Old Beer - Results

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

Old Beer - Results

#1 Post by Robert M yers » March 29th, 2016, 2:49 am

Thinking there should be an archive for beers that are treated with all the care of wine.

The beer that made me post:

2013 prairie bomb

After having the new release tonight of Sunday Morning Stout (awesome too) and being inspired of sorts to compare beers similar (KBS/similar) I popped open a 2013 prairie Bomb. Bomb is not coffee forward at this point but has morphed into a slightly more pepper like beer, its not hot, but wow there's a depth of something brewing under like a deep mole from topolobomco.

This particular bottle was targeted because the blue wax was just disinigratimg (naturally?) In this case the wax maybe wasn't doing anythng as the beer was among the best stouts I've ever had. Imperial Stout heaven really and a big step up complexity wise from the other beers. I hate Hot beers (love hot food) but this thing just burned right.

Who else is drinking Old Beer

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Old Beer - Results

#2 Post by Jorge Henriquez » March 29th, 2016, 4:13 am

Nice note Robert. I have a couple of things that I've been holding on to a few years now (including a bottle or two of '13 KBS). When I get around to opening one I'll remember to make a note and post it.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - Golden Vines
http://golden-vines.com/

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

Old Beer - Results

#3 Post by Robert M yers » March 29th, 2016, 6:41 am

Thanks Jorge and I'd like to hear what you think of the "old" KBS. SMS seems to be a Really good clone in a world of wanna bes.

Feeling good about the Bomb I popped:

2014 Prairie Apple Brandy Barrel Noir - Of all the barrel Prairie aged this was my absolute favorite to drink fresh. I didn't tAke a note at the time but I really thought the brandy made a killer finish on this beer. So at this point we have an awesome base beer with a diminished apple brandy finish. Still really good beer but probably better last year. Don't think this is one to hold.

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#4 Post by PaulMills » March 31st, 2016, 9:38 am

I opened a six year old Bells Expedition Stout a few weeks ago and it was fantastic. When they are young the coffee can be a little too much for me, but with age it smooths out. I need to buy some more.

Scott Butler

Old Beer - Results

#5 Post by Scott Butler » March 31st, 2016, 9:56 am

I have been drinking through a 12 pack of 2012 Goose island Bourbon County, it gets smoother each time I try it. Only a couple left.

I also have an Ommegang Three Philosophers I bought 4-5 years ago - I like them young but heard they age well, so I may open that up in the next year.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#6 Post by PaulMills » March 31st, 2016, 10:07 am

We have a bottle or two of the Three Philosophers also. And a five year vert of Chimay blue. All 750ml though which makes it difficult to do a tasting of all of them.

Scott Butler

Old Beer - Results

#7 Post by Scott Butler » March 31st, 2016, 10:15 am

I bet the Chimay ages well!

I tried to ago the Sierra Nevada limited edition series, but couldn't keep my paws off them.

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#8 Post by PaulMills » March 31st, 2016, 10:29 am

I am aging my Bourbon County for years. I also have some Westy I will be aging.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#9 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 1st, 2016, 1:50 pm

This reminds me I have a 4 or 5 year old Jolly Pumpkin standing up in my fridge right now. I think I know what I'll be drinking tonight!
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Mark C
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#10 Post by Mark C » April 1st, 2016, 2:53 pm

Most years I buy at least a 4-pack of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale, a barley wine style ale that is usually 9.6º or so and I have a vertical of at least one or two bottles from 2009 to present.

The old ones take on an intensity and depth of flavor that I really like, it is still a really big beer but the edges get rounder and the experience is more…sublime.
[cheers.gif]

Mark Cћамρηeγ

Wine Berserkers, “delight of the incapable and insignificant"!

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.” — Jay Bylsma

“Mark; I’ll surrender the argument.” Gordon Fitz

aka Frabjous/CT

GMcCarthy

Old Beer - Results

#11 Post by GMcCarthy » April 2nd, 2016, 7:53 am

For the BA type beers I have aged, I have found the base beer is often the best, rather than the variants, especially coffee. Saisons w/brett from producers like Transmitter and Boulevard do really well too. BCBS with about 3 years is probably my favorite. 2d would be Jack's Abby Framinghammer (Baltic Porter).
Greg McCarthy
itb:beer

Paul Fountain

Old Beer - Results

#12 Post by Paul Fountain » April 2nd, 2016, 9:07 pm

M Champney wrote:Most years I buy at least a 4-pack of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale, a barley wine style ale that is usually 9.6º or so and I have a vertical of at least one or two bottles from 2009 to present.

