What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Tom Blackwood

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16801 Post by Tom Blackwood » October 21st, 2020, 11:27 am

Monkish Dodger cans? That's a pass!! Go Rays.
(ITB)

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16802 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 21st, 2020, 1:27 pm

With the incredible array of awesome hazies currently available at retail I am somewhat shocked to see folks play the Monkish game. I'll circle back once they're doing growler fills, I guess. In the meantime, I'll continue buying North Park, Crowns and Hops, Cooperage, Pariah, and many others and will be quite happy with having done so. :)
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16803 Post by Matt Latuchie » October 22nd, 2020, 8:11 am

Will be in SoCal next week for work and ordered a couple 4-packs from Fieldwork to have shipped to my hotel room (will be driving back to Las Vegas).

4-pack Missle Park IPA
4-pack Miles City Helles
4-pack Hasherdabbery IPA
4-pack Citramancer DDH
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

BRhoades

#16804 Post by BRhoades » October 22nd, 2020, 4:58 pm

Cellarmaker Brewing Co. 7yr DIPA.8.8% ABV Hopped with Citra, Strata,Galaxy, Centennial and HBC 630.

Brewed to celebrate Cellarmakers 7th Anniversary this DIPA is a glorious reminder of what west coast IPA/DIPAs were back in their heyday. This is a dank bitter hoppy slap in the face. It has notes of ripe tropical fruits like mango's and papaya's, sweet tangerine's and gob's of dripping sticky hop resin. Cellarmaker makes some beautiful beers, unfortunately we don't see a lot here in So Cal, I have a bottle shop in San Diego that get's their stuff occasionally and today I was fortunate to grab a few of their beers. If you love clear old school west coasters, BTW, disregard the hazy descriptor on the label, it's a clear DIPA, you need to seek out some of their beers, their single hopped IPA series are amazing.

Highly Recommend,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time~Bud

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16805 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » October 23rd, 2020, 10:41 am

Just finished a 4-pack of Modern Times Spaceways. I do not know how long they have been in the Chicago market, but they are more than welcome. Delicious.
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

BRhoades

#16806 Post by BRhoades » October 23rd, 2020, 4:29 pm

Green Cheek Beer Co. Don't Wake Me Up. TIPA.10.2% ABV. DDH'd with Citra and then hit with equal parts Mosaic and Strata. If there has been a silver lining to this upside down world in 2020 from a beer perspective then for me it's been Green Cheek. By far my favorite and most purchased beers from any brewery this year and its beer's like this that keeps bringing me back time and time again. This pours a beautiful milky white orange color with a pinky of tight creamy head. The aromatics are out of this world, however its the way Evan can coax flavors and aromatics out of each individual hop in a beers recipe that is down right brilliant. You get the citrus characteristics form the Citra, the amazing tropical/stonefruit and zesty traits from the Strata and the dank berry notes from the Mosaic all in one sip, these are far from muddled beers that can often plague a brewery with beers that despite being delicious can all have a very similar flavor profile. There is zero alcohol to be detected, I would beg anyone to drink this blind and tell me it was over 7.5%. This only gets more complex and flavorful as it warms and opens up. The body is soft full and creamy, it finishes long and dry with a sweet kiss of red berries at the end. Brewery only but for some strange reason these beers last longer retail wise unlike some other locally hyped breweries and are relatively easy to purchase, either through their curbside option or Covid safe walk up. I could go on about all their other world class beers Ive been drinking like their amazing Helles Lager called Bier that we have been crushing by the four pack or his world class west coast IPA/DIPA's such as" I knew That Years Ago" and the perfectly titled IPA, "Member IPA ?" Do yourself a favor, visit one of their two brewery/restuarant locations and enjoy some of the best west coast beer being made and some very good to excellent pub grub, these guys are killing it.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on October 24th, 2020, 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16807 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 23rd, 2020, 6:59 pm

Temps are dropping into the 40s tonight... and I needed something to pair with a buttery, spiced ribeye.

