What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

#201 Post by Phil Smith » May 17th, 2019, 5:34 pm

God of Fire Serie B Robusto tonight... just learning my way around but enjoying this as a way to wind down in the evenings.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#202 Post by Randy Bowman » May 17th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Another issue of late: Dunhiil was bought up by a company wanting their cigarette line. Production of their pipe tobaccos stopped and the regular Dunhill aficionados are scrambling to find replacements for Early Morning Pipe and Night Cap. A couple different companies are trying to match the blends with some success, though there are some who are not satisfied nor impressed. My Dunhill smokers are getting testy without their preferred tobacco and unimpressed with my attempts to find replacements.

The world of pipe tobacco is much different than that of cigars, right down to personality of the individual. While I smoke both, I'm more a cigar guy and not cerebral enough to evaluate or rate the broad range of pipe tobaccos. I have customers who will only purchase ribbon cut tobaccos and others who must have either Perique, Latakia or both in their blend. Room note on most of the European blends can be eye and/or nose burning for those used to the aromatic American blends.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#203 Post by Eric Ifune » May 18th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Used to smoke Dunhill 965. There was another Dunhill label, I forget the name, that was pressed and came in a red square tin. I liked it a lot, but the rubbing was a hassle.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by Phil Smith » May 18th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Quick Davidoff Escurio petit robusto... fine but not memorable

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#205 Post by Randy Bowman » May 18th, 2019, 8:36 pm

The Alec Bradley Black Market 2019 Filthy Hooligan is an enigma. First purchase reasonably priced but when the vintage was running out, the prices soared like a board darling Cab. The cigar is a barber pole with claro and maduro wrappers. It is like smoking four cigars at once as the flavors change by nuances and occasional complete change of flavor. There is that green flavor of the claro wrapper, although subdued it is noticeable through portions of the cigar. Coffee notes, earthy flavors, bright tobacco flavors are all included. If you are going to have a cocktail with this cigar, it should be neutral and cleansing/acidic, not sweet nor heavy and taste bud coating. (No ports)
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by Phil Smith » May 19th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Liga Connecticut Flying Pig in the morning and a Partigas Serie D 4 with a screwy draw. I do find an extra dimension on the Cuban stuff that I’m having a hard time finding elsewhere.

Jason Hagen

#207 Post by Jason Hagen » May 21st, 2019, 12:45 pm

A few smokes.

Illusione Epernay This is a wonderful cigar. Smooth. Great draw. Terrrific balance. Medium/Full = A

Perla del Mar - Robusto Aged about 12 months. Decent. Nothing too interesting about this cigar. Easy smoke but there are better options. Light/Medium = B

Tatuaje Havana VI - Corona The draw is okay. Mainly earthy woody elements. For the price, a fine daily cigar - Medium = B-

Cheers,

Jason

Jason Hagen

#208 Post by Jason Hagen » May 26th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Thanks to Greg P for sharing this with me.

CAO Brazilia Maduro Fantastic draw and extremely well constructed. This makes this full bodied cigar very easy to smoke. Not much sweetness, focusing on darker rich and earthy flavors. Going to let the others rest for a few months. B+

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1355.jpeg

GregP

#209 Post by GregP » May 26th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Jason, many now use Mexican San Andreas leaf for Maduro, though some still use CT Broadleaf. Both are on the sweet side, making most Maduros one dimensional to me, main reason I buy very few Maduros these days (though was smoking plenty back in mid '90s). The reason I like Brazilian Mata leaf, it adds richness to palate, without sugary notes. And spiciness/espresso/earthy notes to boot, as you said.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by Randy Bowman » May 26th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Greg, have you tried any of the Sun Grown Maduros now on the market?

GregP

#211 Post by GregP » May 26th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Short answer, yes, I have.

Long answer. I stopped buying Cuban cigars when they moved, wholesale, to Habano leaf, or whatever that is since no one really can explain what it is. Its a hybrid that is easy to grow and work with, but certainly lacking in so many important ways when compared to Corojo, flavors and nuance wise, side by side. And Criollo. And I, generally, avoid it whether in natural or Maduro state. You know, pig, lipstick. Some do work, to an extent. But, in general, average in most cases. And, in most cases, "sin grown" is still mostly Habano leaf ripened more.

Again, my palate, and I know it works for many others. Same as Cuba cigars prior to 1998, I gravitate to Corojo and Criollo, key tobaccos that made Cuban cigars what they WERE known for. Key word being WERE. Have a few pre 1998 left, and once I am done with those I am completely done with Cubans, buying on a reputation built on a product that is no longer used is ridiculous, especially when flavors are now so diluted. Corojo, Criollo, used by Cuba from roughly early 1930s, are Pinot Noir and Grenache of wine world, when it comes to growing and making, And, obviously, flavors, key issue for me. Cuba gave up on both in 1998 for the ease of growth and production of Habano with weather conditions really not much affecting it (and almost trippled their production numbers overnight, literally). Main reason Cuba has never produced Maduros until the move to Habano leaf. From a historical perspective, and a reason why I like certain cigars/tobaccos, I see Habano leaf in the mix I most likely move on. Though I do taste as much as I can, still, and know the market well.

In general, Habano leaf, introduced by Cuba in 1998 as a replacement for Corojo/Criollo, even "sun grown", is still Habano 2000 (whatever it is Cubans came up with) in the end. Not much in it for my palate.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by Randy Bowman » May 26th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Here's a funny note for you Greg. My Corojos and rare Corojos move at a snails pace and Criollo even slower. It is really crazy how certain cigars are popular at our store and if there was a store across the street, they would sell out of my non movers and be unable to sell what I go through a box of every two days.

GregP

#213 Post by GregP » May 26th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Randy, I am friends with an owner of a cigar shop in Sac. And when in town I stop by and smoke a couple, so takes 2-3 hours, at least. All I can tell you is that I see loads of people come in and buy Drew flavoreds while real cigars (to me) sit. Can't explain it save for marketing, hype and new smokers not really having access nor experience with great tobaccos of old. So, sadly, not just your store, I've been observing it for years now. Like I said before, have no idea who and why buys Gurkha, some are vile, literally, while others are no more than average, at best, but the guy is a genius at marketing, and I see Gurkhas sell while some great cigars do not.

Understand what you're saying and experiencing, but not surprised, by any means. Sadly so.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#214 Post by Alan Eden » May 31st, 2019, 8:29 pm

Missed my Cigars tonight, looking forward to nice Davidoff Double R Churchill for the Champions league final tomorrow. I do like a nice Double R
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#215 Post by Phil Smith » June 2nd, 2019, 5:09 pm

Bunch over the weekend… A few random Fuentes at random ages, a couple of Davidoff Winston Churchills old and new, and a Don Carlos Personal Reserve tonight. I love that cigar

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Randy Bowman » June 2nd, 2019, 6:46 pm

2019 Alec Bradley Black Market Filthy Hooligan. Toro in size it is a barber pole with Claro, (Candela), and Maduro wrapper. Oddest combination. Kinda like a blend of Chardonnay and Cabernet in layers. It is actually a fun smoke if your attention is to the flavors of the cigar. It is a chameleon, changing or blending flavors the entire length. The flavor range is also unique, from "Claro" lawn green to Maduro dark roast coffee. Earthy and toasty notes chased by nuttiness, then by grass, then by pepper. Now a combination of those flavors followed by dark roast coffee. There is also some sweetness so I would recommend something neutral/not sweet to drink with it. I'm having a blended Scotch, (Dewars), with water, so it doesn't impart much flavor to interfere, yet still provide some palate cleaning to refresh the flavors of the cigar.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”