What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
ERPark

#151 Post by ERPark » February 16th, 2016, 2:34 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:Got some news for you guys. I have a customer who used to come in with a group of guys every Thursday, pick a cigar and order a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. I gagged at the thought. Citrus and cigars? I learned something new when I tried it. The acidity in the SB works well to strip the tar off your taste buds and make the cigar's flavors fresh and sharp. Both maintain their inherent flavors and didn't compete with or diminish the other like I thought it would. (Wouldn't recommend a maduro though.)
Wow, would've never thought of that pairing. Gotta remember to try it sometime.
GEN3

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#152 Post by Alan Eden » February 16th, 2016, 8:39 pm

Keep on saying, champagne and Cohiba, match made in heaven
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Jason Hagen

#153 Post by Jason Hagen » February 27th, 2016, 9:50 am

Smoked an Illusione Epernay while in Nashville. Most excellent! Nice medium cigar. About a 50 minute smoke.

Jason

stevetimko

#154 Post by stevetimko » February 28th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Gotta give props to Reno boy Dion Giollotto for his Illusione brand.
I've starting smoking cigars in a pipe. I bought a Churchwarden style pipe with a long shaft to cool the smoke.

It changes the flavor of cigars. I think it detracts from a good cigar but it can make average and mediocre cigars creamier and can take away some of the harshness.
I sampled four kinds of pipe tobacco at a local store and none really rang my bell. Two were aromatic.
Illegitimati non carborundum

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#155 Post by G. Bienstock » March 3rd, 2016, 8:24 pm

Randy Bowman really hit it out of the park with his recco of AJ Fernandez New World. This value priced box pressed superstar is a potent complex and very well constructed gar.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Gerry Morrisey

#156 Post by Gerry Morrisey » March 9th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Took advantage of the weather to enjoy a Liga Privada #9 and a generous pour of Elmer T Lee.
Attachments
0309161450.jpg
0309161450.jpg (29.07 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

Jason Hagen

#157 Post by Jason Hagen » March 26th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Gerry Morrisey wrote:Took advantage of the weather to enjoy a Liga Privada #9 and a generous pour of Elmer T Lee.

This all looks very tasty.

Nolan E

#158 Post by Nolan E » March 26th, 2016, 7:49 pm

G. Bienstock wrote:potent
A positive note?
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Nolan E

#159 Post by Nolan E » March 31st, 2016, 2:44 pm

Por Larrañaga Montecarlo
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (16.62 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by Randy Bowman » March 31st, 2016, 7:30 pm

Estaban Carreras Bronze Cross. Little bit of a shock when I lit it, getting a bitter hot draw. Now I remember why you toast the cigar before lighting it. Settled right down with a smooth draw and full flavors. On the strong side but tasty with multiple layers and flavors that build as I reach the half way mark. I chased flavors of pecans, cedar, cinnamon and occasional white pepper that accented heightened tobacco flavors right down to the nub, when the toothpick caught fire.

Full bodied. Will take on whiskeys, bourbons, single malts, ports and even drinks with juice or sweet sodas. Value priced too.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#161 Post by Alan Eden » April 7th, 2016, 10:33 pm

I so want a cigar right now

A nice full bodied cuban like a Bolivar or Punch Double Corona
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#162 Post by Travis Fantz » April 9th, 2016, 10:17 pm

Nolan.
Nice pic!
I have finished off a Fuente 858 rosado tonight. I really like that cigar. I smoke two a month of those just hoping to get another box in the fall.

Any opinion on the best cigar that comes in a tube. I need to order a box for a golfing tournament
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

stevetimko

#163 Post by stevetimko » April 11th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Travis Fantz wrote:Nolan.
Nice pic!
I have finished off a Fuente 858 rosado tonight. I really like that cigar. I smoke two a month of those just hoping to get another box in the fall.

Any opinion on the best cigar that comes in a tube. I need to order a box for a golfing tournament
Travis:
I'm not clear if you need the tubes because you're giving them as a gift or for your own use. These collapsible tubes work well. They take cigars of a ring gauge up to 52.

