Negroni Week (Pics, Recipes, Discussion, etc)

Since this is Negroni Week, I thought I’d break off a post from the Cocktail thread and put up some pics of last night’s kickoff event. Please feel free to post pics, recipes, discuss, etc.

[resizeableimage=579,1024]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Hm8z9pVCaQY/VW26llhUCOI/AAAAAAAAsME/2jl7JrsUSiM/s1701-Ut/IMAG0012.jpg[/resizeableimage]

[resizeableimage=579,1024]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SOv5TPJlowc/VW26lt--2TI/AAAAAAAAsME/_DfwtpX6BJk/s1701-Ut/IMAG0013.jpg[/resizeableimage]

the standout for me was Anu’s cocktail. The Ancho Reyes provided a nice depth to the drink.

I also really liked Ricky Gomez’ cocktail. The Cold Brew extended the finish and provided some acid.

Where was this event held?

Portland.

I’ve been loving playing with the Ancho. Great stuff.

Had a Kingston Negroni at Attaboy this weekend. Killer!

1 each Smith & Cross, Antica, and Gran Classico.

That sounds excellent. I love the “we haven’t cleaned our stills in decades” funk on Smith & Cross.

From my friend Tyler Hauptman of Fenrir in Portland

Can you give readers a few pointers for making your Scandinavian-inspired negroni?

I think the trick to it is this: all three of these ingredients are pretty sweet. What I do is I over-stir it a little bit just to dilute it a bit more than I usually would, and that balances out the sweetness. Then I serve it up with an orange twist.

I’d stress to people to keep their vermouth in the fridge. Vermouth is a wine and it will spoil, which most people don’t realize. Once you open it, it will start to deteriorate. Also, a good rule of thumb when making cocktails is if it has citrus in it, you shake it. If it doesn’t have citrus, you stir it. So with the negroni, it’s all liquor, so you just stir it.

Scandinavian-Inspired Negroni

1 oz. Brennivín

¾ oz. Aperol

¾ oz. Carpano Antica Formula Vermouth

Orange twist

Directions: Stir together ingredients in a mixing vessel with ice and strain. Serve up with an orange twist.

Had a decent one at a local place, JCT, today- Four Roses, Punt e Mes and Campari. A little heavy and not overly complex but certainly a decent effort.

I was pleased visiting my barely 21 year old goddaughter that although a vegetarian, and her mother drinks ONLY Michelob Ultra (lovely lady otherwise), she loved Negronis and we tried several variations

Tried an experiment this week using coconut arrack (Sri Lankan…not Batavia) as the base spirit with sweet/bitter/orange modifiers of Bigallet China China and Cappelletti Aperitivo filling in for Campari and sweet vermouth.

First stir gave me a hint of cocoa so I added a dash of mole bitters and it all came together nicely.

Even though I was shooting for a Negroni variant, I’m not sure I’d call it that, but it was lovely.

My best ever was Cocchi, Tanqueray export and Nardini.

I’m a traditionalist, no Aperol for me. I once ordered a version with Mezcal in, foul.

Wanted to ask what the opinions on Aperol vs. Campari, though I’m afraid Russell will pounce on me :wink:

Maybe the best Negroni I’ve had was at the Modern in NY City, and they use Aperol.

Try using Leopold Bros Aperitivo. More like Campari used to be than Campari is now. Uses cochineal for color.

I’m not much of a fan of Aperol as it is sweeter and less bitter than Campari. Mo bitter, mo better.

These were very good:

that’s a gorgeous shot, Mark!!

can’t wait for the next batch to get out into the wild.

The photographer is almost as good as the creator.

Doug Derrick is now making amphorae aged Negroni

Thanks for the update Paul, need to get out and enjoy some of these beautiful creations.

the one I just drank was aged in three separate glass containers and only combined at the last second in a vigorously stirred stainless steel container! it was quite good…