The old ones take on an intensity and depth of flavor that I really like, it is still a really big beer but the edges get rounder and the experience is more…sublime.
I don't find the Bigfoot too pleasant when young, but once it has had a while to settle down it is great.
I reckon the Narwhal benefits from a couple of years too although I like that as a young beer as well

Most of my older beers won't mean anything to anybody on here but I do have a bunch of local stouts aging. A couple of years back one of the breweries was selling 6 packs of 6 different vintages of their stouts. At 5 years old the 2009 was the best of the 6 pack.

Drew Goin

Old Beer - Results

#13 Post by Drew Goin » April 3rd, 2016, 7:43 am

I drank a few vintage bottles of Thomas Hardy, Sameklaus, and the "Golden Monkey" (I forget the brewery).

I really enjoyed the freshness of the "Golden Monkey".

BobH

Old Beer - Results

#14 Post by BobH » April 4th, 2016, 8:01 am

Golden Monkey is Victory brewing right here in PA.
hud@k

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

Old Beer - Results

#15 Post by Robert M yers » April 9th, 2016, 7:04 pm

Is anybody cellaring John Courage RIS? I have a six of 2011 & 12 but the 13 never showed up here for some reason, wondering if Its worth it to search out to keep it going. There are some 2012/13 with a glass combo packs, but I don't need 6 bad glasses (or more 2012).

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#16 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 10th, 2016, 12:01 am

You talking about this?

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

Old Beer - Results

#17 Post by Robert M yers » April 14th, 2016, 9:56 pm

Yep!

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#18 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 15th, 2016, 2:02 pm

I have six of those (2012) sitting in my cellar. For my preferences, it is a perfect or near-perfect beer.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

Old Beer - Results

#19 Post by Robert M yers » April 19th, 2016, 9:54 pm

Have you seen 2013 around?
I'm always surprised this beer gets no love, just not exciting enough without variants these days I guess.

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#20 Post by PaulMills » April 23rd, 2016, 4:55 pm

I have never seen the John Courage around here, I would love to try it some time.

Tom D

Old Beer - Results

#21 Post by Tom D » April 24th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Can beer age? Yep. We did a 2007-2015 (minus 2009) vertical of Deschuetes Abyss last night. The 2007 was slightly oxidized, but showing fantastic for an 8 year old beer. The 2008 was the beer of the night. The oak had mellowed, chocolate notes were coming to the forefront and no booziness from the 11%. It was interesting to taste the older beers against the newer ones and experience how the oakiness of the newer ones really strip the tongue in comparison.

So if you want to age beers, do it. Treat it like wine, but store them upright.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tom D e v l i n

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#22 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 25th, 2016, 1:21 am

Robert, I have not yet seen any 2013. But I could go buy more of the 2012 from multiple local retailers right now. Weird.

As for it not getting much attention: I am very o.k. with that, as long as the lack of interest doesn't cause it to no longer be imported!

BobH

Old Beer - Results

#23 Post by BobH » April 25th, 2016, 8:14 am

Scott Butler wrote:I bet the Chimay ages well!

I .
Yes it does. Very much so. Especially the Blue. And for many years.

As far as your comment on Three Philosophers, it also ages very well. For my taste, it peaks about 4 years of age. Someone who works at the brewery said that for his tastes it peaks twice- age 4 and age 9. I haven't really had them past age 5 or 6. So, I have a few from 2009 and I am waiting until they hit age 9 and give them another try to see if I agree.
hud@k

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

Old Beer - Results

#24 Post by Robert M yers » April 25th, 2016, 7:57 pm

That's a sweet vertical Tom, thanks for sharing the results as I don't think I've ever read one on Abyss.

Brian, good to know that the 13 maybe just isn't in the market, I was thinking we just got skipped over as its been well over a year since I've bought any. I'll have to inquire with someone.

William Segui
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Old Beer - Results

#25 Post by William Segui » April 26th, 2016, 9:18 am

I've had great results aging Speedway Stout variants.

Scott Butler

Old Beer - Results

#26 Post by Scott Butler » April 26th, 2016, 10:59 am

BobH wrote:

I .

As far as your comment on Three Philosophers, it also ages very well. For my taste, it peaks about 4 years of age. Someone who works at the brewery said that for his tastes it peaks twice- age 4 and age 9. I haven't really had them past age 5 or 6. So, I have a few from 2009 and I am waiting until they hit age 9 and give them another try to see if I agree.
Hmmm, interesting. Mine is 5, does that mean I should wait 4 more?

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#27 Post by PaulMills » April 28th, 2016, 6:15 pm

Tom D wrote:
Presumably you mean if they are sealed with a crown and not corked and caged. All my Chimay is on its side.

