What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Jason Hagen

#1 Post by Jason Hagen » November 26th, 2014, 1:53 pm

Figured this might be the best sub forum to ask that question. There is a rather slow not to informative thread on CT https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm. ... 5&mpage=15 but I thought I'd see if people were interested in starting one here.

Jason

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#2 Post by Eric Ifune » November 26th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Used to smoke more in the past. Now it seems I don't have the time. Don't know much about current releases.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#3 Post by Alan Eden » November 27th, 2014, 10:51 am

Big cigar guy

Wide range, although favs are aged cigars
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Nolan E

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#4 Post by Nolan E » November 27th, 2014, 12:07 pm

I have a pretty good collection but like Eric I struggle to find the time. I also prefer smoking in a social setting and I haven't found any smokers in my new hometown.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#5 Post by Peter Petersen » November 27th, 2014, 12:15 pm

My grandfather was a VP at a cigar company. I've never smelled cigars as good as the ones he smoked. Not surprising as he travelled to Cuba to make the selections.

I'm not an expert, but the occasional cigar with a brandy on the deck is not to be missed.

Jason Hagen

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#6 Post by Jason Hagen » November 27th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Cool. Seems like it is worth a shot to start a thread to share what we are smoking.

As for me, I smoked a fair amount in the mid 90s and then I moved to the UK and grew very fond of Cuban cigars. I never maintained much of a humidor and eventually just stopped smoking them. For me it was because I couldn't really find the time or place and I generally don't like to smoke alone (unless I am traveling and I can find a cigar lounge to watch a hockey game at) so I just stopped buying them. But over the last few years I've started again and am really enjoying them. I usually maintain between 60-80 cigars in the humi. I generally prefer them aged but I do keep 25-30 less expensive sticks to have randomly or to share with someone that won't really care.

Over the last few years I have tended to prefer cigars in the medium or even mild range. With my Cubans, the age helps them tremendously.

Now I am a 1 to 3 cigar a week guy.

Jason

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#7 Post by Alan Eden » November 27th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Jason

If your ever in Chicago let me know, we can watch a hawks game and enjoy a cigar
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Jason Hagen

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#8 Post by Jason Hagen » November 27th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Alan eden wrote:Jason

If your ever in Chicago let me know, we can watch a hawks game and enjoy a cigar
I'll be there in January so if you are not covered in a polar vortex like last year, I'm there.

Should be there a few more times in the year as well.

Jason

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#9 Post by Thomas Keim » November 28th, 2014, 10:44 am

I spend a few weeks in Mexico every year over the winter - and always purchase a couple of Cubans to enjoy while I am there.

BUT - I never know what to purchase - what are the best Cuban Cigars to look for?

I'm been lucky over the years to find some pre-embargo Cubans - last score was a couple of 1959's (don't remember the producer) - but could use some advice on what to look for -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Nolan E

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#10 Post by Nolan E » November 28th, 2014, 2:43 pm

For the most part I avoid Cohiba, but their lanceros are fabulous and probably $45+ per stick in a touristy area in Mexico. I think Sancho Panza are among the best values and I have a soft spot for Montecristo. I also find that the smaller cigar the more body it has and inversely the larget the cigar the more mellow it is. There are exceptions, though. The Partagas Lusitania is a great example, huge 2+ hour smoke but pretty subtle and elegant. And I find the smaller Montecristo #s 4 and 5 to be pretty pungent and flavorful.
I haven't followed close enough to know what harvests have been better than others but it seems quality has rebounded and is pretty consistent compared to the late 90s stuff.
Just be very wary of counterfeits, the LCDH (La Casa del Habano) are your best bet but even this official retailer has been spotted selling fakes, most notably in resort towns.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#11 Post by Randy Bowman » November 28th, 2014, 7:53 pm

I used to smoke a ton of cigars but now that I own a cigar shop, I rarely get the chance to really sit and enjoy one. If I remember or I'm not rushed to make my Tuesday afternoon tee time, I will enjoy one on the course. I tend to have a Dominican Cohiba robusto when enjoying a cocktail or port. It's one of the few cigars that smoke the same end to end or until the tooth pick catches fire. Daily smoke used to be Padron 2000 Maduro and special occasion cigar Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro. There are a lot of new cigars on the market and many are very good to excellent.