Chocolate, cloves, cinnamon and a little cherry make this 13.3% gravy bomb a perfect pairing with fatty steak. Think mole.
Attachments
B3D9415A-45D8-41EB-A84B-D29712863F04.jpeg
Instagram at @akgrill

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16808 Post by Mike Maguire » October 25th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Not a baller beer, one good thing happened in 2020.Mac n Jacks is now permanently canning African Amber. [winner.gif]

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16809 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 25th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Mike Maguire wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 1:50 pm
Not a baller beer, one good thing happened in 2020.Mac n Jacks is now permanently canning African Amber. [winner.gif]
LOL. Mac n Jacks - empowering dads across the Eastside with kids in Emerald City Gymnastics.

I took a drive to SoDo to fill a couple of Georgetown growlers (Bird IPA, Meowsa DIPA) and pick up some Jack’s BBQ to go.
Instagram at @akgrill

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16810 Post by Mike Maguire » October 25th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Nice!

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16811 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 26th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Beachwood did another canning of 28 Haze Later. Quite happy to see 4 pack price now $12.99, as opposed to the $14.99 I recall from the past.

Almanac - "First Class Delivery" NEIIPA --- took a flyer on this 4-pack ($22 had me pretty cautious) because it's labelled as being dry-hopped with Nelson. Verdict: super effin' glad I took a shot on this because it. is. fantastic!

Almanac & Moonraker - "Time Bender" NEIIPA --- hopped with Mosaic, Motueka, and Cashmere. I thought this was good-not-great. I'm starting to wonder if the Cashmere hop just isn't my thing --- a conclusion I recently accepted with Sabro.

2018 Drie Fonteinen - Hommage --- awesome.

2018 Tilquin - Oude Quetsche --- not much plum flavor. Kinda disappointing if the fruit is already falling out of this one.

2015 - 2016 Boon - Oude Geuze --- excellent.

ESBC - Mayberrry IPA

PP - Swami's IPA
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

BRhoades

#16812 Post by BRhoades » October 26th, 2020, 4:24 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 12:31 pm
Beachwood did another canning of 28 Haze Later. Quite happy to see 4 pack price now $12.99, as opposed to the $14.99 I recall from the past.

Almanac - "First Class Delivery" NEIIPA --- took a flyer on this 4-pack ($22 had me pretty cautious) because it's labelled as being dry-hopped with Nelson. Verdict: super effin' glad I took a shot on this because it. is. fantastic!

Almanac & Moonraker - "Time Bender" NEIIPA --- hopped with Mosaic, Motueka, and Cashmere. I thought this was good-not-great. I'm starting to wonder if the Cashmere hop just isn't my thing --- a conclusion I recently accepted with Sabro.

2018 Tilquin - Oude Quetsche --- not much plum flavor. Kinda disappointing if the fruit is already falling out of this one.

ESBC - Mayberrry IPA

PP - Swami's IPA
Nice notes Brian, I am not a fan of Cashmere, I don't like it's characteristics and how it plays out with other hops, I toss it into the same category as Sabro hops, avoid at all costs. I grabbed the new batch of 28 Haze as well, IMHO its at the top of the shelfy heap.

Cheers man,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16813 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 26th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Hey, Bud! Hope you're doing well these days. :)

You really need to find that Almanac "First Class Delivery" --- I found mine at TW. Totally in your wheelhouse, for all the obvious reasons.

Funny you mention Sabro, too, as being a disappointment. As for another hop I mentioned in my post -- Motueka -- I've found that I love it but *only* when it holds a minority position in a blend --- when it's the leading hop I just don't like it much.

BRhoades

#16814 Post by BRhoades » October 26th, 2020, 4:58 pm

October 26th, 2020, 4:42 pm
Hey, Bud! Hope you're doing well these days. :)

You really need to find that Almanac "First Class Delivery" --- I found mine at TW. Totally in your wheelhouse, for all the obvious reasons.

