What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#101 Post by Jud Reis » April 19th, 2015, 12:07 am

An occasional smoker, but really enjoyed sitting out at night with a cigar and a bourbon on a recent vacation in Florida.

Couple of questions - I really enjoyed an H. Upmann Banker - any other suggestions for similar mild flavor profile cigars? Second, any suggestions for a good "starter" humidor and where to buy one?

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Alan Eden » April 19th, 2015, 1:27 am

Jud

Not familiar with that cigar, is that a Cuban upmann or a Dominican ?

For a nice mild cigar look for a conneticut wrapper, good examples would be Ashton Cabinet, E J carillo, Romeo and Juliet etc

When you say starter humidor, how many sticks ? you looking for basic or something fancy ?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Alan Eden » April 19th, 2015, 1:29 am

Smoking one my favourites today, the Davidoff Diadema, a wonderful full bodied cigar
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by Jud Reis » April 19th, 2015, 6:27 am

Alan Eden wrote:Jud

Not familiar with that cigar, is that a Cuban upmann or a Dominican ?

For a nice mild cigar look for a conneticut wrapper, good examples would be Ashton Cabinet, E J carillo, Romeo and Juliet etc

When you say starter humidor, how many sticks ? you looking for basic or something fancy ?
Alan - I assume it must be a Dominican as I bought it in a retail store in Florida. Basic humidor is fine, probably not more than a couple dozen cigars at max at a time. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

stevetimko

#105 Post by stevetimko » April 25th, 2015, 2:01 pm

It's with some trepidation I am getting into cigars. No. 1 I don't have the money to spend on another habit right now. And No. 2, even if they're not as bad as cigarettes, they're still not good for you. It started with the Undercrown pictured above. I had a minor victory over bureaucracy and decided to celebrate for some reason with a cigar. I don't know why. I went to a smokeshop and was looking through the case. One of the employees came up and offered to help. I said I wanted the best cigar under $10. He recommended the Undercrown. He said it was rated 97 points by the Cigar Advocate (Robert Parker's reach!). So I'm a points chaser and I decided to try it. It was the first cigar I actually enjoyed. It was also so big I smoked it in two different periods.
It inspired me to try some more. I stopped by a local place that handrolls them. I told the guy about the Undercrown but he wasn't familar with them. He helped me pick out three and then tossed in this torpedo as a bonus.
I smoked this today. It was just okay. Nothing to get me excited. But I've got three more to try. I ran into a reitred police lieutenant today and he and his buddies were stocking up for a fishing trip tomorrow. They bought dozens. I don't have a humidor and given the fragility of the cigars I will buy as needed.
Is wine storage a decent substitute for a humidor?
Illegitimati non carborundum

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Alan Eden » April 25th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Steve

Firstly, dont know about flavour but those cigars are rolled like crap. The filler is nowhere near packed tightly enough and the wrapper is loose, the end result is they will burn hot and fast with a loose draw.

With regards to wine storage being used for cigars, it is not ideal cigars want temp and humidity around 65 degrees and 65-70% lower temp would not be that bad but humidity outside of 62-72 % for more than a few days will hurt the cigars

stevetimko

#107 Post by stevetimko » April 25th, 2015, 4:13 pm

Are you criticizing the roll of both cigars? The top one was smoked, extinguished and stored for several days and then smoked again.

ERPark

#108 Post by ERPark » April 26th, 2015, 12:46 am

Funny I stumble across this thread. Was a devoted cigar smoker from the mid 90s till 2010. Attended the Cigar Aficionado Big Smoke events in Las Vegas for a good number of those years, as well as did my best to "accidentally" pack Cuban cigars when returning from foreign locations. Still have tubos of Montecristo #4s that I brought back from a business trip to South Korea in 1998, and they've been smoking better and better as they've aged.

Then I slowed down considerably with the birth of my second son in 2010. Weird thing is that my opportunities to smoke in ideal situations (rounds of golf and in poker games) have only increased during that time, but for whatever reason the desire to smoke decreased dramatically. My 3 humidors have seen little action since then, other than recharging.

Fast forward to today, and it's been 24 hours since I've returned from a week long trip to Curaçao. While there, a buddy in Arizona texted me asking if I'd get him some Cubans for a trip we're taking in September to Key West. While I was planning to bring him some of mine that I already own, I spied a couple of stores in downtown Willemstad sporting the Habanos logo and of course walk in. Man oh man, I'd forgotten how wonderful a shop full of legit Cuban cigars can smell, even with no one actually smoking in there.

