What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
ERPark

#151 Post by ERPark » February 16th, 2016, 2:34 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:Got some news for you guys. I have a customer who used to come in with a group of guys every Thursday, pick a cigar and order a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. I gagged at the thought. Citrus and cigars? I learned something new when I tried it. The acidity in the SB works well to strip the tar off your taste buds and make the cigar's flavors fresh and sharp. Both maintain their inherent flavors and didn't compete with or diminish the other like I thought it would. (Wouldn't recommend a maduro though.)
Wow, would've never thought of that pairing. Gotta remember to try it sometime.
GEN3

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#152 Post by Alan Eden » February 16th, 2016, 8:39 pm

Keep on saying, champagne and Cohiba, match made in heaven
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Jason Hagen

#153 Post by Jason Hagen » February 27th, 2016, 9:50 am

Smoked an Illusione Epernay while in Nashville. Most excellent! Nice medium cigar. About a 50 minute smoke.

Jason

stevetimko

#154 Post by stevetimko » February 28th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Gotta give props to Reno boy Dion Giollotto for his Illusione brand.
I've starting smoking cigars in a pipe. I bought a Churchwarden style pipe with a long shaft to cool the smoke.

It changes the flavor of cigars. I think it detracts from a good cigar but it can make average and mediocre cigars creamier and can take away some of the harshness.
I sampled four kinds of pipe tobacco at a local store and none really rang my bell. Two were aromatic.
Illegitimati non carborundum

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#155 Post by G. Bienstock » March 3rd, 2016, 8:24 pm

Randy Bowman really hit it out of the park with his recco of AJ Fernandez New World. This value priced box pressed superstar is a potent complex and very well constructed gar.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Gerry Morrisey

#156 Post by Gerry Morrisey » March 9th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Took advantage of the weather to enjoy a Liga Privada #9 and a generous pour of Elmer T Lee.
Attachments
0309161450.jpg
0309161450.jpg (29.07 KiB) Viewed 1914 times

Jason Hagen

#157 Post by Jason Hagen » March 26th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Gerry Morrisey wrote:Took advantage of the weather to enjoy a Liga Privada #9 and a generous pour of Elmer T Lee.

This all looks very tasty.

Nolan E

#158 Post by Nolan E » March 26th, 2016, 7:49 pm

G. Bienstock wrote:potent
A positive note?
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Nolan E

#159 Post by Nolan E » March 31st, 2016, 2:44 pm

Por Larrañaga Montecarlo
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (16.62 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by Randy Bowman » March 31st, 2016, 7:30 pm

Estaban Carreras Bronze Cross. Little bit of a shock when I lit it, getting a bitter hot draw. Now I remember why you toast the cigar before lighting it. Settled right down with a smooth draw and full flavors. On the strong side but tasty with multiple layers and flavors that build as I reach the half way mark. I chased flavors of pecans, cedar, cinnamon and occasional white pepper that accented heightened tobacco flavors right down to the nub, when the toothpick caught fire.

Full bodied. Will take on whiskeys, bourbons, single malts, ports and even drinks with juice or sweet sodas. Value priced too.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#161 Post by Alan Eden » April 7th, 2016, 10:33 pm

I so want a cigar right now

A nice full bodied cuban like a Bolivar or Punch Double Corona
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#162 Post by Travis Fantz » April 9th, 2016, 10:17 pm

Nolan.
Nice pic!
I have finished off a Fuente 858 rosado tonight. I really like that cigar. I smoke two a month of those just hoping to get another box in the fall.

Any opinion on the best cigar that comes in a tube. I need to order a box for a golfing tournament
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

stevetimko

#163 Post by stevetimko » April 11th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Travis Fantz wrote:Nolan.
Nice pic!
I have finished off a Fuente 858 rosado tonight. I really like that cigar. I smoke two a month of those just hoping to get another box in the fall.

Any opinion on the best cigar that comes in a tube. I need to order a box for a golfing tournament
Travis:
I'm not clear if you need the tubes because you're giving them as a gift or for your own use. These collapsible tubes work well. They take cigars of a ring gauge up to 52.