Funny you mention Sabro, too, as being a disappointment. As for another hop I mentioned in my post -- Motueka -- I've found that I love it but *only* when it holds a minority position in a blend --- when it's the leading hop I just don't like it much.
I'll look for it man, sounds like my sweet spot ! Carolyn and I are doing well, we hope you and Ash are too ! Miss getting together with you guys, hopefully we'll be able to re-connect sooner than later, lot's of wine and beer here that needs to be enjoyed with friends.

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#16815 Post by BRhoades » October 31st, 2020, 4:26 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Experimental Flows DIPA. 8.5% ABV. DDH'd with Nelson Sauvin hops with an additional cold hop charge of even more Nelson. Fellow hop heads that know me know my love for high quality Nelson Sauvin hopped beers, the best Nelson hopped beer I've had to date is Monkish's Liquid Flows which is the DIPA DDH'd version of their Broadcasting Live. Take Liquid Flows and add a cold hop charge of these amazing Nelson hops from New Zealand's Freestyle Farms and this turns the amps up to 11. The nose is absolutely amazing, it has that tell tale Nelson trait of what I can only describe in the most positive light as a diesel fuel dank damp forrest floor with the stinkiest of the stickiest green smoking "nugs" that when combined together creates a nose that is insane. The palate shows passion fruit, sweet casaba melon, really ripe pineapple and a potpourri of fleshy stone fruits. It's remarkably light on it's feet for the ABV and finishes long dry and lip smacking delicious. Next level craftsmanship on every level. On line curbside pick up only, if your a Nelson whore like me and want to taste what other worldly Nelson Sauvin hopped beers can taste like I'd search high and low for a can of this, Nelson is a polarizing hop varietal, I would imagine this would be readily available on the secondary market if your into that.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#16816 Post by BRhoades » November 2nd, 2020, 4:36 pm

October 26th, 2020, 12:31 pm

ESBC - Mayberrry IPA

PP - Swami's IPA
Picked up a can ea. of both Almanac beers you mentioned here at my local bottle shop for our Halloween tasting Saturday night. Agree with you on Time Bender, nothing earth shaking, a decent beer but nothing more, I scored it a 3.8 the low B range, like you I'm not a big Cashmere fan. First Class Delivery is a solid beer but lack's the aromatics and flavor profile I look for in a world class Nelson hopped beer, In all fairness, we all shared a couple cans of the otherworldly Experimental Flows from Monkish in our tasting group on Halloween night, the flavors from FCD are delightful, and the body is soft and full but I'm not getting enough Nelson even though it's dry hopped exclusively with it. I gave it a 4.1 out of 5, a really nice beer. Thanks for the recommendations, I enjoyed them both. BTW, when I was in SD last week I stopped by Pizza Port and scored two day old Swamis ! needless to say it was out of this world delicious.

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16817 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 2nd, 2020, 10:31 pm

Glad you liked the FCD, Bud! Sounds like you're not as high on it as I am, and that's cool ... curious why you say "not enough Nelson," as I think it screams Nelson. Maybe not white wine-esque enough?

p.s.: 48 hr. Swami's sounds like flirtysmile

BRhoades

#16818 Post by BRhoades » November 3rd, 2020, 4:34 pm

November 2nd, 2020, 10:31 pm
Glad you liked the FCD, Bud! Sounds like you're not as high on it as I am, and that's cool ... curious why you say "not enough Nelson," as I think it screams Nelson. Maybe not white wine-esque enough?

