What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cigars - UnOfficial thread

#201 Post by Randy Bowman » September 13th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Some basics for the novices:

When trying any new cigar, choose a Robusto. The 50 ring will burn cooler than smaller ring gauges and you should be able to experience everything the cigar has to offer. The other plus is the cost. Hate to spend top dollar on larger cigar and hate it for an hour.

Humidors should be kept at least half full and no more than three quarters full to operate at peak efficiency. Spaced strips of cedar or a wood rack on the floor of the humidor help circulate air/humidity to all the cigars on the bottom. Ideally, the humidor should maintain between 68 and 72 degrees F, and 68 to 72 percent humidity. Putting a humidor full of cigars in a wine cellar is akin to storing your high end wines in the cabinet above your oven.

Is it mold?? When you find things growing on the wrapper, don't panic. Mold usually has some color; light yellow, light green. When you run your finger over it, mold rolls up into a ball and sticks to your finger or the cigar. If the growth is white or off white and turns to powder when you run you finger over it, that is bloom. Bloom is formed by the oils leaching from the wrapper leaf. Bloom is a good indicator that the cigar will have more vibrant flavors from the oils and may also be stronger in body. I have customers who rifle through the boxes in the walk-in humidor searching for cigars with bloom.

The dreaded tobacco beetle. I've seen more in Cuban cigars than others but they are out there and it only takes one to decimate you humidor. I don't know why, but tobacco beetles are ass holes. Rather than chew up the cigar they showed up in, they like to eat a small hole through every cigar in your humidor. Now you have to find the two cigars that only have one hole in them. He's in one of those two. If you want to enjoy those two cigars rather than throw them away, place them in the freezer for two days. Let them thaw and put them back in the humidor for at least one month. Got a box of mid range Nicaraguan cigars several months ago and noticed two holes in the cellophane of the first cigar I removed from the box. Sucker got a total of six cigars.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Mark Mason

#202 Post by Mark Mason » September 14th, 2017, 9:02 am

"Humidors should be kept at least half full and no more than three quarters full to operate at peak efficiency. "

This is getting just plain silly now. I thought wine cellars were particular.
Hard water fisherman

Louis Demers

#203 Post by Louis Demers » September 14th, 2017, 10:34 am

The Robusto size for a start is a good advice, this is where most of us start.

Humidors !
-Your right ! The more it is full the more stable it is ( from my own experience). I would add that the temp swings in spring and fall will f&?ck up the RH every year, it is normal and don't sweat it.
-Now, the best temps is a whole debate by it self but, usually, store the cigars in between 61 and 71 and your fine ( 16 c to 21 c). I like 65-68 F as it maintain my RH on a 64-66% RH and this is where I like to smoke my sticks). At 70-71f is the starting temp where the egg hatch so stay away from this if you can.
IMO and according to most (including HAbanos SA), RH should be between 62% - 70% above your asking for mold.... ( and will likely get some)

Is it mold?
The answer, 99% of the time is yes, not to contradict the above post but, mold and bloom or plum is more than often confused (even by shop owners)... Bloom is an rare occurrence and takes years to develop (yes, years). Most will pass off white mold as plume to unload stock. I would stay away from the cigars ( and the seller) unless you like smoke penicillin. ( wink wink)

White mold is usually the more common one not green or yellow and it is easy to identify as they start to form in spot to eventually (when not spotted or not taken care of) will spread to the most part of the cigar. Having a couple of spots on the wrapper wont kill you or affect the taste, just dust off and smoke. BUT ! if you see some on the foot stay away and trash this usually mean the inner part is affected and the whole thing is not salvageable.

Bloom can be identify when:
1-the whole stock of the box is the same, not just a couple of cigars in the said box
2-you have a cigars that has been aged for a couple of years
3-it is uniform on all the wrapper
4-if you look closely the rapper you will find that it is akin to tiny crystal dust

The dreaded beetle
Cigars can be placed in the refrigerator or freezer (16 days at 36°F, 7 days at 25°F or 32°F for four to seven days) to kill all stages. Place items in a plastic bag to reduce condensation problems during thawing. ( usually I freeze upon arrival in a doubled ziplock bag to slow the freezing process and not harm the wrapers)
Development of the beetle is incomplete at 17°C and adults die when exposed to 4°C for six days.

