Japanese Whiskey

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Japanese Whiskey

#101 Post by Craig G »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: September 13th, 2021, 12:20 pm
Craig G wrote: September 12th, 2021, 10:21 pm Has anyone had Hibiki Blender’s Choice? This is the ~15 year NAS that more or less replaced the 17, but isn’t generally available in the US. It’s around $100 in Japan, $350 in the US to the extent it’s here. K&L has had a few recently and they sold quickly.
I have *not*, but I will say this about Japanese whiskey, in general: it's often quite good, but, over the past 5 to 8 years, it has become overpriced relative to it's Scottish counterparts.
Absolutely in the US. It has also become difficult to know what’s actually Japanese. There’s lots of Scotch and Canadian being bottled and sold as “Japanese” to catch that wave. At least Hibiki is actually distilled there, and the component distilleries each have very interesting character of their own.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

AdrianReyes

#102 Post by AdrianReyes »

Man I love that stuff
"Im to drunk to taste this chicken"

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi »

Craig G wrote: September 13th, 2021, 12:38 pm
Craig G wrote: September 12th, 2021, 10:21 pm Has anyone had Hibiki Blender’s Choice? This is the ~15 year NAS that more or less replaced the 17, but isn’t generally available in the US. It’s around $100 in Japan, $350 in the US to the extent it’s here. K&L has had a few recently and they sold quickly.
I have *not*, but I will say this about Japanese whiskey, in general: it's often quite good, but, over the past 5 to 8 years, it has become overpriced relative to it's Scottish counterparts.
Absolutely in the US. It has also become difficult to know what’s actually Japanese. There’s lots of Scotch and Canadian being bottled and sold as “Japanese” to catch that wave. At least Hibiki is actually distilled there, and the component distilleries each have very interesting character of their own.
I recommend this chart (and blog overall) to help decipher what is real Japanese whiskey, vs. barrel aged Shochu or blended world whiskey:
https://www.nomunication.jp/2018/07/06/ ... l-or-fake/

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi »

I asked this in another thread, but didn't get a reply...

What would folks recommend in Scotch that best scratches the Japanese Whiskey itch? especially that best resembles Yamazaki?

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#105 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Clayton Wai-Poi wrote: April 12th, 2022, 3:25 pm

What would folks recommend in Scotch that best scratches the Japanese Whiskey itch? especially that best resembles Yamazaki?
What, for you, defines "Japanese whisky"? Your answer to this question may prove helpful in answering your question.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Craig G »

Interesting article here on this topic:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joemicalle ... c2d1795d4b
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

sal_i

#107 Post by sal_i »

Hibiki Blender's Choice are available at K&L again. $379.99 each with a limit of 3 per customer. Seems a little pricey.
I s m a i l

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Craig G »

sal_i wrote: July 19th, 2022, 6:43 pm
Hibiki Blender's Choice are available at K&L again. $379.99 each with a limit of 3 per customer. Seems a little pricey.
Self-limiting [wink.gif]

Yes, I bought one bottle after posting that, but I don’t expect I’ll find it great value. I’m not in a hurry to open it.

C. Gle@son

B Beachy
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#109 Post by B Beachy »

There is a table comparing various Japanese whiskies to Scotch on the following Reddit link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/whiskey/commen ... se_whisky/
|3 0 |3 |3 `/

Michael S. Monie

#110 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Had Nikka's "From The Barrel" today for the first time. I like.
“To study the Buddha Way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of enlightenment remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.”

― Dogen

B Beachy
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#111 Post by B Beachy »

Michael S. Monie wrote: August 5th, 2022, 2:42 pm Had Nikka's "From The Barrel" today for the first time. I like.
This used to be the ultimate stupid great value in Japan. It was around $16 for 500 ml when I was there in 2016. With the way spirits prices have gone lately, it's maybe a decent buy again in the US, depending on if you buy from someone who gouges on anything Japanese or not. Definitely a malt that appeals to a wide audience with a bit of a bourbon bent, but I wouldn't recommend stretching far above $80/750 to try it.
|3 0 |3 |3 `/

LMD Ermitaño

#112 Post by LMD Ermitaño »

Michael S. Monie wrote: August 5th, 2022, 2:42 pm Had Nikka's "From The Barrel" today for the first time. I like.
Same here - first time to try it Friday night (Philippines time). I can’t remember much; but, I did drink a respectable amount of it, which is a good sign.
DB9796D9-26D9-4355-968B-AC7214A7CC2F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Michael S. Monie

#113 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Noel, I don't know if you have had Nikka's "Yoichi' but I like it a lot also. It's a NAS but very Scotch-like at a decent price.
“To study the Buddha Way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of enlightenment remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.”

― Dogen

LMD Ermitaño

#114 Post by LMD Ermitaño »

Michael S. Monie wrote: August 6th, 2022, 6:25 pm Noel, I don't know if you have had Nikka's "Yoichi' but I like it a lot also. It's a NAS but very Scotch-like at a decent price.
Hi, Michael. Yes, I recall having had that as well. From my notes (from the tail end of a Tokyo work trip in October 2018).
8DA80E69-F31D-4900-9D76-A6E6660477C5.jpeg
The “Peaty & Salty” reminded me of an Islay, but for its Irish whisky-esque vanilla & crème brûlée finish…
6677F7EA-A21D-4CAB-BB57-B12678B355A3.jpeg
…while the “Woody & Vanillic” brought to mind a lighter-footed Speyside.

These, among others, were had after a wine/saké paired kaiseki dinner at a friend’s restaurant (Oshino Yashima, located at 4667 Uchino, Oshino-mura, Minamitsuru-gun 401-0512, Yamanashi Prefecture). I hadn’t seen said friend, Hiro-san, in quite a while; so, we got pretty plastered - such that they had to call a driver/car service to get us back to the house. Thus, my vague recollection of the whiskies must be suspect at best.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Return to “Beer and Spirits”