p.s.: 48 hr. Swami's sounds like flirtysmile
Brian, it's really hard to single out a specific trait per se, if you can take the aromatics I described about Experimental Flows and somehow transfer those into a flavor profile, that would be part of what I meant, more than anything though I think it really boils down to these super high quality Freestyle Farms hops that Henry goes to New Zealand to hand select, they're the stickiest of the ickiest and deliver aromatic's and flavors unlike any other Nelson hop variertal I've had the pleasure to taste. It kind of rolls back to high quality fruit in Burgundy and Bordeaux, there's 1st Growth and Grand Cru and then all the rest, there's plenty of great wines that are neither of those two designations but there is a difference. I feel the same about these super high end hop farms, being a Nelson lover like I am, I also usually only buy beers that are sourced from farms like Freestyle Farms. Locally, Evan at Greencheek and Henry at Monkish are the two breweries I can count on to deliver what I want when shelling out $22-$25 per four pack. So it's not just a lack of Sauv Blanc notes etc, but an overall lack of the entire experience I'm used to based on the quality of the "fruit "

Cheers dude,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16819 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 4th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Cool beans, Bud.

A Nelson-hopped West Coast IPA I recently enjoyed was Brewery X's "First Anniversary" "Slap & Tickle". You tried that one? It is *not* their normal "Slap & Tickle."

I've really enjoyed most of what I've tried from Brewery X so far --- will definitely check it out next time I'm in Anaheim (along with Green Cheek). :)

BRhoades

#16820 Post by BRhoades » November 4th, 2020, 5:40 pm

November 4th, 2020, 1:16 pm
Cool beans, Bud.

A Nelson-hopped West Coast IPA I recently enjoyed was Brewery X's "First Anniversary" "Slap & Tickle". You tried that one? It is *not* their normal "Slap & Tickle."

I've really enjoyed most of what I've tried from Brewery X so far --- will definitely check it out next time I'm in Anaheim (along with Green Cheek). :)
My nephew brings Brewery X stuff over to the house when they visit and from the sample size Ive had I really have enjoyed them.. Do yourself a big favor and hit up Greencheek, you'll love their stuff, trust me !

Cheers !

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16821 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 6th, 2020, 11:58 pm

Lagunitas - "Born Yesterday" Pale Ale
Pariah - "Lebron Haze" NEIPA
Pariah - "Catch Me Coastin West Coast IPA"

Every year I find the "Born Yesterday" to be a solid value-play. This year is no exception. Clean, crispy, and green.

The two Pariah beers were excellent.

The "Lebron Haze" is a 7.5% DDH NEIPA. It's advertised as being "Galaxy-focused", but it's not clear if there are supporting hops, too. This is cloudy as all get out. It has a heavy mouthfeel for it's abv., but it doesn't drink stronger than it is.

The "Catch Me Coastin'" is hopped with Mosaic, Simcoe, Citra, and Amarillo. Apparently, Pariah doesn't do West Coast IPAs because the whole story behind this beer is "Pariah does a West Coast." I've greatly enjoyed Pariah beers previously, so was figuring it would be fun to try their West Coast IPA. Moments into pouring the beer into the glass I literally LOL'd as I saw a fairly murky, dark orange, hazy cascading into the glass. It's not quite as murky as other Pariah beers, which tends to imply they might have maybe(???) actually being serious with their "West Coast IPA" labelling and story, but still ... this is nowhere close to a West Coast IPA. That out of the way, how was it? It's very much on the lighter-bodied side of hazies. It has a light tangerine flavor; some orange creamsicle. Arguably a very hazy unfiltered as opposed to what is more commonly referred to as "hazy." 7%, so not a waif. I like it, but it's in a zone that doesn't seem to get a whole lotta love from others.

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16822 Post by Robert M yers » November 10th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Luckily caught an allotment of Tilquin Mure, Pinot Gris and Pinot Noir. Love the stuff and hope to do a side by side soon then age the rest.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16823 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 22nd, 2020, 7:08 am

Really surprised with this bottle - Abyss has always been one of the few BBAs that actually tasted like beer to me. This one had a strange metallic tinge to it that was totally out of place, based on experience drinking >50 of them over the last 10 years.
Attachments
327B8FEC-47AE-48D2-B24D-26B006FE80F9.jpeg
Instagram at @akgrill

Return to “Beer and Spirits”