What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Dennis Atick

#15251 Post by Dennis Atick » April 4th, 2018, 7:18 am

One of the more impressive first tastes of a new beer to me in some time, this Aslin Master of Oranges is the Treehouse killer I had been looking for. Amazing concentration and depth of citrus flavor wrapped by a blanket of creaminess. Beach House glass, best I could do. But damn fine beer. And Orange Starfish was great, too.
Attachments
20180401_173732 (1).jpg
@decaturwinedude

Dennis Atick

#15252 Post by Dennis Atick » April 4th, 2018, 7:19 am

WHY ARE MY PICS ALWAYS SIDEWAYS!?
@decaturwinedude

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15253 Post by Adam Noble » April 4th, 2018, 7:43 am

Scott Tallman wrote:Thus far in Belgium:

Westvletern 12 - my first time trying this revered beer. It was good, but not a fan of Quadrupels and this did not change my mind.

Westveletren Blonde - not a blonde fan generally, but this was nice

Westvleteren 8 - this was great and more my in my wheelhouse as I like Dubbels

Cantillon Rose Gambrinus - this is in my wheelhouse and still one of my favorite Cantillons

Westmalle Dubbel - enjoyed this per usual

Gruut Bruin - far from my favorite style of beer, but wanted to try something from this local Ghent brewery. Went well with mussels

Kwaremont Blonde - perfectly acceptable beer to drink a lot of while watching the Tour of Flanders in person

Also a few cheap and sweet krieks at the Tour of Flanders (meh!) and quite a few solid Tripels from De Dolle, De Halve Maan, Goliath and Brugge.
If you'd like to try the Westy 12 with some age on it, call me when you get home. It's a different experience.

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#15254 Post by Jorge Henriquez » April 4th, 2018, 8:08 am

Dennis Atick wrote:WHY ARE MY PICS ALWAYS SIDEWAYS!?
Dennis, rotate your pic 90 degrees in your phone and save it. Then rotate it again until it's back to the original "upright" position and save it again.

Then upload it to here.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Dennis Atick

#15255 Post by Dennis Atick » April 4th, 2018, 8:16 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
Dennis, rotate your pic 90 degrees in your phone and save it. Then rotate it again until it's back to the original "upright" position and save it again.

Then upload it to here.
What kind of people are running this place that I have to do so much work behind the scenes to get my pics to stand upright? I need to talk to the management. [snort.gif]
@decaturwinedude

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#15256 Post by Robert M yers » April 4th, 2018, 9:16 am

Good to see you found your Aslin and it lived up. That can reminds me of Hampton Coliseum.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15257 Post by Cris Whetstone » April 4th, 2018, 12:44 pm

How fast do you drink? [stirthepothal.gif]
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#15258 Post by Robert M yers » April 4th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Picked up KBS today and some fresh Zombie Dust. I don’t chase either anymore but fun to drink acoupl3 times a year.

Dennis Atick

#15259 Post by Dennis Atick » April 4th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Robert M yers wrote:Good to see you found your Aslin and it lived up. That can reminds me of Hampton Coliseum.
[cheers.gif]
@decaturwinedude

BRhoades

#15260 Post by BRhoades » April 5th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Revision Brewing Co. Battle Of The Lords DIPA.8.5% ABV. Hopped with Vic Secret and Galaxy hops.

Another stellar release from Revision with a killer hop combo. Pours a milky hazed orange color with a half inch of head. Aromatics of pineapple,sauvingnon blanc must, and orange. The Galaxy and Vic Secret combine to produce layers of flavors ranging from passion fruit, sweet ripe pineapple, mango, tangerine and a little lemon lime. There's a lovely beam of palate scraping red grapefruit pith that balances everything. BOTL's finishes really long with hint's of sweet berry at the end. As good if not better than any of the over hyped stand in line for hours NE styled beers.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on April 6th, 2018, 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It aint wine all the time

BRhoades

#15261 Post by BRhoades » April 6th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Movies Is Flicks, DIPA. 8.3% ABV. Hopped with Citra, El Dorado and Amarillo hops.