Want to smoke a cigar that has a hole in it ? No prob, light it up and you'll hear a little pop sound when you find the egg of the sucker! I rather smoke a cigar that has a hole in it than a cigar that has uneven 'bloom' lol

Mark Mason

#204 Post by Mark Mason » September 14th, 2017, 10:51 am

Should I leave the plastic wrappers on or remove them in my humidor?
Hard water fisherman

Louis Demers

#205 Post by Louis Demers » September 14th, 2017, 10:55 am

Whatever you like they will only get yelowish with time. I usually keep mine on ( and have done this for years without any problems)

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by Eric Ifune » September 14th, 2017, 4:25 pm

I've rescued a few cigars with beetle holes. Sacrifice some wrapper, moisten a bit, and plug the hole. Allows for an acceptable draw. Don't want to waste those expensive Cubans!

Jason Hagen

Re: What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

#207 Post by Jason Hagen » May 7th, 2019, 8:05 pm

I thought I would bump this and see if anybody still wants to play. I haven't had a cigar since August when I got pneumonia but have been craving a nice smoke. I don't really enjoy smoking alone (I get bored) but I am going to gather with some friends to watch some playoff and cup games so I broke open the humi. Not sure what I am going to have yet since they all look so good.

I'll post some notes when the time comes. I haven't bought anything in over a year, hoping to shrink my stock a bit.

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#208 Post by Randy Bowman » May 7th, 2019, 8:33 pm

There are so many new cigars out there it is amazing. A. J. Fernandez is putting out unique cigars that parallel some of the new wine makers and their perception of blending wines beyond the norm. Alec Bradley's Black Market Filthy Hooligan is a great example of stretching the envelope and creating something unique and enjoyable, IF you are flavor chaser. The Filthy Hooligan has an unheard of blend including a Candela and Maduro barber pole wrapper. Chasing the flavors.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by Alan Eden » May 7th, 2019, 9:03 pm

I am the total opposite to wine with cigars, give me a nice classic Padron anyday
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

GregP

#210 Post by GregP » May 7th, 2019, 10:58 pm

With A.J Fernandes you had one of them you had them all, they all have same profile, IMO. Spice and strength, no nuance/subtle notes. My take on them, your mileage and all that...

I became a DPG convert many years ago, after visiting his original factory on Calle Ocho, and his Cuban Classic line (black label) is still the standard, IMO, every time I come back to them, and always have a few boxes with 4-8 years on them, restock as needed. Oliva Vs are great, across the board, and Davidoff Winston Churchill or Yamasa, when you want to splurge.

Rarely smoke Maduros these days, one dimensional sugar note most of the time, regardless of producer. Akin to drinking Central Valley RS wine. But have some CAO Brasil, as Maduros go they are not bad when you just want to smoke while browsing interwebs.

Not a fan of 60 gauge, when manufacturers cannot add flavor through good quality tobacco they just go to large gauge to "add flavor" through volume. Same as oak in wine.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Jason Hagen

#211 Post by Jason Hagen » May 9th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 8:33 pm
There are so many new cigars out there it is amazing. A. J. Fernandez is putting out unique cigars that parallel some of the new wine makers and their perception of blending wines beyond the norm. Alec Bradley's Black Market Filthy Hooligan is a great example of stretching the envelope and creating something unique and enjoyable, IF you are flavor chaser. The Filthy Hooligan has an unheard of blend including a Candela and Maduro barber pole wrapper. Chasing the flavors.
I'll have to try a Fernandez. I don't recall ever having one. As I say, I am in a buying pause until I know I am going to be smoking again. I have generally moved to mild/medium cigars and rarely have maduros. I do have an Alec Bradley Black Market with about 6 years on it. Wondering how it will be.

