The Stout Thread...

While up in Sunriver, Oregon over the last week I made a pit-stop at the Bend Brewing Company. They had a fantastic stout called ‘Coconut Cream Stout’ which they described as a having a ‘hint of coconut’.

Well, the beer didn’t have any coconut hints that I could detect but it was absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately it isn’t bottled for sale and only available on tap at the brewery.

It was a fabulously smooth, creamy, super dark stout.

What other beer that is somewhat easily available (in bottle and/or tap) fits that description?

Eight Ball Stout from Lost Coast in Eureka, Ca…

And I can buy this where?

I would think any decent package store in your neck of the woods would have some. Or we could ship you some but I don’t think that would be necessary…

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out for it and let you know how it compares.

Yes, that’s another yummy stout!

Looks like a few things to try… Thanks

No coconut, but still . . .

Just had one of those yesterday. Yum. And you can’t go wrong with Sam Smith, although the one I had last week (their special winter brew) tasted a bit lackluster to me.

Stout is very hit or miss for me but I do like Anderson Valley’s. Have a large format in the fridge I picked up at the brewery when up there last month!

http://www.rogue.com/beers/shakespeare-stout.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tried this one today.

Pretty good but the finish was just a bit more bitter then what I am looking for. I did notice that these guys also do a “chocolate stout” so I may give that one a try. The search continues.

IMO Rogue is part of the higher-gravity is better/more “amplitude” school of beermaking. Parker would love them… Hell, they even oak some of their beers. [shock.gif]

I like the Rogue Shakespeare Stout, but if you get a chance, check out their Dry Irish Stout - one of the best I’ve had from bottle.

A cream stout is a sweet or milk stout, which is typically a style with more unfermented sugars in it (typically lactose, hence “milk stout”), making chocolate or other milk stouts the closest “relatives”. Dry stouts are quite dissimilar.

Widely available stouts in this style include Young’s Double Chocolate and Mackeson’s. We have a local variety made here in Michigan that is quite good (Bell’s Double Cream), but I don’t know if you can get it out west.

Left Hand’s Milk Stout is great stuff

Tried this one today. Definitely like this one better then the Rouge Shakespeare and it’s also cheaper. Thanks for the rec Brian. Still have a few more to try.

glad you liked it, Rob. [berserker.gif]