Lagavulin 12

Just tried the 2011 edition and find it amazingly good. What is your take on this dram? Is it consistently good each year?

i love it… i have trouble justifying the much higher tariff than the 16, but i do think it is an amazing sipper.

Lagavulin 12 is stupendous. Yes, it is consistently good, Morten. I find the much higher tariff than the 16 very easily justifiable, but that’s merely a multi-faceted matter of opinion.

[welldone.gif]

Thank you both. As you can imagine, I also find this to be much superior to the 16…

+1
I absolutely love the 12 year. Several years ago a store I occasionally frequent had priced the 12 significantly below the 16, presumably following an older Scotch is better Scotch ideology. Happily picked up several bottles.

I’ve only had the first (2002) and the last (2014)- both recently - and both are, to repeat Brian, stupendous. It should be priced higher than the 16, and I love the 16. Now knowing, I will definitely be looking for them in the future, though they don’t hang around long apparently.

What’s the style? I like peaty Single Malts and used to like the 16 about many years ago.

Love the 16. Never had the 12. Interesting that the 12 is pricier than the 16. I’ll have to keep an eye out for it.

It’s a peaty single malt. neener

The 12 is bottled at cask strength, and the 16 is watered-back to 43% (iirc). I find the 12 to be more complex and less sherry than the 16.

Brian, Thanks, that sounds perfect.

Price is $110! It better be better than a lot of cask strength Armagnac at that price.
I remember buying Springbank 21 for that price no more than 15 years ago.

I promise you that Springbank 21 is significantly north of $110 these days. Hell, their (very tasty) cask strength 12 yo. is $85 at Beverage Warehouse, iirc, and that’s really pretty good pricing for the current market. I bet the 21 is in the $200 - $300 rang these days, if not more.

Yeah, well those were the days when no one drank the stuff I guess. Lagavulin too has doubled in price over those years.

$400+ for OB Springbank 21, current release.

I can’t recall where I was when I saw it the other day (BevMo maybe?), but I saw Lagavulin 16 marked at more than $100, which – as all of us here know – is downright absurd.

Well, it’s nice to see that a stronger $ is finally helping. :wink:

How does it rate against the Distillers Edition?

I feel that it’s far superior, Jonty.

Surprised you don’t have an opinion, yourself, given your stated locale! :slight_smile:

I am born and bred Lowlander good sir, and according my tastes are like my nature - sweet, subtle, delicate and refined. :wink:

More to the point though if I am going to spend £10+ on a dram at a bar I want go for something I know will float my boat and cask strength Islay’s are not really my kind of thing, however I do love the Distillers Edition.

+1