So, this is a complete 360 for Monkish. If your used to the super concentrated extracted fruit bombs your going to do a double take when you drink this new release. It's all in the hop bill. This recipe uses a boat load of El Dorado and Amarillo in addition to the Citra. The end result is a beer that pays homage to the OG West Coast styling of bitter grapefruit, pine resins and pithy citrus but has just enough of that Monkish swagger to remind us of its pedigree. Aromatically it's a nose that is slightly dank with citrus and floral notes. There is lots of sweet red grapefruit and more citrus on the palate that gets enhanced with a lovely hint of resiny pine. The beer is bone dry and crisp and totally crushable for 8.3%. I love the direction Monkish took on this beer with a hop and grain bill that is completely outside their lines. I'd love to see an IPA brewed in this manner at around 6.5% ABV for the warmer weather months that are approaching.

Highly Recommened,

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15262 Post by Andrew Kotowski » April 6th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote: One step forward, two steps back. Was under the impression this was the same as the other, but with cherries instead of raspberries. Much, much more of a sour.
Had another of these that was laying in the closet for a year (hence the 16/17 on the cork). Some of the tart/sour flavor had worn off, so it was tolerable. Went ok with a chicken falafel :)
Attachments
99C9559D-F086-42D5-B101-34BE32737CBD.jpeg
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.instagram.com/akgrill

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15263 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 8th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Pizza Port - "Bacon and Eggs" Imperial Coffee Porter

Bought a six-pack of 16 oz cans a few weeks ago. Special/limited release. I've previously had this at one of their outposts, but this is the first time I've seen it in cans. Ashley and I frequently split a Stout with weekend breakfast, and that's exactly what we've been doing with these. Very bitter. The coffee aspect is more coffee grounds than brewed coffee, but really this mostly just tastes like a big, bitter stout/porter. I like it, but don't love it.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15264 Post by Brian Lynch » April 10th, 2018, 2:52 am

Other Half
Go With the Flow

Crushable DDH IPA
Attachments
A72F1772-E158-4CC0-AC8C-ADA468338E5F.jpeg
Howlin' Wolf (1910 - 1976)

Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15265 Post by Brian Lynch » April 10th, 2018, 2:56 am

Masters Weekend Highlights
Attachments
A94DE0DD-823A-4589-B250-6EF65D5A468F.jpeg

Scott Tallman

#15266 Post by Scott Tallman » April 10th, 2018, 9:07 am

During rest of my Belgium trip, drank mostly lambics and fruited lambics.

At Moeder Lambic, had bottles of Cantillon Fou Foune 2017 and St Lamvinus Grand Cru 2016 and quite a few drafts of Tilquin and Cantillon Gueze, Cantillon Kriek and Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus.

Highlight was visiting Cantillon. Toured the brewery and spent a few hours drinking bottles of Vigneronne 2017, Carignan 2017, and Fou Foune 2017. I’ve had Vigneronne and Fou Foune in the past and really enjoyed these bottles, but the Carignan was new to me and I loved it! Plenty of other great bottles for on-site consumption, but my wife was not providing me enough help to order more.

Sadly they were only selling bottles of Gueze, Kriek and Rose. Otherwise, would have bought all the Carignan I could buy.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

BRhoades

#15267 Post by BRhoades » April 10th, 2018, 6:44 pm

Hey, did any of you Seattle area beerserkers hit up Farmhouse Fest last week at The Masonry ? I know Monkish brought up some big guns for the event.

Cheers,

Bud

Scott Tallman

#15268 Post by Scott Tallman » April 11th, 2018, 4:41 am

BRhoades wrote:Hey, did any of you Seattle area beerserkers hit up Farmhouse Fest last week at The Masonry ? I know Monkish brought up some big guns for the event.

Cheers,

Bud
I was out of town or would have attended. For me, it’s not as good as the Portland Farmhouse Fest, but does include breweries from outside the NW, like Monkish.
CT - WestbyGod

JeromeHan

#15269 Post by JeromeHan » April 11th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Interesting Small Batch IPA from Platform Beer.

Simcoe, HBC 438, and Michigan Chinook Hops.

6.8% ABV @ 46 IBU.
Not mindblowing, but enjoyable.
Attachments
IMG_20180409_223829.jpg

c_choi_

#15270 Post by c_choi_ » April 11th, 2018, 5:47 pm

BRhoades wrote:Hey, did any of you Seattle area beerserkers hit up Farmhouse Fest last week at The Masonry ? I know Monkish brought up some big guns for the event.

