What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
cjdelaney

Re: What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

#401 Post by cjdelaney » February 6th, 2020, 5:49 am

I'm new to cigars and want to try something light to begin with to pair with my bourbon. Bourbon will most likely be a E.H. Taylor Small Batch or Eagle Rare. Any recommendations?
C l @ y

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#402 Post by Randy Bowman » February 6th, 2020, 7:17 pm

Clay,

Newer blends and brands: Alec Bradley Connecticut line is on the lighter side of medium and has some spice to cut the sweetness of Bourbon. A. J. Fernandez Connecticut is the same strength but leans towards saddle leather. Esteban Carrerras Unforgiven about the same strength with nuttiness and a touch of cedar.

Old world cigars: Macanudo, Romeo e Juliet, Monte Cristo Classic or White.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#403 Post by Randy Bowman » February 6th, 2020, 7:47 pm

De Los Reyes Cigars Don Julio Punta Espada Gordo 6x58. One of my reps dropped in and provided me with the cigar, a new addition to accompany their Saga line of cigars. The cold draw was tobacco and cedar. Draw is excellent and the burn even. Ashed at one inch, the ash remained in one piece. A little heat and black pepper at the start which settled to leather notes and a white pepper finish. It didn't change much for the first inch and ashing. The tobacco flavors now added some mild sweetness to the leather notes and I get some cedar on the back side. After forty five minutes, I arrive at the beginning of the last third. There is a nuttiness that has slowly been building that are now key to the flavor profile. I catch some citrus zest appearing faintly and intermittently and the cigar finishes with nuttiness at the forefront, followed by the citrus zest, leather and a light white pepper finale.
donjulio.jpg
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Jason Hagen

#404 Post by Jason Hagen » February 6th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 7:25 pm
My Father La Opulencia Toro. Nice looking cigar. Cold draw doesn't give away much. Some earthiness and a little cocoa. The burn is even and the ash solid to an inch and came off as one piece when I ashed. Starts off with earthy tobacco notes and a hint of cocoa. Some woodiness adds to the flavors as it approaches the one third mark. Moving towards the half way mark, the flavors are increasing like when a wine starts to open up. There is some sweetness appearing and it is changing the cocoa to chocolate. There are some spices intermingling at the two third mark and I'm chasing them trying to identify them. What an interesting and tasty cigar.
Thanks for the note. It has been a few years since I have had a branded My Father cigar. I need to pay a visit to the line up.

J

Jason Hagen

#405 Post by Jason Hagen » February 6th, 2020, 11:46 pm

cjdelaney wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 5:49 am
I'm new to cigars and want to try something light to begin with to pair with my bourbon. Bourbon will most likely be a E.H. Taylor Small Batch or Eagle Rare. Any recommendations?
Listen to Randy. Lighter cigars have been a bit out of fashion for a while but there are lots out there. It would be good to get a sampler pack of mild cigars and see what you like.

J

cjdelaney

#406 Post by cjdelaney » February 7th, 2020, 5:32 am

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 7:17 pm
Clay,

Newer blends and brands: Alec Bradley Connecticut line is on the lighter side of medium and has some spice to cut the sweetness of Bourbon. A. J. Fernandez Connecticut is the same strength but leans towards saddle leather. Esteban Carrerras Unforgiven about the same strength with nuttiness and a touch of cedar.

Old world cigars: Macanudo, Romeo e Juliet, Monte Cristo Classic or White.
Jason Hagen wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 11:46 pm
cjdelaney wrote:
Listen to Randy. Lighter cigars have been a bit out of fashion for a while but there are lots out there. It would be good to get a sampler pack of mild cigars and see what you like.

J
Thanks gentlemen.
C l @ y

LMD Ermitaño

#407 Post by LMD Ermitaño » February 7th, 2020, 6:00 am

Home on a Friday night; so...
Attachments
788C05BA-0FA4-4687-82CC-8DEC5F9FB3BE.jpeg
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#408 Post by Jud Reis » February 7th, 2020, 9:32 am

You guys are killing me - can’t wait for warmer weather....

Jason Hagen

#409 Post by Jason Hagen » February 7th, 2020, 9:47 am

Alec Bradley Black Market Vandal Toro 6.2 X 54 - Purchased in January 2020 @ $4.38

For some reason, this cigar felt bigger than a 54 ring but whatever. After AB won cigar of the year, I started having more misses than hits with his cigars so I stop buying. The Black Market I had last week was the final AB cigar in my humi but I thought it was time to revisit so I grabbed all of the Black Market series.

