Old Beer - Results

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Old Beer - Results

#101 Post by Robert M yers » March 31st, 2019, 6:23 pm

2013 Revolution Deth’s Tar. Really good, very young and vibrant with tons of carbonation left. Really tasted like a coffee stout, it’s very balanced and fine. A winner for aging here. I don’t think I’ve had a new vintage of this in the past few years either, maybe I should change that.
Last edited by Robert M yers on April 8th, 2019, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#102 Post by Robert M yers » April 8th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Posted in other beer thread but belongs here...

I’ve been stockpiling some Alvinne since 2013 and decided to pop this 2014 Alvinne Phi tonight. I haven’t visited these in awhile to let them get some age.
Incredible was my reaction tonight. When we first popped, it had tons of fine fine carb left and I might have mistaken it for a Middle Aged champagne. The carb settled down in minutes but always stayed and provided lift here to go with the sour. Pears on the nose, apples on the palate, with just A touch of caramel. Dry though, tart even tannic and never heavy beautiful stuff for 4.99!

Should have bought more, and that starts tomorrow

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#103 Post by Robert M yers » April 9th, 2019, 12:05 am

A7404371-101E-4BB4-8F17-20A1005AD81B.jpeg
Harviestoun Ola Dubh 18yr from 2014.

I’ve had a few of the lesser barrels of these and have been sometimes disappointed with aging to be honest. I’m not a scotch drinker as peat just hasn’t been my thing when it’s too prevalent. Interestingly tonight’s bottle had peaty barrel signature all over it and yet I found it super intriguing. Most of the other bottles have actually been fading on peat. Holding up well here though, carb decent here and a mid weight dark ale.

Liked this one a lot but in general I don’t think there’s much reason to age this series.
Attachments
CE31BA0E-4AB3-4535-BADC-3369FB1F756F.jpeg

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 9th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Agreed, Robert. I've a few older ones that I'm trying to drink up right now, as I think they're too old. I have a bottle from 2009 --- the 40 yo. I've been lazily trying to sell it, but think I'll likely just drink it instead.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Return to “Beer and Spirits”