WhistlePig The Boss Hog IV

Found a couple of bottles of this locally…paralyzingly expensive ($449/bot), but showing up on several sites at $999 plus…Is it worth scooping them with the hopes of selling one to offset the cost of drinking the other? It’s the “Best In Show Whiskey” from the San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2017. I tend to be susceptible to situations like this, because my desire to taste the hype is often too strong to ignore. Talk me into/out of it.

I do love the WP10. Always want to spring for the next level WP stuff, but haven’t pulled the trigger. Good luck whatever you do.

Hi Billy, I follow a couple different Secondary Bourbon groups and the Black Prince (WP IV) is only going for $420-450 a bottle (shipped and no taxes). The price you are seeing is the secondary price… the stores @ $999 will never sell those or only to some fool with too much money. Those are the stores that have Old Rip Van Winkle for $999 too.
On this same group some one offered $499 and no one took it… $450 is the max.

Ah! Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

The Whistle Pig line is just purchased Canadian Rye with fancy cask wizardry yea? I strive to spend serious coin only on seriously crafted spirits. If you are going to offer me sourced spirits at least provide good value.

I recently had the 15 year. Never heard of the producer prior to tasting it so it truly was a blind tasting, in the sense. Just awesome stuff and worth the $200 bucks (when I looked later) IMO. It may be bought from Canada but it’s darn good.

Full deets.
Boss Hog IV_Final_2017.pdf (1.33 MB)

Boss Hog Edition II, which sold for just under $200, was one of the absolute best North American whiskeys I’ve ever had. It’s significantly better than most unicorn-type domestic whiskeys that people now pay over $500 for (I’ve tried quite a few). I really don’t care where the distillate came from, and making judgments about the product based on that is quite misguided.

Well Boss Hog no longer sells for $200, it is now in the same realm as BTAC. If you’re opinion is that it is better than Sazerac 18 and Thomas Handy I respectively disagree.

It is good whiskey don’t get me wrong, I just think there is some window dressing that you end up paying a lot for.

I think a barrel strength version of Lot 40 will show up before long and it should be a much better value.

Also French brandy is the new Bourbon. [wink.gif]