What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15001 Post by fred o. » December 18th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
fred o. wrote:
Scott Tallman wrote: This was on tap at a craft beer bar in Seattle. I’m all in on the hazy ipa craze, but to my dismay I did not enjoy it at all.
Scott, where was Monkish on tap? I thought it was a Monkish policy to not have it on tap at any restaurants/brewpubs, the only place to get it legit is at the taproom itself in Torrance. Would be cool to find out otherwise, though.

Btw, had Xylophone Tones via growler recently, it was delightful. Just as Bud described, juicy and richly fruit but impeccably balanced. The "other side of the table" loved it, will be seeking out other growler fills in the future for sure.
At a craft beer/wood fired pizza place called The Masonry here in Seattle. I’m not aware of any policy on Monkish kegs, but I’ve seen their stuff on tap around Seattle in the past at The Masonry and Slow Boat Tavern, but very infrequently and always the farmhouse stuff. This was the first time I’d seen a hoppy beer on tap.
thanks Scott. Looked it up and looks like the people at Masonry may be friends with the people from Monkish, which makes sense. Jealous all the same since I haven't seen Monkish on tap in the LA area :p, though I can't complain I guess since it's still pretty close. Hope you can try another IPA of theirs that's better, since we've really enjoyed their IPAs a lot more than we expected.

BRhoades

#15002 Post by BRhoades » December 19th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Fred, Beachwood gets an occasional keg from time to time. When Brian and I were at Monkish Friday night I did ask their GM about barrel account's up in the PNW, he said they will send a keg up every once in awhile and The Masonry is one of those that do get Monkish beers.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

Scott Tallman

#15003 Post by Scott Tallman » December 19th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Will always try a Monkish if I find it on tap around town. I believe The Masonry has some Monkish bottles for sale for on-site consumption.

For those in Seattle or that visit and like craft beer, The Masonry (especially the new, much bigger Fremont location) is a place you must visit.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15004 Post by John Glas » December 19th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Summit EPA

Jason Hagen

#15005 Post by Jason Hagen » December 20th, 2017, 10:25 am

A few things:

Mikkeller - Raspberry Blush - Meh at best.

Bottle Logic - 2017 Fundamental Observation - In small doses, this is very impressive.

Bottle Logic - Arc Jet - Good stuff.

Bottle Logic - Cobaltic Porter - Good stuff.

Also paid a visit to a new brewery that is right down the street. All-American Ale Works. Very nice folks but unfortunately I found almost all of their beers undrinkable. I think I tried 8.

Jason

BRhoades

#15006 Post by BRhoades » December 20th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Off Shoot Brewing Co. Hold My Beer, IPA 6.8% ABV. Hopped with Citra,Simcoe,Motueka and Golden Promise hops.
Off Shoot is really dialing in this style and each release shows tremendous progress in developing their own unique style. This pours a familiar milky yellowish haze with a inch of soft pillowy head. Nose is candied tropical fruits. Flavors veer toward sweet stone and tropical notes. Medium to medium soft body, finishes dry juicy sweet and very long. Available only via online sale last week. Keep an eye on these guys in 18', and sign up for their beers, no line no hassle no FOMO, just really good beers.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15007 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 20th, 2017, 10:05 pm

had to google FOMO. You're such a hipster, Bud. neener
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15008 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 21st, 2017, 8:58 am

The other 2017 Fremont KDS Coffee Edition I smuggled home in my luggage.

There really is a ton of coffee in this thing. Much less chocolate, oaky goodness than I remember in previous vintages (I've had several each of the last 6 or 7) and just a lot of coffee (bitter and a bit blunt). In the past, the coffee mellows out, so in this case I'd really recommend sitting on this if you have any. It's always been my favorite coffee-stout, usually just ahead of the Perennial Sump.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

BRhoades

#15009 Post by BRhoades » December 21st, 2017, 12:16 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:had to google FOMO. You're such a hipster, Bud. neener

Yea right............ [wow.gif]

Cheers,

Bud

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15010 Post by Adam Noble » December 21st, 2017, 2:34 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:The other 2017 Fremont KDS Coffee Edition I smuggled home in my luggage.

There really is a ton of coffee in this thing. Much less chocolate, oaky goodness than I remember in previous vintages (I've had several each of the last 6 or 7) and just a lot of coffee (bitter and a bit blunt). In the past, the coffee mellows out, so in this case I'd really recommend sitting on this if you have any. It's always been my favorite coffee-stout, usually just ahead of the Perennial Sump.
I liked this beer. And didn't not like the Spice Wars version-too much competing spice that overwhelmed a good bba stout.