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by Randy Bowman » May 9th, 2019, 7:27 pm

My customers seem to think the A J Fernandez Last Call cigars are the cat's meow. Here's my two week back up:
lastcall.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#213 Post by Randy Bowman » May 9th, 2019, 7:42 pm

E. P. Carrillo is also making a mark with his blends. My Father is creating a stir too. My daily smoke used to be Padron until I had a Last Call Geniales. The old standby cigars are trying to introduce new, competitive cigars but the sales of their mainstream cigars are dwindling and therefore, their placements in the humidor. I have a number of once popular cigars in the aged bin, ranging from 6 to 12 years in our humidor, because nobody bought them. Once somebody buys and tries these old sticks they usually return and buy the remainder.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#214 Post by Alan Eden » May 9th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Randy

If you haveany aged Padrons drop me a line, always looking
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#215 Post by Randy Bowman » May 9th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Alan, the main stream Padrons, 2000, 3000, 4,000 and 5,000 fly out so nothing with age. The Aniversarios a little slower so some of the 1926 and 1964 cigars have some age, but with CA Tobacco tax, (about 64%), they are expensive. Hence, why they don't move so quickly.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Alan Eden » May 9th, 2019, 11:35 pm

So how much would a 6000 churchill be in CA ? $8.05 in my local store which is not a cheap shop

GregP

#217 Post by GregP » May 10th, 2019, 12:22 am

Jason Hagen wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 5:54 pm
I'll have to try a Fernandez. I don't recall ever having one. As I say, I am in a buying pause until I know I am going to be smoking again. I have generally moved to mild/medium cigars and rarely have maduros. I do have an Alec Bradley Black Market with about 6 years on it. Wondering how it will be.

Jason
Jason,

Order a sampler, original lines he built his name with: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/d ... /#p-180628

For something mild, for now, order 5 pack of Macanudo (Conn wrapper), or Baccarat, nice, easy smokes. CI has very cheap shipping, should be ~$7 per order (AJ sampler and a number of 5 packs).

As for Maduros, they are not usually strong, sweet, sure, but not strong by definition (curing and then fermentation methods). Try CAO Brazil in a 5 pack, or Sancho Panza, they are medium, at best. I can ship you some CAOs, let me know. I tend to smoke stronger cigars (after dinner), and CAO Brazil is mildest I have right now. PM me your address.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#218 Post by Phil Smith » May 10th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 11:35 pm
So how much would a 6000 churchill be in CA ? $8.05 in my local store which is not a cheap shop
There’s well-publicized threats of a proposal in the Illinois senate with the same 64% tax...

I’ve never actually ordered cigars online, do we like CI around here?

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#219 Post by Alan Eden » May 10th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Phil Smith wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:15 pm
Alan Eden wrote:
There’s well-publicized threats of a proposal in the Illinois senate with the same 64% tax...

CI ?

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by Phil Smith » May 10th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:41 pm
Phil Smith wrote:
Alan Eden wrote:

CI ?
The site referenced in the post above me

Jason Hagen

#221 Post by Jason Hagen » May 10th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Phil Smith wrote:
Alan Eden wrote:

Other than when I am traveling, I mainly buy from CI. Always been great for me. Occasionally I'll buy from Thompson or Famous. But I have a shop in Nashville (Brentwood) that I really like and then when I am in Florida it is game on.

Jason

Jason Hagen

#222 Post by Jason Hagen » May 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#223 Post by Phil Smith » May 10th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm
https://www.cigarsinternational.com/

J
[thumbs-up.gif]

Jason Hagen

#224 Post by Jason Hagen » May 10th, 2019, 7:59 pm

GregP wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 12:22 am

Jason,

Order a sampler, original lines he built his name with: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/d ... /#p-180628

For something mild, for now, order 5 pack of Macanudo (Conn wrapper), or Baccarat, nice, easy smokes. CI has very cheap shipping, should be ~$7 per order (AJ sampler and a number of 5 packs).

As for Maduros, they are not usually strong, sweet, sure, but not strong by definition (curing and then fermentation methods). Try CAO Brazil in a 5 pack, or Sancho Panza, they are medium, at best. I can ship you some CAOs, let me know. I tend to smoke stronger cigars (after dinner), and CAO Brazil is mildest I have right now. PM me your address.
That sampler is a killer deal. As always, you are very generous. I'll PM you my address.

