Daily drinker Scotches

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#51 Post by JeromeHan » November 3rd, 2017, 11:59 am

ERPark wrote:^^^ You'll do anything to make your hands look bigger!
[rofl.gif]

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#52 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 3rd, 2017, 3:30 pm

I don't know of any single malts in the $30 - $35 range that I would ever buy. The three I recommended, however, can be found in the $40 - $50 range, and I consider that a great deal considering how little one drinks at a time.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#53 Post by JeromeHan » November 3rd, 2017, 3:53 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:I don't know of any single malts in the $30 - $35 range that I would ever buy. The three I recommended, however, can be found in the $40 - $50 range, and I consider that a great deal considering how little one drinks at a time.
I didn't even know Aberlour made a 10 yr.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#54 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 3rd, 2017, 5:14 pm

Yup. Unfortunately, not as readily available in the States as the 12 yo or the cask-strength A'bundah. The A'bundah gets lots of good reviews, but I think it's nearly kerosene. If you can find the Aberlour 10, it will be affordable and it is worth buying.

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#55 Post by JeromeHan » November 4th, 2017, 6:21 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:Yup. Unfortunately, not as readily available in the States as the 12 yo or the cask-strength A'bundah. The A'bundah gets lots of good reviews, but I think it's nearly kerosene. If you can find the Aberlour 10, it will be affordable and it is worth buying.
We may have very different palates. I find the A'bunadh delicious to no end, especially the earlier batches. Then again, I like Sherry-ed whiskies.... and peated whiskies... and whiskies...

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#56 Post by Henry Kiichli » November 4th, 2017, 10:10 am

The last couple of evenings I have sipped my Teacher's. It is not great scotch, good single malt, or premium blend. It is very good supermarket scotch, and on sale for €8,99 next week.
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#57 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 4th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Different palates a possibility, for sure. You're not anywhere close to being alone in enjoying the A'bundah. I used to looooove sherried whiskies ... until I got into sherry; ever since, I tend to find the sherry barrel influence too strong/distracting; they do taste awfully good, though.

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#58 Post by Henry Kiichli » March 22nd, 2018, 2:13 pm

Does Blended Scotch Still Have a Place in the Modern Bar? https://nyti.ms/2FQrfH7
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#59 Post by john stimson » March 23rd, 2018, 6:05 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:mine are Laphroaig 10, Aberlour 10, and Highland Park 12.
I always liked the Aberlour 10, but they don't make it anymore, do they?

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#60 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 23rd, 2018, 9:21 pm

Don't know. It was always in my cabinet while in UK from 2011 - 2014. About $30, and sometimes snagged it for about $25 on sale, iirc. Maybe it makes some markets and not others?

JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#61 Post by JeromeHan » March 24th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Henry Kiichli wrote:Does Blended Scotch Still Have a Place in the Modern Bar? https://nyti.ms/2FQrfH7
Well my current go to bottle is Compass Box Spice Tree so... yes.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#62 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 24th, 2018, 6:53 pm

This is an interesting post; I don’t drink whisky that much but have accumulated a pretty huge amount of bottles (~70 or so). I feel like if I want something to take the edge off a long day I want something supremely smooth but that doesn’t require much thought and most young scotches, especially single malt, don’t do it for me. I would probably reach for Macallan rare cask or jw blue. I have 3-4 bottles of each sitting around for that purpose.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”