I was able to taste the Abyss while in Portland back in January, it just happened to be release day. I picked a bottle of each, I would have liked more but I already had a bunch of wine to bring home.

BobH

Old Beer - Results

#28 Post by BobH » April 29th, 2016, 8:02 am

PaulMills wrote:
Tom D wrote:
Presumably you mean if they are sealed with a crown and not corked and caged. All my Chimay is on its side.

I was able to taste the Abyss while in Portland back in January, it just happened to be release day. I picked a bottle of each, I would have liked more but I already had a bunch of wine to bring home.
No. Store all of your beer upright. Including ones that have cork and a cage. You store it just like champagne which should be stored upright as well.
hud@k

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#29 Post by PaulMills » April 29th, 2016, 8:21 am

Why is that? It has a cork like my wine, I always figured it needed to be stored laying down, I store my champagne the same. I would have room in my cellar if I stood of all.

BobH

Old Beer - Results

#30 Post by BobH » April 29th, 2016, 1:11 pm

I'm not sure why but I assume the higher pressure gives the air space high enough absolute humidity. Regardless, that is hiw they do it. I have seen Ommegangs long term aging cave and it is bottle up
hud@k

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#31 Post by PaulMills » May 1st, 2016, 4:26 pm

Since I don't have the storage space, I guess I will have to drink up.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#32 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 1st, 2016, 8:28 pm

BobH wrote:I'm not sure why but I assume the higher pressure gives the air space high enough absolute humidity. Regardless, that is hiw they do it. I have seen Ommegangs long term aging cave and it is bottle up
but Cantillon lays their bottles on the side, so ...

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#33 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 1st, 2016, 8:29 pm

2012 Sierra Nevada Imperial Stout Narwhal - USA, California, Central Valley, Butte County (4/30/2016)
Strong mineral tones mixed with typical roastiness of a Stout. Probably a year too old, for my preferences.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#34 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 1st, 2016, 8:33 pm

NV Jolly Pumpkin Biere de Garde Biere de Mars - USA, Michigan (4/30/2016)
-- bottled in February of 2014 --

This is on its downslope, for my preferences. Sourness is significantly toned-down from earlier in its life. Barrel influence, too, is hardly noticeable compared to in its youth. All that said, this is still a very nice beer, and I was happy to enjoy it at this point in its life.

BobH

Old Beer - Results

#35 Post by BobH » May 3rd, 2016, 9:54 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
BobH wrote:I'm not sure why but I assume the higher pressure gives the air space high enough absolute humidity. Regardless, that is hiw they do it. I have seen Ommegangs long term aging cave and it is bottle up
Yes they do, and I just read yesterday that it is recommended to lay sours on their side. So, [scratch.gif]
hud@k

TimF

Old Beer - Results

#36 Post by TimF » May 3rd, 2016, 10:15 am

Had Allagash Red and RR Supplication over the weekend. Both were bottled in 2012. Both were outstanding and nowhere near the end of life.
Tim F@itsch

Scott Butler

Old Beer - Results

#37 Post by Scott Butler » May 3rd, 2016, 10:21 am

BobH wrote:

I .

So, I decided to email the brewmaster at Ommegang, and here is his opinion:

"I don’t religiously taste cellared 3 Phils every year. That said I have had 8-9 year 3 Phils that drinks OK but not my favorite. I prefer it between 3-5 years."

Probably just a matter of taste, but I opened it last night and it was quite delicious at age 5.

BobH

Old Beer - Results

#38 Post by BobH » May 4th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Thanks for some good info, Scott. At our verticle tasting of 3 Philosophers 4 year old was my favorite. I have a nice stash in the cellar with two 2009s being my oldest. I am going to open them in 2018 or later and see what I think about older ones.
hud@k

Scott Butler

Old Beer - Results

#39 Post by Scott Butler » May 4th, 2016, 6:13 pm

Awesome, looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#40 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 7th, 2016, 1:29 pm

NV Jolly Pumpkin Biere de Garde Biere de Mars - USA, Michigan (5/6/2016)
-- blend 1 --
-- bottled 02/27/2013 --

This was much better than the bottle of 2014 I had last weekend. This presented with a nice, smooth tartness, and none of the aged/mineral characteristic of last week's 2014. Lovely beer.

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#41 Post by PaulMills » May 12th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Scott Butler wrote:
BobH wrote:

I .

So, I decided to email the brewmaster at Ommegang, and here is his opinion:

"I don’t religiously taste cellared 3 Phils every year. That said I have had 8-9 year 3 Phils that drinks OK but not my favorite. I prefer it between 3-5 years."

Probably just a matter of taste, but I opened it last night and it was quite delicious at age 5.

That was a fantastic bottle, thanks for bringing it.

