Peaty Whisky Advice

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Peaty Whisky Advice

#51 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 24th, 2019, 6:33 pm

RichardFlack wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 2:24 pm
Slight thread drift ... part of any whisky journey has to be learning the effect of a little water, and Laphroaig 10 is a fairly dramatic example. A small amount of water tames the harsh iodine component on the nose dramatically and you get hints of violets.

I wasn't aware that the basic Bruichlaiddich is now unpeated (haven't had it in a while; I have Octomore sitting waiting for a suitable occasion (and company!) to be opened), thanks for the info. Enjoyed the article on the Peat shortage .. a bit wimpish of the authors to put Happy April Fools Day at the bottom though.
Laphroaig 10 yo cask strength not only benefits (greatly) from water, it requires water! The watered-down "regular" Laphroaig 10 yo, for my palate, is already watered-back too far, and therefore doesn't require any additional. The suitable occasion for Octomore is when you're pulling a mean prank on someone, or you're trying to determine who can drink the most gasoline, or simple self-loathing.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Peaty Whisky Advice

#52 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 24th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 6:04 pm
JulianD wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 7:49 am
RichardFlack wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 2:24 pm
Slight thread drift ... part of any whisky journey has to be learning the effect of a little water, and Laphroaig 10 is a fairly dramatic example. A small amount of water tames the harsh iodine component on the nose dramatically and you get hints of violets.

I wasn't aware that the basic Bruichlaiddich is now unpeated (haven't had it in a while; I have Octomore sitting waiting for a suitable occasion (and company!) to be opened), thanks for the info. Enjoyed the article on the Peat shortage .. a bit wimpish of the authors to put Happy April Fools Day at the bottom though.
I thought it was technically peated, but only like 1-2ppm
From the Bruichlaiddich website:

"OUR BRUICHLADDICH WHISKY RANGE IS UNPEATED, FLORAL AND COMPLEX. TRICKLE DISTILLED FROM 100% SCOTTISH BARLEY USING MUCH OF THE ORIGINAL VICTORIAN MACHINERY, THE METHODS EMPLOYED BY OUR CRAFTSMEN HAVE CONTINUED UNCHANGED. THIS IS NATURAL WHISKY, NON-CHILL FILTERED AND COLOURING FREE."

I was at the distillery in August, and everyone I spoke to said the same. So if there's a tiny bit of peat, they aren't mentioning it.
Peat at 1 - 2ppm is not discernible, I would think.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Return to “Beer and Spirits”