Scott Tallman

#15011 Post by Scott Tallman » December 21st, 2017, 2:52 pm

Adam Noble wrote:
Andrew Kotowski wrote:The other 2017 Fremont KDS Coffee Edition I smuggled home in my luggage.

I liked this beer. And didn't not like the Spice Wars version-too much competing spice that overwhelmed a good bba stout.
Spice Wars is awful IMO. I’ve always wondered who enjoys that beer so much that they keep making it.
CT - WestbyGod

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15012 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 21st, 2017, 10:23 pm

+1 on Spice Wars - nutmeg and cinnamon work in my eggnog, but a bit sketchy in my beer.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15013 Post by brigcampbell » December 22nd, 2017, 11:54 am

Add strong clove to the list of turnoffs for me.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15014 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 29th, 2017, 12:59 am

Brouwerij West - "Picnic Lightning" IPA

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15015 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » December 29th, 2017, 5:24 am

Stopped at Great Notion yesterday, place was jammed packed at 2 PM. Had 5-6 different beers with my wife and best were Juice Jr & Super Over Ripe.

Sadly we both had pretty bad allergy attacks afterward and we don't know whether we attribute that to the beer or the food we shared.

We did take two crowlers of Juice Jr home so we will at least try just the beer again.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15016 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » December 29th, 2017, 4:04 pm

pFriem Family today. Juicy Winter Ale right there with Juice Jr. Both fantastic.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

BRhoades

#15017 Post by BRhoades » December 29th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Brouwerij West, Alligator IPA, 6.5% ABV. Hopped with Amarillo and Simcoe hops. These guys are just killing it now and this new release position's them in the very top tier of NE styled IPAs. Alligator Pours a really nice lite yellow orange with a bright white densely packed head. The nose is super fragrant that smells of floral citrus and earthy herbaceous dankness. The flavor profile shows pineapple, sweet tangerine's and lots of ripe stone fruits. Alligator is layered and complex, all these layers of flavors are carried on a super soft creamy body. It finishes dry and bitter sweet. The can art label was done again by local artist Yu Maeda. If your a fan of these juicy NE styled IPAs/DIPAs pay attention to BW in the coming year. They don't play to the over hyped FOMO crowd like Monkish or Noble do, none of that nonsense, and you can buy their cans at most really good bottle shops or at the brewery without the lines and general bull shit that surrounds those other guys can releases.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15018 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » December 30th, 2017, 11:58 am

Just sat at Ex Novo, damn this is great beer.

Mike Cohen

#15019 Post by Mike Cohen » December 30th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Just came back from Northern Vermont with a trunkful of beer. I find myself gravitating towards the lower alcohol beers. Loved Frost's Really Pale Ale. Upper Pass First Drop really does it for me too. Of course Hillfarmstead's Edward and Susan are always winners. Also loved Burlington Beer Company's Elaborate Metaphor.

BRhoades

#15020 Post by BRhoades » December 30th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Zoom In To The Zenith. DIPA, 8% ABV. Hopped with Citra and Motueka hops. The last release of 2017 just happens to be one of their best from a wildly successful year. Zoom pours a beautiful hazy sunset orange with a fluffy bright white cap. The aroma is intense, lots of orange and grapefruit scents with an herbaceous green hoppy blast. Flavor profile is a straight citrus assault, oranges of every type, sweet red grapefruits, over ripe pineapples, some white peach and even a noticeable smack of juicy sweet papaya all come together seamlessly on a medium soft body that finishes very long dry and juicy as can be.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Jason Hagen

#15021 Post by Jason Hagen » December 31st, 2017, 9:59 am

Met a friend at a place that is under new ownership. Strong beer list but .... I ordered a Duet and it was downright gross. Duet has been hit and miss but this was the worst I have had. So I take that back and see an Almanac beer. I ask what it is. The bartender says, "It's a specialty beer" :-) I taste it and it was 100% flat. She says, "that is because it is in a taster". Okay, moving on, I get Barley Forge's - The Patsy. Strong beer if you enjoy coconut.

Jason

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15022 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 5th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Urban South - "Holy Roller" IPA (out of New Orleans)
Hazy; juicy; delicious. hopped with Citra and Mosaic.