I hope you are well. LMK if you are down this way and we'll have a smoke. I am on the wagon these days but do have wine to share.

Peace,

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#225 Post by Randy Bowman » May 10th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
So how much would a 6000 Churchill be in CA ? $8.05 in my local store which is not a cheap shop
Alan, with our 64% tobacco tax, stores in CA would sell the 6000 for between $14.50 and $20.00, depending on their location and mark up. We are located outside of the "downtown" area and have rent about one half of those "downtown" businesses of similar size. I mark up the cigars about half of the normal mark up hoping volume is the answer. Check your local shop and see the difference on our prices of these standards:
Arturo Fuente Chateau $9.00
Padron 2000 $9.50
Romeo y Juliet Bully $11.50

GregP

#226 Post by GregP » May 10th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Cigars International has been great, for many years now. Most any smoke you'd like, great prices, and cheap shipping. They also run Cigar Bid, and I buy a lot on their Free Fall auctions, if you play it right and know your prices you may pay 30-50% off normal prices, so I buy many boxes/bundles at one time to save on shipping (they combine shipments if you buy within days).

GregP

#227 Post by GregP » May 10th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:59 pm

I hope you are well. LMK if you are down this way and we'll have a smoke. I am on the wagon these days but do have wine to share.

Peace,

Jason
Hope you're getting better. We missed you guys at Falltacular, well, a few others also, but it was great to see many of the OC crew.

Planning to be in the area in June, and will ping you, of course.

I'll ship come Monday, don't want cigars sitting in some warehouse over the weekend.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#228 Post by Alan Eden » May 11th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Thanks Randy

Cigar business is hard, online is cheaper so brick and mortar shops struggle. My cigar shop is also a full lounge so you have somewhere to smoke, watch TV and drink if you want to this justifies the premium over Cigarbid or similar. Of course you get the assholes who buy online then come into the lounge but they quickly get thrown out or charged a cutting fee

Barry Sunderland

#229 Post by Barry Sunderland » May 12th, 2019, 10:07 am

God, I miss cigar smoking...
I quit, mostly, for health reasons.
Some people may say, “Just have one, here and there.”
Like Lay’s, I ‘can’t just have one’.
It’s a slippery slope for me.

GregP

#230 Post by GregP » May 12th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 7:56 pm
Thanks Randy

Cigar business is hard, online is cheaper so brick and mortar shops struggle. My cigar shop is also a full lounge so you have somewhere to smoke, watch TV and drink if you want to this justifies the premium over Cigarbid or similar. Of course you get the assholes who buy online then come into the lounge but they quickly get thrown out or charged a cutting fee
Not sure these are the reasons, although some validity to them. Issue, for me at least, is that I can find most any cigar of MY choice online, versus most shops still selling mostly Altadis and General lines, and very few boutique ones. I used to buy most cigars at local brick and mortars, but got tired of seeing same old same old every time I walked in. Millenials' fads, aka Gurkha, Drew flavoreds, etc, are just not cigars to me, but are stocked all over the place and occupy way too much shelf space, FOR ME. Great for cigar shop owners, so no argument there, they run a for profit business. But limited choice is something they have to face. Amazon got where it is today due to multitude of choices mostly not available locally. So, even though price helps, its the unlimited choice that makes people buy online.

And trying to justify higher prces due to rents is silly, IMO, the argument is way too old by now and way off. How many people do you think a place like CI employs? Never mind rent they pay on a huge warehouse. Do you really think that brick and mortar rents somehow are higher than all those extra salaries and bennies? That buys you a lof of "rent", no? I do go to local shops and lounges, from time to time. But when it comes to buying cigars I want, they are lacking, sadly, and my only recourse is to buy online. Prices help, of course.

How many places do you think carry Room 101? Curivari? These are cigars to me, big time, how many cigar shop owners even know they exist?

Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired of seeing same old argument still in play when numbers dictate its not true. Rents are rents, some higher, some lower. Even at CI and other online sources. Can't imagine CI or Atlantic running out of a garage someplace. And with the number of people they employ, plus humongous inventory they carry, every day, I am sure their insurance policies are way higher than brick and mortar, but I don't see them complaining about that. While still making a healthy profit.

