Dark Lord Day

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Post Reply
Message
Author
Steve Crawford
Posts: 1065
Joined: August 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Location: NC

Dark Lord Day

#1 Post by Steve Crawford » April 18th, 2015, 11:30 am

Any berserkers attending dark lord day? ill be visiting chicago and attending dark lord day next week. bringing some RR sours and other offerings.

Brad Walden
Posts: 254
Joined: February 26th, 2009, 10:46 am

Dark Lord Day

#2 Post by Brad Walden » April 26th, 2015, 7:05 am

How was it? Looked like it was a bit wet!

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6128
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Dark Lord Day

#3 Post by Mel Hill » April 26th, 2015, 12:41 pm

My nephew was there and dropped his 4 DLs in the parking lot but did not drop the variant he won.
sure was raining for most of the morning and mid-day...

C Janko
Posts: 512
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 4:19 pm
Location: Atlanta

Dark Lord Day

#4 Post by C Janko » April 26th, 2015, 2:46 pm

Did they replace the 4 he dropped? Did that once with a 6-pack of bud light and liquor store gladly replaced!
Chris

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6128
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Dark Lord Day

#5 Post by Mel Hill » April 27th, 2015, 5:28 am

he was outside the gates so no replacement on Saturday. he is ITB so there is a chance maybe....

User avatar
TimF
Posts: 4020
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Dark Lord Day

#6 Post by TimF » March 5th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Anyone here going this year? I got tix in group A.
Tim F@itsch

S.Homewood
Posts: 58
Joined: September 9th, 2014, 11:43 am
Location: Chicago Burbs

Dark Lord Day

#7 Post by S.Homewood » March 11th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Anyone want to buy a bunch of old DL? I have 2009 -> present.
$ t e v e H 0 m e w 0 0 d

User avatar
C Paunicka
Posts: 69
Joined: November 15th, 2012, 3:30 pm
Location: Indianapolis,IN

Dark Lord Day

#8 Post by C Paunicka » March 14th, 2016, 7:22 am

I'll be going to DLD, Group D. 3 years and counting....
Christine

User avatar
Andy Skaggs
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14
Joined: December 12th, 2013, 12:22 pm
Location: Indiana

Dark Lord Day

#9 Post by Andy Skaggs » March 19th, 2016, 7:27 am

I am going this year.

User avatar
TimF
Posts: 4020
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Dark Lord Day

#10 Post by TimF » April 30th, 2016, 4:06 pm

I had a good time at the festival today despite the rain. I sold my variant bottle on the spot for the price admission without any hesitation. Even though I'm not a death metal guy I kind of enjoyed some of the music. My buddy was the first guy to get denied a bottle of hot sauce so I guess that was the only real negative on the day. Very fun/interesting experience...
Tim F@itsch

Ed Kurtzman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 683
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 10:10 pm

Dark Lord Day

#11 Post by Ed Kurtzman » April 30th, 2016, 5:25 pm

When I saw the title to this thread, my first thought was that Voldemort the winemaker, my least favorite person in the wine business, was having a release day. Then I realized what this was about. As Emily Litella would say, "Nevermind."

Carry on, Dark Lords . . .

User avatar
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP
Posts: 3583
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 2:34 am
Location: Ugijar (GRANADA) Spain and Dayton, Ohio

Dark Lord Day

#12 Post by Nola Palomar » April 30th, 2016, 9:07 pm

Yea, me too, except I still don't know what they are talking about. newhere
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain


Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7511
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Dark Lord Day

#13 Post by Scott Butler » May 1st, 2016, 5:51 am

Nola Palomar wrote:Yea, me too, except I still don't know what they are talking about. newhere
HAHA! Dark Lord is a hard to get beer from Three Floyds brewery.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Brad Walden
Posts: 254
Joined: February 26th, 2009, 10:46 am

Dark Lord Day

#14 Post by Brad Walden » May 2nd, 2016, 10:49 am

TimF wrote:I had a good time at the festival today despite the rain. I sold my variant bottle on the spot for the price admission without any hesitation. Even though I'm not a death metal guy I kind of enjoyed some of the music. My buddy was the first guy to get denied a bottle of hot sauce so I guess that was the only real negative on the day. Very fun/interesting experience...

I've been a few times. I'm not a death metal guy either but the shows were always fun. I ended up meeting one of the bands while having some beers near the stage and the bassist(?) was the owner at Surly brewing. They apparently love playing DLD. It was always a fun time there. That said, I am trying to find a variant or two to keep the verticals going.