BRhoades

#15023 Post by BRhoades » January 6th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Stampede The Globe. DIPA. 8.3% ABV Hopped with 100% Citra hops. Another previously can only release made available for growler fills. Crazy aromatics, candied pineapple and tangerine's. Flavors follow suite, sweet orange, ripe tropicals, just dripping with sweet juice.This has an amazing sweet candied fruit note that carries through the palate. Body is medium soft, it has a wonderful bitter green hopped bite at the back end. If you love Citra you'll love this one.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#15024 Post by c fu » January 6th, 2018, 11:29 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Stopped at Great Notion yesterday, place was jammed packed at 2 PM. Had 5-6 different beers with my wife and best were Juice Jr & Super Over Ripe.

Sadly we both had pretty bad allergy attacks afterward and we don't know whether we attribute that to the beer or the food we shared.

We did take two crowlers of Juice Jr home so we will at least try just the beer again.
That place has so much dust + vegetation. It's an allergy factory for me. lol
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

BRhoades

#15025 Post by BRhoades » January 7th, 2018, 10:50 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:Urban South - "Holy Roller" IPA (out of New Orleans)
Hazy; juicy; delicious. hopped with Citra and Mosaic.
Brian, if your still in the big easy make sure to check out Parish Brewing,they are brewing some insane stuff. Grab a bottle or two of their DDH Ghost In The Machine. Trust me [cheers.gif]

Cheers,

Bud

Scott Tallman

#15026 Post by Scott Tallman » January 7th, 2018, 11:34 am

c fu wrote:
Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Stopped at Great Notion yesterday, place was jammed packed at 2 PM. Had 5-6 different beers with my wife and best were Juice Jr & Super Over Ripe.

That place has so much dust + vegetation. It's an allergy factory for me. lol
It’s never bothered me, nor have I noticed it. Good news for you is they are opening a second location later this year that is new construction, so should be devoid of the things that trigger your allergies.
CT - WestbyGod

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15027 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 8th, 2018, 9:30 pm

R.I.P. Swami's?

I've recently been through two six-packs with different canning dates, and both aren't even a shell of what Swami's normally is. Both Ashley and I were seriously left wondering if the correct beer made its way into the cans. Tasted like a malty IPA. I'm worried enough that I'm going to call Pizza Port about this. I fear this beer may suddenly be dead to me. [cry.gif]

BRhoades

#15028 Post by BRhoades » January 9th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:R.I.P. Swami's?

I've recently been through two six-packs with different canning dates, and both aren't even a shell of what Swami's normally is. Both Ashley and I were seriously left wondering if the correct beer made its way into the cans. Tasted like a malty IPA. I'm worried enough that I'm going to call Pizza Port about this. I fear this beer may suddenly be dead to me. [cry.gif]
Palate shift ?

Cheers,

Bud

Joe Hauck

#15029 Post by Joe Hauck » January 9th, 2018, 6:16 pm

BRhoades wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:R.I.P. Swami's?

Palate shift ?

Cheers,

Bud

That's what I was thinking. NE Haze will do that.
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15030 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 9th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Highly doubt it. Both Ashley and I had the same independent thought. Other West Coast IPAs still taste normal to me.

I emailed Pizza Port about it last night. I asked if the "Swami's '92" they currently have on tap at Solana Beach made its way into the cans and/or if they've changed the recipe recently. no response yet.

Mel Hill

#15031 Post by Mel Hill » January 10th, 2018, 5:05 pm

832027F3-2219-49A3-9D03-EE738691A2E7.jpeg
832027F3-2219-49A3-9D03-EE738691A2E7.jpeg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 808 times
WeldWerks Juicy Bits
delivered as promised!
glad to hear that this is going to be their main beer for canning.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15032 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 11th, 2018, 5:35 pm

I spoke to a brewer at Pizza Port - Solana Beach today. He said the Swami's recipe hasn't changed, and surmised that a bad batch, or bad storage conditions, were at play. They could have been heat damaged, but I got them at WF, and they tend to be pretty good from what I can tell. They weren't too old. I dunno. I'll check back in. I *really* hope this isn't palate change --- if it is, then I need to lay off the NE IPAs because I don't want those ruining my beloved West Coasters.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#15033 Post by c fu » January 12th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:I spoke to a brewer at Pizza Port - Solana Beach today. He said the Swami's recipe hasn't changed, and surmised that a bad batch, or bad storage conditions, were at play. They could have been heat damaged, but I got them at WF, and they tend to be pretty good from what I can tell. They weren't too old. I dunno. I'll check back in. I *really* hope this isn't palate change --- if it is, then I need to lay off the NE IPAs because I don't want those ruining my beloved West Coasters.
Your palate just isn’t used to the extra bitter hop bombs anymore. Like going back to a high octane Cali cab
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15034 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 12th, 2018, 4:18 pm

That's a possibility. Except it tasted really malty, as opposed to very hoppy. Oh well. I'll try again in the near future. Tonight, however, will be Monkish.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15035 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 12th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Monkish- Water Baloon Fight Club DIPA.

