has one of the most explosively delicious noses on ANY NEIPA I've reviewed this year, and it is utterly delicious. Layers of complex flavors and aromatics are the showcase of this amazing IPA. Oranges, pineapple, berries and stone fruits abound and are all delivered on a beautifully balanced body that is full yet crisp and spritzy. This is a beer that you can sit down and crush multiples of while watching a great game with all types of food from pizza's to burgers and everything in between, an amazing food beer, we taste tested this in depth over the long Thanksgiving weekend with a smorgasbord of different types of foods. This just hit distro at better bottle shops that carry Beachwood cans and is also available at their three locations.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on November 29th, 2018, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15758 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 28th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Oooh!! I looooove that Beachwood! Thanks for the heads-up, Bud.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

BRhoades

#15759 Post by BRhoades » November 29th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Oooh!! I looooove that Beachwood! Thanks for the heads-up, Bud.
It's even better out of can Brian, don't miss this one buddy.

Cheers,

Bud

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#15760 Post by Jorge Henriquez » November 29th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Hate to admit it but 2018 BCBS reg is legitimately great! No Coffee this year right?
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - Golden Vines
http://golden-vines.com/

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15761 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 30th, 2018, 7:00 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 7:20 pm
Hate to admit it but 2018 BCBS reg is legitimately great! No Coffee this year right?
*sigh* Picked up two bottles because of the hype on this thread and got gouged $14.99.

Tried a 2016 Deschutes Abyss on tap last night. Don’t think it was stored well, as it was pretty mediocre.

JeromeHan

#15762 Post by JeromeHan » November 30th, 2018, 11:49 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
No coffee stout this year, only a coffee barleywine.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15763 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 2nd, 2018, 2:43 pm

Saw this (Modern Times Bedrock) on the shelf, had to pick-up as I could hear Bud whispering in my ear, “Andrew, it has coffee and coconut... and it’s Highly Recommended!”

Toffee-caramel color, with a nitro-head, clear coconut on the nose with light coffee on the back end. Nice stout, but man I’ve anchored on Barrel-aged beers, so it feels a bit on the lighter side.
Attachments
CE34554F-9305-41BF-85FC-F517E8D365A5.jpeg

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15764 Post by Paul Miller » December 2nd, 2018, 3:06 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
The Barleywine and Coffee are combined this year.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15765 Post by Paul Miller » December 2nd, 2018, 3:18 pm

IMG_3244.JPG

The local Whole Foods near me has a beer bar near the front entrance. On Friday they had their BCBS event. Of course the variants were gone by the time I could get there. That said, my brother in-law lives in one of the far NW suburbs, and found the Bramble at his local Binny's today.

HOWEVER, WFs had ALL of the beers on tap. I've never seen anyone have all of them on tap at one time here in Chicago. I tried the Vanilla and the Bramble. The Vanilla was not as sweet as I was led to believe, and I found it ok. Then I tried the Bramble - loads of sweet berries and some citrus. I really liked this one.

I've had the Original one a few times out of bottle and from draft. It needs time. I drank a half bottle last week and did not care for it. I waited a couple of days and came back to it, and was completely different - chocolate and excellent. I took a bottle to a party last night, and without any time, none of us cared for it. I would say hold onto the Originals.

The Coffee Barleywine is VERY coffee, IMO.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15766 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 3rd, 2018, 1:41 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 2:43 pm
Saw this (Modern Times Bedrock) on the shelf, had to pick-up as I could hear Bud whispering in my ear, “Andrew, it has coffee and coconut... and it’s Highly Recommended!”

Toffee-caramel color, with a nitro-head, clear coconut on the nose with light coffee on the back end. Nice stout, but man I’ve anchored on Barrel-aged beers, so it feels a bit on the lighter side.
I bought a 4 pack of this beer, primarily because the guy helping me at the MT location assured me it wasn't too strong on the coconut ... liar!! [diablo.gif]

Once I re-adjusted my expectations I found it tolerable, maybe even "likable," but -- really -- it's not my bag.

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15767 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 3rd, 2018, 1:44 am

Stone - FML Unfiltered IPA (surprisingly good for the price; will buy again)
El Segundo - Mayberry IPA
Fair State - Saison
Tilquin - Quetsche lambic (a couple different vintages, poured gratis by a bartender in D.C.. He got tipped very nicely)
Tilquin - Oude Gueuze (same DC bartender)
{various DC/VA brews}
Pizza Port - Swami's
Great Lakes - Edmund Fitzgerald Porter (best regular Porter in the USA, imo).