End result - I was able to bring a full box of Partagas Lusitanias back with me. My buddy will get 5 of them, while the rest are going to age for a good long time. But now the desire to smoke has returned, and I'll be hitting the course this week with a stogie in hand. Hopefully, my GHIN won't take a hit for doing so....... [whistle.gif]

TL;DR - devoted cigar smoker goes into hibernation for 5 years, but now plans to emerge
GEN3

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by G. Bienstock » April 26th, 2015, 6:45 am

Steve let's plan a dinner and gars soon.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

stevetimko

#110 Post by stevetimko » April 26th, 2015, 5:46 pm

I just ordered a cigar torch and cutter. Is there something other than a cigar box people use to carry cigars and accessories? For instance, I want to take Glenn up on the dinner offer. What's the best way to get stoogies and lighter and cutter there?

stevetimko

#111 Post by stevetimko » April 26th, 2015, 5:46 pm

I just ordered a cigar torch and cutter. Is there something other than a cigar box people use to carry cigars and accessories? For instance, I want to take Glenn up on the dinner offer. What's the best way to get stoogies and lighter and cutter there?

ericskitei

#112 Post by ericskitei » April 26th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Cuban Partagas. Delicious.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Randy Bowman » April 26th, 2015, 7:46 pm

stevetimko wrote:I just ordered a cigar torch and cutter. Is there something other than a cigar box people use to carry cigars and accessories? For instance, I want to take Glenn up on the dinner offer. What's the best way to get stoogies and lighter and cutter there?
A golf bag is good, but there are a number of travel humidors that have pockets and pouches for the accessories. You can also buy a torch that has a cutter or punch, (one more thing to break). For a short trip, I find a zip lock baggie is ideal. Holds cigars, cutter, lighter and if necessary, a humi-pack or soaked cedar stick.

If you are flying, don't take the torch. Cutter in the suitcase and cigars in the ziplock baggie with wood matches or cedar strips and book matches.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Alan Eden » April 26th, 2015, 7:53 pm

stevetimko wrote:Are you criticizing the roll of both cigars? The top one was smoked, extinguished and stored for several days and then smoked again.
Steve

They both look very loose, I would not be happy with either

In terms of starting a cigar and then coming back to it, this is not generally recommended the first smoking causes the whole cigar to have smoke passed through it and then stopping cause this smoke to affect the remainder of the cigar causing an unpleasant experience. If you know your not going to finish a cigar then the best thing is to cut in half before lighting and just smoke half.

Alan

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by G. Bienstock » April 26th, 2015, 8:59 pm

Steve it is your lucky day. I just remembered I have an extra starter humidor you are welcome to have. Maybe Wednesday as I will be working from home.

A ziplock with a drop or 2 of water is fine for transportation. For a short trip to my house a dry ziplock is fine.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

stevetimko

#116 Post by stevetimko » April 27th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
stevetimko wrote:Are you criticizing the roll of both cigars? The top one was smoked, extinguished and stored for several days and then smoked again.
Steve

They both look very loose, I would not be happy with either

In terms of starting a cigar and then coming back to it, this is not generally recommended the first smoking causes the whole cigar to have smoke passed through it and then stopping cause this smoke to affect the remainder of the cigar causing an unpleasant experience. If you know your not going to finish a cigar then the best thing is to cut in half before lighting and just smoke half.

Alan
That Undercrown so far has been my epiphany cigar. I enjoyed it when I lit it up and I enjoyed it when I came back to it several days later.
On the other hand, I've smoked three of the four cigars I bought at the handroll place locally and haven't liked one of them. Part of the problem is that I didn't give the shop owner much direction of what I wanted. I think he gave me all mild cigars. That Undercrown is medium full, I guess.
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/ciga ... ndercrown/
I bought La Aroma de Cuba today at Total Wine. Cigar Aficionado rated it 93 points. It's okay, better than the three from the local shop, but nothing to get me excited.

Maybe I'm at the stage like learning to like wine. I like the big, over-the-top cigars to start and I will develop a taste for the more restrained later.
Total Wine also carries the Undercrown. I bought one I will split with Glenn. Oddly enough, they're about a buck cheaper than the Indian smoke shop. The smoke shop pays no taxes, so you'd think they'd be cheaper there.
By the way, those Djeep lighters throw out a serious flame. I probably would not have ordered the cigar torch if I had bought one of these first. It was only $2 at Total Wine.
Last edited by stevetimko on April 27th, 2015, 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jason Hagen

#117 Post by Jason Hagen » April 27th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Picked up a few of these cigars for $3 a pop. They were made for the store in Westin called, Smoke on the Water. I should have bought more.
Attachments
IMG_0641.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg (10.34 KiB) Viewed 2297 times

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by Scott Jameson » April 28th, 2015, 5:08 am

What is the best way to "revive" a cigar ?