---

As for cutting fee, I wouldn't even allow that. Have not seen anyone do that on my visits, whether in NY, NJ, CA, FL or NV, but agree this is appaulling behavior that should not be tolerated.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#231 Post by Alan Eden » May 12th, 2019, 7:35 pm

GregP wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 5:07 pm
Alan Eden wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 7:56 pm
Thanks Randy

Not sure these are the reasons, although some validity to them. Issue, for me at least, is that I can find most any cigar of MY choice online, versus most shops still selling mostly Altadis and General lines, and very few boutique ones. I used to buy most cigars at local brick and mortars, but got tired of seeing same old same old every time I walked in. Millenials' fads, aka Gurkha, Drew flavoreds, etc, are just not cigars to me, but are stocked all over the place and occupy way too much shelf space, FOR ME. Great for cigar shop owners, so no argument there, they run a for profit business. But limited choice is something they have to face. Amazon got where it is today due to multitude of choices mostly not available locally. So, even though price helps, its the unlimited choice that makes people buy online.

And trying to justify higher prces due to rents is silly, IMO, the argument is way too old by now and way off. How many people do you think a place like CI employs? Never mind rent they pay on a huge warehouse. Do you really think that brick and mortar rents somehow are higher than all those extra salaries and bennies? That buys you a lof of "rent", no? I do go to local shops and lounges, from time to time. But when it comes to buying cigars I want, they are lacking, sadly, and my only recourse is to buy online. Prices help, of course.

How many places do you think carry Room 101? Curivari? These are cigars to me, big time, how many cigar shop owners even know they exist?

Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired of seeing same old argument still in play when numbers dictate its not true. Rents are rents, some higher, some lower. Even at CI and other online sources. Can't imagine CI or Atlantic running out of a garage someplace. And with the number of people they employ, plus humongous inventory they carry, every day, I am sure their insurance policies are way higher than brick and mortar, but I don't see them complaining about that. While still making a healthy profit.

---

As for cutting fee, I wouldn't even allow that. Have not seen anyone do that on my visits, whether in NY, NJ, CA, FL or NV, but agree this is appaulling behavior that should not be tolerated.
Greg

You are not visiting the store i go to. They have a massive selection including Room 101 and Curivari as well as most of the brands you can think of, in addition they have their own unique brands and carry a wide range of the premium cigars you just dont see in most stores, Opus X, Double R, HR etc. On top of this they have a vintage room with cigars upto 60 years old.

The higher price is not for rent as such, who pays for the TV's ? Leather chairs ? free refreshments ? etc. you really think one $5.95 cigar allows that to happen ? I am not arguing for cigar stores they have no value, im talking about lounges which provide huge value.

I personally smoke cigars as a social activity, you cant do that at home. Lounges will always be more expensive than online and im totally fine with that.

Its like complaining that restaurant wine is more expensive than local Binnys or Total

GregP

#232 Post by GregP » May 12th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Alan,

There are some good stores, key word is "some". No argument there. Most, though, are not. I used to shop at Tower, in Sac (CA), the owner introduced me to many great smokes, Curivari included when they just showed up ~11 years ago. And yet, you go to a shop in Danville, CA, and its crap, high prices with limited selection. I can name more sub-par stores than great ones. Many now feature lounges, but to me, if I cannot buy a good stick there is no reason for me to be there.

High cigar prices are mostly taxes, and nothing else. Rent, TV, chairs, etc are not that expensive, and certainly way less than having a staff of 10+ to run a business. I have nothing against cigar shops and lounges, just saying that "rent and TV' should not be used as justification for higher prices.

Visit Smoke Inn in WPB, as one example, and then right there, on the spot, ask them about price if you want to order from out of state. Rather telling, and they have that same lounge, chairs, TV, etc. you speak off. Great cigar selection, BTW.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#233 Post by Phil Smith » May 17th, 2019, 5:34 pm

God of Fire Serie B Robusto tonight... just learning my way around but enjoying this as a way to wind down in the evenings.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#234 Post by Randy Bowman » May 17th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Another issue of late: Dunhiil was bought up by a company wanting their cigarette line. Production of their pipe tobaccos stopped and the regular Dunhill aficionados are scrambling to find replacements for Early Morning Pipe and Night Cap. A couple different companies are trying to match the blends with some success, though there are some who are not satisfied nor impressed. My Dunhill smokers are getting testy without their preferred tobacco and unimpressed with my attempts to find replacements.