Dennis Atick

#15768 Post by Dennis Atick » December 3rd, 2018, 6:52 am

Tried some Beared Iris finally this weekend. They are now in the ATL market. I will give them props, some of the better hazy IPAs I've had not directly from the source (distributed out in cans to regional markets).
Tunnel Vision is excellent. Glad I can get them fairly regularly now.
@decaturwinedude

JeromeHan

#15769 Post by JeromeHan » December 3rd, 2018, 10:02 am

Would appreciate some input from the board here. I am running small beer tasting this week for a few friends (non-beer geeky). I plan on doing a style progression to show the variety beyond the macro styles. My plan was doing a pilsner/lagered style ale, then moving on to a saison, then westcoast vs NE style ipa, then maybe a porter, to a stout, then maybe a barrel aged stout. Thoughts? Am I missing something?

JeromeHan

#15770 Post by JeromeHan » December 3rd, 2018, 11:33 am

Here is the actual line-up I was considering. The two I am not certain of in terms of placement are the Duchesse De Bourgogne Flanders Red, and the Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half.

1. Hackensack Lager/Gun Hill Pilsner
2. Dupont Saison
3. Duchesse De Bourgogne
4. Carton Brewing Boat Beer (Session Ipa)
5. Sierre Nevada Pale Ale (The OG) vs Foreign Objects Saturn in Scorpio (Juice Bomb)
6. North Coast Brewing PranQster
7. Brasserie Des Rocs Grand Cru
8. Lost Abbey Serpent's Stout
9. Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half
10. CBS/BCBS

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15771 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 3rd, 2018, 11:47 am

Keep in mind, I haven't had most of these beers, so I'm going off Beer Style more than I am Actual Beer.

With that lineup, I'd be tempted to do the following:

2. Dupont Saison
3. North Coast Brewing PranQster
4. Brasserie Des Rocs Grand Cru
5. Duchesse De Bourgogne
6. Carton Brewing Boat Beer (Session Ipa)
7. Sierre Nevada Pale Ale (The OG) vs Foreign Objects Saturn in Scorpio (Juice Bomb)
10. CBS/BCBS

I'd keep the Pilsner, Saison, Golden Strong Ale, and Dark Strong Ale together because their flavor profiles are all more malt-driven. Frankly, starting with the Saison might be a good idea, depending on how malty the Pilsner and Lager are. The Duchesse is a dark sour, and will not only be a good transition from the Dark Strong Ale, but it will also operate as a palate re-set before getting into the beers with hop-driven flavor profiles. I think transitioning from IPA to Stout is perfectly fine (I do it frequently), hence ending with the Stouts. I have not had the Founders Curmudgeon's --- if it's fairly boozy, I'd consider placing that before the CBS, as I find the CBS pleasantly soft/approachable/not boozy for a BBAS. BCBS should definitely be last, unless it has lots of age.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15772 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 3rd, 2018, 2:40 pm

Mike Maguire wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 8:56 am
JeromeHan wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 11:16 pm
Mike Maguire wrote:
That’s a good point, balance was probably behind my reasoning. It is really good right out of the gate, especially With 15.2% abv
This thing is a beast out of the gates - a medium-bodied, super boozy chocolate bomb with light carbonation. Not sure I’d agree with thin, but it’s not motor oil like a KDS. Alcohol is so strong for me that it reminds me more of a Fifty Fifty Eclipse bottling than other BCBS releases I’ve had. I went and grabbed a chocolate chip cookie and I might have found a perfect pairing :)
Attachments
B5607548-C811-477F-B5FF-076358967BE6.jpeg

JeromeHan

#15773 Post by JeromeHan » December 3rd, 2018, 3:05 pm

December 3rd, 2018, 11:47 am
Keep in mind, I haven't had most of these beers, so I'm going off Beer Style more than I am Actual Beer.

