Hot Buttered Rum

I have yet to try this recipe, but when I heard Veronica was planning to enjoy some last night, my wife insisted on the recipe - perhaps we’ll try it tonight!

Hot Buttered Rum

2 oz Rum
3 tsp Sugar
.5 tsp Allspice
.5 tsp Cloves
1 tbsp Butter
Hot Water

Warm a mug or glass, and then add sugar and about 1.5 oz of hot water to the mug. Stir sugar and water until sugar is well-dissolved. Add rum and spices and then fill top the mug with hot water. Add butter and stir until butter is completely melted. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and/or orange peel, depending on the flavor you’re looking for.

VIDEO:
How to Mix a Hot Buttered Rum « Rum :: WonderHowTo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMO you want brown sugar, probably “light” brown sugar. You make a paste with the butter and put dollops into the cups and let the hot water and rum solution dissolve it.

Sounds like a plan - what kind of rum is best for these drinks?

I like Meyer’s Dark Rum but ???

It’s a great drink for weather like we are having in NJ

When I was tending bar I used to make my mix using the old Trader Vic’s recipe, which uses nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves as the spices. Everyone loved it. It was best with dark rum- I used Myer’s.

I’m also fond of Myer’s Dark Rum. Shortly after I was legal to buy spirits (the second time, I was legal in Montana at 18), I bought a pint of Myer’s. I hated it and would have poured it out except it was expensive to me at the time. By the time I finished the bottle a few weeks later, I loved the stuff.

-Al

OK, I speld it rong

Still tastes the same!

-Al

I have been trying to reconstruct where I found that recipe. We stirred with cinnamon sticks I think, and I remember we made up a solid paste of the butter and spices. This was at my in-laws’ house in Vermont, probably before there was an internet. I looked in the old edition of “Joy of Cooking” and indeed she had a recipe, not the one I was remembering, but with an amusing comment on the fact that each tumbler gets a quarter cup of rum, which would make you “see double and think you were single.” Maybe it was Old Mr. Boston or something.

There was a distillery in Massachusetts that was producing rum back in, I think, the 17th century. Thus lots of old New England fruitcake recipes call for soaking in rum, and a lot of old New England drinks include rum.

Here is something from Wikipedia:

Bartending/Cocktails/Hot Buttered Rum - Wikibooks, open books for an open world" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;