Brewery suggestions welcomed - ME, NH, VT

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1 Post by Jorge Henriquez » July 15th, 2017, 6:18 am

Doing a mini tour of New England next weekend. Thursday to Friday in Freeport, ME (will definitely go to Maine Beer Co); Friday to Saturday in Portsmouth, NH (definitely visiting Stoneface Brewing in Newington); Saturday to Sunday in Waitsfield, VT (halfway point between Lawson's in Warren and Alchemist in Waterbury). Any others that I should definitely not miss? Any dining must-do in those areas?
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Scott Tallman

#2 Post by Scott Tallman » July 15th, 2017, 7:22 am

Maine Beer Co is awesome. If you are going 20 miles up the road to Portland, definitely Oxbow, Bissell Brothers and Nova Res (beer bar). Allagash too if you can fit it in.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#3 Post by Jorge Henriquez » July 15th, 2017, 7:48 am

Scott Tallman wrote:Maine Beer Co is awesome. If you are going 20 miles up the road to Portland, definitely Oxbow, Bissell Brothers and Nova Res (beer bar). Allagash too if you can fit it in.
Down the road you mean. ;)

Yeah, will try to squeeze in as much as possible in Portland. Have already done Allagash a couple of times. But will def try for BB or Oxbow.
Cohort Numero Uno!

c_choi_
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by c_choi_ » July 15th, 2017, 8:57 am

If you're in VT, definitely have to go to the best brewery in the US: Hill Farmstead. It's in the middle of nowhere but worth it. Note, they're open on Saturday but not Sunday.
Chr|s Ch0|

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#5 Post by Jorge Henriquez » July 15th, 2017, 10:08 am

c_choi_ wrote:If you're in VT, definitely have to go to the best brewery in the US: Hill Farmstead. It's in the middle of nowhere but worth it. Note, they're open on Saturday but not Sunday.
Negative sir. I know darned well where HF is located and I'm not going based on 3 factors:

1) I'm over the hype
2) The beers are available almost everywhere in the area where I'll be staying. Hell, my local beer bar here in NY has 3 or more dedicated HF lines at any given time.
3) I'm not standing in line for 2 hours!

Thanks but no thanks.
Cohort Numero Uno!

Mike Cohen

#6 Post by Mike Cohen » July 15th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Fiddlehead
Burlington Beer Co.
Prohibition Pig
Frost
Foam

You should check whether Lawson's is open to the public

John Chapman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by John Chapman » July 15th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Second on Bissell. Nearby is a tiny garage brewery Bunker Brewing, worth a taste if they're open.

Probably out of your way but if you are heading through Lewiston check out Baxter Brewing.

By the way next to Bissell is Stroudwater Distilling, I liked their Bourbon although pricey if IIRC.

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#8 Post by Jorge Henriquez » July 15th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Thanks Mike and John.
Cohort Numero Uno!

jhemming

#9 Post by jhemming » July 16th, 2017, 5:03 pm

What are you hitting on your drive up?
Jason Hemming
Boston, MA

Rich Salsano

#10 Post by Rich Salsano » July 17th, 2017, 3:29 am

Lots of good suggestions above. I would definitely do Bissell Brothers, Foam, Frost and the Alchemist.

I would not bother with Fiddlehead (too small and only 2-3 beers offered at any given time) unless you are literally driving by it. Also agree with your thoughts on Hill Farmstead. Lots of those show up in NYC bars. Lawson's is also starting to show up a bit more from what I hear.

Not sure about travel route but you should figure out a way to hit Suarez Family Brewing on the ride up or down. Legit.
Richard Salsano

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#11 Post by Jorge Henriquez » July 17th, 2017, 4:21 am

jhemming wrote:What are you hitting on your drive up?
Nothing really. Heading up on Thursday after work and have to be up early on Friday. Most I can shoot for is a good dinner with a good pint somewhere in the Kittery area.
Cohort Numero Uno!

GMcCarthy

#12 Post by GMcCarthy » July 17th, 2017, 4:51 am

Skip Maine Beer Co, not worth your time as there is nothing unique to the tasting room. Any other combination of the above that suits your fancy would work. The Oxbow tasting room in Portland is excellent. Foundation and Austin St would be definites on my list. I'd probably stop at the new Tree House location in Charlton on my way up just out of curiousity. The Bier Cellar in Portland is probably one of the best beer shops I've been too.