Cigars have such a parallel to wine. Region, sub region, single lot, blend, wine/cigar maker/blender, aging, etc. Even the ratings have a parallel. Higher octane in wines and more strength in cigars are getting the ratings these days.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Jason Hagen

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#12 Post by Jason Hagen » November 30th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:I used to smoke a ton of cigars but now that I own a cigar shop, I rarely get the chance to really sit and enjoy one. If I remember or I'm not rushed to make my Tuesday afternoon tee time, I will enjoy one on the course. I tend to have a Dominican Cohiba robusto when enjoying a cocktail or port. It's one of the few cigars that smoke the same end to end or until the tooth pick catches fire. Daily smoke used to be Padron 2000 Maduro and special occasion cigar Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro. There are a lot of new cigars on the market and many are very good to excellent.

Cigars have such a parallel to wine. Region, sub region, single lot, blend, wine/cigar maker/blender, aging, etc. Even the ratings have a parallel. Higher octane in wines and more strength in cigars are getting the ratings these days.
Doh. Of course. Randy, thanks for commenting.

So, the question is, should we start Cigar/Pipe thread and if so, should we request that the sub forum's name be changed to Beer, Spirits and Smokes?

Considering how hard we had to fight to get this forum, not sure they would change for us.

So I am happy to play elsewhere but would love if recos and general knowledge just came from fellow Berserkers.

Jason

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#13 Post by Alan Eden » November 30th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Problem is Jason we are a persecuted group.

A lot of people will fight against cigar smokers.

Anyways , today i started with a original batch Aurora la cien lancero, which is a great smoke, currently on a Regus black label gordado

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#14 Post by Travis Fantz » November 30th, 2014, 6:23 pm

I am glad this post started.
About twenty years ago I worked at an orphanage in Honduras. I started my cigar smoking there when I would lay on a ramp smoking cigars and looking at the clear night. I haven't stopped since. I only get to smoke about once a week during the school year, so I usually try to stock up on things I like. I rotate between the Fuente 858 Rosado (was able to get a couple boxes 2 years ago), Magnum R, and the Anejo 77. Special occasion cigar is the Padron 1926 or Cuban Partagas acquired through INTEL cigar club members.

LJ Peretti is going to have a cyber Monday sale. The prices are pretty good, I just picked up another box of Anejo before I knew the sale was going to happen.

http://www.ljperetti.com/
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Jason Hagen

#15 Post by Jason Hagen » December 1st, 2014, 5:09 pm

Well I'll give this a shot, even if it is slow. I'd love to read what Berserkers are smoking these days.

I'll start with a few of my recents:

La Colmena No. 44 Corona by Warped Cigars Okay so I have only had one so far but will try another soon. All I can say is that this is an outstanding cigar. Limited distribution as far as brick and mortar but they can be found online.

Tatuaje Black Label Corona Gorda I don't these will be around much longer but I highly recommend. Listed everywhere as full strength but I found it in the medium realm.

My Father Robusto - CT Easy smoking cigar but not very complex. Easy draw and mild.

L'Atelier Extension de la Racine 2014, made by Pete Johnson Get um while you can. Great medium/full cigar.

While in Nashville I got a Tennessee exclusive by Crowned Heads called Tennessee Waltz. Terrific. Brought a few back to rest for a year or so in the humi.

Cheers,

Jason

Brad B a l l i n g e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Brad B a l l i n g e r » December 1st, 2014, 5:36 pm

I suppose titling the thread, "What are You Smoking?" could be a little misleading, huh? [wink.gif]
"We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink." - Cicero

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Randy Bowman » December 1st, 2014, 6:00 pm

Regius Orchant Campana. Beautiful smoke.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Jason Hagen

#18 Post by Jason Hagen » December 1st, 2014, 6:30 pm

Brad B a l l i n g e r wrote:I suppose titling the thread, "What are You Smoking?" could be a little misleading, huh? [wink.gif]

Hah exactly. Didn't want to get anyone in trouble.

