What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

#751 Post by Randy Bowman » June 26th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Herrera Esteli Brazilian Maduro Toro by Drew Estate

Revisiting one of my favorites. Coffee, cedar and mild pepper are the core of the profile. Along the way there is intermittent sweetness, earth and cream with notes of kitchen spice, cocoa, walnuts and red pepper. Medium plus.
20200626_133914.jpg
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#752 Post by Randy Bowman » June 27th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Saga Blend No 7 Perfecto

Six months in the humidor with aroma of hay. Starts with wood, mostly cedar and/or oak, hay, natural tobacco, a little earth and black pepper on the finish. By mid cigar, the wood has diminished and the cigar has developed some creaminess, with some coffee and spice notes. In the final third, the cedar returns with some light sweetness and remains to the end. Medium strength and body. The burn required one touch up and the draw was easy.
20200627_130509.jpg
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Jason Hagen

#753 Post by Jason Hagen » June 27th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Cohiba Red Dot Churchill - 5 months in the humidor
I love this Churchill. A great cigar. It does not have to prove itself by beating you over the head. = A+

Jason
Attachments
79CCB43B-31C3-4662-8193-F03B8F57F82A.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#754 Post by Randy Bowman » June 30th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Yum. Top ten on my list.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#755 Post by Randy Bowman » June 30th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Rocky Patel Decade Cameroon Toro

Three years in the humidor. Smooth and mellow end to end with an easy draw and even burn. Primary flavors of natural tobacco, earth and hay with notes of leather, dried fruit, coffee and light caramel. There is some mild pepper on the finish that increases slightly as the cigar nears the end. Not remarkable, nor complex but enjoyable. Medium strength and body.
20200630_140224.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#756 Post by Randy Bowman » July 1st, 2020, 2:23 pm

Archetype Dawn of Destiny Robusto

In the humidor for a year. Starts out with earth, tobacco, a hint of coffee and pepper. A mild citrus component appears in the second third along with some black tea notes and almond. Very light sweetness overtakes the citrus through the final third. Medium in strength, little complexity and the burn required one touch up.
20200701_132812.jpg

Jason Hagen

#757 Post by Jason Hagen » July 2nd, 2020, 11:10 am

Randy Bowman wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 2:23 pm
Archetype Dawn of Destiny Robusto

In the humidor for a year. Starts out with earth, tobacco, a hint of coffee and pepper. A mild citrus component appears in the second third along with some black tea notes and almond. Very light sweetness overtakes the citrus through the final third. Medium in strength, little complexity and the burn required one touch up.
20200701_132812.jpg
I picked up a few Archetype, had the Initiation yesterday. I like them and they seem to have a distinct style but my very limited experience is they are variable. Yesterday's smoke was at times great and then it would change to something off. Not sure they are up my alley.

Thanks for the note.

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#758 Post by Randy Bowman » July 3rd, 2020, 3:00 pm

Esteban Carreras Liga Pigtail 6 X 60 Maduro

One week in the humidor. Initial burn problems cured with a touch up or two. Once it settled there was coffee, dusty earth, leather and mild black pepper on the finish. By mid cigar there is some sweetness building along with some cinnamon toast. Approaching the nub, the finish and after taste are cinnamon toast. The cigar started out about medium and actually mellowed out to not quite medium with mouth coating full flavors. Very good cigar for the price.
20200703_135512.jpg

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#759 Post by Phil Smith » July 4th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Bros. Upmann 54, 2015 box code. Not much to it, but it’s doing the trick.
Attachments
B4DD11AC-4945-4076-B963-431809C5E9D0.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#760 Post by Randy Bowman » July 5th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Padron 1964 Number 45 Maduro

In the humidor for at least 3 years. The first quarter was natural tobacco and a lot of pepper. As the pepper fades, notes of leather, earth and coffee emerge. Sweet cedar and kitchen spice join in by mid cigar. For the final third, the coffee is replaced by dark chocolate notes. Sweet kitchen spice and hints of dark berries round out the profile. Medium plus and exotic.
20200705_135138.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#761 Post by Randy Bowman » July 6th, 2020, 8:08 pm

