WhistlePig The Boss Hog IV

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Billy Norris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Billy Norris » January 4th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Found a couple of bottles of this locally...paralyzingly expensive ($449/bot), but showing up on several sites at $999 plus...Is it worth scooping them with the hopes of selling one to offset the cost of drinking the other? It's the “Best In Show Whiskey” from the San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2017. I tend to be susceptible to situations like this, because my desire to taste the hype is often too strong to ignore. Talk me into/out of it.

Mike Cohen

#2 Post by Mike Cohen » January 4th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Billy Norris wrote:Found a couple of bottles of this locally...paralyzingly expensive ($449/bot), but showing up on several sites at $999 plus...Is it worth scooping them with the hopes of selling one to offset the cost of drinking the other? It's the “Best In Show Whiskey” from the San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2017. I tend to be susceptible to situations like this, because my desire to taste the hype is often too strong to ignore. Talk me into/out of it.
I do love the WP10. Always want to spring for the next level WP stuff, but haven't pulled the trigger. Good luck whatever you do.

Patrick M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Patrick M » January 5th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Hi Billy, I follow a couple different Secondary Bourbon groups and the Black Prince (WP IV) is only going for $420-450 a bottle (shipped and no taxes). The price you are seeing is the secondary price... the stores @ $999 will never sell those or only to some fool with too much money. Those are the stores that have Old Rip Van Winkle for $999 too.
On this same group some one offered $499 and no one took it... $450 is the max.
P@tr!ck M!llett

Billy Norris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Billy Norris » January 5th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Patrick M wrote:Hi Billy, I follow a couple different Secondary Bourbon groups and the Black Prince (WP IV) is only going for $420-450 a bottle (shipped and no taxes). The price you are seeing is the secondary price... the stores @ $999 will never sell those or only to some fool with too much money. Those are the stores that have Old Rip Van Winkle for $999 too.
On this same group some one offered $499 and no one took it... $450 is the max.
Ah! Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

Dustin Buchko
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Dustin Buchko » January 5th, 2018, 9:29 pm

The Whistle Pig line is just purchased Canadian Rye with fancy cask wizardry yea? I strive to spend serious coin only on seriously crafted spirits. If you are going to offer me sourced spirits at least provide good value.

andy velebil

#6 Post by andy velebil » January 17th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Dustin Buchko wrote:The Whistle Pig line is just purchased Canadian Rye with fancy cask wizardry yea? I strive to spend serious coin only on seriously crafted spirits. If you are going to offer me sourced spirits at least provide good value.
I recently had the 15 year. Never heard of the producer prior to tasting it so it truly was a blind tasting, in the sense. Just awesome stuff and worth the $200 bucks (when I looked later) IMO. It may be bought from Canada but it's darn good.
I'm a Port drinking fool!
http://www.fortheloveofport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ftlop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » January 17th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Full deets.
Attachments
Boss Hog IV_Final_2017.pdf
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Doug Schulman » January 27th, 2018, 10:10 am

andy velebil wrote:
Dustin Buchko wrote:The Whistle Pig line is just purchased Canadian Rye with fancy cask wizardry yea? I strive to spend serious coin only on seriously crafted spirits. If you are going to offer me sourced spirits at least provide good value.
I recently had the 15 year. Never heard of the producer prior to tasting it so it truly was a blind tasting, in the sense. Just awesome stuff and worth the $200 bucks (when I looked later) IMO. It may be bought from Canada but it's darn good.
Boss Hog Edition II, which sold for just under $200, was one of the absolute best North American whiskeys I've ever had. It's significantly better than most unicorn-type domestic whiskeys that people now pay over $500 for (I've tried quite a few). I really don't care where the distillate came from, and making judgments about the product based on that is quite misguided.
ITB - retail sales and education

Dustin Buchko
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Dustin Buchko » January 28th, 2018, 12:08 am

Well Boss Hog no longer sells for $200, it is now in the same realm as BTAC. If you’re opinion is that it is better than Sazerac 18 and Thomas Handy I respectively disagree.

It is good whiskey don’t get me wrong, I just think there is some window dressing that you end up paying a lot for.

I think a barrel strength version of Lot 40 will show up before long and it should be a much better value.

Also French brandy is the new Bourbon. [wink.gif]

Return to “Beer and Spirits”