The world of pipe tobacco is much different than that of cigars, right down to personality of the individual. While I smoke both, I'm more a cigar guy and not cerebral enough to evaluate or rate the broad range of pipe tobaccos. I have customers who will only purchase ribbon cut tobaccos and others who must have either Perique, Latakia or both in their blend. Room note on most of the European blends can be eye and/or nose burning for those used to the aromatic American blends.

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#235 Post by Eric Ifune » May 18th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Used to smoke Dunhill 965. There was another Dunhill label, I forget the name, that was pressed and came in a red square tin. I liked it a lot, but the rubbing was a hassle.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#236 Post by Phil Smith » May 18th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Quick Davidoff Escurio petit robusto... fine but not memorable

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#237 Post by Randy Bowman » May 18th, 2019, 8:36 pm

The Alec Bradley Black Market 2019 Filthy Hooligan is an enigma. First purchase reasonably priced but when the vintage was running out, the prices soared like a board darling Cab. The cigar is a barber pole with claro and maduro wrappers. It is like smoking four cigars at once as the flavors change by nuances and occasional complete change of flavor. There is that green flavor of the claro wrapper, although subdued it is noticeable through portions of the cigar. Coffee notes, earthy flavors, bright tobacco flavors are all included. If you are going to have a cocktail with this cigar, it should be neutral and cleansing/acidic, not sweet nor heavy and taste bud coating. (No ports)

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#238 Post by Phil Smith » May 19th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Liga Connecticut Flying Pig in the morning and a Partigas Serie D 4 with a screwy draw. I do find an extra dimension on the Cuban stuff that I’m having a hard time finding elsewhere.

Jason Hagen

#239 Post by Jason Hagen » May 21st, 2019, 12:45 pm

A few smokes.

Illusione Epernay This is a wonderful cigar. Smooth. Great draw. Terrrific balance. Medium/Full = A

Perla del Mar - Robusto Aged about 12 months. Decent. Nothing too interesting about this cigar. Easy smoke but there are better options. Light/Medium = B

Tatuaje Havana VI - Corona The draw is okay. Mainly earthy woody elements. For the price, a fine daily cigar - Medium = B-

Cheers,

Jason

Jason Hagen

#240 Post by Jason Hagen » May 26th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Thanks to Greg P for sharing this with me.

CAO Brazilia Maduro Fantastic draw and extremely well constructed. This makes this full bodied cigar very easy to smoke. Not much sweetness, focusing on darker rich and earthy flavors. Going to let the others rest for a few months. B+

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1355.jpeg

GregP

#241 Post by GregP » May 26th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Jason, many now use Mexican San Andreas leaf for Maduro, though some still use CT Broadleaf. Both are on the sweet side, making most Maduros one dimensional to me, main reason I buy very few Maduros these days (though was smoking plenty back in mid '90s). The reason I like Brazilian Mata leaf, it adds richness to palate, without sugary notes. And spiciness/espresso/earthy notes to boot, as you said.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#242 Post by Randy Bowman » May 26th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Greg, have you tried any of the Sun Grown Maduros now on the market?

GregP

#243 Post by GregP » May 26th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Short answer, yes, I have.

Long answer. I stopped buying Cuban cigars when they moved, wholesale, to Habano leaf, or whatever that is since no one really can explain what it is. Its a hybrid that is easy to grow and work with, but certainly lacking in so many important ways when compared to Corojo, flavors and nuance wise, side by side. And Criollo. And I, generally, avoid it whether in natural or Maduro state. You know, pig, lipstick. Some do work, to an extent. But, in general, average in most cases. And, in most cases, "sin grown" is still mostly Habano leaf ripened more.

