Single malt scotch advice

Of late I’ve become a lover of single malt scotch but don’t have a lot of experience with the various brands, distillers, etc.
I would appreciate advice on what to look for in the $100-125 range. I am considering Highland Park 18 which I can get for approx $110. My preference is the Highlands style, do not care for the Islay style.
Thanks.

Don Appleton

HP18 is one of my favorites. I think it’s smokier than say Macallan but not nearly as much peat as you get with an Islay Scotch. Our local Bevmo had it recently for $85 if I recall.

What do you like of the single malts that you’ve tried so far? By giving a clue as to what you like so far can save some on some expensive exploration…

I have enjoyed the HP 12. I am currently working through a Glenlivet 18 and like it but looking for something a bit more complex.

If complexity is what you’re after, then I would strongly recommend sticking with cask strength bottlings.

I’ve loved the Glendronach 15 and liked the Glendronach 21. I’m thinking the 18 might be the best of the bunch but haven’t had it yet.

Maybe Talisker 18?

I don’t like cask strength stuff – way too much work to be figuring out how much water to add :slight_smile:

Scott

Ok, thanks for your input on this. I’ve done some research and have developed a short list:

Glenfarclas 21
Highland Park 18
Glendronach 18
Tomatin 18 (about half the price of the others ?)

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Don

What aspects do you like? Highlands style is pretty broad. Almost like saying “California wine”.

I guess what I really mean is that I am not a fan of the peaty Islay style. I like the smoothness, depth of flavor and complexity in my single malts scotch.

The Glenfarclas 21 is excellent, even though it has already been watered-back for you by the distillery.

Both the HP 18 and Glendronach 18 are very good, if not excellent. Important note: the Glendronach 18 is heavily sherried.

I’d stay away from the Tomatin.

Brian

How’s the Glendronach 18 compare to the 15? I liked the 15 better than the 21 but haven’t had the 18. I thought the 15 was pretty sherried :slight_smile:

Thanks

Scott

Like dalwhinnie in the less peated dept. Im a peat whore though.

Dalmore King Alexander III