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#164 Post by Travis Fantz » April 12th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Steve,
I take them golfing and give them to buddies on the course. Typically I can throw a few in the front of the golf cart and I am set for the day.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#165 Post by Randy Bowman » April 12th, 2016, 6:59 pm

Had an Estaban Carreras Barber pole on the golf course today. Very flavorful for a just under medium body cigar and reasonably priced too.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#166 Post by Alan Eden » April 16th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Partegas P2 last night, great cigar

I still cant find that earthy creamy chocolate complexity outside of Cuba, lots of other great cigars but i supposed its just like wine. For some people you just cant replace aged Bdx or Burgs, loads of other great wines but you keep on coming back. I am the same with cuban cigars

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#167 Post by Alan Eden » April 23rd, 2016, 3:42 pm

Had the new release Liga Privada Feral pig last night

This is a unique cigar, big full strong Nicaraguan flavor with a maduro wrapper, interestingly the expected pepper is not there which for me is great as im not a fan of spicy cigars

If you see these, try one but just dont make it a first cigar and make sure you are ready for a powerful smoke, definetly not a novice cigar, it is one of best full cigars ive ever smoked

stevetimko

#168 Post by stevetimko » April 26th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Great obsessive compulsive disorder anecdote to share. I'm at a cigar shop and a customer -- not a staff member -- begins walking around emptying the black ceramic ash trays on the table and cleaning them with a towel. He doesn't touch the stainless steel ashtrays.
I guess he does this after he's had a drink or too. He loses that inhibition and the OCD kicks in.

stevetimko

#169 Post by stevetimko » May 25th, 2016, 10:47 am

How much spoof will we accept in our cigars? The ACID cigars are all flavored. Too much for me. I don't want to smoke them. The George Rico American Puro that I've discussed on this board before has some Kentucky tobacco that has been fire-cured, giving some additional smokiness. I like that.

stevetimko

#170 Post by stevetimko » May 31st, 2016, 11:04 am

Has anyone ever done the roll-your-own for cigars? There's a web site called Leaf Only that sells tobacco for people who want to roll their own. Some of it looks interesting. Like ligero cured to use as a wrapper. But it's expensive. It looks like stuff my local boutique cigar shop buys for $11 or $12 a pound they sell for $40 a pound. And they have some Connecticut shade wrapper selling for $75 a pound.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#171 Post by Randy Bowman » June 16th, 2016, 7:44 pm

stevetimko wrote:Has anyone ever done the roll-your-own for cigars? There's a web site called Leaf Only that sells tobacco for people who want to roll their own. Some of it looks interesting. Like ligero cured to use as a wrapper. But it's expensive. It looks like stuff my local boutique cigar shop buys for $11 or $12 a pound they sell for $40 a pound. And they have some Connecticut shade wrapper selling for $75 a pound.
Somehow or another, it sounds like buying a kit Cobra for $28K when you have no knowledge of mechanics and none of the tools. You have to figure a learning curve to teach yourself how to roll a proper cigar. It's not like rolling a joint. [oops.gif]

stevetimko

#172 Post by stevetimko » June 16th, 2016, 11:23 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
stevetimko wrote:Has anyone ever done the roll-your-own for cigars? There's a web site called Leaf Only that sells tobacco for people who want to roll their own. Some of it looks interesting. Like ligero cured to use as a wrapper. But it's expensive. It looks like stuff my local boutique cigar shop buys for $11 or $12 a pound they sell for $40 a pound. And they have some Connecticut shade wrapper selling for $75 a pound.
Somehow or another, it sounds like buying a kit Cobra for $28K when you have no knowledge of mechanics and none of the tools. You have to figure a learning curve to teach yourself how to roll a proper cigar. It's not like rolling a joint. [oops.gif]
This is a third generation Nicaraguan who rolls cigars here in Sparks. He makes it look simple. But like I said, third generation.

By the way, his cigars are good and pretty cheap, if you're looking for a house cigar.
[video][/video]

Jason Hagen

#173 Post by Jason Hagen » November 12th, 2016, 1:15 pm

It has been awhile but got together with some friends to watch MNF last week and had a Crowned Heads Tennessee Waltz. A terrific cigar. I always pick a few up when in Nashville. I think this one was about 3 years old.

http://www.crownedheads.com/cigars/tennessee-waltz/

Jason

Jason Hagen

#174 Post by Jason Hagen » November 25th, 2016, 9:08 am

Sticking with Crowned Heads, I had their Four Kicks Piramide. A really nice cigar. Earthy and spicy. Perfect draw and smokes nice and even.

Jason

Jay Selman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cigars - UnOfficial thread

#175 Post by Jay Selman » February 3rd, 2017, 12:58 pm

I am new to cigars but want to lean more. Based on responses, Mr French can decide where it goes from here.