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#164 Post by Travis Fantz » April 12th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Steve,
I take them golfing and give them to buddies on the course. Typically I can throw a few in the front of the golf cart and I am set for the day.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#165 Post by Randy Bowman » April 12th, 2016, 6:59 pm

Had an Estaban Carreras Barber pole on the golf course today. Very flavorful for a just under medium body cigar and reasonably priced too.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#166 Post by Alan Eden » April 16th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Partegas P2 last night, great cigar

I still cant find that earthy creamy chocolate complexity outside of Cuba, lots of other great cigars but i supposed its just like wine. For some people you just cant replace aged Bdx or Burgs, loads of other great wines but you keep on coming back. I am the same with cuban cigars

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#167 Post by Alan Eden » April 23rd, 2016, 3:42 pm

Had the new release Liga Privada Feral pig last night

This is a unique cigar, big full strong Nicaraguan flavor with a maduro wrapper, interestingly the expected pepper is not there which for me is great as im not a fan of spicy cigars

If you see these, try one but just dont make it a first cigar and make sure you are ready for a powerful smoke, definetly not a novice cigar, it is one of best full cigars ive ever smoked

stevetimko

#168 Post by stevetimko » April 26th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Great obsessive compulsive disorder anecdote to share. I'm at a cigar shop and a customer -- not a staff member -- begins walking around emptying the black ceramic ash trays on the table and cleaning them with a towel. He doesn't touch the stainless steel ashtrays.
I guess he does this after he's had a drink or too. He loses that inhibition and the OCD kicks in.

stevetimko

#169 Post by stevetimko » May 25th, 2016, 10:47 am

How much spoof will we accept in our cigars? The ACID cigars are all flavored. Too much for me. I don't want to smoke them. The George Rico American Puro that I've discussed on this board before has some Kentucky tobacco that has been fire-cured, giving some additional smokiness. I like that.

stevetimko

#170 Post by stevetimko » May 31st, 2016, 11:04 am

Has anyone ever done the roll-your-own for cigars? There's a web site called Leaf Only that sells tobacco for people who want to roll their own. Some of it looks interesting. Like ligero cured to use as a wrapper. But it's expensive. It looks like stuff my local boutique cigar shop buys for $11 or $12 a pound they sell for $40 a pound. And they have some Connecticut shade wrapper selling for $75 a pound.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#171 Post by Randy Bowman » June 16th, 2016, 7:44 pm

stevetimko wrote:Has anyone ever done the roll-your-own for cigars? There's a web site called Leaf Only that sells tobacco for people who want to roll their own. Some of it looks interesting. Like ligero cured to use as a wrapper. But it's expensive. It looks like stuff my local boutique cigar shop buys for $11 or $12 a pound they sell for $40 a pound. And they have some Connecticut shade wrapper selling for $75 a pound.
Somehow or another, it sounds like buying a kit Cobra for $28K when you have no knowledge of mechanics and none of the tools. You have to figure a learning curve to teach yourself how to roll a proper cigar. It's not like rolling a joint. [oops.gif]

stevetimko

#172 Post by stevetimko » June 16th, 2016, 11:23 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
stevetimko wrote:Has anyone ever done the roll-your-own for cigars? There's a web site called Leaf Only that sells tobacco for people who want to roll their own. Some of it looks interesting. Like ligero cured to use as a wrapper. But it's expensive. It looks like stuff my local boutique cigar shop buys for $11 or $12 a pound they sell for $40 a pound. And they have some Connecticut shade wrapper selling for $75 a pound.
Somehow or another, it sounds like buying a kit Cobra for $28K when you have no knowledge of mechanics and none of the tools. You have to figure a learning curve to teach yourself how to roll a proper cigar. It's not like rolling a joint. [oops.gif]
This is a third generation Nicaraguan who rolls cigars here in Sparks. He makes it look simple. But like I said, third generation.

