Is the West Coast IPA Dead ?

Interesting perspective and observations. Thoughts hop heads ? You guys who know and have drank with me probably could guess what my answer is [wow.gif]

Cheers,

Bud

No way. Sales are still heavily skewed to west coast style. Even the more popular session ipa’s have that piney west coast feel.

To me the IPA issue is like Chinese food. You like what you’re used to. To me, the Vermont style IPA’s are the standard bearer and the West Coast stuff is so bitter. But that’s because I’m an East Coast guy who skis in VT all the time. Same thing with oysters…give me a briny East Coast oyster over a sweet, creamy West Coast oyster all day long.

More people live in the NE US, so ratings of course will be higher for IPA’s from that region. Sort of a stupid video.

More people live in Vermont and Maine than California? If you count cows and lobsters you might be right…

Pliny is probably still the most sought after beer for ppl that don’t know beer. I think among craft beer lovers there is a big shift toward more breweries brewing the NE style. Even within the haze world the style is so different. But heady topper, hill farmstead. Those IPAs have been at the top of lists for years. This isn’t new. That style has been loved for a long time, rightfully so.

Just like in the wine world we see a shift to softness, bLance and sleekness on the palate. The shift from the hyper aggressive bitter hop west coast IPA to the soft juicy complex ne style is only natural.

So population density drives ratings ? Because for years that same region was known as an IPA/DIPA wasteland until the new breed came in and changed the landscape for better or for worse.

Cheers,

Bud

Funny. Try adding NY, PA, NJ, CT, MA…

More votes for styles they are familiar with. C’mon, that’s easy man.

Then if your theory is right then I would think that India or China would have the highest rated IPAs right ?

Cheers,

Bud

Actually in the overall time frame of craft beer Charlie the" NEW " NE style is a relativelynew animal, just a few years ago if you mentioned east coast IPA you would hear these descriptors, malty,sweet, unbalanced, and boozy, these “new” NE beers are not that old at all. The beer that most people credit as the true driver for the unfiltered hazy juicy NE style IPA/DIPA craze, Heady Topper, didn’t see a can until 2011, though its been around a bit longer, and by the way John Kimmich’s favorite beer… yup,Pliny The Elder. More importantly what I fear for craft is what happened to wine thanks to Parker, myopic label/style chasers, I fear that more than anything. I am however baffled by your Pliny remark, Kimmich, Sean Hill and a slew of others would disagree, me included.

Cheers,

Bud

If you define west coast IPAs by shitty beers like Hop Stoopid those extremes are not the norm. What makes west coast IPAs so fun is the easy access to hops. 99% of the country’s hops are grown in Washington, Oregon, or Idaho.

Here in Portland brewers are experimenting with hops which are only available locally (for now). Lots of experimentation going on that’s tough to replicate elsewhere.

The Portland Fresh Hops festival is Friday and Saturday. You can hate us or join us.

I agree with everything he says.

West Coast IPA will never die; there’s no substitute for it. And the NE style is most definitely faddish right now.

And I would argue that the NE style, while absolutely delicious, is aggressively soft, simple, easy to understand and like, and not as drinkable as the West Coast style. It’s all a matter of perspective and preference. :slight_smile:

p.s.: I think this Highland Park DIPA is excellent, and agree with your characterization of it being a hybrid of the West Coast and NE styles. I would buy the hell outta this if it were about half as expensive … as it is priced, however, this is an occasional treat for me. Thanks again for getting me the 4-pack. [drinks.gif]

No. you misinterpret what I said. I’m saying west coast IPA isn’t dead. The most popular beers among non craft beer geeks are west coast style IPAs.

Also five years is a long time in a relatively new burgeoning market that is craft beer.

with any hobby label chasing occurs. Pliny is probably the longest running label chase in craft beer self created by the Brewery. I know how you feel about lines for beer but with every growth in an industry more people join in and more people want.

I wish people weren’t buying burgundy at the level they are now. I used to buy stuff for 20% of current value.

Hello,
I mostly lurk over here but I wanted to ask a few questions.

I live in Bellingham WA and for a smaller town we have a fair number of breweries. There is one that has been open about a year called Structures and they are making some very good beer. They have an IPA style where all the hops are added at flame out and whirlpool, no bittering hops early in the boil. Lots of dry hopping. The beer is cloudy, They use a British ale yeast with low floculation and don’t filter, on purpose. Their grain bill often includes flaked oats or wheat for body. They are IPAs with IBUs of ~8, but full of hop flavor and aroma without too much bitterness. They are dry and not what I would consider malty. For me its a very great style that I love. Tremendous flavor without too much bitterness, but enough there to satisfy my wife who loves bitter beers. Previous to this style I prefered Belgians and beers driven on the yeast esters for flavor over super bitter IPAs. But these are so drinkable.

Is this similar to the New England style IPAs mentioned here? I unfortunately have not tasted Alchemist or Hill Farmstead but I wonder if this local microbrew is similar.

Yep. Pretty much the process, timing for hop additions vary, but the rest is pretty similar

Not for me. I’m sure i’m the outlier here, but I don’t really care for the NE style. They’re nice for a change of pace once in a while, but I’m a almost everyday West Coast drinker. I know a lot of guys here feel it’s just too bitter, but a nice balanced West coast IPA with limited malt is just so refreshing.

I don’t think you are as much an outlier as you may think. What do they say…everything in moderation champagne.gif

Cheers,

Bud

Marc, from what I see on their website and the beer descriptors I would say these guys are definitely inspired by the NE styled ales, plus they have a beer called haze maze…hello… Place looks great by the way.

Cheers,

Bud