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#176 Post by T. Altmayer » February 3rd, 2017, 1:54 pm

So hard to know where to begin. My first rule is not to smoke cigars and drink wine. I make exceptions to this at the end of the evening, but never with wine I want to savor. Great with a glass of Rye, but that is my preference.

Second, don't buy cigars by the box, at least initially. Experiment with different shapes and intensities. I prefer lighter wrappers which can be less intense (although that is not always true). Its kind of like California v. Old World, you may develop a preference on the level of intensity or you can like them both. The key is to realize that one person's can't miss cigar may not be your style. Right now I'm into some Arturo Fuente Rosado Sungrown Magnum R Vitola 44 that I bought recently, but my neighbor thinks they are just ok, not enough umph.

Finally, try cigars from all over. Sure, Cuban cigars can be great, but so can ones from the Dominican, Nicaragua, etc. Its somewhat like wines in that your best research is by trying them.

I try to buy locally because its fun to go into cigar shops and, if you tell them what you like, they can really steer you in the right direction.
Tom

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#177 Post by Randy Bowman » February 3rd, 2017, 8:08 pm

We consider Arturo Fuente's standard line of cigars as the prime example of medium body. The Chateau and Double Chateau are offered in natural, sungrown and maduro wrapper. Arturo Fuente is also a prime example of quality cigars. Try one each of the Chateaus to discover the flavor profile differences and to determine if you need a lighter or stronger cigar.

In this day and age, tobacco blending in cigars has become an art form on a parallel to wines being released these days. Never thought I'd see a wine that was Cab, Syrah, Petite Syrah and Carignan, let alone being drawn to it because of the flavor profile.

Never buy a box of cigars until you've tried several of them individually to determine consistency, quality and desirable flavor profile. Your taste in cigars will change just like it has with your wine, unless you become a Macanudo and Chianti die hard.

Just like Wine Spectator and Wine Advocate, there are magazines and website that rate cigars. You might find one that gives high scores to cigars in your flavor profile and follow their recommendations. One caveat. Some of the raters are advancing in age and losing sense of smell and taste. Some ratings have moving towards stronger cigars, just like it did with higher alcohol wines.

The Flor de las Antillas Toro by My Father Cigars, was the number one cigar of 2012 according to Cigar Aficianado. It is one of my better sellers to this day, unlike many other number one's, BUT, I enjoy the cigar and recommend it customers. When go through 2 boxes a week in the winter and up to 5 boxes a week in the summer.

Just like winemakers who work for others, then bring out their own brand(s), so it goes for cigar blenders. E. P. Carrillo and A. J. Fernandez are a couple of good examples.

Just like in the wine industry, there are those people who have full time jobs and decide they want to be cigar producers. They contract with certain cigar companies or blenders, establish their vision of the product and go into business. Even winery owners and vineyard/winery owners get involved. Herb Lamb had his own cigars as does Fred Schrader.

There are groups who hold blind tastings of cigars and/or have theme dinners/cocktails with cigar parings.

No cigars with wine? Change the wine you are drinking. The down side is the tar build up on your taste buds. Remember the old pictures of cigar smokers with their Cognac? The high alcohol strips the tar from the taste buds. Works the same with wine, BUT, Sauvignon Blanc is the exception. While an SB doesn't sound like it would go with a cigar, those with higher acidity cleanse the palate very well and the cigar can overpower the citrus notes.

Cigars give you trench mouth in the morning? Brush your tongue. It's coated with tar. I don't mean the top of your tongue. The whole thing. Front, middle, back and the most often missed sides of you tongue.

If you thought being a wine connoisseur was high maintenance, cigars are twice that.

Ron Kramer

#178 Post by Ron Kramer » February 3rd, 2017, 8:29 pm

A lot of new information for me. thanks.

Jason Hagen

#179 Post by Jason Hagen » February 4th, 2017, 8:20 am

Post your findings here. http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 8&t=107829

Looks like you now have great advice. Assuming your office is still in the same place, you should visit (maybe you already have) Maxamar Cigars on Chapman. Great selection of generally small batch cigars.

Jason

James Wright

#180 Post by James Wright » February 4th, 2017, 8:41 am

T. Altmayer wrote:So hard to know where to begin. My first rule is not to smoke cigars and drink wine. I make exceptions to this at the end of the evening, but never with wine I want to savor. Great with a glass of Rye, but that is my preference.

