Mezcal advice?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Mezcal advice?

#51 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith »

I don't know what this is called, but it looked/sounded tasty (stolen from Kitchen Knife Forums)...

2 oz mezcal
1 oz Carpano Antica sweet vermouth
½ oz green Chartreuse
2 dashes chocolate bitters
Orange peel, for garnish
Waiting for the knish ufshtand

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Abbie S. »

We use Sombra Mezcal for cocktails. Especially love Negronis with Mezcal (instead of gin).
IG abbieroads

salovon

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by RyanC »

I recently bought a bottle of Mezcalero No. 22 (Don Valente Angel García) (Bicuishe)

It's one of the finest Mezcal's I've had. Intense and hyper-complex but ridiculously balanced with a velvet texture.
C@ughey

Jeff Twersky

#54 Post by Jeff Twersky »

RyanC wrote: October 24th, 2020, 9:03 am I recently bought a bottle of Mezcalero No. 22 (Don Valente Angel García) (Bicuishe)

It's one of the finest Mezcal's I've had. Intense and hyper-complex but ridiculously balanced with a velvet texture.
Good choice.

Alan Rath
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#55 Post by Alan Rath »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: October 20th, 2017, 11:43 am Had a cocktail class at The Mixing Glass last night, featuring Mezcal, and with a presentation by Judah Kuper of Mezcal Vago. Wow, fantastic stuff, wonderful story. A whole new world of Mezcal, truly. Bought a bottle of Elote, and the Paranubes rum which was otherwordly good - unlike ANY rum I've ever had.
Went looking for a mezcal thread and found this one. Stopped in to Old Town Tequila in old town here in San Diego. The have a 20 foot wall of mezcal, and I picked up a Vago (they had at least 5 different bottlings) really great, super interesting stuff, I need to pay more attention to mezcal. Might be more interesting than a lot of Scotches. The one difference is that you don’t find aged mezcal, wondering how it changes when aged for a few years.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Peter Petersen »

Haven’t tried Vago but k&l has three different ones for $50 each.

B Beachy

#57 Post by B Beachy »

Alan Rath wrote: June 27th, 2021, 9:10 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote: October 20th, 2017, 11:43 am Had a cocktail class at The Mixing Glass last night, featuring Mezcal, and with a presentation by Judah Kuper of Mezcal Vago. Wow, fantastic stuff, wonderful story. A whole new world of Mezcal, truly. Bought a bottle of Elote, and the Paranubes rum which was otherwordly good - unlike ANY rum I've ever had.
Went looking for a mezcal thread and found this one. Stopped in to Old Town Tequila in old town here in San Diego. The have a 20 foot wall of mezcal, and I picked up a Vago (they had at least 5 different bottlings) really great, super interesting stuff, I need to pay more attention to mezcal. Might be more interesting than a lot of Scotches. The one difference is that you don’t find aged mezcal, wondering how it changes when aged for a few years.
Mezcal ends up being a pretty expensive habit, but is a very rewarding one. It's been priced into scotch territory, where there are a lot of very solid ~$75 bottles, but the really amazing stuff (in the US) is often way above $100. A terrific resource for this is mezcalreviews.com, but there is also some great discussion on a Discord or two. If you are looking more for cocktail mixers instead of sippers, there are great options well below $75. IMO, the variety of flavor profiles and styles within mezcal is one of the most exciting categories in all of spirits. Among the major issues right now, though, is how to sustainably harvest some of these decades old plants, and how to ensure these small farmers who make unreal spirits get paid fairly vs. larger companies sweeping in to markup essentially homemade product to $140 with only a small fraction going to the distiller.
|3 0 |3 |3 `/

S.Swingle

#58 Post by S.Swingle »

I've found mezcal to be hit or miss. It could be that I've only ever had them in cocktails which might not be the best representation of their true qualities but I digress.
Still looking for a killer mezcal cocktail in San Francisco so if anyone knows of a spot, I'd love to know.
Seiji S.