Matthew Brown

#15036 Post by Matthew Brown » January 13th, 2018, 6:09 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:That's a possibility. Except it tasted really malty, as opposed to very hoppy. Oh well. I'll try again in the near future. Tonight, however, will be Monkish.
The malt bill for the NE IPAs is more different than we realize since a lot of the weight and body comes from the unfiltered bits left behind. A lot less barley
The Chav who mostly isn't.

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15037 Post by PaulMills » January 14th, 2018, 4:37 pm

Just enjoyed what I think is my last Bells Saturn. Brewed in oak bourbon barrel casks, 11.5%, 4/3/2015. Most excellent.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#15038 Post by c fu » January 14th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Sunset beer co had The Florida Psuedo Sue and the Toppling Goliath Mosaic Psuedo sue in stock. Tried them side by side. THey don't even look the same let alone taste the same. Another example of a brewery selling their name to make money. Was hoping Florida would have it dialed in now that distro has reached the west coast. Nope
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

BRhoades

#15039 Post by BRhoades » January 15th, 2018, 9:04 am

c fu wrote:Sunset beer co had The Florida Psuedo Sue and the Toppling Goliath Mosaic Psuedo sue in stock. Tried them side by side. THey don't even look the same let alone taste the same. Another example of a brewery selling their name to make money. Was hoping Florida would have it dialed in now that distro has reached the west coast. Nope
Alpine - Greenflash.

Cheers,

Bud

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15040 Post by Rick Allen » January 15th, 2018, 1:15 pm

I was talking with the owner of the local pizza company, and he was saying that he could make better pizzas than were made in his shop, but his problem was that he couldn't teach all his employees to make that pizza. Some just didn't have the aptitude. Instead he tried to insure that his shop makes the best pizza that everyone can make, which gives him consistency in his product.

I think brewing is a lot like that. When the original brewer is making the beer, the quality is high, but you can't necessarily teach everyone to make beer the way the original brewer does. As your Brewery gets bigger, it becomes harder and harder to maintain that super high level of quality, so things start to slack off.

I had a conversation once with Alan Sprints (Hair of the Dog), where I was telling him that I was worried about getting a bigger brew system and what effect it would have on our beer. He said, "As long a you're the one making it, your beer will be fine."

BRhoades

#15041 Post by BRhoades » January 15th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Rick Allen wrote:I was talking with the owner of the local pizza company, and he was saying that he could make better pizzas than were made in his shop, but his problem was that he couldn't teach all his employees to make that pizza. Some just didn't have the aptitude. Instead he tried to insure that his shop makes the best pizza that everyone can make, which gives him consistency in his product.

I think brewing is a lot like that. When the original brewer is making the beer, the quality is high, but you can't necessarily teach everyone to make beer the way the original brewer does. As your Brewery gets bigger, it becomes harder and harder to maintain that super high level of quality, so things start to slack off.

I had a conversation once with Alan Sprints (Hair of the Dog), where I was telling him that I was worried about getting a bigger brew system and what effect it would have on our beer. He said, "As long a you're the one making it, your beer will be fine."
Rick, there's a lot of truth to that. From my perspective I look at Modern Times who have grown enormously but never has the beer suffered, in fact they are actually better than ever because Jacob has total control over the beers.

Cheers,

Bud

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15042 Post by Cris Whetstone » January 15th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Rick Allen wrote:I was talking with the owner of the local pizza company, and he was saying that he could make better pizzas than were made in his shop, but his problem was that he couldn't teach all his employees to make that pizza. Some just didn't have the aptitude. Instead he tried to insure that his shop makes the best pizza that everyone can make, which gives him consistency in his product.

I think this effect covers a wide range of products beyond beer. At least that's been my suspicion for as long as I can remember.

While I can't fault small operations taking the money when it's offered it is a bummer to know that the product will suffer in some way in the future. Again, for most things. Not only beer.