Cheers,

Bud
The tap list didn't look that great and the tickets are really expensive considering.
Chr|s Ch0|

Dennis Atick

#15271 Post by Dennis Atick » April 12th, 2018, 4:52 pm

These Aslin Beers are killing me. Double Orange Starfish...Super creamy, juicy citrus and tropical fruit notes. So smooth and balanced.
Attachments
IMG_20180412_190227_256.jpg
@decaturwinedude

BRhoades

#15272 Post by BRhoades » April 12th, 2018, 6:10 pm

Dennis Atick wrote:These Aslin Beers are killing me. Double Orange Starfish...Super creamy, juicy citrus and tropical fruit notes. So smooth and balanced.
Dennis, they're slaying the style. Had this at our Masters Sunday can/bottle orgy. If your getting this on the regular your doing very well.

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#15273 Post by BRhoades » April 12th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Relax Your Mind. DIPA.8.5% ABV. Hopped with Galaxy, Nelson and Simcoe. Making its return for growler only fills this time around is one of Monkish's most beloved DIPAs. Pours a darker orange color with an inch of tight packed bubbles. Aromatics of tropical fruits and very ripe peach. This hop trilogy creates a palate thats shows super ripe tropical fruits, stone fruits, and that wonderful earthy suav blanc must from the Nelson. What really sets the flavor profile apart from the usual fruit bomb is a wonderful creamy smooth Orange Julius smack mid-palate. Even at 8.5% this beer is a crusher, it finishes long juicy and bone dry. On for fills at the brewery now at 4pp per day.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Dennis Atick

#15274 Post by Dennis Atick » April 13th, 2018, 3:07 am

BRhoades wrote:
Dennis Atick wrote:These Aslin Beers are killing me. Double Orange Starfish...Super creamy, juicy citrus and tropical fruit notes. So smooth and balanced.
Dennis, they're slaying the style. Had this at our Masters Sunday can/bottle orgy. If your getting this on the regular your doing very well.

Cheers,

Bud
I wish it was on the regular, but I am trying!
[cheers.gif]
@decaturwinedude

BRhoades

#15275 Post by BRhoades » April 13th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Biggie, Biggie, Biggie, TIPA. 10.1% ABV. Hopped with Galaxy and El Dorado hops.

I missed out on this release last year and regrettably heard nothing but superlatives about this TIPA. What I found extremely attractive about this beer is that it's a DDH TIPA with a hop combo not often used in collaboration with such a massively high ABV beer that reportedly drank like a double IPA. Now I get to taste for myself. First lets look at the pour, a gorgeous bright orange hue with a very respectable inch of very thick creamy head that is not often seen on a beer with this high of ABV, it does not dissipate quickly. The aromatics at this young stage, I am sacrificing a baby at two days young, are of intense stone fruits, mostly super ripe apricot. There are whiffs of candied orange, pineapple and peach, but zero booze to be detected. The flavor's are ripe stone fruits and very ripe honey dew melon. The initial hit is that ripe apricot, then mid palate it transitions to those ripe melons, more seat candied stone fruit and then a wash of sweet oranges. I cannot pick up any alcohol at all. it's amazing that a TIPA can be this balanced and easy drinking. With Monkish triples I always crack one early to set a gauge to monitor it's development, at this early stage this is one of the best TIPAs I've had the pleasure to drink. Cant wait to see how this develops over the course of the next 4 weeks.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on April 14th, 2018, 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#15276 Post by Robert M yers » April 13th, 2018, 9:09 pm

7FE98605-D30E-4ADC-9194-0140AA331928.jpeg
De Struise Blue Monk 2013 - Belgium quad aged 3 years in chateau Margaux barrels.

Edit for back to picture school

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15277 Post by Andrew Kotowski » April 14th, 2018, 4:59 am

Last one. My poor dad, a lifetime “banquet beer” drinker, said it tasted like piss.

Have to agree. Not a fan, but I’ll keep my eyes open for the raspberry ;)
Attachments
7B16D0A3-4856-492D-A7F0-7AB30769F342.jpeg
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.instagram.com/akgrill

Scott Tallman

#15278 Post by Scott Tallman » April 15th, 2018, 10:39 am

For National Saison Day yesterday:

Floodland Brewing Grails & Waysigns Saison - a delicious and easy drinking Saison. At 4.9% abv, easy to drink all day long.