Second, don't buy cigars by the box, at least initially. Experiment with different shapes and intensities. I prefer lighter wrappers which can be less intense (although that is not always true). Its kind of like California v. Old World, you may develop a preference on the level of intensity or you can like them both. The key is to realize that one person's can't miss cigar may not be your style. Right now I'm into some Arturo Fuente Rosado Sungrown Magnum R Vitola 44 that I bought recently, but my neighbor thinks they are just ok, not enough umph.

Finally, try cigars from all over. Sure, Cuban cigars can be great, but so can ones from the Dominican, Nicaragua, etc. Its somewhat like wines in that your best research is by trying them.

I try to buy locally because its fun to go into cigar shops and, if you tell them what you like, they can really steer you in the right direction.

i like maduros myself,
but oddly enough, one of the most intensely flavoured cigars i ever smoked was a Montecruz 210 triple claro
that i got from Dunhill in San Francisco long about 1982...
~ Verteidiger der Wahrheit ~

Rick.T

#181 Post by Rick.T » February 4th, 2017, 8:22 pm

Great advice; I still rarely purchase boxes as I like to try a little bit of everything except for flavored cigars. I like Cubans but have found numerous NC sticks that are incredible. I'm OCD so I quickly moved from one humidor to five. When I purchase my next home, I'll purchase a large cabinet.
T~@~n**d~y

James Wright

#182 Post by James Wright » February 5th, 2017, 5:16 am

i would typically smoke a €17 Havana in Vienna, usually Romeo & Julieta or Rey del Mundo or Montecristo,

but i actually like Dominican cigars better; Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Signature is my favourite, after decades of Royal Jamaican Double Coronas and H Upmann 2000s and Punch Robusto Maduros

funny thing about Vienna is that when you pay €17 for one of them there weeds, they still make you pay €0,30 for a box of matches to light the damn thing with...
~ Verteidiger der Wahrheit ~

Jay Selman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#183 Post by Jay Selman » February 8th, 2017, 1:04 pm

I am a newbie so i have been buying in sets of 3. This new hobby and get pricey.

Kent Comley

#184 Post by Kent Comley » February 8th, 2017, 5:16 pm

I only buy the ones that are rolled between virgin's thighs!
ITB

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#185 Post by Jim Anderson » February 8th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Jay Selman wrote:I am a newbie so i have been buying in sets of 3. This new hobby and get pricey.
From Crimson Tide:

Capt. Ramsey: How do you like that cigar?
Hunter: It's good, sir.
Capt. Ramsey: It's your first?
Hunter: [coughing] Yeah.
Capt. Ramsey: Well, don't like it too much. They're more expensive than drugs.

I decided a while ago that while I like smoking cigars I like it better when I smoke the occasional one. You definitely have to wash whatever you were wearing and if it's a sport coat or something that's a trip to the dry cleaners. Not a fan. I don't mind having a drink by myself but I need someone to smoke a cigar with and given that I spend a decent amount of time on my own...fewer cigars. The point is that when I do smoke cigars I am willing to pay a relatively high amount. I like Davidoffs a lot. Any good Corona is nice but I have come to enjoy the smoothness and consistency of the Davidoffs. Like the Grand Cru No. 4 a lot.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#186 Post by Randy Bowman » February 8th, 2017, 8:35 pm

I smoked a 20th Anniversary Arturo Fuente "Believe" during Super Bowl. It took me places I hadn't been before. My go to cigars are Padron Maduro for an enjoyable cigar, Dominican Cohiba with big wines or Scotch and Padron 1964 Maduro when I want to be left alone with a full flavored cigar. The AF 20 was sneakily smooth, slow burning and tasty. It almost seemed mild but I was getting a buzz. The flavor profile was consistent until the toothpick in the nub started burning. Expensive, but if you can find one, get it, kick everybody out and be one with that cigar.

Nolan E

#187 Post by Nolan E » February 8th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Jim Anderson wrote:
Jay Selman wrote:I am a newbie so i have been buying in sets of 3. This new hobby and get pricey.
From Crimson Tide:

Capt. Ramsey: How do you like that cigar?
Hunter: It's good, sir.
Capt. Ramsey: It's your first?
Hunter: [coughing] Yeah.
Capt. Ramsey: Well, don't like it too much. They're more expensive than drugs.