I enjoy a cigar very occasionally and have accumulated 20 or 30 various cigars over the years. Most are kept in cigar boxes in my wine room where both the temp and humidity are lower than ideal for the cigars, and I found a few in a drawer in the pantry. Any suggestions on how to bring them back to good condition ? Is there any way to tell if they're past the "point of no return" ? Thanks !

ERPark

#119 Post by ERPark » April 28th, 2015, 4:46 pm

Scott Jameson wrote:What is the best way to "revive" a cigar ?

I enjoy a cigar very occasionally and have accumulated 20 or 30 various cigars over the years. Most are kept in cigar boxes in my wine room where both the temp and humidity are lower than ideal for the cigars, and I found a few in a drawer in the pantry. Any suggestions on how to bring them back to good condition ? Is there any way to tell if they're past the "point of no return" ? Thanks !
Get them in some humidors with proper temp and humidity, and check the humidity levels frequently for the first couple weeks. Since they're dried out, they'll be pulling in moisture faster from the beads and/or distilled water sources than cigars that are properly conditioned. Expect a minimum of several months before they're back to proper smoking condition.

Bear in mind that the oils in the tobacco will have been reduced and/or lost, so the flavors won't be as robust. But they still should be more than smokable after you've resuscitated them.

If they do not have the proper amount of "give" when you gently squeeze the cigar after an extended period to try and revive them, those are probably DOA. You'll know if the wrapper (or the cigar itself) falls apart.......
GEN3

stevetimko

#120 Post by stevetimko » April 30th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Glenn and I got together last night for dinner of roasted pork, wine and then some cigars. That's Glenn lighting up the fourth and final of the cigars I got from a local place using my new cigar torch. I actually liked this one. It wasn't an epiphany cigar but it was nice enough. I think I've figured out I like medium to full flavors. I think the guy sold me four mild cigars. This is me holding my half of the cigar.
I also brought another Undercrown. Glenn liked it, but not near as much as I did. I need to focus on the medium to full cigars to see which ones I like best.

F.Daner

#121 Post by F.Daner » May 3rd, 2015, 8:27 am

Olivia Series O Torpedo

I love the line up of Olivia cigars. From mild to full bodies they are really excellent and top quality.
Fred

stevetimko

#122 Post by stevetimko » May 4th, 2015, 8:43 am

I watched three videos on cigar lighting. One guy made a big deal about not lighting the wrapper. The other two didn't mention it. Any thoughts?

stevetimko

#123 Post by stevetimko » May 4th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Also, any recommendations for an inexpensive digital hygrometer?

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Travis Fantz » May 4th, 2015, 8:41 pm

I need a little label help. For the Arturo Fuente Anejo series, I have mixed up some cigars. One has an additional gold back by the label. The other does not. Which one is older?
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

stevetimko

#125 Post by stevetimko » May 7th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Anyone use a cigar jar or know anyone who has used one?

Brett Glasscock

#126 Post by Brett Glasscock » May 14th, 2015, 2:29 pm

stevetimko wrote:Anyone use a cigar jar or know anyone who has used one?
I don't use them but the Cubans do a lot of special releases in them so they can't be all that bad.

Barry Sunderland

#127 Post by Barry Sunderland » May 31st, 2015, 8:06 am

My interest has recently been re-ignited with cigars. Maduros, big chocolately ones at that, have caught my fancy lately, particularly the Padron Serie 1926; $$$, though.

Barry Sunderland

#128 Post by Barry Sunderland » May 31st, 2015, 8:10 am

Barry Sunderland wrote:My interest has recently been re-ignited with cigars. Maduros, big chocolately ones at that, have caught my fancy lately, particularly the Padron Serie 1926; $$$, though.
Throw in the Rocky Patel Winter 2012 maduro torpedo as dark and satisfying. Great value.

Waiting on arrival of my Rocky Patel Super Ligero toros. Robb Report's RCH gives it a Best of the Best, FWIW; reportedly a big, powerful smoke.