By the way, his cigars are good and pretty cheap, if you're looking for a house cigar.
[video][/video]

Jason Hagen

#173 Post by Jason Hagen » November 12th, 2016, 1:15 pm

It has been awhile but got together with some friends to watch MNF last week and had a Crowned Heads Tennessee Waltz. A terrific cigar. I always pick a few up when in Nashville. I think this one was about 3 years old.

http://www.crownedheads.com/cigars/tennessee-waltz/

Jason

Jason Hagen

#174 Post by Jason Hagen » November 25th, 2016, 9:08 am

Sticking with Crowned Heads, I had their Four Kicks Piramide. A really nice cigar. Earthy and spicy. Perfect draw and smokes nice and even.

Jason

Jason Hagen

Re: What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

#175 Post by Jason Hagen » May 7th, 2019, 8:05 pm

I thought I would bump this and see if anybody still wants to play. I haven't had a cigar since August when I got pneumonia but have been craving a nice smoke. I don't really enjoy smoking alone (I get bored) but I am going to gather with some friends to watch some playoff and cup games so I broke open the humi. Not sure what I am going to have yet since they all look so good.

I'll post some notes when the time comes. I haven't bought anything in over a year, hoping to shrink my stock a bit.

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#176 Post by Randy Bowman » May 7th, 2019, 8:33 pm

There are so many new cigars out there it is amazing. A. J. Fernandez is putting out unique cigars that parallel some of the new wine makers and their perception of blending wines beyond the norm. Alec Bradley's Black Market Filthy Hooligan is a great example of stretching the envelope and creating something unique and enjoyable, IF you are flavor chaser. The Filthy Hooligan has an unheard of blend including a Candela and Maduro barber pole wrapper. Chasing the flavors.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#177 Post by Alan Eden » May 7th, 2019, 9:03 pm

I am the total opposite to wine with cigars, give me a nice classic Padron anyday

GregP

#178 Post by GregP » May 7th, 2019, 10:58 pm

With A.J Fernandes you had one of them you had them all, they all have same profile, IMO. Spice and strength, no nuance/subtle notes. My take on them, your mileage and all that...

I became a DPG convert many years ago, after visiting his original factory on Calle Ocho, and his Cuban Classic line (black label) is still the standard, IMO, every time I come back to them, and always have a few boxes with 4-8 years on them, restock as needed. Oliva Vs are great, across the board, and Davidoff Winston Churchill or Yamasa, when you want to splurge.

Rarely smoke Maduros these days, one dimensional sugar note most of the time, regardless of producer. Akin to drinking Central Valley RS wine. But have some CAO Brasil, as Maduros go they are not bad when you just want to smoke while browsing interwebs.

Not a fan of 60 gauge, when manufacturers cannot add flavor through good quality tobacco they just go to large gauge to "add flavor" through volume. Same as oak in wine.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Jason Hagen

#179 Post by Jason Hagen » May 9th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 8:33 pm
There are so many new cigars out there it is amazing. A. J. Fernandez is putting out unique cigars that parallel some of the new wine makers and their perception of blending wines beyond the norm. Alec Bradley's Black Market Filthy Hooligan is a great example of stretching the envelope and creating something unique and enjoyable, IF you are flavor chaser. The Filthy Hooligan has an unheard of blend including a Candela and Maduro barber pole wrapper. Chasing the flavors.
I'll have to try a Fernandez. I don't recall ever having one. As I say, I am in a buying pause until I know I am going to be smoking again. I have generally moved to mild/medium cigars and rarely have maduros. I do have an Alec Bradley Black Market with about 6 years on it. Wondering how it will be.