I decided a while ago that while I like smoking cigars I like it better when I smoke the occasional one. You definitely have to wash whatever you were wearing and if it's a sport coat or something that's a trip to the dry cleaners. Not a fan. I don't mind having a drink by myself but I need someone to smoke a cigar with and given that I spend a decent amount of time on my own...fewer cigars. The point is that when I do smoke cigars I am willing to pay a relatively high amount. I like Davidoffs a lot. Any good Corona is nice but I have come to enjoy the smoothness and consistency of the Davidoffs. Like the Grand Cru No. 4 a lot.
Jim, I feel the same way about smoking. I only do it socially. If you get a hankering, give me a shout. I have a pretty decent stash.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Greg Taylor

#188 Post by Greg Taylor » February 9th, 2017, 1:56 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:I smoked a 20th Anniversary Arturo Fuente "Believe" during Super Bowl.
It took me places I hadn't been before

Was gonna say something really funny here... but the gentleman in me took over. neener
Greg T.

http://www.taylorandnorton.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brandon R

#189 Post by Brandon R » September 11th, 2017, 10:22 am

Being a cigar novice, my experience is minimal other than the fact that I like them occasionally (6 max per year). I'm going on a golf trip coming up, so I grabbed a few at the local cigar shop based on his advice:

El Gueguense Robusto
Oliva Serie V Meanio Robusto
Guardian of the Farm JJ
Fuente Don Carlos Double Robust

So, how did I [he] do? Any of these better than the others, in your opinions?
B. Redman

Louis Demers

#190 Post by Louis Demers » September 11th, 2017, 12:19 pm

There lots of things to learn and try in the cigar world.

1- tar build up is usually caused because your RH is too high for the tobacco mix and fire : dry box a day or two before lighting up

2-The bigger the cigar does not mean an harsher experience (especially in Cubans), usually they are more smooth (ex: a monte 2 vs a monte 1) and the smaller guage will show a big profil (expecially if they are young)

3-Cigars are like wine, you can age them if they are properly stored. For most Cubans it is true but for some NC you will loss the flavors profile meant to be had ( EX; A DE Flying pig with age is nice but you are not getting the PIG Punch you are looking for when your buying those)

4-Never put flavoured cigar with your 'normal' ones

5- Great Cubans are the easy target/example but there are ems to be found in Nicaragua (a bit less in the Rep Dom for me but still.) :
-AF is a classic for most of the lineup and a usually cheap cigar
-FF Opus x are nice if you like having a nic buzz and your ass kicked ( a few exception but for the most aprt they are big guns)
-AF Anejo are prob the best of the whole AF line up IMO
-Drew Estate ( not the flavored ones, all the rest MUWAT, UnderCrown, etc)
-Illusione is hard to beat price wise as they are one of the best P/Q Ratio I've seen since I've started smoking
-The classic Padron, I have still to find one I did no like ( even the x000 line is a nice stick)
-Tatuaje and their endless special run cigars are usually a good choice
-Viaje if you like the full flavor treatement (Skull and bones lineup come to mind)
-If you have the chance to go to Vegas: Arturo Fuente Casa Fuente are the single best NC you can find ( but they are Cuban level expensive if not more)
-there are lots of lesser known brand to try ( Olivia, Pedromo, Aurora, and I am missing a bunch I know)

If your about to grab a Cuban name from the Dom Rep I would advise you select something else as they are for 99% of them an ugly experience ( IMO).

6-Don't go to a internet forum and ask for sources, it is considered impolite and you will get picked on to say the least. Register, post and intro and interact for a couple of months ( yes months) and read, read, read!

Take your time, try out different stuff before going deep on a brand ( must like wine) .

Hope this helps!

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#191 Post by CJ Beazley » September 11th, 2017, 1:13 pm

Brandon R wrote:Being a cigar novice, my experience is minimal other than the fact that I like them occasionally (6 max per year). I'm going on a golf trip coming up, so I grabbed a few at the local cigar shop based on his advice:

El Gueguense Robusto
Guardian of the Farm JJ

Depends on where you're playing
It's C(raig)

Brandon R

#192 Post by Brandon R » September 11th, 2017, 2:38 pm

CJ Beazley wrote:
Brandon R wrote:Being a cigar novice, my experience is minimal other than the fact that I like them occasionally (6 max per year). I'm going on a golf trip coming up, so I grabbed a few at the local cigar shop based on his advice:

El Gueguense Robusto
Guardian of the Farm JJ

I don't get it.

Bend, OR.
B. Redman

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#193 Post by CJ Beazley » September 11th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Brandon R wrote:
CJ Beazley wrote:

El Gueguense Robusto
Guardian of the Farm JJ

I don't get it.

