A beer geek friend sent me a case

And I’m putting together a case of wine for him. I don’t know a lot about these, but I’ll have fun discovering.
IMG_8677.JPG

Sorry so sideways

Is your friend in Seattle? I’ve like most of the Ruben’s I’ve tried. And Fremont. Never seen that particular Fremont, but their dark beers are generally solid.

Cleary a NW friend and a good one to have. Rusty Nail, PnB, Mother of All Storms, Parabloa are highly allocated and cellarworthy. Not cheap, either.

Have yet to be impressed with any of the Ruben’s beers, but almost all DeGarde beers are really good to great. Holy Mountain makes really nice brews. For me, he hands down best bottle you received is the Logsdon Peche n Brett. Love that beer!

Yeah, he’s in Seattle. He also sent me his “hand me down” Macao coffee grinder and an autographed Yedlin ball for my son. So it’ll be fun to put together the case of wine.

What should I drink first?

Storage/cellaring advice? (Upright? Time?)

Thanks

Does your friend want more friends?

I mentioned it. He asked for a head shot and a short bio.

upright/sideways whatevers, doesn’t matter. Keep it like wine. Most of those beers will age pretty well. Parabola ages great so does Peches n Brett.

Parabola seems to be widely available this year. I bought four bottles the first time I saw it, not realizing how easy it would be to obtain. Did they permanently expand production of that one? (the brewed it at Boulevard brewing this year).

Any that I should leave alone for some cellar time? Any that should be drunk younger?

There is expanded production on this release in 2017 due to space at Boulevard. If this is long term I’m not sure. But it’s definitely nation wide distribution now.

I’d hit the PnB sooner, rather than later, to get the full impact of the peach… which I think they use several pounds of per bottle.

Rusty Nail is interesting. I’ve only had 2 or 3, all young. Just a massive bomb of a BBA stout, similar to Midnight Sun’s Berserker, f you’ve tried it. Find a friend to share with.

I would bury the Pelican Mother of All Storms. I have 2012-2015 socked away at my brother’s house. I had one early and it was exactly what i’d expect from a cracked-out Barley Wine… caramel and alcohol. Definitely a different beast than anything else that I’ve had from Pelican, which has largely been mediocre to o.k. in terms of quality (i.e. Tsunami, etc.)

Have always drunk the De Garde beers early, with my absolute favorite being the collab with Rick (Heater Allen).

I have not tried the Ruben stouts; their IPAs have been ok but not exciting. I don’t recognize the pFriem label, but if I had to guess from the label, it’s a PnB knock-off. While I’ve been impressed with their IPAs and their Flanders, I was underwhelmed with the BBA and I’d be cautious on their Peach. Drink it soon, would be my advice, before the fruit goes away.

Parabola is great, regardless of when you drink it. Bigger issue with that style is the coffee variants, which (in my experience) have the coffee fade away after a year or two. I’d share it with someone who will really appreciate it. I did with my Parabajava and I had to shut the door on the fridge every night and remind myself that sharing is caring, rather than just pounding it in one sitting :smiley:

^^^ Thanks.

I kinda disagree on the PnB, I think they age pretty well. I have a 2014 that is still full of peachy flavor. It even needed a decant to really get it going.

I can’t tell which degarde you have, but some age well some age horribly, just depends. The fruit variant Bus or wild ales age really poorly and pick up this disgusting lacto quality.

That’s a fun mixed case. A lot of things on my list to try and I live here.

The move to single serving bottles makes it look like there is more available neener

On a side note- I’ve never seen so much Stickee Monkee available before, it’s everywhere still.

I love the move to the smaller bottles for Parabola.

Stickee Monkee is a Barleywine, right? I think that’s just not a very popular style.

FWIW Fremont recommends aging the rusty nail for at least a year

C’mon dude, It’s a Central Coast Quad! It’s also effen’ delicious!!