City of Portland vs Old Town Brewing

The City of Portland is in a trademark dispute with Old Town Brewing - a classic case of trying to outspend your opponent. Brewers (and beer drinkers) in Portland are pissed. This may cost the mayor a second term…

BTW, if you’re not reading Jeff Alworth’s blog, you should.

What a load of bullshit. I hate that the big guys can throw weight around so much. I am fearful that eventually ABI and to a lesser extent Miller Coors will start squeezing the raw material market for all the small brewers out there. We already saw it with South African Hops this year, how long until AB decides they want to corner the market on barrels?

This is exactly the sort of BS that makes me want to avoid taking a vacation in Portland or spending my money on anything that would support a City that thinks this is how to treat a small business in their Chamber of Commerce. It’s also the sort of thing that makes me wish there was a go fund me page to support the brewery…

Blog is very well written. Here’s hoping a big-time lawyer throws some pro bono work their way in this big fight.

Hey Rick,

Thanks for posting about Jeff Alworth’s blog. It is a great read. It lead me to purchase a couple of 22oz bottles of Breakside What Rough Beast, which Jeff mentioned in his beer sherpa guide. Drinking it now, it is kind of a juicy NE style IPA with a tad more bitterness. Very well made beer. Love the blog.

Hope the Portland Admin gets their act together regarding this trademark dispute. They are on the wrong side on this one.

I hope it does cost the mayor re-election. The whole thing is ridiculous, but this line from the city is the best and most extreme illustration of that:

The City believes it has the legal right to use this iconic logo to promote our brand, including promoting Portland’s brand around local craft beer, food, and wine.

Yeah, by selling the logo to Budweiser. I wonder if Michael Cox, Director of Communications (not sure if that’s for the mayor’s office or what), is able to have any self-respect at all after sending out that nonsense.

“The City believes it has the legal right to use this iconic logo to promote our brand…”

From what I read, the white stag logo was created for the White Stag clothing company, and never belonged to the City of Portland. The city must know, after three patent court rulings in favor of Old Town, that they have no chance in court. I’m afraid their attitude and heavy handed tactics are typical of arrogant government entities.

P Hickner

I believe this will be resolved in the next day or two.

Peter, you are correct about the logo. I didn’t realize until years later that the White Stag name came from the translated (from German) names of the two individuals that started the company - Hirsch and Weiss.