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#180 Post by Randy Bowman » May 9th, 2019, 7:27 pm

My customers seem to think the A J Fernandez Last Call cigars are the cat's meow. Here's my two week back up:
lastcall.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#181 Post by Randy Bowman » May 9th, 2019, 7:42 pm

E. P. Carrillo is also making a mark with his blends. My Father is creating a stir too. My daily smoke used to be Padron until I had a Last Call Geniales. The old standby cigars are trying to introduce new, competitive cigars but the sales of their mainstream cigars are dwindling and therefore, their placements in the humidor. I have a number of once popular cigars in the aged bin, ranging from 6 to 12 years in our humidor, because nobody bought them. Once somebody buys and tries these old sticks they usually return and buy the remainder.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#182 Post by Alan Eden » May 9th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Randy

If you haveany aged Padrons drop me a line, always looking

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#183 Post by Randy Bowman » May 9th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Alan, the main stream Padrons, 2000, 3000, 4,000 and 5,000 fly out so nothing with age. The Aniversarios a little slower so some of the 1926 and 1964 cigars have some age, but with CA Tobacco tax, (about 64%), they are expensive. Hence, why they don't move so quickly.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#184 Post by Alan Eden » May 9th, 2019, 11:35 pm

So how much would a 6000 churchill be in CA ? $8.05 in my local store which is not a cheap shop

GregP

#185 Post by GregP » May 10th, 2019, 12:22 am

Jason Hagen wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 5:54 pm
I'll have to try a Fernandez. I don't recall ever having one. As I say, I am in a buying pause until I know I am going to be smoking again. I have generally moved to mild/medium cigars and rarely have maduros. I do have an Alec Bradley Black Market with about 6 years on it. Wondering how it will be.

Jason
Jason,

Order a sampler, original lines he built his name with: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/d ... /#p-180628

For something mild, for now, order 5 pack of Macanudo (Conn wrapper), or Baccarat, nice, easy smokes. CI has very cheap shipping, should be ~$7 per order (AJ sampler and a number of 5 packs).

As for Maduros, they are not usually strong, sweet, sure, but not strong by definition (curing and then fermentation methods). Try CAO Brazil in a 5 pack, or Sancho Panza, they are medium, at best. I can ship you some CAOs, let me know. I tend to smoke stronger cigars (after dinner), and CAO Brazil is mildest I have right now. PM me your address.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#186 Post by Phil Smith » May 10th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 11:35 pm
So how much would a 6000 churchill be in CA ? $8.05 in my local store which is not a cheap shop
There’s well-publicized threats of a proposal in the Illinois senate with the same 64% tax...

I’ve never actually ordered cigars online, do we like CI around here?

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#187 Post by Alan Eden » May 10th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Phil Smith wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:15 pm
Alan Eden wrote:
There’s well-publicized threats of a proposal in the Illinois senate with the same 64% tax...

CI ?

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#188 Post by Phil Smith » May 10th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:41 pm
Phil Smith wrote:
Alan Eden wrote:

CI ?
The site referenced in the post above me

Jason Hagen

#189 Post by Jason Hagen » May 10th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Phil Smith wrote:
Alan Eden wrote:

Other than when I am traveling, I mainly buy from CI. Always been great for me. Occasionally I'll buy from Thompson or Famous. But I have a shop in Nashville (Brentwood) that I really like and then when I am in Florida it is game on.

Jason

Jason Hagen

#190 Post by Jason Hagen » May 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#191 Post by Phil Smith » May 10th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm
https://www.cigarsinternational.com/

J
[thumbs-up.gif]

Jason Hagen

#192 Post by Jason Hagen » May 10th, 2019, 7:59 pm

GregP wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 12:22 am

Jason,

Order a sampler, original lines he built his name with: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/d ... /#p-180628

For something mild, for now, order 5 pack of Macanudo (Conn wrapper), or Baccarat, nice, easy smokes. CI has very cheap shipping, should be ~$7 per order (AJ sampler and a number of 5 packs).

As for Maduros, they are not usually strong, sweet, sure, but not strong by definition (curing and then fermentation methods). Try CAO Brazil in a 5 pack, or Sancho Panza, they are medium, at best. I can ship you some CAOs, let me know. I tend to smoke stronger cigars (after dinner), and CAO Brazil is mildest I have right now. PM me your address.
That sampler is a killer deal. As always, you are very generous. I'll PM you my address.