I'd keep the Pilsner, Saison, Golden Strong Ale, and Dark Strong Ale together because their flavor profiles are all more malt-driven. Frankly, starting with the Saison might be a good idea, depending on how malty the Pilsner and Lager are. The Duchesse is a dark sour, and will not only be a good transition from the Dark Strong Ale, but it will also operate as a palate re-set before getting into the beers with hop-driven flavor profiles. I think transitioning from IPA to Stout is perfectly fine (I do it frequently), hence ending with the Stouts. I have not had the Founders Curmudgeon's --- if it's fairly boozy, I'd consider placing that before the CBS, as I find the CBS pleasantly soft/approachable/not boozy for a BBAS. BCBS should definitely be last, unless it has lots of age.
Interesting... Haven't thought about that. So you are going for kind of two different sets with the Flanders Sour in the middle service as a palate reset. The Founders is fairly boozy, almost 13abv I believe. I think it might work as a transition to the CBS as it is an English Old Ale finished in bourbon maple barrels too.

JeromeHan

#15774 Post by JeromeHan » December 3rd, 2018, 3:06 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 2:40 pm
This thing is a beast out of the gates - a medium-bodied, super boozy chocolate bomb with light carbonation. Not sure I’d agree with thin, but it’s not motor oil like a KDS. Alcohol is so strong for me that it reminds me more of a Fifty Fifty Eclipse bottling than other BCBS releases I’ve had. I went and grabbed a chocolate chip cookie and I might have found a perfect pairing :)
Let me rephrase, I'm not saying thin as an objective statement, I meant thin relative to last year's release.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15775 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 3rd, 2018, 3:20 pm

JeromeHan wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 3:05 pm
December 3rd, 2018, 11:47 am

Interesting... Haven't thought about that. So you are going for kind of two different sets with the Flanders Sour in the middle service as a palate reset. The Founders is fairly boozy, almost 13abv I believe. I think it might work as a transition to the CBS as it is an English Old Ale finished in bourbon maple barrels too.
I view groupings like this:

2. Dupont Saison

--- break

3. North Coast Brewing PranQster
4. Brasserie Des Rocs Grand Cru

--- break

5. Duchesse De Bourgogne

--- break

6. Carton Brewing Boat Beer (Session Ipa)
7. Sierre Nevada Pale Ale (The OG) vs Foreign Objects Saturn in Scorpio (Juice Bomb)

--- break

10. CBS/BCBS

Hearing that the Founders Curmudgeon is an English Old Ale makes me think it would be better placed after the Pranqster and Des Rocs, but before the Duchesse.

But, again, I cannot emphasize enough the fact that I have not tasted most of these beers. So, if you have, you're better off going with your thoughts than mine.

BRhoades

#15776 Post by BRhoades » December 5th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Liquid Flows 8.5% DIPA 100% Nelson Sauvin hopped. A couple months ago I reviewed Broadcasting Live, the 100% Nelson hopped DIPA that was absolutely amazing, probably the best Nelson hopped beer I've ever had. Well Saturday Henry unleashed this beast on the world. It's simply a DDH version of BL. So take all the gorgeous traits associated with BL and double them and you have Liquid Flows. Absolutely mind blowing, move over Broadcasting Live your big sibling just arrived. Can's only but at 4 4packs PP there is a lot of it in the trading community. If your a Nelson freek like I am, do anything you can to grab a can of this.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15777 Post by Scott Tallman » December 5th, 2018, 6:47 pm

BRhoades wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Liquid Flows 8.5% DIPA 100% Nelson Sauvin hopped. A couple months ago I reviewed Broadcasting Live, the 100% Nelson hopped DIPA that was absolutely amazing, probably the best Nelson hopped beer I've ever had. Well Saturday Henry unleashed this beast on the world. It's simply a DDH version of BL. So take all the gorgeous traits associated with BL and double them and you have Liquid Flows. Absolutely mind blowing, move over Broadcasting Live your big sibling just arrived. Can's only but at 4 4packs PP there is a lot of it in the trading community. If your a Nelson freek like I am, do anything you can to grab a can of this.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
The Masonry has this on tap last weekend for their Fremont location’s 1st anniversary. Unfortunately, keg was kicked by the time I arrived. Really wanted to try as love me some Nelson. Oh well
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15778 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 5th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Monkish on tap in Seattle? You kid.

Fort George Suicide Squeeze not living up to the Beer Advocate hype, imho. Scott, have you tried yet?

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15779 Post by Scott Tallman » December 5th, 2018, 7:31 pm

The Masonry has Monkish kegs and bottles/cans intermittently and at almost events.