I gave this a little dry hit and got some TCA which freaked me out but there was none once I lit it. This Vandal is a bit un-nuanced at the moment. Nice smoke. Full bodied and medium flavors. Not a lot of smoke on each draw until about half way through. Peppery, white and black. Some Oolong tea. And 3/4 of the way through there were bolder flavors. Easy smoke at around 85 minutes. Should develop with some more time in a stable environment. Next one will be at the start of summer or maybe Halloween or Thanksgiving. My thoughts for the future are high for this cigar. - B

Jason
Attachments
IMG_2058.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#410 Post by Jason Hagen » February 7th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Ortega Cubao Churchill 7 X 50 Purchased January 2020 @ $2.90 - A recommend (great recommend from Greg P.)

A real treat, especially at that price. The construction is okay with a crack right across the middle (you can see it in the pic) but it didn't seem to affect the smoke at all. Enjoyable tobacco flavors. Then kind of like licking cedar covered in nutmeg and cinnamon. But subtle. Long pleasant finish. Great draw but the ash kept falling off, hitting me twice. I hate that! Medium to full body and mild/medium flavors. Easy smoke to enjoy. About halfway through there were milk chocolate and cookie dough but not sweet. I don't buy a lot of Churchills but this was perfect. About a 100 minute smoke. = B+

Jason
Attachments
IMG_2090.jpeg

GregP

#411 Post by GregP » February 7th, 2020, 4:37 pm

cjdelaney wrote:
Try Baccarat, they are perfect noob cigars, also have sweetened caps.

And as much as most drink alcohol of some sort I'd strongly suggest something on a sweet side. Either a pop of some sort, or my choice, a desert wine. Either Port or a Pedro Ximenez. Cleanses your palate way better than alcohol.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

GregP

#412 Post by GregP » February 7th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 4:12 pm
Ortega Cubao Churchill 7 X 50 Purchased January 2020 @ $2.90 - A recommend (great recommend from Greg P.)

A real treat, especially at that price. The construction is okay with a crack right across the middle (you can see it in the pic) but it didn't seem to affect the smoke at all. Enjoyable tobacco flavors. Then kind of like licking cedar covered in nutmeg and cinnamon. But subtle. Long pleasant finish. Great draw but the ash kept falling off, hitting me twice. I hate that! Medium to full body and mild/medium flavors. Easy smoke to enjoy. About halfway through there were milk chocolate and cookie dough but not sweet. I don't buy a lot of Churchills but this was perfect. About a 100 minute smoke. = B+

Jason
Thin (natural) wrappers with plenty of flavor, pretty much most natural wrappers and not just Cubao. They do split in drier air, main problem I have in Vegas where most days are 8-15% humidity. Using V cutter lately, which helps a lot.

Having a Cubao Robusto as I type. Perfect day today with warm air and plenty of sun, no wind (in Sacramento). Very nuanced and complex smoke with a clean finish. I'd say let them rest some, they will improve, greatly so.

Had a couple of Room 101 Farce Robustos over the past couple of days. Another strong recommendation, well, anything Room 101 is and they are more available now. Even more complex and nuanced than Cubao, if not by much, where Cubao delivers some notes of nuts Farce is more on the fruity side. I'll bring you a couple in 2 weeks, along with some limited production Tats with 12-15 years on them. Will call Crowne Plaza to make sure we can relax on their outdoor patio, last time they had no issue. Shame you cannot imbibe, I'll have some 15 year old Pappy and a 1972 Pedro Ximenez with me.

cjdelaney

#413 Post by cjdelaney » February 7th, 2020, 5:22 pm

GregP wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 4:37 pm
cjdelaney wrote:
Try Baccarat, they are perfect noob cigars, also have sweetened caps.

And as much as most drink alcohol of some sort I'd strongly suggest something on a sweet side. Either a pop of some sort, or my choice, a desert wine. Either Port or a Pedro Ximenez. Cleanses your palate way better than alcohol.
Thanks Greg. Appreciate it.
C l @ y

Jason Hagen

#414 Post by Jason Hagen » February 7th, 2020, 5:42 pm

GregP wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 4:52 pm
Jason Hagen wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Jason
Thin (natural) wrappers with plenty of flavor, pretty much most natural wrappers and not just Cubao. They do split in drier air, main problem I have in Vegas where most days are 8-15% humidity. Using V cutter lately, which helps a lot.

Having a Cubao Robusto as I type. Perfect day today with warm air and plenty of sun, no wind (in Sacramento). Very nuanced and complex smoke with a clean finish. I'd say let them rest some, they will improve, greatly so.