J

Jason Hagen

#19 Post by Jason Hagen » December 1st, 2014, 6:31 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:Image

Regius Orchant Campana. Beautiful smoke.
That's what I'm talking about. This is a new name to me.

Randy, do you ship cigars?

Jason

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#20 Post by Todd F r e n c h » December 1st, 2014, 6:43 pm

Jason, you NEED to go to Randy and Carrie's place when you are in Napa next - pick out a few with Randy's help and smoke one in the cigar room - I love doing that!!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Carlos Delpin

#21 Post by Carlos Delpin » December 1st, 2014, 6:53 pm

I am really enjoying the new Davidoff Nicaragua puros and the new Carrillo Inch maduros. During our sorry excuse for a winter my cigar tastes drift towards maduros and fuller flavor smokes.

Jason Hagen

#22 Post by Jason Hagen » December 1st, 2014, 7:38 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Jason, you NEED to go to Randy and Carrie's place when you are in Napa next - pick out a few with Randy's help and smoke one in the cigar room - I love doing that!!
No doubt. And I think the last time I was in Napa was 1999. Crazy. Road trip!

J

Jason Hagen

#23 Post by Jason Hagen » December 1st, 2014, 7:39 pm

Carlos Delpin wrote:I am really enjoying the new Davidoff Nicaragua puros ...
Good to know. When they were first released I grabbed one of the Tubos and while good I didn't feel it was worth the $$. I meant to grab some more and let them rest a little.

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Randy Bowman » December 1st, 2014, 8:04 pm

Jason, we can ship cigars but sales are by phone/email. We can't sell cigars on our current website and would have to run up a separate site.

Carlos, I'm a maduro guy usually after falling in love with Punch and Padron. Now I tailor my cigar to what I'm drinking when I get the chance.

Jason, $$$$$ doesn't always mean it's great, just like wine. Check you local tobacconist and see if they have the Flor de las Antillas Sun Grown Toro. Number one cigar in 2012 and I have to agree. We go through 3 to 5 boxes a week. We sell them for $8.50 so you should be able to find them for $7.75 to $10.00.

Jason Hagen

#25 Post by Jason Hagen » December 1st, 2014, 9:20 pm

Randy Bowman wrote: Jason, $$$$$ doesn't always mean it's great, just like wine. Check you local tobacconist and see if they have the Flor de las Antillas Sun Grown Toro. Number one cigar in 2012 and I have to agree. We go through 3 to 5 boxes a week. We sell them for $8.50 so you should be able to find them for $7.75 to $10.00.
I'm with you. I have a nice stash of Flor de las Antillas (Toros and Robustos). Great cigar and a great price. Most of mine have been bought on special for around $6. I noticed you sold them hence my asking if you ship. I don't need any cigars for another 8-10 weeks but when I do, I'll give you call.

Jason

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Craig G » December 1st, 2014, 10:02 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:Jason, we can ship cigars but sales are by phone/email. We can't sell cigars on our current website and would have to run up a separate site.
You should get that website up. You don't want to be caught flat-footed when California legalizes weed.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Michael Diaz

#27 Post by Michael Diaz » December 2nd, 2014, 7:30 am

Jason, I hope we'll get everyone posting tasting notes other than 'it was a great cigar.' Would like to hear you thoughts on the La Colmena No. 44 Corona.

Jason Hagen

#28 Post by Jason Hagen » December 2nd, 2014, 9:16 am

Michael Diaz wrote:Jason, I hope we'll get everyone posting tasting notes other than 'it was a great cigar.' Would like to hear you thoughts on the La Colmena No. 44 Corona.

Notes would be great. This was kind of keeping with the, What Are You Drinking, thread where people just post with little effort or thought but certainly it would be great to have more detailed info.