Have not had any Ft George since the 3-Way. Suicide Squeeze is not new, so wonder why hype now?
CT - WestbyGod

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15780 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 5th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 7:31 pm
Have not had any Ft George since the 3-Way. Suicide Squeeze is not new, so wonder why hype now?
Special release with the record company. 4.2 rating, which is pretty high.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15781 Post by Mike Maguire » December 5th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 7:31 pm
The Masonry has Monkish kegs and bottles/cans intermittently and at almost events.

I’m with Scott, have had Monkish many times at the Masonry, though mostly in bottles. SS is not new either ,has been available since Spring.

JeromeHan

#15782 Post by JeromeHan » December 6th, 2018, 8:14 am

The tasting went surprising well and good times were had by all I believe. The Dupont Saison and CBS went over the best on the crowd while the Belgian Dark was the "what the heck" moment for most people as most didn't think it drank like a beer but almost more like a port (But I guess a 2013 belgian strong ale would do that).
Attachments
IMG_20181205_194753.jpg

BRhoades

#15783 Post by BRhoades » December 6th, 2018, 10:18 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 7:11 pm
Monkish on tap in Seattle? You kid.

Fort George Suicide Squeeze not living up to the Beer Advocate hype, imho. Scott, have you tried yet?
Monkish and The Masonry just did their second collaboration beer last week with " A fist Full of Meatballs" DIPA which is brewed with wheat and pizza wheat. The Masonry get's a pretty decent amount of Monkish beers.

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15784 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 6th, 2018, 11:48 am

I'm so eastside.

Now on my radar if I can get up the will to cross bridges and area codes.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15785 Post by Scott Tallman » December 6th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 11:48 am
I'm so eastside.

That is a daunting task with Seattle traffic these days. Do it on a weekend and bring the family. Eat great pizza and you can enjoy the beer.
CT - WestbyGod

BRhoades

#15786 Post by BRhoades » December 6th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 12:17 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
I'm so eastside.

That is a daunting task with Seattle traffic these days. Do it on a weekend and bring the family. Eat great pizza and you can enjoy the beer.
Scott, did you have an opportunity to taste any the Meatball collabs Masonry has done with Monkish ?, I know Henry had sent a keg or two of the 1st batch up your way.

Cheers,

Bud

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15787 Post by Scott Tallman » December 6th, 2018, 5:50 pm

BRhoades wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 5:28 pm
Scott Tallman wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 12:17 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
I'm so eastside.

Scott, did you have an opportunity to taste any the Meatball collabs Masonry has done with Monkish ?, I know Henry had sent a keg or two of the 1st batch up your way.

Cheers,

Bud
Yes, had multiple cans of the first batch released earlier this year. Had the second batch on draft at The Masonry last weekend. A very solid IPA, but I really wanted Liquid Flows.
CT - WestbyGod

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15788 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 6th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Bud, is the line for Monkish can releases still crazy AF?

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15789 Post by Scott Tallman » December 7th, 2018, 8:50 am

Enjoyed these beers last night with neighbors and a few Berserkers - Terrance C, Travis @llen, and Adam Noble.

CT - WestbyGod

BRhoades

#15790 Post by BRhoades » December 7th, 2018, 9:04 am

December 6th, 2018, 11:17 pm

The craziness has definitely subsided, remind you that I have only "intentionally" gone to two can releases and that was for both the 100% Nelson beers, the few other times I have gotten cans was being in the right place at the right time, I.E. dropping in on a Friday on my way back down from LA to get growler fills only to stumble onto a can release and having a client meeting next door on a couple other occasions. Monkish has also increased they're output big time so cans are lasting sometimes up to 4-5 hours. For the Liquid Flows release they had 360 cases available, the norm used to be 85-120 cases. Another improvement was having the can release pick up moved to the expansion space at the rear of the property so now they have up to 4 cashiers moving people through very quickly.

Cheers,

Bud

UPDATED : Brian, Monkish did a double can release today at 1PM, Life Is Foggier, DDH take on Life Is Foggy and Spock It. 150 cases of LIF and 64 cases of Spock it. At almost 6:30 PM there is still cans available. Go back a year or so and these two are sold out in under 2 hours.