Upright Brewing Pathways Saison - a blend of different Saison vintages. Super complex with layers and layers of flavor and a long finish. Love Upright, and this is the best beer I’ve had from them yet. One of the best Saisons I’ve had, ever.
CT - WestbyGod

Scott Tallman

#15279 Post by Scott Tallman » April 15th, 2018, 10:41 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:Last one. My poor dad, a lifetime “banquet beer” drinker, said it tasted like piss.

Have to agree. Not a fan, but I’ll keep my eyes open for the raspberry ;)
I think drinking all those piney & bitter NW IPAs and OTT BBA stouts blew out your palate. [snort.gif]
CT - WestbyGod

BRhoades

#15280 Post by BRhoades » April 18th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Lagunitas Brewing Co. The Waldos' Special Ale. 2018 Vintage, 11.3% ABV. No hops listed as usual.

It's that time of year and to celebrate 4-20 Lagunitas drops it's ode for the hunt of the great weed patch in this chronic TIPA. This years vintage is a bit lighter on the ABV, down to 11.3% hahahaha. Waldo pours a hazy sunset orange color with a wispy white head that disappears fast. The aromatics show super ripe tropical, stone and citrus fruits with a massive dank weedy herbal background, insane nose. Flavors follow the nose with the additions of pithy red grapefruit and tangerines that bitter out the sweet tropical fruits and keep this beast in balance. The mouth is full and coating, but it finishes bone dry with a bitter citrus bite. The brilliant balancing of all the moving parts creates a beer that makes it hard to find the 11.3%. This really is the epitome of the massive high IBU assault on your grill west coast IPAs of years gone bye. So much fun, proceed with caution.

Cheers,

Bud

John Draper

#15281 Post by John Draper » April 19th, 2018, 3:00 pm

BRhoades wrote:Image

Lagunitas Brewing Co. The Waldos' Special Ale. 2018 Vintage, 11.3% ABV. No hops listed as usual.

It's that time of year and to celebrate 4-20 Lagunitas drops it's ode for the hunt of the great weed patch in this chronic TIPA. This years vintage is a bit lighter on the ABV, down to 11.3% hahahaha. Waldo pours a hazy sunset orange color with a wispy white head that disappears fast. The aromatics show super ripe tropical, stone and citrus fruits with a massive dank weedy herbal background, insane nose. Flavors follow the nose with the additions of pithy red grapefruit and tangerines that bitter out the sweet tropical fruits and keep this beast in balance. The mouth is full and coating, but it finishes bone dry with a bitter citrus bite. The brilliant balancing of all the moving parts creates a beer that makes it hard to find the 11.3%. This really is the epitome of the massive high IBU assault on your grill west coast IPAs of years gone bye. So much fun, proceed with caution.

Cheers,

Bud
Bud, I think you're spot on. This bottling recently appeared in the Denver market. I was reluctant to buy a full 6er when I saw 11.3% as I feared a malty, hot mess. I purchased a single bottle in the name of science. Huge nose of papaya and sweet clementine with some of the tropical notes carrying through on the palate and, as you note, a massive dank factor but all of the notes are harmonious. No hint of heat and I would never have guessed 11.3 ABV. I rolled back to my local bottle shop the next day and grabbed a six!
liberstein

BRhoades

#15282 Post by BRhoades » April 19th, 2018, 6:29 pm

John Draper wrote:
BRhoades wrote:Image

Cheers,

Bud
Bud, I think you're spot on. This bottling recently appeared in the Denver market. I was reluctant to buy a full 6er when I saw 11.3% as I feared a malty, hot mess. I purchased a single bottle in the name of science. Huge nose of papaya and sweet clementine with some of the tropical notes carrying through on the palate and, as you note, a massive dank factor but all of the notes are harmonious. No hint of heat and I would never have guessed 11.3 ABV. I rolled back to my local bottle shop the next day and grabbed a six!
Pretty crazy stuff huh ? IMHO this is the best batch they have brewed and I'm going back to when it was tap only 4-20. Remarkably light on its feet yet so massively dank and juicy.

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15283 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 21st, 2018, 8:49 pm

All from Beachwood:
Pablo Escobeer Columbian Coffee Porter on nitro (Portola Columbian coffee)
Murkish NEIPA
Amalgamator IPA

all were excellent.

