Mezcal advice?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#1 Post by Nate Simon » March 14th, 2017, 10:44 am

Looking to expand my horizons a bit, and I'm wondering what people think of Mezcal. Does it offer anything particularly distinct from Tequila? Any brands or styles to look for?

Mike Cohen

Mezcal advice?

#2 Post by Mike Cohen » March 14th, 2017, 10:57 am

Nate Simon wrote:Looking to expand my horizons a bit, and I'm wondering what people think of Mezcal. Does it offer anything particularly distinct from Tequila? Any brands or styles to look for?
It's distinctly different from tequila (love both) with a very smoky profile. I use Del Maguey Vida for most cocktails and will occasionally sip a bit of Del Maguey's single vineyard bottlings.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Mezcal advice?

#3 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 14th, 2017, 11:11 am

it's NOTHING like tequila - I love it in cocktails. Perhaps my favorite spirit nowadays, for making cocktails
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Nolan E

Mezcal advice?

#4 Post by Nolan E » March 14th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Mike Cohen wrote:
Nate Simon wrote:Looking to expand my horizons a bit, and I'm wondering what people think of Mezcal. Does it offer anything particularly distinct from Tequila? Any brands or styles to look for?
It's distinctly different from tequila (love both) with a very smoky profile. I use Del Maguey Vida for most cocktails and will occasionally sip a bit of Del Maguey's single vineyard bottlings.
Lots of artisanal producers are forgoing the fire roasting process so a lot of them are not smoky. I wish I had more info but I went through a mezcal phase a couple of years ago and forgot a lot of what I know.

Keep in mind: some mezcals (anything labeled 'pechuga') use meat in the process.

I really liked the Mezcal Vago Elote which uses unfermented roasted corn in the distillation process. I killed my last bottle a year ago but don't remember it being smoky.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Bill Buitenhuys

Mezcal advice?

#5 Post by Bill Buitenhuys » March 15th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Like most anything else, there is good mezcal and crap mescal. Avoid the bottles with the scorpions on it or in it. Del Maguey is probably the best known for quality across the portfolio. The blended Vida and all of their single village designates that I've had are wonderful. Montelobos, Vago, Pierde Almas, Ilegal all have great mescal expressions. Fidencio is smoke-free...tasty but more similar to tequila in that respect. The cool thing about mezcal is that it is made from a variety of agave plants (not just blue agave...most are espadin but try others like tobala, tepeztate, tobasiche..the list goes on and on) so you can start to understand varietal traits and regional characteristics on top of the impact of different production methods.
itb | @AZBittersLab

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#6 Post by Joe B » March 15th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Stay away from it.
J W@ll @ce
WOTY
2009 Shafer Hillside Select 98
2013 Realm To-Kalon 97

Mike Cohen

Mezcal advice?

#7 Post by Mike Cohen » March 15th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Nolan E wrote:
Mike Cohen wrote:
Lots of artisanal producers are forgoing the fire roasting process so a lot of them are not smoky. I wish I had more info but I went through a mezcal phase a couple of years ago and forgot a lot of what I know.

Keep in mind: some mezcals (anything labeled 'pechuga') use meat in the process.

I really liked the Mezcal Vago Elote which uses unfermented roasted corn in the distillation process. I killed my last bottle a year ago but don't remember it being smoky.
Nolan,

This past summer my wife and I were grabbing some oysters and a cocktail after work in NYC. I made a comment to the bartender about Mezcal and he immediately took and interest in us as he was a big fan. He poured us tastes of several mezcals including the Vago Elote which I found excellent and very distinctive.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Mezcal advice?

#8 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 15th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Vida is my favorite for cocktails, by far - Don Amado Reposado is the best Mezcal I've had, but still can't get into sipping it quite yet. I'm close, but still prefer Mezcal in cocktails. Combining with Passion Fruit, lemon juice, touch of agave, and a Tajin rim - SO GOOD.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#9 Post by Nate Simon » March 16th, 2017, 11:03 am

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. I'm mainly interested in something that is distinctive on its own, not as a mixer. I notice that like Tequila, there are young and aged versions. I usually prefer "silver" Tequila for its straightforward agave character, unaffected by oak. I'm guessing I'd want to aim for "joven" Mezcal then?

ybarselah

Mezcal advice?

#10 Post by ybarselah » March 16th, 2017, 11:40 am

check out the lines from mezcal vago and the higher end/ single village bottlings from del maguey - both are generally available and they get very unique.

one of the coolest ones i currently have is mezcal vago's blancy y negra which includes some rarer sub-varietals of agave. superb and unique drink and as complex as the best whiskeys.

http://www.masmezcal.com/mezcalvago/mez ... co-y-negra
Yaacov (ITB)

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Mezcal advice?

#11 Post by Jorge Henriquez » March 17th, 2017, 9:32 am

Just picked this bottle up. My first ever purchase (although I've had many a cocktail/taste of others before and I'm officialy a convert). Can't wait to try it.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#12 Post by Craig G » March 17th, 2017, 9:51 am

Jorge, can you translate that quotation on the label into English for us?
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#13 Post by RyanC » March 17th, 2017, 9:56 am

I drink a lot of the Del Maguey single villages, and often find myself reaching for mezcal instead of scotch or bourbon. I love the smokiness, the citrus, the lightness, the complexity, etc. I like Vago Elote too and want to expand my horizons, although availability can be challenging.
C@ughey

Nolan E

Mezcal advice?