Mike Cohen

#59 Post by Mike Cohen »

S.Swingle wrote: August 17th, 2021, 12:46 pm I've found mezcal to be hit or miss. It could be that I've only ever had them in cocktails which might not be the best representation of their true qualities but I digress.
Still looking for a killer mezcal cocktail in San Francisco so if anyone knows of a spot, I'd love to know.
Make one at home. To this day, one of my favorite cocktails is a Naked and Famous

.75oz Mezcal
.75oz Yellow Chartreuse
.75oz Aperol
.75oz Fresh Lime Juice

Shake well over ice

Don't tell anyone, but I usually just make it 1oz per ingredient.

M.Kaplan
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#60 Post by M.Kaplan »

Mike Cohen wrote: August 17th, 2021, 1:18 pm
S.Swingle wrote: August 17th, 2021, 12:46 pm I've found mezcal to be hit or miss. It could be that I've only ever had them in cocktails which might not be the best representation of their true qualities but I digress.
Make one at home. To this day, one of my favorite cocktails is a Naked and Famous

.75oz Mezcal
.75oz Yellow Chartreuse
.75oz Aperol
.75oz Fresh Lime Juice

Shake well over ice

Don't tell anyone, but I usually just make it 1oz per ingredient.
That looks good, Mike; I'll try one sometime.

I love lime mezcalitas: 2oz mezcal, 2oz lime juice, splash of Cointreau, sweeten with agave or simple syrup to taste. Serve on the rocks, with or without a salted rim. Simply perfect.
—Mark

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

The Naked and Famous, like the Last Word, Paper Plane and other equal parts cocktails are among the safest to order in bars where you don't know the bartender's skill. As long as they have the right ingredients, they can't get it wrong.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Michael Martin »

I ordered a Manhattan recently. How hard can it be to mix three ingredients? I found out. People can screw up almost anything.

I need to try the Naked and Famous though. I’ve had a bottle of Mezcal sitting in the liquor cabinet trying to figure out what to do with it.

Mike Cohen

#63 Post by Mike Cohen »

Michael Martin wrote: August 17th, 2021, 6:48 pm I ordered a Manhattan recently. How hard can it be to mix three ingredients? I found out. People can screw up almost anything.

I need to try the Naked and Famous though. I’ve had a bottle of Mezcal sitting in the liquor cabinet trying to figure out what to do with it.
I find a Manhattan to be very personal. There are some where the bar just doesn't have good ingredients. There are some where the bar has good ingredients, but not the type that I prefer (I like rye rather than bourbon). There are some where the bartender just messes up the ratios.

My own Manhattan

2oz Rittenhouse
.5oz Punt es Mes
.5oz Carpano Antica Formula
Couple of dashes of Miracle Mile Forbidden Bitters
Garnish with Griottine Cherry

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

That's why equal parts cocktails work so well - you can't screw up the ratios.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Michael Martin »

Oxidized vermouth can make anything taste bad.

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#66 Post by Jorge Henriquez »

Michael Martin wrote: August 17th, 2021, 6:48 pm I’ve had a bottle of Mezcal sitting in the liquor cabinet trying to figure out what to do with it.
A Oaxacan Old Fashioned is my go to when trying a new to me Mezcal.
ITB - Empire Merchants
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Al Ehrhardt

#67 Post by Al Ehrhardt »

Michael Martin wrote: August 18th, 2021, 7:32 am Oxidized vermouth can make anything taste bad.
And especially CHEAP oxidized vermouth. VERY few bars have a quality vermouth behind it.

Al Ehrhardt

#68 Post by Al Ehrhardt »

Mike Cohen wrote: August 18th, 2021, 6:40 am
Michael Martin wrote: August 17th, 2021, 6:48 pm I ordered a Manhattan recently. How hard can it be to mix three ingredients? I found out. People can screw up almost anything.

I find a Manhattan to be very personal. There are some where the bar just doesn't have good ingredients. There are some where the bar has good ingredients, but not the type that I prefer (I like rye rather than bourbon). There are some where the bartender just messes up the ratios.