Bend, OR.
Kidding, I kid.
It's C(raig)

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#194 Post by Randy Bowman » September 11th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Brandon, the Oliva Milanio Figurado was a number one cigar several years back. Pretty big, spicy and quite tasty. It could cripple a novice so it's a good thing it's a shorter Robusto.

The Don Carlos is a benchmark cigar. Highly consistent, medium plus, flavorful with a touch of spice and smooth.

The El Gueguense is another spicy cigar, leaning towards pepper and closing in on full-bodied.

I've not tried the Guardian of the Farm but know it too is medium plus with pepper and spice.

If you are playing golf, smoking these sticks and having cocktails, I hope it's a benefit scramble round that don't care about winning, just having fun. And remember, when everything kicks and you are addressing the ball, choose the middle one or a point that covers both balls, depending on how many you see.

Mark Mason

#195 Post by Mark Mason » September 12th, 2017, 7:23 am

Louis, Could expand on the "dry box" comment? My humidor runs on the higher side of humidity, should I be removing the cigars a day or two before smoking them? Does a ziplock bag work? Will this change the flavor or just the way it burns?
Hard water fisherman

Brandon R

#196 Post by Brandon R » September 12th, 2017, 8:19 am

Randy Bowman wrote:Brandon, the Oliva Milanio Figurado was a number one cigar several years back. Pretty big, spicy and quite tasty. It could cripple a novice so it's a good thing it's a shorter Robusto.

The Don Carlos is a benchmark cigar. Highly consistent, medium plus, flavorful with a touch of spice and smooth.

The El Gueguense is another spicy cigar, leaning towards pepper and closing in on full-bodied.

I've not tried the Guardian of the Farm but know it too is medium plus with pepper and spice.

If you are playing golf, smoking these sticks and having cocktails, I hope it's a benefit scramble round that don't care about winning, just having fun. And remember, when everything kicks and you are addressing the ball, choose the middle one or a point that covers both balls, depending on how many you see.
Randy, thank you. That's very helpful - exactly what I was hoping for. This is a very casual couple of rounds and I'm not married to enjoying these on the course necessarily. It's a group of 10 college buddies escaping reality for a few days and enjoying golf, exceptional beers of Bend, and a river float. Should be fun. Thanks for the insight.
B. Redman

Louis Demers

#197 Post by Louis Demers » September 13th, 2017, 9:39 am

Mark Mason wrote:Louis, Could expand on the "dry box" comment? My humidor runs on the higher side of humidity, should I be removing the cigars a day or two before smoking them? Does a ziplock bag work? Will this change the flavor or just the way it burns?

Hey Mark!

Yes zip lock can do the trick ( or a lock&lock container sold at wallmart most of the newbies use for a first humidor).
Being into cigars for years I have a spare humidor that does the trick as I turned to cooler for the whole stash long ago.

The idea is to slowly let the rh lower on the cigar so yes 1-2 day is correct but 3-4 wont hurt also). Remember that most cigars are shipped world wide with system to keep a stable rh in transport. Thats said donc leave a cigar for month on a counter once its drys out (I mean dryed not bowed a couple of days) the cigar will never be the same even after you re humidify.

There will be no changes per say to the flavor profile in the dry boxing method ( it may be better as the tar build up burns and add a bad taste).

When you say runs on the high side of the RH I suppose it's 70% ? Shoot for 64-65% with boveda packs ( which are just a wonderful product for us cigar smokers). Higher RH will not do anything except help a tar build up IMO.

Hope this helps!

Mark Mason

#198 Post by Mark Mason » September 13th, 2017, 9:50 am

Thank you for this information.
Hard water fisherman

Louis Demers

#199 Post by Louis Demers » September 13th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Mark Mason wrote:Thank you for this information.
Pleasure !

That said, with halloween around the corner look for the little monsters box release ( if tatuaje still makes them) a nice mix and match of small cigars that has a good following.

Tim McCracken

#200 Post by Tim McCracken » September 13th, 2017, 6:22 pm

I took the advice from a local Cigar shop and basically bought ten different cigars. As I smoked them I learned what I liked and what I didn't. I settled in on the robusto size cigar. Now my go-to-cigar is the Partagas D4. The best I had was aged D4 2010 Special Edition. Unfortunately I have none left and they are impossible to find. I am waiting for Partagas to come up with a new D4 Special Edition, and I will stock my humidor and age them.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”