Daily drinker Scotches

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#1 Post by JeromeHan » September 28th, 2017, 2:35 pm

After collecting scotches over a few years, I've noticed that there are periods in which the only bottles I really have on the shelf are not easy enjoyable drams. I have no problem opening up a nice bottle once in a while and enjoy it slowly, but there are times when you just want to drink something tasty.

I've noticed more and more that I've been leaning toward the Glenmorangie 10 and the Tomatin 12 as my everyday bottles that I can enjoy after a long day to simply unwind. Anyone have any other suggestions that would fall under the daily-drinker category? Both the Tomatin and Glenmorangie are around $30-$35 around me which is a fair price I feel.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#2 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 28th, 2017, 9:42 pm

mine are Laphroaig 10, Aberlour 10, and Highland Park 12.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#3 Post by RyanC » September 28th, 2017, 10:11 pm

I always have Springbank 12 and Lagavulin 16 on hand. Not sure they fit your description but they're my daily drinkers.
C@ughey

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#4 Post by mmarcellus » September 29th, 2017, 6:42 am

Campbelltown Loch is a blend but at $30ish it's a great daily drinker, especially if you're partial to the Campbelltown (i.e. Springbank) style.
M @ r k

ybarselah

Daily drinker Scotches

#5 Post by ybarselah » September 29th, 2017, 7:10 am

mmarcellus wrote:Campbelltown Loch is a blend but at $30ish it's a great daily drinker, especially if you're partial to the Campbelltown (i.e. Springbank) style.
this seems really interesting to me. thanks for the recommendation.

Personally (not daily, but often):

Old Pulteney 12
Green Spot (Irish, but close)
Laphroaig 15 200th anniversary
Yaacov (ITB)

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#6 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » September 29th, 2017, 7:42 am

Oban.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Louis Demers

Daily drinker Scotches

#7 Post by Louis Demers » September 29th, 2017, 7:56 am

Talisker 10, Springbank 10 (or the 2 CS), Glenlivet 15 (most prob the closest to the ones you mentioned) or a Bruichladdich if you can find one)

These would be my easy to find choices ( the Laph, Berg, Laga are all valid but you have to like the style)

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#8 Post by Jay $$ Winton » September 29th, 2017, 8:05 am

Balvenie 14 in Rum casks, Glenfarclas 12 come to mind. Unfortunately scotch prices continue to climb and even daily drinkers are getting pricey.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Louis Demers

Daily drinker Scotches

#9 Post by Louis Demers » September 29th, 2017, 8:15 am

Forgot about the Balvenie Caribean cask!! yes it is a daily drinker for sure!

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#10 Post by JKim » September 29th, 2017, 8:26 am

I am more of a Speyside guy and don't much like heavy peat so don't have frog or lag on my shelf. But, there's usually Balvenie, Macallan, Glenrothes, Aberlour open at my house. Have quite a few Japanese malts open too. And tons of bourbon/rye.
Joe

JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#11 Post by JeromeHan » September 29th, 2017, 11:49 am

mmarcellus wrote:Campbelltown Loch is a blend but at $30ish it's a great daily drinker, especially if you're partial to the Campbelltown (i.e. Springbank) style.
Springbank 15 and the Cask Strength 12 are two of my favorite scotches period is it heavy on that iodine finish?

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#12 Post by fred o. » September 29th, 2017, 12:06 pm

for easy drinking, esp if you're ok with scotch on the rocks (can balance some of the heady alcohol and also makes it a more refreshing sipper), I like cheaper blends. Bank Note is pretty decent and is also a good mixer if you want a scotch cocktail like a penicillin, etc. Johnnie Walker Green is underrated for what it is -- all malt, no grain whisky, and 15 y/o age statement which is increasingly a rarity, and can be found at a great price at a lot of places, including Costco. the Green was out for a while but I'm glad it's back in production/distribution, has more depth than the black and is a much better deal than the blue or the newer platinum, etc.

