Looking for some single malt advice

Over the past year or so I have been making a small foray into the world of single malts and buying bottles. I started with Glenfiddich 12, which was okay but obviously not anything wonderful. My next bottle was a Dalwhinnie 15, which was definitely better and nice enough but somewhat lacking in depth and complexity. I then picked up a bottle of the Macallan 10 Fine Oak and honestly it just felt sort of muddled and incomplete - which is too bad, because Macallan 12 is my go-to scotch while out and about. Finally, I just opened up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and while I can objectively appreciate the quality it is far more to the smoky/peaty end of the spectrum than I would prefer.

Now, that’s the bottles I have bought for myself. As I noted above Macallan 12 is my default when out and I genuinely like it as a reliable, everyday choice. I have also tried the Bunnahabhain 12 which was nice enough but verging on the peaty side, likewise the Laphroaig 10. Glenlivet 12 is on a similar level to the Glenfiddich, drinkable but a bit meh. It’s also worth sharing my experience at an amazing bar in Finland where I got to try some 16 year-old (unrecalled producer) finished in Sauternes casks, not to my taste, and a 25 year-old Aberlour at cask strength which was absolutely divine. However, I know that was not something likely to be repeated very often - especially since that Aberlour was the last short pour out of the bottle and they let me have it for 5 euros.

So, if I’m to sum up I suspect I lean more towards the highland style rather than Islay, low to no levels of peat and smoke, and more towards lighter bodied, smoother with aromatic complexity and more subtle flavors rather than power.

Suggestions under let’s say, $80? Start taking chances on some of those K&L specials?

Try the Glenmorangie range, lots of different bottlings that should have the complexity you are looking for while being lighter bodied

Maybe a bit bolder than you might like, but Highland Park 15 sounds right up your alley and you should be able to find it at that price. At a lower price I just found Glencadam 10 at Costco for $35. It is a very delicately flavored but easy drinking dram. Not the utmost in complexity but you might like it.

Balvenie 12 DoubleWood. I call it the poor man’s Macallan 18.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Obviously the Balvenie is widely available and I have also seen Glenmorangie a few places. I have not seen the Glencadam at Costco and I don’t recall seeing much Highland Park around either.

Balvenie 14 aged in rum casks is a favorite.

I would throw in a recommendation to try a lowland. Very different profile than highland or Islay, if you shun the heavy peat you may like the smoother more subtle style. Not many to choose from, I would recommend Auchentoshan 12 or 18.

This was going to be my recommendation.

This is my current favorite. Wade didn’t like that one finished in Sauternes cask, so I am not sure how he like the alternately finished products, but I love this Scotch.

I am quite intrigued by the lowland possibility, as some independent research also indicated that might be a style I would enjoy. Unfortunately it can be a bit hard to find.

Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Agree with the Glenmorangie range and the Balvenie doublewood.
I’ve always liked Oban 14. I don’t mind a Glenlivet 18.
I do tend to like sherry barrel finished whiskeys - I’m currently enjoying a Glendronach 12 and would love to get my hands on some more Abelour a’bundah. I’ve also got a Balblair 2000 open for when I wan’t something a bit lighter and cleaner
I’d be guessing on pricing, but would expect that you pay significantly less than what I have to in my market. A couple of those might be a bit harder to find too, but I think some should be easy to find

For the money, nothing beats Redbreast 12 year old.

I’m partial to Campbelltown (which mostly means Springbank). I find it less extreme than Islay (which I do like, within reason) but for me has more character, and holds more interest, than the Highland malts.

Try a Glendronach 12 or 15 y/o; both are sherried whiskies similar to Macallan. Another favorite of mine that I find superior to Macallan is Aberlour 16. The Aberlour may be a bit outside your budget, but I think it is well worth it.

Aberlour also makes a 12 y/o non chill filtered that is fantastic with a teaspoon of water.

Best of luck.