#14 Post by Nolan E » March 23rd, 2017, 8:50 pm

Sitting at a bar for dinner tonight I saw the lineup of Alipus.

They do different regional versions of mostly espadin but do have some blends/different varieties. It would be fun to sip a few different versions in the same night to compare (which I'm pretty sure I've done before...).
ITB
Nolan Ellis

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal

#15 Post by dcornutt » April 9th, 2017, 12:49 pm

I was introduced to this recently and am now on the lookout for some really nice sipping Mezcals.

I have a wild Cruixe from El Jolgario. Delicious stuff.
You have to like the slightly smoked and peaty delivery versus tequila but I find these much more interesting than tequila.

Any folks out there like these?
Any favorites?
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal

#16 Post by RyanC » April 9th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Love Mezcal.

I'm not an expert, but we drink a lot of Del Maguey Chichicapa at home. Really complex and delicious. Love the fruit, salt, and smoke.
C@ughey

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#17 Post by dcornutt » April 9th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Sorry I started a separate thread up above. If they can be fused here by the moderators glad to piggy off this one.

I can tell you the entire lineup by El Jolgario is supposed to be incredible. I have only tried the Wild Cruixe. All based on different agaves but not really different techniques. Not cheap. Looks like $80 to 140 is the price range for the really good stuff. Much more interesting to me than tequila.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#18 Post by Thomas Keim » April 14th, 2017, 3:03 pm

I am a big fan of the FIDENCIO Mezcal - as good as I have sampled -

http://www.fidenciomezcal.com/
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#19 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » July 9th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Gracias a Dios baby!

http://www.thankgad.com/

Of course, I sell the stuff.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#20 Post by Kris Patten » September 1st, 2017, 9:11 pm

Xicaru, El Jolgorio, and Marca Negra all worth trying. Xicaru for your cocktail fix.
ITB

Jeff Twersky

Mezcal advice?

#21 Post by Jeff Twersky » September 14th, 2017, 6:47 am

Kris Patten wrote:Xicaru, El Jolgorio, and Marca Negra all worth trying. Xicaru for your cocktail fix.
Kris, where would I find El Jolgorio in Seattle? I haven't seen it anywhere (other than in a few restaurants).

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Mezcal advice?

#22 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 20th, 2017, 11:43 am

Had a cocktail class at The Mixing Glass last night, featuring Mezcal, and with a presentation by Judah Kuper of Mezcal Vago. Wow, fantastic stuff, wonderful story. A whole new world of Mezcal, truly. Bought a bottle of Elote, and the Paranubes rum which was otherwordly good - unlike ANY rum I've ever had.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#23 Post by George Hejna » November 12th, 2017, 9:39 am

Have recently enjoyed Siete Misterios - Tobala. http://www.sietemisterios.com/en/tobala/
and I enjoy Illegal Mezcal there Banjez Joven is great.

Heading to Mexico City for Thanksgiving in hopes to gain more knowledge... :)

George

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#24 Post by George Hejna » November 23rd, 2017, 2:38 pm

Highly recommend anything from here. http://mezcalgarrafas.com/home/

Unsure if available in the states.

George

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#25 Post by Kris Patten » December 3rd, 2017, 4:03 pm

Jeff Twersky wrote:
Kris Patten wrote:Xicaru, El Jolgorio, and Marca Negra all worth trying. Xicaru for your cocktail fix.
Kris, where would I find El Jolgorio in Seattle? I haven't seen it anywhere (other than in a few restaurants).
Probably need to special order it thru a store. Mostly a restaurant brand as retailers aren't willing to shelf much Mezcal.

Been looking at Los Javis lately, may bring that to WA, good people, own the land, good product.
ITB

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#26 Post by George Hejna » December 4th, 2017, 2:56 pm

When I was in Mexico City they recommended that I try the mezcal with orange slices and sal de guasano. They said this is how you traditionally drink it. I was thinking it was like Cuervo with lime and salt but it couldn't be more different. It really complements the mezcal. We were drinking some pretty high end stuff and it IMO is the way to go.

Give it a try.

http://granmitla.us

George

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Mezcal advice?

#27 Post by Todd F r e n c h » December 4th, 2017, 4:35 pm

George Hejna wrote:When I was in Mexico City they recommended that I try the mezcal with orange slices and sal de guasano. They said this is how you traditionally drink it. I was thinking it was like Cuervo with lime and salt but it couldn't be more different. It really complements the mezcal. We were drinking some pretty high end stuff and it IMO is the way to go.

Give it a try.

George
According to the folks at Mezcal Vago, the locals in Oaxaca drink it straight, room temperature, at full strength.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#28 Post by George Hejna » December 4th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Next time you are out here. I will show you. Trust me on this one.

George

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mezcal advice?

#29 Post by John Webber » December 25th, 2017, 7:58 am

I always sip it strait with an orange slice on the side with a little guasano salt on it.