Had a couple of Room 101 Farce Robustos over the past couple of days. Another strong recommendation, well, anything Room 101 is and they are more available now. Even more complex and nuanced than Cubao, if not by much, where Cubao delivers some notes of nuts Farce is more on the fruity side. I'll bring you a couple in 2 weeks, along with some limited production Tats with 12-15 years on them. Will call Crowne Plaza to make sure we can relax on their outdoor patio, last time they had no issue. Shame you cannot imbibe, I'll have some 15 year old Pappy and a 1972 Pedro Ximenez with me.
Yeah the rest of my Cubaos will get some time in the humi. I have robustos as well. I also got some Farce and a sick deal on some Ichiban Connecticuts ($1.70 a piece.)

Giving both of them a letting time to settle in at my place. And 15 CAO Brasilias. I have one left that you sent me that I'll smoke soon.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#415 Post by Randy Bowman » February 7th, 2020, 8:07 pm

I've had several people ask for machine made, dry cured and small cigars similar to Toscanos. One of my reps suggested the Villiger line and dropped off some to try. I've never had anything like that for 30 years, so I thought I'd try and post on the Villiger Export Maduro. Comes in a box of five. Each box pressed cigar is wrapped in paper. I took pictures and looked up some info. The Maduro is supposed to be richer in flavor and smooth so it should be tasty. Cold draw was tobacco flavors. Fired it up and gave it five minutes to settle. There are flavors of tobacco. It is smooth, but I'm not getting anything I expect from a Maduro beyond tobacco flavors. It is one dimensional like a cigarette is. Burn was excellent and the ash solid. I may have missed what it had to offer entirely. I can't blame taste buds because the wine we had right afterward was fine down to tiny nuances. It was a twenty minute smoke for me, so fifteen for a nicotine addict and thirty for a connoisseur.
villiger.jpg
villiger2.jpg

Jason Hagen

#416 Post by Jason Hagen » February 8th, 2020, 11:11 am

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 8:07 pm
It is one dimensional like a cigarette is.
I hate that. I don't mind a cigarette here and there but it will usually be a Bali Shag that I rolled myself. Often times more complex than certain cigars.

Jason

Jason Hagen

#417 Post by Jason Hagen » February 8th, 2020, 11:11 am

It's 11:11. Time to light up!

J

Jason Hagen

#418 Post by Jason Hagen » February 8th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Southern Draw Firethorn Habano Rosado Toro 6 X 52 Purchased January 2020 @ $3.96 a stick.

Since I just did a restock, I keep smoking stuff within a week of delivery which I know is not ideal but I really wanted to try my first Southern Draw. The draw was a little tougher than I prefer but I gave it a few minutes and then hit it with my Perfect Draw. Being a 6" stick, I didn't go all the way through but it loosens up about the halfway point. The flavors didn't change much. Bold with nuts and hot cocoa. Not very complex at this stage but a smooth smoking cigar. I enjoyed it. The aromas were awesome. The cigar never got hot which I like for such a power cigar. Time in the humi will show what it is really about. 120 minute smoke = B

Jason

Looks like it is time to clean the ashtray and Kings, get it together!
Attachments
Image.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#419 Post by Randy Bowman » February 8th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Villiger La Flor Ynclan robusto. An interesting blend. Hard to get it lit and packed with black pepper at first. Settles down pretty quick. The pepper fades and cream comes to the forefront. The burn is straight and clean. The ash looks like concrete and sticks to the cigar like cement. A hint of chocolate appears at one inch, ash still firmly attached. I ashed at about an inch three quarters. Some nuttiness has joined in now and the flavors are dancing. Cream and chocolate followed by walnuts and some citrus on the retrohale. Slow burning and complex until the toothpick caught fire. Excellent cigar.
20200208_154553.jpg
20200208_160347.jpg

Jason Hagen

#420 Post by Jason Hagen » February 8th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 4:25 pm
Villiger La Flor Ynclan robusto. An interesting blend. Hard to get it lit and packed with black pepper at first. Settles down pretty quick. The pepper fades and cream comes to the forefront. The burn is straight and clean. The ash looks like concrete and sticks to the cigar like cement. A hint of chocolate appears at one inch, ash still firmly attached. I ashed at about an inch three quarters. Some nuttiness has joined in now and the flavors are dancing. Cream and chocolate followed by walnuts and some citrus on the retrohale. Slow burning and complex until the toothpick caught fire. Excellent cigar.
Was this part of the sampler you were given? Sound a hell of a lot better.