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on December 7th, 2018, 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15791 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 7th, 2018, 9:32 am

@Scott - Killing me. Wish I could have made it. FWIW, I've got a dumptruck load of 2015 Stouts, including BCBS, Sump, Abraxas, KDS Coffee, Parabola, Mother of All Storms and Abyss :D

If you can plan for a weekend, I'm in.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15792 Post by Scott Tallman » December 7th, 2018, 10:00 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 9:32 am
@Scott - Killing me. Wish I could have made it. FWIW, I've got a dumptruck load of 2015 Stouts, including BCBS, Sump, Abraxas, KDS Coffee, Parabola, Mother of All Storms and Abyss :D

If you can plan for a weekend, I'm in.
Any Saturday afternoon works for me other than 12/29. I’ve got a few Anchorage BA stouts
CT - WestbyGod

Travis @llen

#15793 Post by Travis @llen » December 7th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Thanks Scott! That was great! Loved that Floodland ToL!
ITB

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15794 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 8th, 2018, 12:04 am

BRhoades wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 9:04 am
December 6th, 2018, 11:17 pm

The craziness has definitely subsided, remind you that I have only "intentionally" gone to two can releases and that was for both the 100% Nelson beers, the few other times I have gotten cans was being in the right place at the right time, I.E. dropping in on a Friday on my way back down from LA to get growler fills only to stumble onto a can release and having a client meeting next door on a couple other occasions. Monkish has also increased they're output big time so cans are lasting sometimes up to 4-5 hours. For the Liquid Flows release they had 360 cases available, the norm used to be 85-120 cases. Another improvement was having the can release pick up moved to the expansion space at the rear of the property so now they have up to 4 cashiers moving people through very quickly.

Cheers,

Bud

UPDATED : Brian, Monkish did a double can release today at 1PM, Life Is Foggier, DDH take on Life Is Foggy and Spock It. 150 cases of LIF and 64 cases of Spock it. At almost 6:30 PM there is still cans available. Go back a year or so and these two are sold out in under 2 hours.

Cheers,

Bud
This is all great news! I think I'll start paying attention to Monkish again. I've grown tired of the near-$30 growler prices; in the low $20s I'd suck it up because the beer is phenomenal. But with many growlers at $27 or $28(?) these days, I'd much rather have the same volume quantity, packaged better (4 x 16 oz cans), from any number of the other breweries who make their product available in stores without a line (MT; Mikkeller; BW; etc. etc. etc. ...). Straight up: Monkish is expensive. ... Buuuuuut, it's pretty damn good, so if I can stroll in and pick up some cans, I think I'll stop in more regularly like I used to. Having MT literally one block from my work, and WF literally across the street from my work, really changed my buying habits.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15795 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 8th, 2018, 12:05 am

Scott, how was that LambicXX? I've looked at that beer many times, but have never pulled the trigger.

JeromeHan

#15796 Post by JeromeHan » December 8th, 2018, 8:01 am

Wanted to see what all the fuss is about. Smells wonderful, but something about the carbonation and the hop bitterness gives it a thin mouthfeel.
Attachments
IMG_20181207_223316.jpg

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15797 Post by Scott Tallman » December 8th, 2018, 9:25 am

December 8th, 2018, 12:05 am
Scott, how was that LambicXX? I've looked at that beer many times, but have never pulled the trigger.
I had never heard of that lambic before. Terrence brought it and IIRC it was given to him by another Berserker. As for the lambic itself, I thought it was interesting, but nothing spectacular. I’d still much rather buy Cantillon, 3 Fonteinen or Boon lambic.
CT - WestbyGod

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15798 Post by Scott Tallman » December 8th, 2018, 9:35 am

Travis @llen wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 8:18 pm
Thanks Scott! That was great! Loved that Floodland ToL!
The Floodland Transmigration of Light was my BOTN. I would not pay the secondary market prices for it, but a damn good beer and I wish I’d bought more.

All the beers were good, but my other fav beers of night were the Arizona Wilderness Peach Sour, the Floodland passionfruit beer, the aged Westy XII (quadruples still aren’t my thing, but having tried an aged example I have better appreciation for the hype; I’d still take Westy 8 all day long), the Focal Banger IPA, and the Structures Juice on Juice IPA.
CT - WestbyGod

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15799 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 8th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 9:25 am
December 8th, 2018, 12:05 am
I had never heard of that lambic before. Terrence brought it and IIRC it was given to him by another Berserker. As for the lambic itself, I thought it was interesting, but nothing spectacular. I’d still much rather buy Cantillon, 3 Fonteinen or Boon lambic.
Cool. Thanks. Your conclusion is exactly the one I figured I was likely to arrive at.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”