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Scott Tallman

#15284 Post by Scott Tallman » April 21st, 2018, 9:14 pm

Some recents:

Heater Allen Schwarz - always look forward to this beer, one of my fav HA beers
Heater Allen Dunkel - a perfect beer for a cold spring day
Georgetown Lucille IPA - this was always one of the few PNW IPAs (non-hazy that is) that I enjoyed. Either this was an off batch or can or my palate has changed as I did not care for this
Cantillon Gueze - same deliciousness as it ever was
Mahr’s Bräu Pilsner - so good on draft!
CT - WestbyGod

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15285 Post by PaulMills » April 22nd, 2018, 1:43 pm

I opened a Weyerhaeuser Insanity and after taking two sips, poured it down the drain. I have liked this in the past but this was not good. It was about a year old and stored in the cellar. At ~11%, it should have been fine.

I then went to a Bells Mars, one of my favorite high gravity IPAs. Very tasty.

Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15286 Post by Brian Lynch » April 22nd, 2018, 8:33 pm

PaulMills wrote:I opened a Weyerhaeuser Insanity and after taking two sips, poured it down the drain. I have liked this in the past but this was not good.
Too much pulp?

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15287 Post by PaulMills » April 23rd, 2018, 3:43 am

I did not notice the pulp until I was rinsing the glass, it was just the flavor that was not satisfying.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15288 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » April 23rd, 2018, 6:40 am

Been up in Yachats, OR past three days so lots of time at Yachats Brewing & Farmstore.

Beer and food so onpoint, like pFriem Family was before the menu got conventional. Place is super cool vibe, brunch on Sundays too.

Ten Mile Saison and the dry-hopped version both make the journey worthwhile.

http://yachatsbrewing.com
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

BRhoades

#15289 Post by BRhoades » April 24th, 2018, 5:54 pm

riip Beer Co. Hazy Hayes. NE styled IPA. 7.0% ABV. Hopped with Citra and Mosaic hops. Home brewer Jamie Hayes won the 2018 Orange County Mash-Up competition with this beer, hence the name. Hearing great things about this IPA I looked at Untappd and saw the 4.36 average score so I decided to put the top down and cruise a couple miles down PCH to see what the buzz was all about. HH pours a murky orange color with a nice rocky khaki white cap. I could smell this the second I cracked open the crowler, amazing aromatics of ripe tropical fruits, citrus and that musky berry thing from the Mosaic. Flavors pretty much follow the nose, rich complex layers of tropical as well as ripe stone fruits up front, I get lots of apricot notes on this. There is the orange and grapefruit from the Citra that hit mid palate. The body is medium light in weight and finishes bone dry and very long with a nice hit of bitter citrus at the very back end. An amazing beer from a very talented home brewer who has a very bright future if he keeps this up.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15290 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 24th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Thanks for posting about that one, Bud. I'd never heard of riip. Took a look at their website --- ballsy operation!

BRhoades

#15291 Post by BRhoades » April 25th, 2018, 7:31 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:Thanks for posting about that one, Bud. I'd never heard of riip. Took a look at their website --- ballsy operation!
Home growler deliveries in an old Helms Bakery truck.........come on MAN........

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#15292 Post by BRhoades » April 26th, 2018, 5:56 pm

riip Beer Co. Stir Hazy, IPA. 7% ABV. Hopped with all New Zealand hop varieties, Nelson, Galaxy, Motueka and Pacifica hops.

This has been an excellent week for tiny riip Beer Co. First they brew a magnificent IPA from the Orange County Mash Up home brew competition winner Jamie Hayes with Hazy Hayes then new head brewer Ian McCall blows the doors open with his first NE styled IPA with Stir Crazy. Just from the appearance you know its a different game, it has that Tree House, Monkish, Trillium milky yellowish orange color. The nose on this is crazy, the four different southern hemi hops creates a nose that runs from tropical, stone, citrus and those vineous white wine notes. It smells dank, earthy, and incredibly juicy and sweet. Flavors are layered and complex. The initial hit is of sweet ripe tropical pineapple and summer peaches before it transitions to waves of citrus, both pulpy sweet and pithy bitter that balances it all out. The back end shows dank green herbaceous notes before finishing long and bitter sweet. Stir Crazy is in THAT league. I am really excited to see what is next with an obviously super talented new brew master taking the helms of this little seaside gem just off PCH in Huntington Beach. And FWIW, a growler of this world class elixir is $20 !