Shoot me a text if you have any questions.
Greg McCarthy
itb:beer

Rich Salsano

#13 Post by Rich Salsano » July 17th, 2017, 5:56 am

Foundation is another great recommendation above.
Richard Salsano

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Doug Schulman » July 17th, 2017, 6:08 am

The Black Birch in Kittery is probably your spot for good dinner with a good pint. Or Anneke Jans if you want something more upscale. Or if you love Indian food as I do and the good pint isn't necessary (you can probably find something decent, but nothing exciting), one of the real gems of the area is Tulsi. They have some of the best Indian food I've had anywhere. It's better than anything I've had in the Boston/Cambridge area, which is really saying something. There are plenty of options in Portsmouth, NH (right over the bridge) too, but these are all worthwhile even when considering all of those places.

I agree with the Oxbow suggestion.
ITB - retail sales and education

jhemming

#15 Post by jhemming » July 17th, 2017, 9:03 am

GMcCarthy wrote:Foundation and Austin St would be definites on my list. I'd probably stop at the new Tree House location in Charlton on my way up.
Agree with above especially the TH suggestion. Soft opening yesterday but seems as though it has moved along quicker than expected and will remain open. I would just check with them first because hours are not set yet
Jason Hemming
Boston, MA

jhemming

#16 Post by jhemming » July 18th, 2017, 8:05 pm

TH starting sales of cans in Charlton tomorrow. Supposedly 1000+ cases of J , 250 cases of AE and a third TBD
Jason Hemming
Boston, MA

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#17 Post by Jorge Henriquez » July 18th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Yeah, heard the same earlier today. Hope it's not a madhouse on Thursday late afternoon when I stop by.
Cohort Numero Uno!

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#18 Post by c fu » July 18th, 2017, 10:46 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:Yeah, heard the same earlier today. Hope it's not a madhouse on Thursday late afternoon when I stop by.
late afternoon crowds are gone.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Thomas Keim » July 19th, 2017, 10:14 am

GEARY BREWING out of Portland is my favorite brewery on the West Coast. Their Geary's Ale drinks like a classic British Bitter - they are one of the pioneers of the craft beer era.
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#20 Post by Jorge Henriquez » July 19th, 2017, 10:15 am

Thomas Keim wrote:GEARY BREWING out of Portland is my favorite brewery on the West Coast. Their Geary's Ale drinks like a classic British Bitter - they are one of the pioneers of the craft beer era.
Pioneers indeed. But so many better breweries have taken their place.
Cohort Numero Uno!

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Thomas Keim » July 22nd, 2017, 11:30 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
Thomas Keim wrote:GEARY BREWING out of Portland is my favorite brewery on the West Coast. Their Geary's Ale drinks like a classic British Bitter - they are one of the pioneers of the craft beer era.
Pioneers indeed. But so many better breweries have taken their place.
I worked with David Geary throughout the 90s, and their 'Geary's Ale' is still my benchmark for a good British styled Bitter. Remember, true British Bitters rarely get over 4% alcohol, and I get so sick of the American versions that tip 6% plus alcohol - they have more in common with IPA's than a true Bitter -

Geary used Fuggle hops with their Bitter, which gives it a touch of grassiness to dance off the hops. It's low in alcohol, and for me, the ONLY American Bitter that comes close to a good British Bitter. While it's far from being fashionable in today's craft beer world, it's still the total bomb for me -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#22 Post by Jorge Henriquez » July 24th, 2017, 10:18 am

What an awesome trip! Almost 1,200 miles driven in 4 days. Some disappointments (arrived at Tree House 9 minutes after the hard cut-off so was only able to buy a single can off a very generous guy in the parking lot; couldn't make it to Oxbow; Alchemist doesn't open on Sundays which is the day I had free in Vermont) but a LOT of great moments/beers! I've fallen head over heels in love with the NEIPA haze!

Stoneface Brewing in Newington, NH (5 minutes NW of Portsmouth) was awesome. Their IPAs are legit!