Things are getting tough in cigar land. We are running short on a number of cigars and none of the distributors have any. Some of the cigars we are getting are dry, (or real old). The last flyer I got from a distributor, they were hyping cigars nobody has ever heard of, with age on them and special pricing on 8 or more boxes. The distributors can't get cigars either with many factories closed. Maduro wrapped cigars are the hardest to find. Yes, many on-line stores still have some but I can't purchase from them. If A. Fuente/J. C. Newman fills my back order list it will probably run five figures. If you find something you really like, load up to get past this hiccup.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#762 Post by Randy Bowman » July 7th, 2020, 2:50 pm

Oliva Serie V Robusto

In the humidor for three months. The first two times I tried an Oliva V, allergies or something I had for lunch deaddened my senses of smell and taste. Not today. Barnyard on the foot and black tea on the cold draw. Upon lighting there is a blast of white pepper that slowly subsides through the first half inch of the cigar. Baking spices, coffee and dusty earth take over through the second third. The final third is the reward. Creamy bitter sweet chocolate, dark berries and hints of licorice. At the nub, a little cinnamon crept in. Full bodied and medium plus in strength.
20200707_133049.jpg

Jason Hagen

#763 Post by Jason Hagen » July 7th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 8:08 pm
Things are getting tough in cigar land. We are running short on a number of cigars and none of the distributors have any. Some of the cigars we are getting are dry, (or real old). The last flyer I got from a distributor, they were hyping cigars nobody has ever heard of, with age on them and special pricing on 8 or more boxes. The distributors can't get cigars either with many factories closed. Maduro wrapped cigars are the hardest to find. Yes, many on-line stores still have some but I can't purchase from them. If A. Fuente/J. C. Newman fills my back order list it will probably run five figures. If you find something you really like, load up to get past this hiccup.
Oh man. Thanks for the info. I was wondering what type of effect this was going to have.

Jason

Jason Hagen

#764 Post by Jason Hagen » July 7th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Davidoff Yamasa Petit Churchill About 2 months in the humidor.
I own very few Davidoffs since for me they don't deliver for the price you pay. But the Yamasa is a tasty cigar. Not much for notes but this was very enjoyable. I'll have another soon. = A-

Crux Epicure Maduro Toro About 5 weeks in the humidor.
Very easy to smoke. Medium body and flavors. Actually leaning toward mild. Surprised at how subtle this cigar is and no harshness. Lovely. = B+

Jason
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 6.24.23 PM.png
F89BE290-F2AE-4B9E-8909-ED71A0EEA9DB.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#765 Post by Randy Bowman » July 8th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Asylum 13 Sixty

Seven months in the humidor. Heavy pepper on the start fading to the finish, lead by natural tobacco, dusty earth with light cocoa notes through the first half. The second half featured kitchen spice, leather with light chocolate and some floral notes. The burn and draw were very good. Above average smoke.
20200708_134120.jpg

kyleg

#766 Post by kyleg » July 9th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 8:08 pm
Most cigar factories are operating, Nicaragua is in full operation, the Dominican Republic as well, and Honduras I am unsure of. The hiccup you are speaking of was caution in terms of the length of time that COVID would impact the supply chain and sales, so most factories and distributors put the break on. Since reopening's have commenced most of the factories and distributors are back to normal operations, but as you know with cigars, it takes time so the reboot is about 2-4 months behind depending on the aging procedures of respective factories for their cigars.
Kyle Gellis

Brent C l a y t o n

#767 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » July 9th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Have I posted this recently?

‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Brent C l a y t o n

#768 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » July 9th, 2020, 4:50 pm

‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Jason Hagen

#769 Post by Jason Hagen » July 10th, 2020, 5:06 pm

COA Brazilian GOL!

No notes but always a pleasure.

J
Attachments
AF3EAA4A-C31A-45E2-B1F5-9FE217AAA0A6.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#770 Post by Randy Bowman » July 12th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Archetype Axis Mundi Toro

A year in the humidor. Rich tobacco aroma on the foot, natural tobacco on the cold draw. Natural tobacco is the predominant flavor in the profile. Through the first half, notes of espresso, kitchen spice and dried fruit build up. The second half added a little sweetness, cocoa and black pepper on the finish. The draw was very firm resulting in wispy smoke and hard puffing to get more smoke heated up the stick. Ash was very firm too.
20200712_142849.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#771 Post by Randy Bowman » July 14th, 2020, 3:47 pm

