Pliny vs Squatters Hop Risin?

For anyone familiar with both, please compare and contrast. Thanks.

squatters hop risin? what? why are the two comparisons even being made

Because they are both double IPA’s? Should I infer you consider Pliny to be clearly superior?

Personally I’m not a giant Pliny guy, I’ll drink it if its around but I won’t actively grab bottles of it. But Hop Risin sounds like your average run of the mill DIPA according to the CT for beer, beer advocate, that’s why I ask why the comparison is being made.

I had a couple of Pliny’s at Bouchon last year and really enjoyed them. I recently found the Squatters and like the style. For those of us that can’t get Pliny’s, I’ m looking for suggestions for top double IPA’s with national distribution.

Firestone Walker Double Jack (can be difficult to find fresh, check the date on bottle)
Stone Enjoy By
Stone Ruination 2.0
Lagunitas Sucks
Port Mongo (again check freshness)
Bear Republic Apex

Stone and Lagunitas have good distro but the rest are spotty. Sierra Nevada Torpedo, and frankly, the Sam Adams Rebel DIPA are decent examples of the style. Green Flash, Avery, Oskar Blues and Southern Tier all make pretty widely distributed hop bombs.

Stone EB

Thanks to all.

I don’t find Stone Enjoy By similar to Pliny at all, but maybe that’s just me. Granted has been a year or so since I have had either.

nothing alike. Stone goes for dank juice, Pliny goes for crisp bitter.

Random question for the Pliny owners out there. The brewery and the label for that matter state that it should be drunk while fresh and that means out to 8 weeks after bottling. I have bottles from October that I’m still drinking and I think they taste fantastic. Anyone have experience with just how long they’ll truly last. I’m wondering if I’d even like Pliny right of the line as it might be too hoppy for my taste.

Wow Jeb, that’s pretty old. I find PtE to fall off pretty quick, I try to drink any bottles I have within a month. I’ve had PtE at a couple months old and to me, nothing like when it’s fresh.

Do an experiment and set a bottle in the back of your fridge and set a calendar event to remember to drink it. I think they are good right now, but maybe I don’t know any better. haha.

I have had PtE that old, and agree that it tasted just fine, but never had any older, as far as I can recall.

depends if you prefer a maltier profile or a hoppier profile. I think PTE falls off kinda quick to me as it gets too malty (and i like soft profile IPAs).

I agree with the thoughts above. IMO Pliny is top of the List; EB, meh

Pliny ain’t what it used to be while everyone else has caught up in quality, flavor and distribution. I don’t think it’s possible to place any TIPA, DIPA or IPA on the top of a list. It’s an equal playing field and each brewery of that caliber has their workhorse. If you’re a beer geek you know who they are.

Carton 077XX is quite good for a citrusy DIPA and its local so you can get it fresh. Not sure what the distribution is into NYC but I live 20 mins away from Carton so it’s not an issue.

Would also second Firestone Walker double jack. Victory Dirtwolf is another one you should be able to find locally that is pretty good.

i did this by mistake once and opened a bottle maybe 5 weeks after purchase and it was already not fresh and VERY noticeably different than release. that said the bottles were purchased in SF on the day they were delivered to the store and i drank a few within 1 week - so they were maybe 11 or 12 days old at the time.