C Chen

Daily drinker Scotches

#13 Post by C Chen » September 29th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Another vote for Balvenie 14 Caribbean.
curt1S ch3N

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#14 Post by mmarcellus » September 29th, 2017, 1:57 pm

JeromeHan wrote:
Springbank 15 and the Cask Strength 12 are two of my favorite scotches period is it heavy on that iodine finish?
I don't know about "heavy", but the iodine/peaty finish is definitely there. This is a blend, and also aged less than Springbank's single malts (6 years, I think), so it's not going to have the same punch as the above two. However, that's arguably a feature rather than a flaw for a daily drinker.
M @ r k

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Daily drinker Scotches

#15 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 29th, 2017, 2:05 pm

Monkey Shoulder - absolutely
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#16 Post by JeromeHan » September 29th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Monkey Shoulder - absolutely
I've definitely tried it a few times and I think I enjoyed it, but I also remember it being very sweet. Maybe I need to job my memory again.... [cheers.gif]

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Daily drinker Scotches

#17 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 29th, 2017, 5:28 pm

JeromeHan wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:Monkey Shoulder - absolutely
I've definitely tried it a few times and I think I enjoyed it, but I also remember it being very sweet. Maybe I need to job my memory again.... [cheers.gif]
Always add a few drops of water. Yeah, it's on the sweeter side, as it's not so peaty. It's a blend of three non-peaty single malts, so I guess that's why (Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#18 Post by Josh Grossman » September 29th, 2017, 6:27 pm

Highland Park 12

JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#19 Post by JeromeHan » September 30th, 2017, 10:35 am

Josh Grossman wrote:Highland Park 12
I would love to, but it's usually just out of my price range for a daily-drinker bottle.

N. Justl
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#20 Post by N. Justl » September 30th, 2017, 11:19 am

Edradour 10
Nick

ERPark

Daily drinker Scotches

#21 Post by ERPark » September 30th, 2017, 10:28 pm

Balvenie Doublewood 12
Benriach Septendecim 17 (b/c I got a bunch on closeout at Costco for less than what Balvenie 12 retails for)
GEN3

james l moleberg

Daily drinker Scotches

#22 Post by james l moleberg » October 1st, 2017, 2:04 pm

Springbank 21 and springbank 12 Burgundy cask are my two go-tos that I go to multiple times a week

JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#23 Post by JeromeHan » October 1st, 2017, 8:52 pm

james l moleberg wrote:Springbank 21 and springbank 12 Burgundy cask are my two go-tos that I go to multiple times a week
Wow. Springbank 21 is your daily-drinker? Kudos to you! champagne.gif

Louis Demers

Daily drinker Scotches

#24 Post by Louis Demers » October 2nd, 2017, 5:43 am

james l moleberg wrote:Springbank 21 and springbank 12 Burgundy cask are my two go-tos that I go to multiple times a week

Someone has no kids at home ! neener (Man the Spring 18 is about one of the best I've had, one day I'll find a 21 I guess lol)

james l moleberg

Daily drinker Scotches

#25 Post by james l moleberg » October 2nd, 2017, 12:08 pm

JeromeHan wrote:
i don't drink out very often. considering how easily it is to spend $20 on a pour of mediocre scotch, a 2 oz pour of springbank 21 from my cabinet runs about $27 and that is a small price to pay for such a fine dram.

Louis Demers

Daily drinker Scotches

#26 Post by Louis Demers » October 3rd, 2017, 5:39 am

james l moleberg wrote:
JeromeHan wrote:
i don't drink out very often. considering how easily it is to spend $20 on a pour of mediocre scotch, a 2 oz pour of springbank 21 from my cabinet runs about $27 and that is a small price to pay for such a fine dram.

And this ladies and gentlemen is how it is done !

Seriously well thought and I think the same way, thing is... living in a monopoly I dont get the nice prices you guys get in a costco for a Springbank ( the 15 was 150 ish, the 18 200ish and the 25 is 905$)

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#27 Post by Henry Kiichli » October 3rd, 2017, 12:28 pm

I love good single malt. I would say Lagavulin 16 is my favorite among the Scotches one can always find, but I like Balvenie, Bowmore, Highland Park, and others, too. But...