One of my guilty pleasure beers is Knuckle Sandwich from Bootleggers. It's listed as a DIPA but it really drinks like a somewhat lighter bodied barleywine. Due to the hop treatment you really need to drink it within a month or two of bottling. You could find it in local markets and liquor stores that sold craft beer anytime they made a new batch. I could find it fresh.

Since they made a deal with a big distributor, Straub, and expanded their capacity I can find Knuckle Sandwich most anywhere. I can also find it in 12oz bottles in addition to the original bomber size. One problem, I can find it at big stores now but not because they get it out quicker and broader. It's being made in quantity and moved slower. I find it with bottling dates anywhere from three to six months ago. As such, I haven't purchased it in over a year.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15043 Post by Cris Whetstone » January 15th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Harviestoun Old Engine Oil - From the can. Not a beer I ever thought I'd see in a can. Seems a bit thinner and fizzier than I remember. Don't know if that is the can or my memory. Not quite as good as I remember either but still way up there in the ranks. Will have to compare it to the bottle soon.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15044 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 15th, 2018, 10:55 pm

BRhoades wrote:

Rick, there's a lot of truth to that. From my perspective I look at Modern Times who have grown enormously but never has the beer suffered, in fact they are actually better than ever because Jacob has total control over the beers.

Cheers,

Bud
Do you know if that's true of their new DTLA location (embarrassingly named "The Dankness Dojo")?

Jason Hagen

#15045 Post by Jason Hagen » January 16th, 2018, 9:18 am

Cris Whetstone wrote:
One of my guilty pleasure beers is Knuckle Sandwich from Bootleggers. It's listed as a DIPA but it really drinks like a somewhat lighter bodied barleywine. Due to the hop treatment you really need to drink it within a month or two of bottling. You could find it in local markets and liquor stores that sold craft beer anytime they made a new batch. I could find it fresh.

Since they made a deal with a big distributor, Straub, and expanded their capacity I can find Knuckle Sandwich most anywhere. I can also find it in 12oz bottles in addition to the original bomber size. One problem, I can find it at big stores now but not because they get it out quicker and broader. It's being made in quantity and moved slower. I find it with bottling dates anywhere from three to six months ago. As such, I haven't purchased it in over a year.
A true guilty pleasure. I would be the same in that I would never buy that beer, at least in bottle. I remember about 10 years ago, near Bootleggers opening, we went to their old "store unit" facility and they had Knuckle Sandwich on tap. I had never had anything like it. Although now the flavors, sweetness and body would not be to my liking, at that moment they were an epiphany. At that time, Bootleggers took a very hard line on how they would NEVER bottle this because of its short life span. We had a long convo with the owner and workers about this. But in the end, $$$ is king.

Speaking of Hair of the Dog, are those beers considered enjoyable. I have to say, it is the one of the very very few breweries I have ever visited, where every beer was awful. Most of them undrinkable. I think we had 14 beers. Barf. But the nice thing was they also served up some crappy food. Shocking that they have stayed in business in that market.

Jason

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15046 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » January 16th, 2018, 11:28 am

Had a Three Floyds Alpha Klaus Christmas Porter on draft yesterday, piney, chocolatey goodness, smooth and perfect level of bitterness to round it out.
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

BRhoades

#15047 Post by BRhoades » January 16th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
BRhoades wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
Do you know if that's true of their new DTLA location (embarrassingly named "The Dankness Dojo")?
Brian, when the new DTLA location opens I have no doubt the quality and consistency will be spot on,we need to go check it out, its almost ready.

Cheers,

Bud

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#15048 Post by c fu » January 17th, 2018, 8:34 am

I think modern times has big time quality issues. They just produce so much beer with so many different skus that it gets lost in everything.

They have big big big time infection issues. Something that you won’t experience if you aren’t buying their stouts
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15049 Post by Rick Allen » January 17th, 2018, 9:02 am

Sounds like they're opening multiple locations. They are moving into the old Commons space as well.

Joe Hauck

#15050 Post by Joe Hauck » January 17th, 2018, 10:28 am

c fu wrote:I think modern times has big time quality issues. They just produce so much beer with so many different skus that it gets lost in everything.

They have big big big time infection issues. Something that you won’t experience if you aren’t buying their stouts

I know you had an issue with one beer that they wouldn't take back, but have there been others? I only ask because we get every brewery only release here in kegs and cans and have never heard of a single problem. I think Modern Times is top notch.
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Beer and Spirits”