J

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#421 Post by Randy Bowman » February 8th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Yes it was another cigar provided by the rep who wanted to make sure I knew Villiger makes high end cigars. Read up on it as I smoked it and there were a lot accolades for this particular cigar. He also left me a couple cigars from the Saga line. We purchase all our Padron cigars from his company. They have the best selection of A. J. Fernandez and My Father lines and deliver in one day versus one week to ten days from the east coast factories. For a youngster, he knows his cigars and works closely with us on getting harder to find product.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#422 Post by Randy Bowman » February 9th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Saint Luis Rey Serie G Double Maduro. Tightly rolled from the band to the cap with a difficult draw and an uneven burn. May have a knot in it. Three holes made with the cigar spike in a triangle and all is good. Starts out with tobacco flavors and pepper. Remained that way until I used the spike. Espresso notes join in with some leather and the burn is now even. Some slight sweetness is chasing the espresso with a leathery finish. Had to spike the cigar again just past the half way mark. Now the draw is smooth again with some cocoa notes intermingled. Starting the final third it is sweet tobacco flavors followed by espresso then the leather. The cigar is pretty full bodied, gaining in strenght, yet smooth. The ash hung on after the burn became even. With an inch left, there is a touch of black fruit before the light white pepper finish. I will revisit this cigar as I think the knot and heavy draw took away the true characteristics of it plus it smoked too quickly.
20200209_173252.jpg

Jason Hagen

#423 Post by Jason Hagen » February 10th, 2020, 11:22 am

Randy, thanks for the note. IIRC I have never had an SL Rey. Looking forward to an update.

J
Last edited by Jason Hagen on February 11th, 2020, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Hagen

#424 Post by Jason Hagen » February 10th, 2020, 4:49 pm

OLIVA MASTER BLENDS 3 CHURCHILL Bought at a lounge.
Started by watching the XFL (St. Louis vs Dallas). Snoozefest. So I shut out all the banter in the room and went to my book.

Nice. Nutty and spicy. Dark fruit and leather. Nice long finish. Draw and burn were even and pretty good. I did get nailed by a falling ash [berserker.gif] = A

Jason
Attachments
IMG_2135.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#425 Post by Jason Hagen » February 10th, 2020, 6:34 pm

Man O War Robusto 5.5 X 50 Purchased in January 2020 @$3.20
A good casual smoke @$3.20 But I would best describe it as simple. Wood, bitter espresso, a small amount of almonds. The finish is long but again, simple. I enjoyed smoking it, but it didn't move me. We'll see what a little more time will do for it. 65 minute smoke. = B

Jason
Attachments
IMG_2158.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#426 Post by Randy Bowman » February 10th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Hadn't had a Cohiba Red Dot for five years and it used to be one of my favorites. Now I remember. A little spice and nuts ahead of leather. I have a glass of Piattelli reserve Malbec to go with the cigar but I'll smoke the first third of the cigar before I try the Malbec. The cigar is creamy smooth nuts and leather with the spice on the finish. The Malbec is big, mouth coating black fruit. Suprisingly, the cigar maintains its flavor profile and medium plus strength. About half way through the cigar it seems to mellow some with more cream and leather and a touch of coffee bean. The cigar actually counters or reduces the sweetness in the wine. As the cigar winds down past the label the nuttiness returns as do the spices on the finish. For the price it should be this good. Still a top 10 cigar for me. Burnt my fingers.
20200210_180535.jpg
20200210_181454.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#427 Post by Randy Bowman » February 10th, 2020, 6:49 pm

20200210_184803.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#428 Post by Randy Bowman » February 11th, 2020, 5:19 pm

El Rey Del Mundo Oscuro robusto is today's pick. We've carried them as long as I remember but I never tried one. The cigars are tissue wrapped and they have a noticeable and tantalizing aroma of tea. The wrapper is oily and black. First up, coffee though I expected tea. The coffee is joined by dark chocolate and some spices on the finish. The burn even and slow. The ash looks like a stack of nickels. Some sweetness is showing after a third of the cigar is consumed and the coffee is changing to espresso. As the burn reaches the area of the band the sweetness is almost caramel like, but fleeting. Espresso dominates for the final few puffs. Very good smoke.
20200211_162551.jpg
20200211_164259.jpg

Jason Hagen

#429 Post by Jason Hagen » February 11th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Don Pepin Garcia Blue - Invictos (Robusto) Had a a cigar lounge.
My first Don Pepin. Not great Draw was a little tough and not much to distinguish on the flavors. Wood and pepper. Later there is a bit of cream. Okay cigar but not something I would buy again although I have a few left. Maybe with some more time, it will begin to show something more interesting. = B-/C+