As far as the La Colmena, I will have another one next week and will pay a little more attention. I didn't know much about it other than my local boutique cigar shop had some and the owner was pretty hot on it. I was taken by the construction. It is a beautiful cigar. I grabbed one on his reco, and then went back for more as will as ordered online. There are a number of reviews of the cigar online, some claiming it will be Cigar of the Year.

Jason

Michael Diaz

#29 Post by Michael Diaz » December 2nd, 2014, 2:42 pm

Notes would help in deciding whether to chase the cigar down. Whether it fits my flavor profile.

And yes, in the picture, it looks like a real winner. [cheers.gif]

Sean Devaney

#30 Post by Sean Devaney » December 2nd, 2014, 5:29 pm

May I suggest that when posting a note about cigars that the country of origin be included? Speaking for myself this would be very helpfull.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Alan Eden » December 2nd, 2014, 8:35 pm

That Regus mentioned is a good cigar, I have been smoking the Gordados and have a box with about 18 months age of them and they are great. I will say though lay off the red and white label later Regus exclusivos, they are just bad.

The Davidoff Puro is fantastic, expescially the new Diadema size, its up for grabs if these are better than the original gold band Puro D'oro though.

The advice about great cigars not being expensive is true, for $10 you can get fantastic cigars, a key is to get vintage cigars. If you say get a box of Padron 6000 that are 5 years old then you pay $8 a stick its like getting a family reserve at $30 brand new

P. Willenberg

#32 Post by P. Willenberg » December 3rd, 2014, 10:31 am

Alan Eden wrote: The advice about great cigars not being expensive is true, for $10 you can get fantastic cigars, a key is to get vintage cigars. If you say get a box of Padron 6000 that are 5 years old then you pay $8 a stick its like getting a family reserve at $30 brand new
Care to reveal your source?
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Alan Eden » December 3rd, 2014, 10:35 am

My local cigar store has a vintage room in which they age cigars

http://www.casademontecristo-chicago.com/

Jason Hagen

#34 Post by Jason Hagen » December 6th, 2014, 9:21 am

La flor Dominicana - Suave - 42 X 5.5 Insurrecto: Excellent cigar for 45-60 minute smoke. Earthy and a bit creamy. Medium strength.
Attachments
IMG_7137.jpg
IMG_7137.jpg (10.16 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

Jason Hagen

#35 Post by Jason Hagen » December 6th, 2014, 9:22 am

I also got more La Colmena!
Attachments
IMG_7145.jpg
IMG_7145.jpg (18.63 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

G. Greenbaum

#36 Post by G. Greenbaum » December 14th, 2014, 11:33 am

Jason Hagen wrote:Well I'll give this a shot, even if it is slow. I'd love to read what Berserkers are smoking these days.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Alan Eden » December 16th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Smoked a padron 26 year and aurora la cien churchill tonight

Both from 2008 and both fantastic smokes

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Randy Bowman » December 16th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Craig G wrote:
Randy Bowman wrote:Jason, we can ship cigars but sales are by phone/email. We can't sell cigars on our current website and would have to run up a separate site.
You should get that website up. You don't want to be caught flat-footed when California legalizes weed.
I've meant to respond to this but keep getting, ah old and forgot. We've had a number of people come in to offer their services as our supplier should we get our permit to sell marijuana. All I can do is laugh. I spent a total of 10 years in narcotic enforcement and yeah, I ran into some dumb ones, but to have somebody come in here with their book of products, samples, price lists and discount sheets for group purchases of select producers pretty much put me in a total tizzy. [mouth-drop.gif]

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#39 Post by scott c » December 19th, 2014, 9:25 am

So, who's booking their trip to Cuba now?
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Ron Kramer

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#40 Post by Ron Kramer » December 19th, 2014, 11:09 am

We may be there in May.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#41 Post by Alan Eden » December 19th, 2014, 12:45 pm

Planning on a big USDA Prime steak tonight with whatever big Cali Cab they have, this will be followed up with a nice Siglo 6 and more Cali Cab !!