Again, my palate, and I know it works for many others. Same as Cuba cigars prior to 1998, I gravitate to Corojo and Criollo, key tobaccos that made Cuban cigars what they WERE known for. Key word being WERE. Have a few pre 1998 left, and once I am done with those I am completely done with Cubans, buying on a reputation built on a product that is no longer used is ridiculous, especially when flavors are now so diluted. Corojo, Criollo, used by Cuba from roughly early 1930s, are Pinot Noir and Grenache of wine world, when it comes to growing and making, And, obviously, flavors, key issue for me. Cuba gave up on both in 1998 for the ease of growth and production of Habano with weather conditions really not much affecting it (and almost trippled their production numbers overnight, literally). Main reason Cuba has never produced Maduros until the move to Habano leaf. From a historical perspective, and a reason why I like certain cigars/tobaccos, I see Habano leaf in the mix I most likely move on. Though I do taste as much as I can, still, and know the market well.

In general, Habano leaf, introduced by Cuba in 1998 as a replacement for Corojo/Criollo, even "sun grown", is still Habano 2000 (whatever it is Cubans came up with) in the end. Not much in it for my palate.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#244 Post by Randy Bowman » May 26th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Here's a funny note for you Greg. My Corojos and rare Corojos move at a snails pace and Criollo even slower. It is really crazy how certain cigars are popular at our store and if there was a store across the street, they would sell out of my non movers and be unable to sell what I go through a box of every two days.

GregP

#245 Post by GregP » May 26th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Randy, I am friends with an owner of a cigar shop in Sac. And when in town I stop by and smoke a couple, so takes 2-3 hours, at least. All I can tell you is that I see loads of people come in and buy Drew flavoreds while real cigars (to me) sit. Can't explain it save for marketing, hype and new smokers not really having access nor experience with great tobaccos of old. So, sadly, not just your store, I've been observing it for years now. Like I said before, have no idea who and why buys Gurkha, some are vile, literally, while others are no more than average, at best, but the guy is a genius at marketing, and I see Gurkhas sell while some great cigars do not.

Understand what you're saying and experiencing, but not surprised, by any means. Sadly so.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#246 Post by Alan Eden » May 31st, 2019, 8:29 pm

Missed my Cigars tonight, looking forward to nice Davidoff Double R Churchill for the Champions league final tomorrow. I do like a nice Double R

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#247 Post by Phil Smith » June 2nd, 2019, 5:09 pm

Bunch over the weekend… A few random Fuentes at random ages, a couple of Davidoff Winston Churchills old and new, and a Don Carlos Personal Reserve tonight. I love that cigar

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#248 Post by Randy Bowman » June 2nd, 2019, 6:46 pm

2019 Alec Bradley Black Market Filthy Hooligan. Toro in size it is a barber pole with Claro, (Candela), and Maduro wrapper. Oddest combination. Kinda like a blend of Chardonnay and Cabernet in layers. It is actually a fun smoke if your attention is to the flavors of the cigar. It is a chameleon, changing or blending flavors the entire length. The flavor range is also unique, from "Claro" lawn green to Maduro dark roast coffee. Earthy and toasty notes chased by nuttiness, then by grass, then by pepper. Now a combination of those flavors followed by dark roast coffee. There is also some sweetness so I would recommend something neutral/not sweet to drink with it. I'm having a blended Scotch, (Dewars), with water, so it doesn't impart much flavor to interfere, yet still provide some palate cleaning to refresh the flavors of the cigar.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Cigars - UnOfficial thread

#249 Post by Randy Bowman » December 11th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Almost a month late and with back orders, part of our God of Fire Opus X cigars arrived today. We got one Opus 22 Heaven and Earth, a fair number of the Opus X Story, Forbidden X/travel humidors and one ten count Forbidden Purple Rain Maduro travel humidor, which sold in an hour. The packaging was commensurate with cost/price.
opus22.jpg
forbidden.jpg
purplerain.jpg

Jason Hagen

Re: Cigars - UnOfficial thread

#250 Post by Jason Hagen » December 11th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Beautiful. It has been 2 months since I have smoked a cigar but was digging through the humidor today. Will report back.

J

Return to “Beer and Spirits”