BobH

Old Beer - Results

#42 Post by BobH » June 2nd, 2016, 8:58 am

I actually lay down my Cantillons, and realized this-

They use a traditional wine cork. Other beers that size use the cage and cork. Perhaps that is the difference?

So, I will lay down Cantillon, and still stand up the others.
hud@k

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#43 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 2nd, 2016, 1:10 pm

I lay anything with a cork on its side to prevent the cork from drying out. Crown caps remain standing whenever possible.

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#44 Post by PaulMills » July 2nd, 2016, 4:28 pm

We just finished off a 2013 Chimay Blue, it was fabulous.

Rob Isaacs

Old Beer - Results

#45 Post by Rob Isaacs » August 1st, 2016, 5:18 pm

First post here, thought this might interest people. 2003 Dogfish Head 120 min IPA (750ml, cork and cage). I bought two on release from their brewpub in Rehoboth Beach. Drank one of them that week and held the other until last October. I stored it laying down in my cellar at 57 degrees the whole time. 12 year old IPA. I was worried about the cork but there was no seepage and it came out in one piece!! It was the oldest beer I've ever had by far. Amazing how well it held up. Still carbonated but tiny, tiny bubbles. The hops melded into everything perfectly with an amazing balance of slight bitterness and sweetness with that really great aged profile. I wish I bought more, it would be great to have a few more of these around, seemed like it was in a good place and would hold there for quite a while. How great would it be to be able to try one of these at 20 years of age.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Old Beer - Results

#46 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 2nd, 2016, 6:30 am

Rob Isaacs wrote:First post here, thought this might interest people. 2003 Dogfish Head 120 min IPA (750ml, cork and cage). I bought two on release from their brewpub in Rehoboth Beach. Drank one of them that week and held the other until last October. I stored it laying down in my cellar at 57 degrees the whole time. 12 year old IPA. I was worried about the cork but there was no seepage and it came out in one piece!! It was the oldest beer I've ever had by far. Amazing how well it held up. Still carbonated but tiny, tiny bubbles. The hops melded into everything perfectly with an amazing balance of slight bitterness and sweetness with that really great aged profile. I wish I bought more, it would be great to have a few more of these around, seemed like it was in a good place and would hold there for quite a while. How great would it be to be able to try one of these at 20 years of age.
Fantastic! Did you plan from the get-go to lay one bottle down for that long, or did you just forget you had?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Rob Isaacs

Old Beer - Results

#47 Post by Rob Isaacs » August 2nd, 2016, 8:22 am

My plan was to hold one and see what would happen to it. Dogfish says that this would age well and I decided to find out. They were right! I was starting to get worried that I was waiting for to long but that wasn't the case. Not sure how aging this long would apply to other beers considering the size of this one, 15-18% abv, but with the right storage conditions I think it's worthwhile to keep some larger beers for longer than you think is acceptable. I they totally fall apart you aren't out that much, if they are great you are going to wish you had more.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Old Beer - Results

#48 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 2nd, 2016, 12:04 pm

Rob Isaacs wrote:First post here, thought this might interest people. 2003 Dogfish Head 120 min IPA (750ml, cork and cage). I bought two on release from their brewpub in Rehoboth Beach. Drank one of them that week and held the other until last October. I stored it laying down in my cellar at 57 degrees the whole time. 12 year old IPA. I was worried about the cork but there was no seepage and it came out in one piece!! It was the oldest beer I've ever had by far. Amazing how well it held up. Still carbonated but tiny, tiny bubbles. The hops melded into everything perfectly with an amazing balance of slight bitterness and sweetness with that really great aged profile. I wish I bought more, it would be great to have a few more of these around, seemed like it was in a good place and would hold there for quite a while. How great would it be to be able to try one of these at 20 years of age.
Welcome, Rob! I've always been interested in how this beer might age. Glad to hear it was still tasty! Did it strike you as a hoppy Barleywine, of sorts?

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Old Beer - Results

#49 Post by c fu » August 2nd, 2016, 12:15 pm

Welcome, Rob! I've always been interested in how this beer might age. Glad to hear it was still tasty! Did it strike you as a hoppy Barleywine, of sorts?
dogfish 120 is basically a hoppy barleywine
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Old Beer - Results

#50 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 2nd, 2016, 12:39 pm

Didn't even know that it was ever bottled in 750 under cork & cage! Never would have thought that any ort of hop character would remain in a 12 year old beer.

On Sunday I cracked my last Goose Island Gillian (2013). OMFG what an awesome, wine-y, tart, refreshing drink. So utterly complex and aromatic. So sad it was my last one.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - Golden Vines
http://golden-vines.com/

Return to “Beer and Spirits”