My current favorites:

Cuish Tobaziche;
Mezcal Real Minero Espadin; and
Rey Campero Tepextate.

EHeffner

Mezcal advice?

#30 Post by EHeffner » April 29th, 2018, 10:10 am

Anyone try the Casamigos Joven? Starting to see bottles in my area. Would’ve bought but price is making me hesitate at $59.99
E v a n

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Mezcal advice?

#31 Post by Jorge Henriquez » April 29th, 2018, 10:27 am

$60 for a joven?!?! Ouch.

That’s called the Clooney mark up.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

JulianD

Mezcal advice?

#32 Post by JulianD » May 17th, 2018, 11:19 pm

Been working on some Alipus mezcal - pretty good
Davies

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Mezcal advice?

#33 Post by RyanC » September 24th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Drinking Del Maguey Arroqueno right now. Brilliant and complex. Perhaps my favorite of the Del Maguey single villages I've had. Apparently a 350-bottle limited edition.
C@ughey

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by NED VALOIS » September 24th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Have bond money ! [snort.gif]

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by RyanC » January 31st, 2019, 12:01 pm

Picked up a bottle of Jolgorio ‘Cuixe’ on Don’s rec.

While at the flagship Spec’s here I noticed an explosion of high-end Mezcal. Probably close to 10 different producers making $100+ bottlings. Would love other recommendations for producers to try.
C@ughey

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Peter Petersen » February 15th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
December 4th, 2017, 4:35 pm
George Hejna wrote:When I was in Mexico City they recommended that I try the mezcal with orange slices and sal de guasano. They said this is how you traditionally drink it. I was thinking it was like Cuervo with lime and salt but it couldn't be more different. It really complements the mezcal. We were drinking some pretty high end stuff and it IMO is the way to go.

Give it a try.

George
According to the folks at Mezcal Vago, the locals in Oaxaca drink it straight, room temperature, at full strength.
Yes, you drink it straight, the orange slices (or cucumber slices) with sal de guasano are on the side.

I need to find some good Mazcal locally, I've only bought in MX both retail and from a friend who is in the business.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by George Hejna » February 24th, 2019, 11:24 am

I found it both ways in Mexico. With the oranges/sal de guasano or without. It is also very good with chapulines on the side.

caskers.com has a very good selection of Mezcal. They certainly aren't the cheapest though.
They have the limited edition Leyenda Mezcals. Stupidly expensive but really quite amazing if you appreciate Mezcal.

George

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#38 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 24th, 2019, 11:54 am

George Hejna wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 11:24 am
I found it both ways in Mexico. With the oranges/sal de guasano or without. It is also very good with chapulines on the side.

caskers.com has a very good selection of Mezcal. They certainly aren't the cheapest though.
They have the limited edition Leyenda Mezcals. Stupidly expensive but really quite amazing if you appreciate Mezcal.

George
And they are AMAZING (thanks, George, for the tastes!)

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by George Hejna » February 24th, 2019, 1:52 pm

The way I felt the next morning. I think we had a little more than a taste.

champagne.gif [snort.gif]

Tyler Berry

#40 Post by Tyler Berry » March 4th, 2019, 10:23 pm

I've only had the Leyenda Oaxaca, but I would love to get in to their other offerings. I'm strongly considering a Mezcal-heavy trip to Mexico during the next couple of years.
Sommelier
CMS Certified

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by K John Joseph » March 5th, 2019, 8:35 am

George Hejna wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 11:24 am
I have a huge portion of my Dad's family that are Mexican nationals in Monterrey and DF. A decent number came here to get MBAs and have settled. Most enjoy Mezcal and Tequila but prefer good Tequila. They drink it neat with an orange slice sprinkled with cinnamon. The combination of scents and flavors is really lovely. Give it a shot. It's perhaps a hair more refined than sal de gusano.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Peter Petersen » March 13th, 2019, 11:44 am

This is the best Mezcal I have tried so far:

IMG_1349 2.jpg

bscott

#43 Post by bscott » June 21st, 2019, 6:20 pm

Go to cocktail for me is a Del Maguey Santo Domingo Old Fashioned.

2 oz. mezcal
1/4 oz simple syrup
angostura and mole bitters

For mixinng Vida is most used. Though I like Del Maguey Minero for mixing too.
Brian

Mike Rodgers

#44 Post by Mike Rodgers » July 6th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Nolan E wrote:
March 14th, 2017, 4:36 pm
Mike Cohen wrote:

If it is not roasted its not mezcal. Mezcal is smoky ......
[cheers.gif] champagne.gif

Otto Dobre
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Otto Dobre » July 7th, 2019, 7:30 pm

I love to get Mezcal cocktails, and they are the rage here in San Diego. Like the mules a few years ago. Was tempted by Clase Azul, but the $220 price tag dissuaded me from getting one.

JunoS

#46 Post by JunoS » July 11th, 2019, 7:56 pm

The MarcaNegra releases of mezcal seem super cool

Lots of organic local small batch craft mezcal!

Not to mention a cool bottle with a dark handprint
S o n g

Return to “Beer and Spirits”