User avatar
TimF
Posts: 4020
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Dark Lord Day

#15 Post by TimF » May 2nd, 2016, 11:01 am

Brad Walden wrote:
TimF wrote:I had a good time at the festival today despite the rain. I sold my variant bottle on the spot for the price admission without any hesitation. Even though I'm not a death metal guy I kind of enjoyed some of the music. My buddy was the first guy to get denied a bottle of hot sauce so I guess that was the only real negative on the day. Very fun/interesting experience...

I've been a few times. I'm not a death metal guy either but the shows were always fun. I ended up meeting one of the bands while having some beers near the stage and the bassist(?) was the owner at Surly brewing. They apparently love playing DLD. It was always a fun time there. That said, I am trying to find a variant or two to keep the verticals going.
People were going crazy for the variants. Lots of guys right outside the bottle pickup area with wads of hundred dollar bills. The going rate for the marshmallow variant was $300.
Tim F@itsch

Brad Walden
Posts: 254
Joined: February 26th, 2009, 10:46 am

Dark Lord Day

#16 Post by Brad Walden » May 2nd, 2016, 11:11 am

Wow, that's actually cheap compared to where I am seeing offerings!!! I'm seeing $400 at the cheapest, with some into the $500 range. It'll probably settle down after the hype dies down a bit and the flippers outnumber the consumers. Or so I hope...

User avatar
TimF
Posts: 4020
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Dark Lord Day

#17 Post by TimF » May 2nd, 2016, 12:26 pm

Brad Walden wrote:Wow, that's actually cheap compared to where I am seeing offerings!!! I'm seeing $400 at the cheapest, with some into the $500 range. It'll probably settle down after the hype dies down a bit and the flippers outnumber the consumers. Or so I hope...
Where do you see this?
Tim F@itsch

Brad Walden
Posts: 254
Joined: February 26th, 2009, 10:46 am

Dark Lord Day

#18 Post by Brad Walden » May 2nd, 2016, 12:42 pm

Some were on Mybeercollectibles.com and some on Craiglist.

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4172
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Dark Lord Day

#19 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 2nd, 2016, 2:34 pm

Brad Walden wrote:Some were on Mybeercollectibles.com and some on Craiglist.
Beer prices look crazy on that site - Fremont KDS at $50/bottle? Abyss at $35-$50? Peche N Brett for $80? Abraxas at $120?!?!?!?

Only one I can find that I thought was high-priced, but reasonable was the FW Parabajava at $75.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
TimF
Posts: 4020
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Dark Lord Day

#20 Post by TimF » May 2nd, 2016, 2:45 pm

The amount of quality beers shared on Saturday was unbelievable. I kept stepping over empty Cantillion, Russian River, HT, older Dark Lord bottles. I keep seeing Abraxas mentioned here. I was turning down pours of it on our shuttle ride.

I opened a bottle of Allagash Red from 2012. That beer was really amazing. Also opened a Supplication from 2012 which was equally good. Never even got a chance to open the bottle of Cantillion I brought.
Tim F@itsch

User avatar
Tom D
Posts: 826
Joined: January 27th, 2011, 9:09 am
Location: Seattle

Dark Lord Day

#21 Post by Tom D » May 2nd, 2016, 10:18 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
Brad Walden wrote:Some were on Mybeercollectibles.com and some on Craiglist.
Beer prices look crazy on that site - Fremont KDS at $50/bottle? Abyss at $35-$50? Peche N Brett for $80? Abraxas at $120?!?!?!?

Only one I can find that I thought was high-priced, but reasonable was the FW Parabajava at $75.

Dang. If someone could actually find a buyer for KDS at $50, I'll undercut them and happily sell at $45!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tom D e v l i n

User avatar
TimF
Posts: 4020
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Dark Lord Day

#22 Post by TimF » April 22nd, 2017, 5:42 am

Anyone going this year? I'm in group C.
Tim F@itsch

User avatar
TimF
Posts: 4020
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Dark Lord Day

#23 Post by TimF » May 20th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Had the best beer of my life at DLD this weekend. The Chemtrailmix variant was amazing. The cinnamon was incredible. I can see why people pay hundreds for these bottles.
Tim F@itsch

Tran Bronstein
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2694
Joined: March 7th, 2011, 7:36 am

Re: Dark Lord Day

#24 Post by Tran Bronstein » May 21st, 2019, 9:20 pm

I am absolutely not a beer drinker at all and I LOVE Dark Lord. Honest to God it drinks like a malt based dessert wine. Fabulous stuff and despite the above average sweetness for beer and full body, it goes tremendously well with grilled meats.
Tran's the smart one!- M Grammer

Post Reply

Return to “Beer and Spirits”