I hope you are well. LMK if you are down this way and we'll have a smoke. I am on the wagon these days but do have wine to share.

Peace,

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#193 Post by Randy Bowman » May 10th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
So how much would a 6000 Churchill be in CA ? $8.05 in my local store which is not a cheap shop
Alan, with our 64% tobacco tax, stores in CA would sell the 6000 for between $14.50 and $20.00, depending on their location and mark up. We are located outside of the "downtown" area and have rent about one half of those "downtown" businesses of similar size. I mark up the cigars about half of the normal mark up hoping volume is the answer. Check your local shop and see the difference on our prices of these standards:
Arturo Fuente Chateau $9.00
Padron 2000 $9.50
Romeo y Juliet Bully $11.50

GregP

#194 Post by GregP » May 10th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Cigars International has been great, for many years now. Most any smoke you'd like, great prices, and cheap shipping. They also run Cigar Bid, and I buy a lot on their Free Fall auctions, if you play it right and know your prices you may pay 30-50% off normal prices, so I buy many boxes/bundles at one time to save on shipping (they combine shipments if you buy within days).

GregP

#195 Post by GregP » May 10th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:59 pm

I hope you are well. LMK if you are down this way and we'll have a smoke. I am on the wagon these days but do have wine to share.

Peace,

Jason
Hope you're getting better. We missed you guys at Falltacular, well, a few others also, but it was great to see many of the OC crew.

Planning to be in the area in June, and will ping you, of course.

I'll ship come Monday, don't want cigars sitting in some warehouse over the weekend.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#196 Post by Alan Eden » May 11th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Thanks Randy

Cigar business is hard, online is cheaper so brick and mortar shops struggle. My cigar shop is also a full lounge so you have somewhere to smoke, watch TV and drink if you want to this justifies the premium over Cigarbid or similar. Of course you get the assholes who buy online then come into the lounge but they quickly get thrown out or charged a cutting fee

Barry Sunderland

#197 Post by Barry Sunderland » May 12th, 2019, 10:07 am

God, I miss cigar smoking...
I quit, mostly, for health reasons.
Some people may say, “Just have one, here and there.”
Like Lay’s, I ‘can’t just have one’.
It’s a slippery slope for me.

GregP

#198 Post by GregP » May 12th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 7:56 pm
Thanks Randy

Cigar business is hard, online is cheaper so brick and mortar shops struggle. My cigar shop is also a full lounge so you have somewhere to smoke, watch TV and drink if you want to this justifies the premium over Cigarbid or similar. Of course you get the assholes who buy online then come into the lounge but they quickly get thrown out or charged a cutting fee
Not sure these are the reasons, although some validity to them. Issue, for me at least, is that I can find most any cigar of MY choice online, versus most shops still selling mostly Altadis and General lines, and very few boutique ones. I used to buy most cigars at local brick and mortars, but got tired of seeing same old same old every time I walked in. Millenials' fads, aka Gurkha, Drew flavoreds, etc, are just not cigars to me, but are stocked all over the place and occupy way too much shelf space, FOR ME. Great for cigar shop owners, so no argument there, they run a for profit business. But limited choice is something they have to face. Amazon got where it is today due to multitude of choices mostly not available locally. So, even though price helps, its the unlimited choice that makes people buy online.

And trying to justify higher prces due to rents is silly, IMO, the argument is way too old by now and way off. How many people do you think a place like CI employs? Never mind rent they pay on a huge warehouse. Do you really think that brick and mortar rents somehow are higher than all those extra salaries and bennies? That buys you a lof of "rent", no? I do go to local shops and lounges, from time to time. But when it comes to buying cigars I want, they are lacking, sadly, and my only recourse is to buy online. Prices help, of course.

How many places do you think carry Room 101? Curivari? These are cigars to me, big time, how many cigar shop owners even know they exist?

Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired of seeing same old argument still in play when numbers dictate its not true. Rents are rents, some higher, some lower. Even at CI and other online sources. Can't imagine CI or Atlantic running out of a garage someplace. And with the number of people they employ, plus humongous inventory they carry, every day, I am sure their insurance policies are way higher than brick and mortar, but I don't see them complaining about that. While still making a healthy profit.

---

As for cutting fee, I wouldn't even allow that. Have not seen anyone do that on my visits, whether in NY, NJ, CA, FL or NV, but agree this is appaulling behavior that should not be tolerated.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#199 Post by Alan Eden » May 12th, 2019, 7:35 pm

GregP wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 5:07 pm
Alan Eden wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 7:56 pm
Thanks Randy

Not sure these are the reasons, although some validity to them. Issue, for me at least, is that I can find most any cigar of MY choice online, versus most shops still selling mostly Altadis and General lines, and very few boutique ones. I used to buy most cigars at local brick and mortars, but got tired of seeing same old same old every time I walked in. Millenials' fads, aka Gurkha, Drew flavoreds, etc, are just not cigars to me, but are stocked all over the place and occupy way too much shelf space, FOR ME. Great for cigar shop owners, so no argument there, they run a for profit business. But limited choice is something they have to face. Amazon got where it is today due to multitude of choices mostly not available locally. So, even though price helps, its the unlimited choice that makes people buy online.

And trying to justify higher prces due to rents is silly, IMO, the argument is way too old by now and way off. How many people do you think a place like CI employs? Never mind rent they pay on a huge warehouse. Do you really think that brick and mortar rents somehow are higher than all those extra salaries and bennies? That buys you a lof of "rent", no? I do go to local shops and lounges, from time to time. But when it comes to buying cigars I want, they are lacking, sadly, and my only recourse is to buy online. Prices help, of course.

How many places do you think carry Room 101? Curivari? These are cigars to me, big time, how many cigar shop owners even know they exist?

Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired of seeing same old argument still in play when numbers dictate its not true. Rents are rents, some higher, some lower. Even at CI and other online sources. Can't imagine CI or Atlantic running out of a garage someplace. And with the number of people they employ, plus humongous inventory they carry, every day, I am sure their insurance policies are way higher than brick and mortar, but I don't see them complaining about that. While still making a healthy profit.

---

As for cutting fee, I wouldn't even allow that. Have not seen anyone do that on my visits, whether in NY, NJ, CA, FL or NV, but agree this is appaulling behavior that should not be tolerated.
Greg

You are not visiting the store i go to. They have a massive selection including Room 101 and Curivari as well as most of the brands you can think of, in addition they have their own unique brands and carry a wide range of the premium cigars you just dont see in most stores, Opus X, Double R, HR etc. On top of this they have a vintage room with cigars upto 60 years old.

The higher price is not for rent as such, who pays for the TV's ? Leather chairs ? free refreshments ? etc. you really think one $5.95 cigar allows that to happen ? I am not arguing for cigar stores they have no value, im talking about lounges which provide huge value.

I personally smoke cigars as a social activity, you cant do that at home. Lounges will always be more expensive than online and im totally fine with that.

Its like complaining that restaurant wine is more expensive than local Binnys or Total

GregP

#200 Post by GregP » May 12th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Alan,

There are some good stores, key word is "some". No argument there. Most, though, are not. I used to shop at Tower, in Sac (CA), the owner introduced me to many great smokes, Curivari included when they just showed up ~11 years ago. And yet, you go to a shop in Danville, CA, and its crap, high prices with limited selection. I can name more sub-par stores than great ones. Many now feature lounges, but to me, if I cannot buy a good stick there is no reason for me to be there.

High cigar prices are mostly taxes, and nothing else. Rent, TV, chairs, etc are not that expensive, and certainly way less than having a staff of 10+ to run a business. I have nothing against cigar shops and lounges, just saying that "rent and TV' should not be used as justification for higher prices.

Visit Smoke Inn in WPB, as one example, and then right there, on the spot, ask them about price if you want to order from out of state. Rather telling, and they have that same lounge, chairs, TV, etc. you speak off. Great cigar selection, BTW.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”