CAO MX2 Robusto

One plus year in the humidor. Dark roast coffee drives this cigar. Some earth and leather notes in the first half and it gets creamy as it progresses. Some mild kitchen spice, baker's chocolate and a touch of pepper compliment the second half without any sweetness. Slow even burn with lots of dense smoke. Medium strength and body.
20200714_141451.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#772 Post by Randy Bowman » July 15th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Oliva V Melanio Maduro Torpedo

In the humidor for at least seven months. The flash of pepper after lighting settles quickly to dusty earth, coffee and some light leather, each taking turns at the forefront through the first half of the cigar. The pepper moves to the background and is barely noticeable. In the second half, the profile takes on a creamy character with some cedar and spice notes added. The finish has a slight saltiness. Approaching the nub there are some nut, tobacco and floral notes as the pepper picks up. Medium plus with an interesting complexity.
20200715_134429.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#773 Post by Randy Bowman » July 17th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Montecristo Double Edmundo (toro)

In the humidor for at least fifteen years. The first half featured toast, cedar, mild coffee, white pepper and dried fruit. The draw is a bit firm but improves through the second half. The coffee took on a mocha character and some nuttiness and natural tobacco were added to the profile in the second half. Medium strength and body. Nicotine level was negligible.
20200717_133258.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#774 Post by Randy Bowman » July 18th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Esteban Carreras Chupa Cabra Hellcat Grand Toro

In the humidor for over a year. Espresso, scorched earth, leather and a first for me, notes of popcorn for starters. There is some white pepper on the finish. Near mid cigar, roasted meat takes over the earth component. Notes of nuts, pecan I believe, and dried black fruits appear with a hint of sweetness. By the start of the final third, the cigar which was medium in strength, softens some and takes on a creamy, tasty and mild profile that remains until the nub when the pepper starts to build. Put this one on your to do list.
20200714_134117.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#775 Post by Randy Bowman » July 19th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Regius Black Label Belicoso

In the humidor for 3 years. Coffee bean, earth, leather and pepper comprise the core profile that also has some bitterness. Along the way there are notes of roasted nuts, sweet citrus, wood and caramel. Wonky burn was corrected with a single touch up. Some heat nearing the nub. Medium plus in strength.
20200719_140434.jpg

Jason Hagen

#776 Post by Jason Hagen » July 19th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Nice. Been digging into the humi. Fun. I'll post up some of my recent tonight. Been lazy but I have had some good sticks.

J

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#777 Post by Randy Bowman » July 20th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Alec Bradley Magic Toast Toro

Revisiting the Magic Toast in a Toro this time. Coffee, dusty earth, leather and a fair amount of pepper. Mid cigar, the pepper backs off and sweetness begins to build along with notes of chocolate, black fruits and kitchen spice. The sweetness diminishes in the final third with coffee back in the forefront and the cigar has some creaminess. Full bodied and nearly full strength. Burn a little uneven and had to be touched up twice. Firm ash. Room note of milk chocolate. Tasty.
20200720_133504.jpg

Jason Hagen

#778 Post by Jason Hagen » July 20th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Have you tried the Black Market Illicit? TAA. I have just one but might fire it up this week.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#779 Post by Randy Bowman » July 20th, 2020, 7:32 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 3:03 pm
Have you tried the Black Market Illicit? TAA. I have just one but might fire it up this week.
Haven't had one. I'll be looking forward to your review.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#780 Post by Randy Bowman » July 21st, 2020, 3:04 pm

Camacho Powerband Gordo

Purchased on release in 2016. Easy draw and cool smoke from the 60 ring cigar. Starts with natural tobacco, dusty earth, oak and pepper. There is a tannin like bite on the tongue. Coffee notes emerge and move to the forefront in the first third. Mid cigar, some sweetness and cocoa appear. As they build, the profile becomes creamy and the pepper moves to the finish. Coffee returns for the final third creating an aftertaste of mocha. Medium to medium plus in strength and full bodied.
20200721_140401.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#781 Post by Randy Bowman » July 22nd, 2020, 3:06 pm

Davidoff Double R 702 Series

A gift from a long time friend and customer. Creamy and smooth with espresso, dusty earth, hardwood and mild pepper. The draw is easy producing copious amounts of smoke and the burn line razor sharp. The flavors build through the first half and some mild sweetness highlights dark berry notes through to the final third when the espresso, oak and pepper move back to the forefront. Medium strength and packed with flavor.
20200722_134347.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#782 Post by Randy Bowman » July 22nd, 2020, 8:46 pm

