Which Scotch distilleries are firing on all cylinders?

I adore single malt Scotch. But I’m a relative beginner and it seems that, more often than not, I read about an exalted distillery that is no longer performing up to historical standards (e.g., Ardberg, Macallan, Springbank…). To me, the Scotch world does seem to be a (highly rewarding yet frustrating) minefield. I’d love to hear opinions about which distilleries with relatively wide distribution are at the top of their game.

Kilchoman
Isle of Arran

Look for Gordan Mcphail single bottlers.

I wonder why you would put Springbank in your example? It is on the spot IMO ( I’ve been in the scotch world for 15 years now) for most bottling. MacAllan have fallen to the greedy part of the market with their NAS lineup and I have deleted the distillery from my buy list as they are just a bad QPR. If you can get an 18 it is superb. Arberg ain’t that bad since Luis Vuitton bought the place but pricier each year.

Top Glendronach (Revival Bottling in peticular) are nice if you like the Sherry finish.

Stay away from Bruichladdich as the boat steers the wrong way since they were bought by Cointreau. If you can grad older bottle jump on them.

It is hard to point you in the right direction as you don’t provide styles you like.

That being said there are gems in the G&M bottlings and Douglas Laing The Old malt Cask bottling also.

hope this helps

Yeah, Springbank was a weird throw in, our liquor guy says that it’s his #1 distillery for QPR and overall quality.

I know this isn’t really an answer to your question, but I’ve found more success across an independent bottler’s range than I typically do a distillery’s range. I heartily endorse the SMWS (Single Malt Whisky Society) as well as Cadenhead’s for independent bottlers. There are many other good ones out there, but those two are my favorite (especially SMWS, as they only do cask strength bottlings).

Now, to answer your question: this may be a surprise to some, but I’m loving what Aberlour is doing these days. Same with Laphroaig. Same with Springbank and Longrow.

Since Laddie was bought it is now my favourite distiller. While not cheap here the value you get in the bottle is top notch. ( I mean the 15 yrs is a big wow and the 18yrs is just insane).

I unfortunately left SMWS out because they dont deliver where I live snif snif. [soap.gif]

Bump. I want to grab a couple of bottles for the holiday. Anyone have any recent hits?

The above suggestions are still on target, I would say. If you can find the Springbank Local Barley 16, it is very nice. On the pricey side (retail around $200, according to a very cursory look), but priced in the correct range for its quality, in my opinion.

We buy mostly older bottles, but do still purchase occasionally from SMWS and Cadenhead, as well as Silver Seal, though that’s not available in the US.

Well, I just bought the Bowmore tempest VI, Lovely CS.

If you are in the budget and can find one (regular production but still), the Springbank 18yrs was one of the best I’ve had this year.

If not in the usual suspect:

• Talisker 10 (the easy to find and real nice single mal IMO)
  • Balvenie Caribbean cask ( if your into the sweeter malt)
  • Ardberg Uiegdail
  • Lagavulin 12 ( CS) or 16 or the DE (which I alwys found to be great)
    -Gelndronach 15 revival ( if you like the Sherry finish)

The rare to find

• Any special reserve Gordon and Macphail ( brown/copper tint) would be a hit as I have never tried one I did not like

Any preference in the flavor spectrum?

I would ditto the recommendations for Cadenhead’s - my experience with them is always good.

Also, I understand how we could have less esteem for say The Macallan for their NAS offerings. However, when we talk about age-statement single malt producers, and noting that 10 and 12 years is on the younger side for this category, how can we know right now if a distillery is at present firing on all cylinders?

Wouldn’t we have to wait 10, 12 - 15 or more - years to find out? Aren’t we just now finding out if the distillery was firing on its cylinders 12 years ago (and in the intervening years as it properly aged its whisky)?

That depends on what one means by “firing on all cylinders” Karl. When I ask what I am looking for is a distillery that has good quality stocks and blends them well to place items in the current market that are of excellent quality and priced appropriately. There’s a sort of built-in aging component to the question, but blending a final product is an important part of it, whereas you are referring to whether they are distilling at the top of their game.

Any particular Cadenhead’s bottlings that are worth finding? I’ve seen a few here locally. Prices around here for Cadenhead’s are on the high side for an independent bottler, about on par with the Exclusive Malts and a tick below the Duncan Taylor Octave line, with G&M, Signatory, Chieftain’s all a bit lower but the latter group seems a harrowing place to jump in as they have such wide ranges that it seems impossible to make an educated decision.

Balvenie [cheers.gif]

You can safely buy any Cadenhead’s bottling — just buy from a distillery you know you like or from one you’re interested in trying. Regardless, it will be a high-quality dram. Cadenhead’s are on the expensive side because they know what they’re doing (i.e.: know which casks are the good ones, and tend to bottle at cask strength).

Thanks Brian. Like I said, just found this at my LWS, hadn’t seen before so may be a newly acquired line in this area.

concur.

An even higher price point, and products of often remarkable quality, are the Samaroli bottlings.

You’re lucky if it is, Mich@e1. of all the independent bottlers you named, I’d place Cadenhead’s at the top of that list. I will say, however, that Signatory is pretty damn good considering they tend to water-back their selections — nonetheless, that is a deal-breaker for me these days.

It’s one of Scotland’s top two distilleries, why would it be a “weird throw in”?

Weird to throw it into the group that it is “no longer performing up to historical standards.”

Too much Bourbon and Gin talk, no one wants to talk about Whiskey?

Not Scotch, but has anyone tried Yellow Spot Irish?

Actually had a conversation about Yellow Spot with my mom yesterday (they recently returned from Dublin and tasted through the portfolio).

Yellow Spot is wonderful. It’s really malty, wonderfully smooth, and carries a nice creamy nutty malt note through the finish. Lovely stuff. Reminds me to some degree of a maltier nuttier Dalmore 15. Worthwhile purchase, great addition to the home bar. I would rather have Yellow Spot than Redbreast 15.