Bissell Brothers needs little added hype in the cannon of New England IPAs.........but I'll add on to the love! Plus, the space is awesome.

Next stop was Foundation Brewery outside of Portland. Delicious sour farmouse ale (Zuurzing) and Maine IPA (Epiphany)
IMG_7427[1].JPG
IMG_7427[1].JPG (17.44 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Final stop in Maine was the OG of the ME craft beer scene, Allagash. It has a special place in my heart as one of the first craft beer destinations I ever visited back in 2007 or so. The brewery has almost entirely been redone and it looks amazing. The stouts and sours are phenomenal (specifically the Avancé that was being poured in 5 ounce portions along with 4 other beers......all for free mind you) and the bonus of having the best lobster roll I've ever eaten from the food truck in the yard just madde this a fantastic visit.

Avancé (sour aged in wine barrells with strawberries). The nose on this one was intoxicating

The BEST lobster roll on my trip was from this truck

The final haul:
IMG_7479[1].JPG
IMG_7479[1].JPG (31.2 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
In general, just an awesome trip and if anyone ever wants to plan a brewery hop through these 3-4 states (MA, NH, ME, VT) sometime in the future, I'm game.
Cohort Numero Uno!

Scott Tallman

#23 Post by Scott Tallman » July 24th, 2017, 10:32 am

Sounds awesome! Have done a Boston-Freeport-Portland trip, but want to go back and hit the neighboring states.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Jason Hagen

#24 Post by Jason Hagen » July 24th, 2017, 11:24 am

Thanks for the write up. I don't think you missed much at Oxbow. Great people but beer go from GREAT to meh at very best.

I will be hitting Bissell Brothers in November. Ended up hitting Oxbow instead on my previous trip to Portland.

Jason

Mike Cohen

#25 Post by Mike Cohen » July 24th, 2017, 11:31 am

Sounds fun...you really need to spend a long weekend up in the Burlington/Warren, VT area. It is off the charts if you're into NEIPA.

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#26 Post by Jorge Henriquez » July 24th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Mike Cohen wrote:Sounds fun...you really need to spend a long weekend up in the Burlington/Warren, VT area. It is off the charts if you're into NEIPA.
Yeah, unfortunately arrived on Saturday night and headed straight for dinner at Lareau Farm / American Flatbread (unbelievably good not-pizza pizza!)

Pint of Sip of Sunshine watching the last bit of sunshine of the day.

Next day was breakfast at the Warren Store after a work meeting and lunch at Prohibition Pig in Waterbury. The Bantam DIPA was also amazing:

Cohort Numero Uno!

Rich Salsano

#27 Post by Rich Salsano » July 24th, 2017, 3:50 pm

Looks and sounds amazing!
Richard Salsano

Mike Cohen

#28 Post by Mike Cohen » July 24th, 2017, 6:35 pm

I freaking love Prohibition Pig. The food is much better than it has to be, the beer list is world class, and they are often playing a live Grateful Dead show. Their Bantam DIPA is one of my favorites.

We will be there in three weeks. Last time I was there, I couldn't resist buying two of the beer tulips and two rocks glasses.

Please tell me you went across the street to Craft Beer Cellar?

As an aside, my family and I are skiers and we have some family in Burlington. I'd like to eventually own a small place in the Mad River Valley. It's a special place with a vibe that is so hard to describe and even harder to replicate.

Sean Devaney

#29 Post by Sean Devaney » July 25th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Wow Jorge what a nice write up. Enjoy the stash you brought back.

Bob Kot

#30 Post by Bob Kot » June 18th, 2018, 4:55 am

Apologies for the dated response, your next trip could make use of these suggestions on your next itinerary:

• Burlington Beer Company – Williston, VT ---- Amazing portfolio of beers
• Foam Brewers, Burlington VT ----- 112 Lake St, Burlington, VT 05401

• Great North Ale Works – Manchester, NH ---- Try the Moose Juice IPA

If you’re in Waterbury VT, you need to visit the “Craft Beer Cellar”, 3 Elm St, Waterbury, VT 05676
You’ll find beers there that many of the breweries don’t carry. Excellent growler station.

Cheers!

Return to “Beer and Spirits”