My own Manhattan

2oz Rittenhouse
.5oz Punt es Mes
If the bartender doesn't seem to be into cocktails, or it's a shot and a beer bar, it's probably wiser to just get a bourbon or rye, neat or on the rocks. If the bar is not busy, and the bartender doesn't seem to be a jerk, I've asked how they make a Manhattan, what vermouth they have, and ask for adjusted quantities. ALWAYS specify the bourbon or rye based on what they have.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Michael Martin »

Ok, I tried the naked and famous last night…heavy on the mezcal smoke…still searching for a good use of the almost full bottle of mezcal.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Michael Martin »

Al Ehrhardt wrote: August 19th, 2021, 7:30 am

My own Manhattan

2oz Rittenhouse
.5oz Punt es Mes
If the bartender doesn't seem to be into cocktails, or it's a shot and a beer bar, it's probably wiser to just get a bourbon or rye, neat or on the rocks. If the bar is not busy, and the bartender doesn't seem to be a jerk, I've asked how they make a Manhattan, what vermouth they have, and ask for adjusted quantities. ALWAYS specify the bourbon or rye based on what they have.
I have seriously been places, not shot and beer type, but a little higher end where the bartender couldn’t make a Manhattan. Then I usually ask for what they are most proud to make. The responses are interesting.

Joe Chanley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Joe Chanley »

Hopefully heading to https://www.oldtowntequila.com/ this week.

Sounds like vago, leyenda, Jolgario and maguey are good producers to check out. Any specific recommendations would be awesome. Tequila too!

Thanks,
Joe

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Michael Martin wrote: August 19th, 2021, 10:39 am
Al Ehrhardt wrote: August 19th, 2021, 7:30 am

My own Manhattan

2oz Rittenhouse
.5oz Punt es Mes
I have seriously been places, not shot and beer type, but a little higher end where the bartender couldn’t make a Manhattan. Then I usually ask for what they are most proud to make. The responses are interesting.
Some places can’t make a Martini, actually most places.

JulianD

#73 Post by JulianD »

Joe Chanley wrote: August 21st, 2021, 7:42 am Hopefully heading to https://www.oldtowntequila.com/ this week.

Sounds like vago, leyenda, Jolgario and maguey are good producers to check out. Any specific recommendations would be awesome. Tequila too!

Thanks,
Joe
5 Sentidos, Rezpiral - both are committed to paying more to local mezcaleros and Rezpiral gives back 10% of its profits each year to the mezcal community to help build up infrastructure
Davies

B Beachy

#74 Post by B Beachy »

JulianD wrote: August 26th, 2021, 7:17 am
Joe Chanley wrote: August 21st, 2021, 7:42 am Hopefully heading to https://www.oldtowntequila.com/ this week.

Thanks,
Joe
5 Sentidos, Rezpiral - both are committed to paying more to local mezcaleros and Rezpiral gives back 10% of its profits each year to the mezcal community to help build up infrastructure
The 5 Sentidos I've had have all been amazing (especially the Sierra Negra, which is admittedly not for everyone). I've not had Rezpiral.
|3 0 |3 |3 `/

Mike Cohen

#75 Post by Mike Cohen »

B Beachy wrote: September 1st, 2021, 11:58 am

Thanks,
Joe
The 5 Sentidos I've had have all been amazing (especially the Sierra Negra, which is admittedly not for everyone). I've not had Rezpiral.
Why is the Sierra Negra not for everyone?

JulianD

#76 Post by JulianD »

Mike Cohen wrote: September 1st, 2021, 12:07 pm

It was, to me, a bit funky? Very earthy
Davies

B Beachy

#77 Post by B Beachy »

JulianD wrote: September 1st, 2021, 2:27 pm
Mike Cohen wrote: September 1st, 2021, 12:07 pm
It was, to me, a bit funky? Very earthy
It is funky for certain, in a barnyardy-way. I think it's one of the most complex and amazing spirits I've had, though. There is a lot going on, but the manure/barnyard notes can be off-putting to some.
|3 0 |3 |3 `/

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Kris Patten »

I need to open it, but have a water bottle of El Jolgorio dipped in the tank at cask strength I need to open and try.

A little scared of it.
ITB

Jeff Twersky

#79 Post by Jeff Twersky »

Another +1 for the Vago and 5 Sentidos recommendations.
I recently opened a Lalocura Tobala - really, really good.
I also like Mescalero. the 22 was excellent, and the 23 is not far behind.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”