JimmyGillingham

#129 Post by JimmyGillingham » June 1st, 2015, 8:25 pm

I have never tried a cigar, but I love the smell inside of cigar shops. Anyway, I just moved from Chicago to Texas and it seems like cigars are very popular here, especially at the golf course clubhouse. I would like to keep some around to share with my new friends and neighbors, but I am not sure what to get. Do you have any suggestions on a good cigar to keep around the house to be able to offer guests? Obviously everyone has his or her own preference, but there have to be some cigars that are generally crowd pleasers. This thread has also convinced me that if I plan on keeping some cigars around I will need a humidor. If you have any suggestions on entry level humidor or features to look for, I would appreciate it.

stevetimko

#130 Post by stevetimko » June 2nd, 2015, 1:16 pm

This was a pretty nice smoke and worth bringing to the group's attention. It is 100 percent American tobacco with a Connecticut Habano wrapper with the rest of the tobacco from other places in the United States. It's listed as medium but the flavors are slightly more intense than other mediums I have smoked. Some of the tobacco is fired-cured in Kentucky. I guess it's supposed to add a hickory flavor but I didn't quite get that. It does have some other wood flavors along with a little bit of molasses and some spices. I enjoyed it.

stevetimko

#131 Post by stevetimko » June 2nd, 2015, 1:26 pm

JimmyGillingham wrote:I have never tried a cigar, but I love the smell inside of cigar shops. Anyway, I just moved from Chicago to Texas and it seems like cigars are very popular here, especially at the golf course clubhouse. I would like to keep some around to share with my new friends and neighbors, but I am not sure what to get. Do you have any suggestions on a good cigar to keep around the house to be able to offer guests? Obviously everyone has his or her own preference, but there have to be some cigars that are generally crowd pleasers. This thread has also convinced me that if I plan on keeping some cigars around I will need a humidor. If you have any suggestions on entry level humidor or features to look for, I would appreciate it.
As far as cigars go, I'd suggest getting some medium-body cigars. If you get too strong of cigars people may not be able to smoke them. Another question is size and shape. Some cigars can last three hours. I don't know if you want to spend three hours smoking a cigar with your friends. And finally there's price.
I just posted about the George Rico American Puro. It's a great cigar. It took about 90 minutes to smoke. And a cigar with all American tobacco is a novelty. According to my local cigar store, most cigars with all American tobacco start at about $35 each. This was about $10. And it had some nice flavors. And it's also not too strong.
If you want to say which metropolitan area you live closest to I can try to recommend a good cigar shop where you can get advice.
Some places in Texas are quite humid, like Houston. So you may or may not need to add something to your humidor to increase humidity. A local cigar shop can help you but Amazon is also a great resource. You'll also want a hygrometer to measure the humidity and temperature. You can used distilled water to regulate humidity or you can buy something like Xikar solution. It is also anti-fungal.

Barry Sunderland

#132 Post by Barry Sunderland » June 16th, 2015, 6:01 am

Rocky Patel Royale Toro
Deep and rich; but not overpowering.
Fab draw with loads of creamy smoke.

stevetimko

#133 Post by stevetimko » June 17th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Has anyone here made a Tuppedor? A humidor out of a Tupperware-style container?
http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-acc ... -stop.html

Jason Hagen

#134 Post by Jason Hagen » June 17th, 2015, 1:09 pm

stevetimko wrote:Has anyone here made a Tuppedor? A humidor out of a Tupperware-style container?
http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-acc ... -stop.html
I've never made one but it seems they are effective. I might make one soon so I can re-season my humi which had been struggling here in the desert.

J

Nolan E

#135 Post by Nolan E » June 20th, 2015, 7:33 pm

I had an Igloodor (Igloo ice chest turned humidor) for years and it worked really well.

It sealed so tight I had to open it to get air circulation once a month or so while I wasn't smoking much. I kept a bunch of cedar blocks in there and at one point had a small battery powered fan just to move air around.

It was so big it encouraged me to buy too many cigars so I got rid of all the junk and now have a smaller wooden humidor stocked with really top notch cigars.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

F.Daner

#136 Post by F.Daner » June 21st, 2015, 4:39 am

Jimmy- try a few yourself and see if you like them but these would be good mild to medium options

Olivia G and Olivia O
Fuente 858

Had an Olivia V Robusto last night(full bodied) after Prime Rib and 2005 Seavey Estate cab. Great cigar and continues to be one of my favorites.
JimmyGillingham wrote:I have never tried a cigar, but I love the smell inside of cigar shops. Anyway, I just moved from Chicago to Texas and it seems like cigars are very popular here, especially at the golf course clubhouse. I would like to keep some around to share with my new friends and neighbors, but I am not sure what to get. Do you have any suggestions on a good cigar to keep around the house to be able to offer guests? Obviously everyone has his or her own preference, but there have to be some cigars that are generally crowd pleasers. This thread has also convinced me that if I plan on keeping some cigars around I will need a humidor. If you have any suggestions on entry level humidor or features to look for, I would appreciate it.
Fred

Nolan E

#137 Post by Nolan E » July 9th, 2015, 8:23 pm

I'll post in here before making a new thread...