PSA: Gentlemen and ladies, I suggest you stock up on your favorite cigars and back up sticks soon, particularly those with maduro wrappers. Between factory closings and loss of the supply chain due to Covid 19, stock is very limited and dwindling.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#783 Post by Josh Grossman » July 22nd, 2020, 9:06 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 3:06 pm
Davidoff Double R 702 Series

A gift from a long time friend and customer. Creamy and smooth with espresso, dusty earth, hardwood and mild pepper. The draw is easy producing copious amounts of smoke and the burn line razor sharp. The flavors build through the first half and some mild sweetness highlights dark berry notes through to the final third when the espresso, oak and pepper move back to the forefront. Medium strength and packed with flavor.
20200722_134347.jpg
What is your favorite (below $20) cigar if someone doesn't have a humidor? I have a family history of tobacco related cancer deaths so I only smoke a cigar about twice a year--but I do love them.

Jason Hagen

#784 Post by Jason Hagen » July 23rd, 2020, 12:52 pm

You could have about any great cigar for under $20. What style & size are you thinking. Also, if you needed to keep it awhile there is no need for a humidor. A tuper or even a ziplock freezer bag with a small boveda pack will keep the cigar healthy for a long time. About 400 of my cigars are keep in tuperadores with some added cedar. On par with a humidor and at least 10 times cheaper. But for 1 or 2 cigars I would go with a ziplock.

Totally off the top of my head I would look at:
Oliva O series, maduro or Natural
Ave Marie Immaculata
Ortega Cubao
Cohiba Red Dot
Anything by Room 101, Crowned Heads, Arturo Fuente, Southern Draw - all under $10
Any thing by Warped (my favorite)
Foundation
Edition One - Cloud Hopper (made by Warped)
Anything by Tatuaje

Just a few to look at.

J

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#785 Post by Randy Bowman » July 23rd, 2020, 2:38 pm

Under $20 In CA limits the selection some. Example: I'm smoking a Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro right now. I sell them cheap at $21 and keystone pricing at most CA shops would be $26 or $27. The same cigar in states without a tobacco tax would be around $16 or $17. Most number one cigars in Cigar Aficionado are under $20. Three that come to mind are Flor de Las Antillas Toro and Le Bijou Torpedo, both from My Father Cigars and the Aging Room Quattro F55N Torpedo. My Father Cigars has an outstanding selection and I like just about anything made by A. J. Fernandez. Arturo Fuente has provided the gold standard for years. La Flor Dominicana and E. P. Carrillo have excellent products. All these are mainstream majors. Jason has pointed out some of the best price value cigars on the market, many of which go to the major internet stores in bulk and not readily available in small quantities to smaller brick and mortar stores.
20200723_134952.jpg

Jason Hagen

#786 Post by Jason Hagen » July 24th, 2020, 9:55 am

Deadwood Sweet Jane
My first time trying this sweet tip. Very tasty although the cap is a bit cloying.

J
Attachments
8979841F-8974-4811-87AE-686297E5BDDF.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#787 Post by Jason Hagen » July 24th, 2020, 9:58 am

Room 101 The Big Payback Maduro Robusto

Dang. Had these sitting in the humidor with no drive to smoke one. Just hadn’t crossed my mind. This is a great smoke. Medium body and flavor. = A+

Jason
Attachments
FAC277ED-FDAC-49D4-82F5-6B28BB1BA19D.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#788 Post by Randy Bowman » July 24th, 2020, 8:24 pm

Had a Punch Rare Corojo today. It was about 2 years old and had the new labeling. It was absolutely nothing like the old Rare Corojos we had 10 years ago. It was okay with nothing different than the other Punch naturals. Might be the reason they are languishing on the shelf, but the absolute square box press does keep the cigar from rolling off the table.
20200724_130709.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#789 Post by Randy Bowman » July 25th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Aging Room Quattro F55N Maestro Torpedo

Revisiting Cigar Aficionado's number one cigar for 2019. My current favorite cigar.
20200613_133707.jpg

Jason Hagen

#790 Post by Jason Hagen » July 25th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Aladino Cameroon Lonsdale

