Better than Meyers Rum?

My girlfriend likes Meyers rum. Im not really a fan of rum but was thinking i could be. What is a really good rum. Meyers and captain morgan both seem sickly sweet to me. I would actually be willing to pay more than $15 a bottle if that helps.

Readily available:

Zaya and Zacapa

More interesting: Plantation Rhums from French islands and, especially, this:

Not an expert but this 5 year old plantation rum is excellent for the money. Super in all kinds of cocktails. http://m.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Spirits/Rum/Plantation/Plantation-Barbados-Rum/15453?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Don Pancho 18 year old rum is very, very good. There is a Don Pancho 30 year old, a bit too much for me.

Going to Binnys in a bit so i will see if they have any of these.

rhum barbancourt estate reserve, réserve du domaine
ESTATE RESERVE - AGED 15 YEARS

Yes please!!!

This! $35 for an amazing bottle of Rum right here!

Back in the early '80s we had friends doing field work in Haiti… they would come back to the states twice a year with trunks full of this and the 8-year 5 star.

Zaya is fabulous.

Agree with rec on Zaya, also love el dorado 12 yr old at an even better price…

Smith + Cross

My favorite for mixing. Incredibly pungent and full of character. I do drink it straight sometimes, but really have to be in the right mood!

El Dorado makes a 15 year old too that is to die for.

Agree with the Barbancourt recommendations. Also Appleton Estate. If you want something as dark as Myers, look for Gosling Black Seal (and get some ginger beer to make Dark and Stormy’s)

Well, i did make it to binnys but could not pull the trigger on anything because the wine sale. A couple of last of bins ended up at my house. But they had zaya and plantation rum which i am thinking of giving a go. Needs more research on my part.

Zaya is sweet-ish, with tobacco and molasses flavors, yet is still fresh.

Ron Barrilito 3 Star Rum

+1, especially if you can get PR pricing. I’ve seen the markup in the states over 100%.

Barbancourt and El Dorado 15. Buy them both!