Any Bay Area smokers want to get together? I want to light up a nice cigar but smoking is very social for me.

I found one nice place in SF (Occidental Cigar Bar) and there are two options here in Napa (our very own Napa Valley Wine & Cigars and one other shop).

I'm happy to drive to SF or East Bay but I'm not committed to go much further south than that.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

ERPark

#138 Post by ERPark » July 11th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Nolan, I'd be up for a cigar focused offline if the venue were in the City. Occidental is a decent spot, but it's booze only IIRC. Another option in the City to consider is Cigar Bar & Grill:

http://www.cigarbarandgrill.com

They have a decent outside courtyard, as well as food available to order. Pool table, as well.
GEN3

Nolan E

#139 Post by Nolan E » July 11th, 2015, 8:03 pm

I prefer liquor or beer with cigars, wine will get demolished.

Let's see if we get any more interest, hopefully we can set something up before harvest kicks in.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

ERPark

#140 Post by ERPark » July 12th, 2015, 12:32 am

Nolan, not sure if your response is b/c you may be thinking CB&G is beer/wine only? They have a full bar.

Main reason I brought it up is that Occidental gets pretty smoky inside (at least that was the case when I was last there a couple years ago). They're entirely staffed by the proprietors, which lets them use the one loophole CA allows to legally smoke indoors of a public establishment. That being said, ventilation ain't the best IMO. It's a good place to drink that also is the rare spot where you can also light up w/o having to walk outside, but its not a cigar club kinda place. Very old school........
GEN3

ERPark

#141 Post by ERPark » July 27th, 2015, 7:59 am

So coincidentally enough, I ended up meeting NolanE at an offline this past weekend hosted by a non-forumite. Since I knew before I left for the offline that NolanE was going to be in attendance, I brought some Cuban Bolivar #4 cigars that I'd procured when I visited Barbados in 2010. The Bolivars smoked DELIGHTFULLY.
GEN3

Nolan E

#142 Post by Nolan E » July 28th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Gene, thanks again for bringing the cigars and it was good to meet you.

Yes, the Bolivars were wonderful, rich, round and undoubtedly genuine.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

AaronE

#143 Post by AaronE » September 27th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Nolan E wrote:I'll post in here before making a new thread...

Any Bay Area smokers want to get together? I want to light up a nice cigar but smoking is very social for me.

I found one nice place in SF (Occidental Cigar Bar) and there are two options here in Napa (our very own Napa Valley Wine & Cigars and one other shop).

I'm happy to drive to SF or East Bay but I'm not committed to go much further south than that.
Not sure if you've got any traction yet, but I'd be interested. I'm in the East Bay.
E=Ehrlich

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#144 Post by Alan Eden » October 24th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Anyone ever want to smoke and maybe do a few wines and/or whiskies in Chicago, PM me

Louis Demers

#145 Post by Louis Demers » October 28th, 2015, 10:10 am

I am not a frequent poster around here I mostly read because I am a newb at wine. But cigars is a love affair in my life.

I used to smoke many Non Cuban, Illusione being one of my favorite marca but now I tend to stick with the Cubans while cheating rarely with the 'other side'.

If you guys have the chance to have a source for Cubans try Por Larranaga in the medum light range of taste. One of my favorite marca.

If anyone is around Québec city one day I'll be more than pleased to share a stogie at the lounge.

stevetimko

#146 Post by stevetimko » November 5th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Illusione owner Dion Giolito is based here in Reno, where he has the Fumare cigar store. Excellent selection. I'm glad others have heard of them.

Jason Hagen

#147 Post by Jason Hagen » November 6th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Watching MNF I had a Caldwell Collection Eastern Standard - Robusto . Didn't do much for me. A friend was raving about it. Probably could use some time in the humi.

Jason

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#148 Post by Travis Fantz » November 9th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Are there any opinions on the Undercrown Shade?
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#149 Post by Alan Eden » February 15th, 2016, 6:27 pm

Just got a box of 1998 Sosa cigars, fabulous mature robustos.

Its strange, i love young wines but i hate young cigars, give me age anytime

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by Randy Bowman » February 15th, 2016, 8:37 pm

Got some news for you guys. I have a customer who used to come in with a group of guys every Thursday, pick a cigar and order a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. I gagged at the thought. Citrus and cigars? I learned something new when I tried it. The acidity in the SB works well to strip the tar off your taste buds and make the cigar's flavors fresh and sharp. Both maintain their inherent flavors and didn't compete with or diminish the other like I thought it would. (Wouldn't recommend a maduro though.)
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”