In the winter, after the day winds down, I probably drink more Teacher's than anything else. Yup - plain Ol Teacher's. A couple of years ago we did Falstaff and had a great Scottish baritone as a guest for Ford. We were chatting about booze, and he went off on all these $100 or so bottles. "At home nobody drinks that shite!"

He liked Teacher's, too.
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

David H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#28 Post by David H. » October 8th, 2017, 8:39 am

If you're ok with a blend, I find the Compass Box Great King Street to be an excellent value for a daily drinker.
H @ y c º c k

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#29 Post by Eric Ifune » October 14th, 2017, 4:20 pm

For real cheap, there's the Trader Joe's Highland Single Malt for about $17. Not great but decent for the price.

JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#30 Post by JeromeHan » October 15th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Henry Kiichli wrote:I love good single malt. I would say Lagavulin 16 is my favorite among the Scotches one can always find, but I like Balvenie, Bowmore, Highland Park, and others, too. But...

In the winter, after the day winds down, I probably drink more Teacher's than anything else. Yup - plain Ol Teacher's. A couple of years ago we did Falstaff and had a great Scottish baritone as a guest for Ford. We were chatting about booze, and he went off on all these $100 or so bottles. "At home nobody drinks that shite!"

He liked Teacher's, too.
I've also heard that a lot of Scottish people actually don't drink much scotch.

Joe Hauck

Daily drinker Scotches

#31 Post by Joe Hauck » October 17th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:mine are Laphroaig 10, Aberlour 10, and Highland Park 12.
This, plus Caol Ila 12
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#32 Post by RichardFlack » October 17th, 2017, 5:34 pm

N. Justl wrote:Edradour 10
+1. Perfect mid/upscale daily drinker.

I'm a bit gobsmacked at what some people are putting back on daily basis. Perhaps I misunderstand. I don't drink scotch daily but if I did this might be one.
Also Bunnahabhain Ceobanach.
And as a counter point, Laphroaig 10 with a very good splash of spring water (totally opens it up and adds a floral note to the nose)

For the occasional special dram I'm right with many of the higher octane tipples cited here. Ardbeg (any but especially Corryvreckan) or Bunnahabhain 18 (I don't see the older ones much) or Bruichladdich Octomore (ok I sometimes like a lot of peat) in particular. But Corryvreckan at the top of the heap.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#33 Post by RichardFlack » October 17th, 2017, 5:37 pm

JeromeHan wrote:
Henry Kiichli wrote:I love good single malt. I would say Lagavulin 16 is my favorite among the Scotches one can always find, but I like Balvenie, Bowmore, Highland Park, and others, too. But...

He liked Teacher's, too.
Define "much". [stirthepothal.gif]

Also some mix with really weird stuff. I've even seen Blackcurrant.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Daily drinker Scotches

#34 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 17th, 2017, 5:45 pm

He liked Teacher's, too.
I'm now definitely on the lookout for Teacher's

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#35 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 17th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Richard,
I'm with you on the Laphroaig 10 + a splash of water ... if the Laphroaig 10 is the cask strength version! (which, by the way, is in the running for my favorite whisky in the world). I find the 10 too watered-back as-is, but as a "daily drinker" (read: cheap and good) it works quite well.

Despite my participation in this thread, I'd say I average about 6 drams a year now that I'm back in CA; generally, the weather is just too warm for whisky out here. At that pace, I have multiple lifetimes of whisky in my very small and humble cabinet.

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Kevin Lloyd

Daily drinker Scotches

#36 Post by Kevin Lloyd » October 18th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Ardbeg Uigeadail

JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#37 Post by JeromeHan » October 19th, 2017, 2:55 pm

RichardFlack wrote:
JeromeHan wrote:

He liked Teacher's, too.
Define "much". [stirthepothal.gif]

Also some mix with really weird stuff. I've even seen Blackcurrant.
Don't know if I can quantify it really, but my understanding is that they actually drink other distilled spirits more than they actually drink scotch whisky.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#38 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 23rd, 2017, 11:08 am

I've been to Scotland a few times; they drink *plenty* of whisky.. (don't dare call it "Scotch," unless you want to immediately brand yourself an ignoramus tourist). They are, generally, much more willing to add some water to their whiskys than are American connoisseurs of the same, however.

JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#39 Post by JeromeHan » October 23rd, 2017, 1:38 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:I've been to Scotland a few times; they drink *plenty* of whisky.. (don't dare call it "Scotch," unless you want to immediately brand yourself an ignoramus tourist). They are, generally, much more willing to add some water to their whiskys than are American connoisseurs of the same, however.
I stand corrected.

james s kim

Daily drinker Scotches

#40 Post by james s kim » October 27th, 2017, 8:28 am

JeromeHan wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:I've been to Scotland a few times; they drink *plenty* of whisky.. (don't dare call it "Scotch," unless you want to immediately brand yourself an ignoramus tourist). They are, generally, much more willing to add some water to their whiskys than are American connoisseurs of the same, however.
I stand corrected.
I've actually heard this as well and it seems to be a sarcastic joke of sorts. They don't drink much scotch, but they do drink plenty of whisky, which Brian clarified is scotch whisky.

Louis Demers

Daily drinker Scotches

#41 Post by Louis Demers » October 27th, 2017, 11:23 am

Actually a Scottish that I befriended at a tasting one day told me that the best way to find a tourist in a pub is to sport those who drink their whisky neat. lol

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#42 Post by RichardFlack » October 27th, 2017, 4:11 pm

As well as people drinking just whisky there are all those having a 'hauf n a hauf' ... make sure to count them too!
And the comments about water vs neat are dead on too.
It IS a while since I was there and it's always possible the younger generation has been corrupted by vodka or tequila or something.

Brandon R

Daily drinker Scotches

#43 Post by Brandon R » November 1st, 2017, 3:52 pm

I thought the OP was about "daily drinkers!" What's up with all you Highland Park 12 and Caol Ila and Lag 16, and on and on folks...those are you dailys? I love those whiskys, but that's crazy. I read it and I immediately thought of some blended stuff that is tasty, but south of the $50 or so mark. I'd love to see more in that range, if they exist.
B. Redman

JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#44 Post by JeromeHan » November 2nd, 2017, 11:55 am

Brandon R wrote:I thought the OP was about "daily drinkers!" What's up with all you Highland Park 12 and Caol Ila and Lag 16, and on and on folks...those are you dailys? I love those whiskys, but that's crazy. I read it and I immediately thought of some blended stuff that is tasty, but south of the $50 or so mark. I'd love to see more in that range, if they exist.
That is what I was trying to get, but I think I asked the wrong group of high rollers. I'm still stuck on my rotation of Tomatin 12, Glenmorangie 10, and Monkey Shoulder.

Brandon R

Daily drinker Scotches

#45 Post by Brandon R » November 2nd, 2017, 12:05 pm

I'm going to have to try and find this, "Monkey Shoulder" stuff. Never heard of it.
B. Redman

JeromeHan

Daily drinker Scotches

#46 Post by JeromeHan » November 2nd, 2017, 12:19 pm

Brandon R wrote:I'm going to have to try and find this, "Monkey Shoulder" stuff. Never heard of it.
It is fairly widely available in all big box stores and fairly well stocked liquor stores. Most will have it near bottom shelf though I find at around $35ish.

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#47 Post by John Osburn » November 2nd, 2017, 2:43 pm

Late to this party, but for a daily blended whisky to mix with ice, soda or water depending on your preference - White Horse is a good bet.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#48 Post by RichardFlack » November 2nd, 2017, 2:57 pm

Or Famous Grouse.
Personal favourite is Té Bheag, a blended malt (as opposed to grain).
And for a daily priced 12 yr old malt, Poit Dhubh from Skye.
Not only priced for daily consumption but the flavour profiles are also suitable.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Daily drinker Scotches

#49 Post by Craig G » November 3rd, 2017, 8:20 am

This is going to be my daily drinker tomorrow:
IMG_2459.JPG
IMG_2459.JPG (11.93 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

ERPark

Daily drinker Scotches

#50 Post by ERPark » November 3rd, 2017, 8:46 am

^^^ You'll do anything to make your hands look bigger!
GEN3

Return to “Beer and Spirits”