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on April 26th, 2018, 6:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Scott Tallman

#15293 Post by Scott Tallman » April 26th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Walked the dog last night by Fremont Brewing. My lack of interest in my neighborhood brewery is disappointing, but based on Bud’s note about Head Full of Dynamite hazy IPA, decided to pop in and try it on a sunny, beautiful day. Unfortunately it has the astringency I find in all their hoppy beers for the past few years that is a real turn off.

At least my dog enjoyed all the attention and played with a few dogs.
CT - WestbyGod

BRhoades

#15294 Post by BRhoades » April 26th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:Walked the dog last night by Fremont Brewing. My lack of interest in my neighborhood brewery is disappointing, but based on Bud’s note about Head Full of Dynamite hazy IPA, decided to pop in and try it on a sunny, beautiful day. Unfortunately it has the astringency I find in all their hoppy beers for the past few years that is a real turn off.

Well dang it man ! I did recall in my TN's a very astringent pithy bitterness that ran throughout the beer, however for some it's a major turn off and for some it's a welcome bitter punch to the grill piece that reminds one of those classic OG west coast hop monsters that could strip the enamel off of ones teeth. [wow.gif]

Cheers,

Bud

Scott Tallman

#15295 Post by Scott Tallman » April 26th, 2018, 7:46 pm

BRhoades wrote:
Scott Tallman wrote:Walked the dog last night by Fremont Brewing. My lack of interest in my neighborhood brewery is disappointing, but based on Bud’s note about Head Full of Dynamite hazy IPA, decided to pop in and try it on a sunny, beautiful day. Unfortunately it has the astringency I find in all their hoppy beers for the past few years that is a real turn off.

Well dang it man ! I did recall in my TN's a very astringent pithy bitterness that ran throughout the beer, however for some it's a major turn off and for some it's a welcome bitter punch to the grill piece that reminds one of those classic OG west coast hop monsters that could strip the enamel off of ones teeth. [wow.gif]

Cheers,

Bud
Different strokes. But my disinterest is irrelevant as that place is always packed and has a lot of fans in WA state.
CT - WestbyGod

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15296 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 26th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Brouwerij West - "Ask the Dust" NEIPA

Third time brewed. Second time in cans. Soooooooo damn good! Definitely in the running for, if not winning, my all-time favorite hazy. Bought 5 four-packs, and am already starting to regret not buying more.

Jason Hagen

#15297 Post by Jason Hagen » April 27th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Stereo Brewing - Cherry Cherry. So great. Their Blonde on Blonde Kolsch with bing cherries.

Jason

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15298 Post by AlexS » April 28th, 2018, 4:02 pm

New Glarus -- Spotted Cow Grand Cru

YUM
s t e w @ r t

BRhoades

#15299 Post by BRhoades » April 28th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Even More Props And Stunts. DDH 100% Mosaic DIPA. 8.4% ABV.

Straight out of the gate, this is the best 100% Mosaic beer I've ever had. Often when describing Mosaic hops you will hear it has Blueberry profiles, both aromatically and flavor driven. When I opened this I could not believe the overwhelming scent of sweet ripe blueberry throughout our kitchen, I had to stick my fat schnoz in the glass again to make sure I was smelling what I was. That blueberry carries throughout the palate as well as sweet citrus and ripe melons. The body is soft and creamy, at 8.4% you think your drinking a 6% IPA, absolute brilliant craftsmanship on every level.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#15300 Post by BRhoades » April 30th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Modern Times Beer. DDH Orderville IPA.7.2% ABV. Hopped with Mosaic,Simcoe, Ekuanot, Experimental hop 7270 Eureka and Nugget.

As a big fan of their standard year round Orderville I was stoked to hear they were going to play around with the base beer and do a DDH version as a on-line April special release. DDH Orderville is a completely different beast and it shows the minute you pop the top, the aromatics are insane, this is a dank hoppy smelling fruit bomb. The complex layers of flavors from the potpourri of hops show sweet ripe mango, papaya, apricots, very ripe pineapple, sweet tangerines, casaba melon, even a floral like wisp of sweet summer strawberries. There is a lot going on in this from the nose through the palate, it's a brilliant revision on an already classic IPA. You'll find zero bitterness or booze on a medium soft body, I was told that this is actually closer to a triple dry hopped beer from the amount of hops they used in creating this. DDH Orderville finishes long and juicy. There are a limited amount of cans available at most MT locations if you missed out on the on-line sale.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Return to “Beer and Spirits”