I second the Auchentoshen 12 and would also recommend a Springbank 10, which could be had around $60

I did not warm up to the Glenfiddish style. The Macallan is again not my style and find it over priced. I have tried their fine oak and also their sherry oak numerous times. I just cannot appreciate them.
From Speyside my favourite would be Glenfarclas 25 year old. And if you get your hands on the Glenfarclas 175th anniversary then its really nice.

The other favourites are Laphroaig and Highland park 18 year old.

Oban 14 year old also suits my palate.

+1 on the glendronach 15.

My favorite single malt now. I’d avoid the 18 which is way to sherried and the 21 which is too woody for my tastes.

Scott

Wade, I went to a steakhouse last night with a couple of work friends and tried the Lagavulin 16 before dinner. I found it hideously smoky, like they’d poured an ounce of Liquid Smoke in the bottle, or like extreme campfire smokiness. It really took away from any pleasure I might have found with the underlying whisky.

Scotch is about style. Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are both Speysides. So are Balvenie, Macallan, and Glenrothes, They’re what you see in most folks home, I suppose, and I’ve usually got some Balvenie of some sort on hand. They’re often lighter, smooth, have light caramel notes, next to zero peat, and some lovely floral aromas. That’s affected by barrels, but is my experience. Speysides are usually pretty user friendly, and a good foray into Scotchdom.

Islays, like Lagavulin, Laphroaig, by contrast, are often very peaty and smokey, with those, as opposed to fruit, caramel, or malt, the driving flavors. These are usually the most divisive of Scotches. They have next to nothing in common with Bourbon, are not fruit or caramelly malt driven, and ride iodine, peat, smoke, and earthy notes. I’m very partial to Lagavulin 16 (and had some on Wednesday evening), which I find wonderfully complex, but also acknowledge the peat and smoke is aggressive. If it’s not your bag, you’ll dislike it. I dislike drinking bourbon, so take that preference for what it’s worth.

Highlands give you your Oban, Glenmorangie, Ardmore, and Dalmore, and are, in my opinion, pretty strightforward balanced scotches that, if anything, lean a little more to caramel and vanilla notes. They’re also typically on the lighter end of the spectrum, though Dalmore is a very rich scotch with thick vanilla and caramel and can be extremely smooth. When aged in sherry or port casks Highlands remind me of scotch-themed bourbon. Very little peat and next to zero smoke in my experience.

There are some Lowlands, like Aucentoshan and Glenkinchie, but I can’t recall a damn thing about the ones I’ve had and don’t buy them. I’ll not speak to Lowlands.

There there are the Islands and Campbeltown. Campbeltown has Springbank and one other of note I can’t recall. I like Springbank okay. It’s pretty middle of the road, with some vanilla, light fruit, and nuttyness. Be worth a try, and from an obscure region that houses only a few distilleries of note.

Islands is unofficial. You’ll see “Islands” on some scotches. It’s not a recognized region, but I think it’s fairly distinct. It’s technically part of Highlands, but the scotches from Islands carry some Islay like notes as well, or at least some of them do. I think Highland Park is much more like Highland scotch than Islay scotch, but I think Talisker, which is my recommendation, is a wonderful balance of all things Scotch. The other big Island scotches are Scapa, Jura, and Ledaig. I think Talisker is the best of the lot, at least for $60.

It’s a neat blend of fruit, salinity, vanilla, malt, peat, and hints of smoke. It’s a very balanced scotch that captures the distinct nature of the drink and place.

I have to say the sweet barrel aged offerings are huge right now and I suppose have been for a while. Give them a try, on account of because. I am personally not always a fan because I like the differences between Scotch, say, and something sweet, caramelly, and loaded with Vanilla like even very, very good bourbon and tennessee. I like scotch because it isn’t usually sweet, cloying, or heavily laden with those notes. So take my comments for what they’re worth and, by all means, try around regions to find the style you like.

Thanks a lot for your summary, John; it will be very useful next time I buy a bottle, which I think will be Talisker, based on your recommendation.

I’m not a fan of Bourbon, either, preferring, in general, a dry whisky without too much oakiness.