As always an immaculately made Cigar. A little hidden right now but still mighty fine. I will let the others take a nap. = A
Attachments
96A9D1DD-F7FF-4CFA-B0E3-B23012C80E5E.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#791 Post by Jason Hagen » July 25th, 2020, 6:16 pm

Marrero Tesoro Mio Barber-pole

A very nice Barberpole.
Attachments
2E50D59C-B62C-4D20-B587-B20C8C50951A.jpeg

F.Daner

#792 Post by F.Daner » July 26th, 2020, 7:46 am

Thanks for the heads up Randy. I don't smoke Padron that much anymore

My favorite absolute go to is the Olivia V Robusto. Great anytime of the day and a great post Sunday brunch smoke.

Long ashes to all of you
Randy Bowman wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 8:46 pm
PSA: Gentlemen and ladies, I suggest you stock up on your favorite cigars and back up sticks soon, particularly those with maduro wrappers. Between factory closings and loss of the supply chain due to Covid 19, stock is very limited and dwindling.
Fred

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#793 Post by Randy Bowman » July 26th, 2020, 2:51 pm

E. P. Carrillo La Historia Dona Elena (Toro)

A year in the humidor. The first draw after lighting the cigar had notes of coffee. The fourth puff was smooth and creamy with both coffee and cocoa notes. The draw is excellent and the smoke dense. The coffee stays at the forefront with some leather and tobacco. Caramel like sweetness follows and the cocoa becomes chocolate on the finish and aftertaste. Occasional notes of almonds and dark berries. One of the most flavorful cigars I've enjoyed. Medium strength and full flavored.
20200726_140037.jpg

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#794 Post by Jud Reis » July 26th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Montecristo #2 from a buddy in Europe. In the humidor about 6 months. Just so smooth but pungent at the same time. Beautifully constructed - very fine ash and tons or mocha and pepper. Nice hot evening on the porch listening to some old Ray Lamontagne.

Jason Hagen

#795 Post by Jason Hagen » July 27th, 2020, 12:00 am

Caldwell/Room 101 Hit and Run
Booth/Caldwell. Ltd 2017. Smoking well. Almonds, smoke almonds and graham cracker. Half way through showing more wood and black pepper but the finish is still nuts and cookies with a bit of burn at the back of the palate. Draw and burn are okay. =B

Jason
Attachments
1DD3236E-EB2D-451E-BFF0-EE22240FB55A.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#796 Post by Jason Hagen » July 27th, 2020, 12:03 am

Tatuaje Fausto
I like it. Pretty mellow. Chocolate dusted almonds and sweet leather. A good hit of black pepper. The final third has a long finish and lingers on the palate with cream. =A
Attachments
144FEDBD-D61B-4E0A-8FB8-F6DE65D16B0C.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#797 Post by Jason Hagen » July 29th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Jud Reis wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 5:56 pm
Montecristo #2 from a buddy in Europe. In the humidor about 6 months. Just so smooth but pungent at the same time. Beautifully constructed - very fine ash and tons or mocha and pepper. Nice hot evening on the porch listening to some old Ray Lamontagne.
Nice.

J

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#798 Post by Randy Bowman » July 29th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Punch Rothschilde Double Maduro

Was my go to cigar 25 years ago. Dark roast coffee at the forefront, earth, kitchen spice and a peppery finish through the first half. Leather, a little cedar and fleeting notes of caramel kick in and the kitchen spice ramps up in the second half. Medium plus in strength and body.
20200729_144149.jpg

Jason Hagen

#799 Post by Jason Hagen » July 29th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Warped Corto
As always with Warped this Cigar creates a unique smoking experience. A nice blend of flavors and aromas with good old tobacco near the front. I had some burn issues and the draw was a bit off. I could blame it on some humidity fluctuations but my other Cigars from that humi are smoking great. For a smaller cigar this is a pretty long experience at easily 90 minutes. = B-

J
Attachments
073DCC74-3492-42CF-BBD4-783053E576D5.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#800 Post by Jason Hagen » July 29th, 2020, 5:11 pm

Room 101 The Farce Lonsdale
This shows much better than the toro. Awesome cigar. Going to let my toros continue to rest. = A
Attachments
8D2FE45D-81A4-4C21-B302-49ABA03D1816.jpeg

Return to “Beer and Spirits”