Dont call me in the morning

F.Daner

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#42 Post by F.Daner » December 20th, 2014, 7:44 am

Smoking the new Montecristo Espada( Nicaraguan),
Medium body with spicy leather notes and a clean finish. nice burn and even draw.

Anyone else like a mid morning smoke ? I will do them sometimes on the weekend or golf course.

Plenty of solid shops in Tampa with good pricing.
Fred

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#43 Post by Alan Eden » December 24th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Padron 6000 torpedo & Cohiba Pyramide Extra

F.Daner

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#44 Post by F.Daner » December 24th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Opus X Double Chateau yesterday. It was solid but preferred the Oliva V Melanio early in the week by a wide margin. Much more flavor. Perhaps the Opus needed more time in the humidor.
Fred

Ed Murray
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#45 Post by Ed Murray » December 29th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Just had an Alec Bradley Prensado (robusto I think, might have been the double T.) Best cigar I've ever had. Any comparisons for me?
It's not the event, it's the reaction to the event!

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#46 Post by brigcampbell » January 11th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Cigar smokers, I'm sharing a berserker day auction item with this group so I'd appreciate we keep it on the down low. As you'll see, this is a very unique and sentimental item which someone here can appreciate so consider this a heads up and be ready on the 27th if you're interested.

Item:
  • Herb Lamb's personal humidor: 100 cigar capacity; two humidifiers and externally mounted hygrometer.
  • 20 assorted cigars include five Punch Robusto
  • 2009 HL Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 750ml and
  • 2012 Two Dog Sauvignon Blanc 750ml
Donors: Randy & Carrie Bowman at Napa Wine & Cigar
Value:
  • Retail value of wine & cigars: $329.00
  • Retail value of Humidor new est: $150.00+ Sentimental value, priceless.
    Minbid:

Herb Lamb, the much revered Napa native passed away in December. He loved manhattan's, dogs, and cigars. His wife Jennifer asked Randy/Carrie if they could find a nice home for Herb's personal humidor so they are graciously donating it to the Berserker Day auction. Additionally, Randy is adding 20 cigars including five of Herb's favorite Punch Robusto along with two bottles from Herb's winery.

BTW - I'll get a picture up ASAP. I had one Carrie sent me but I mistakenly deleted it.

Nolan E

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#47 Post by Nolan E » January 11th, 2015, 12:47 pm

Anyone have any experience with the Vegueros brand? Seems new to me.
    ITB
    Nolan Ellis

Alan Eden
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#48 Post by Alan Eden » January 11th, 2015, 5:12 pm

Nolan E wrote:Anyone have any experience with the Vegueros brand? Seems new to me.
    They are a relatively new Cuban brand, established in the 90's.they are made in Vuelta Abajo which claims to have the best tobacco in the world

Ive only smoked a couple and they are on the milder side with a more grassy style than the traditional earthy cocoa flavours. If you like a milder cigar I would suggest trying them but if your like me and prefer more of Punch double Corona. Bolivar med-full then I would pass

Nolan E

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#49 Post by Nolan E » January 11th, 2015, 5:47 pm

I did a little more research, the packaging tells me it's all about marketing and image, doubtful I'll seek any out actively.
    ITB
    Nolan Ellis

Randy Bowman
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

Any Cigar Smokers Here?

#50 Post by Randy Bowman » January 11th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Ed Murray wrote:Just had an Alec Bradley Prensado (robusto I think, might have been the double T.) Best cigar I've ever had. Any comparisons for me?
    It was the number 1 cigar in 2011 in the grand toro size. Beautifully made and tasty maduro. It's more a matter of your preferences. In maduro, a good daily smoke maduro is the Arturo Fuente Chateau maduro. Nice aromatics and plenty of flavor. To kick it up a notch, Padron 2000 or 3000 maduro. For the same level as the Prensado though, Padron 1964 maduro and pick your size.

If you like or care to try a top dog Sun Grown cigar, go for the Flor de Las Antillas made by My Father Cigars. Lots of spicy nuances ranging from white pepper to nutmeg.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”