Sparkling Sake?

Was speaking with someone over the weekend and he told me that Sparkling Sake is becoming a big thing in Europe in high end restaurants for pairing?
Has anyone tried “Sparkling Sake” before? Any opinions?

I’ve had Zipang, it is very clean and refreshing, and goes down quite easy. My wife loves it, but she loves all things with bubbles - Champagne, sparkling mineral water, whatever.

I prefer a still Sake, especially a Nigori version. But Zipang is nice.

Hmmm looks like a soda bottle haha.
Thanks for some feedback!

Heading to Tokyo in a month.
Hopefully will have some good Sake while over there.

• 1 for the Zipang. It is crisp, dry and inexpensive. There are a good many Sparkling Sakes out there, though most of them are on the sweeter side. Zipang is a good find if you are looking for something dry, and since it’s from Gekkeikan should be relatively easy to purchase.

Another Sparkling Sake I would recommend is Tobiroku (Festival of Stars) by Dewazakura (in Yamagata prefecture). It is minimally filtered, receives secondary fermentation in the bottle, has good effervescence, is delicate, dry and highly quaffable. It’s a bit tougher to find than Zipang and costs more, but lovely stuff. I am a huge fan of Dewazakura. Everything they make is top-notch.

Please let us know how your trip went and if you discovered anything cool! Safe travels.

Cheers,
Veronica

Hi Veronica,

I just came back from Tokyo.
We were able to try some great Sake at a Sake bar called GEM by moto in Shibuya.
Small bar with great selection. We were able to try Aramasa brand and Jikon Junmai Ginjo.
I don’t think these are considered “Sparkling Sake” but they have a very slight carbonation taste.
Spectacular sake. I am going goo goo ga ga over sake now.

I was able to bring a bottle of Kamoshibito Kuheiji Junmai Ginjo home with me!

I really recommend the bar if ever visiting Tokyo. I believe they have 2 locations.

THANK YOU David! I am hoping to see about next year for Japan. I have a colleague leaving for a culinary tour of Japan on Thursday. I’ll be sure to pass your info on to him.
The Aramasa & Jikon sound delicious. We have a couple frizzante sakes that sound (kind of) similar. Thanks for the report!!
Best,
Veronica