Jason
Attachments
3B71D8A1-36D2-4EC6-999C-B37BF72AF0D9_1_201_a.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#430 Post by Jason Hagen » February 11th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 5:19 pm
El Rey Del Mundo Oscuro robusto is today's pick. We've carried them as long as I remember but I never tried one. The cigars are tissue wrapped and they have a noticeable and tantalizing aroma of tea. The wrapper is oily and black. First up, coffee though I expected tea. The coffee is joined by dark chocolate and some spices on the finish. The burn even and slow. The ash looks like a stack of nickels. Some sweetness is showing after a third of the cigar is consumed and the coffee is changing to espresso. As the burn reaches the area of the band the sweetness is almost caramel like, but fleeting. Espresso dominates for the final few puffs. Very good smoke.

Sounds nice. Another new one to me.

J

GregP

#431 Post by GregP » February 11th, 2020, 9:35 pm

Used to smoke plenty of ERDMs back in the '90s, maybe need to re-visit.

Jason Hagen

#432 Post by Jason Hagen » February 12th, 2020, 1:03 pm

Alec Bradley Black Market Esteli Torpedo 6.5 X 52 Purchased in Jan 2020 @ $4.88
Oily. At the very start, there is boysenberry and cream. Pleasantly sweet Followed by wood and coffee with cream. Rich big and bold A great smoke. Looking forward to having another in 6 months. I had to leave for a meeting before I could finish so I let it go out and finished this morning. I didn't know what to expect but having the last third with my coffee was awesome. = A+

Jason
Attachments
Image.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#433 Post by Randy Bowman » February 12th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Today's pick is the Pistoff Kristoff robusto. The cigar has a loose, closed foot that drops lit pieces of tobacco, so toast this over an ash tray and not over your lap. Starts out with sweet tobacco flavors, leather and a hint of coffee. Initial burn is uneven requiring me to ash and touch up the burn. The flavors are consistent through the first third. At about the half way mark, coffee starts to dominate followed by leather, a hint of chocolate and mild white pepper on the finish. The ash is heavy and loose and drops off if you don't keep an eye on it. The cigar seems to be getting stronger with more intense flavors in the final third, then mellows out again to the end. Good cigar though not complex. I guess I could be Pistoff about the holes burnt in my shirt and the ashes in my lap. [wink.gif]
20200212_162723.jpg

Jason Hagen

#434 Post by Jason Hagen » February 12th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Kristoff...For a time I felt so highly of them and then I then had a string of underwhelming cigars. I just my first Kristoffs in years but not the Pistoff. I'll report back after they rest for a while.

J

Jason Hagen

#435 Post by Jason Hagen » February 12th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Ave Maria Immaculata Gordo Purchased in Jan. 2020 @ $3.19

A wonderful cigar. Smooth rich and mild with a medium body. Almonds, roasted rutabaga, and white pepper. All in a mild fashion I think over the last 3 months I have smoked more "power: cigars than I have over the last 5 years which has been great. My burnout is finally gone but this was a very nice easy smoking cigar. It did go out on me once but I was reading and tend to neglect the smoke for longer periods. After the halfway point there was a little bit of harshness and heat but nothing that bothered me. I can't believe this is an AJ cigar. = A

Jason
Attachments
IMG_2220.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#436 Post by Randy Bowman » February 13th, 2020, 3:17 pm

A J Fernandez Last Call Flaquita Torpedo Natural

A regular customer said the last two he bought started unraveling half way through the cigar, so I decided to try one. I don't normally smoke a torpedo but since I'm having one I used a Cuban cut. The stick is rock hard with a closed foot. Toasted and easily lit. Flavor bomb is the best description I can give. Roasted meat, red pepper, sweet tobacco, chocolate, nuts, wood, leather and black pepper on the finish. The combination and order changed each time I turned the cigar. The flavors intensify as the cigar progresses past the halfway mark, then mellow back to medium strength for the last third. Burned straight and slow, (hour and twenty minutes), and the wrapper remained intact. The ash had to be coaxed from the cigar. Top ten cigar for me.
lastcall.jpg

Jason Hagen

#437 Post by Jason Hagen » February 13th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Nice. If it is a regular customer maybe this isn't an issue but I wonder if it is a humidity problem

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#438 Post by Randy Bowman » February 13th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 3:54 pm
Nice. If it is a regular customer maybe this isn't an issue but I wonder if it is a humidity problem

Jason
The walk in humidor stays pretty humid. This particular customer puts the cigar in his shirt or jacket pocket and it may stay there most of the day. I may have a bad box that I back filled from as I found one other cigar with a loose wrapper. It happens.

Jason Hagen

#439 Post by Jason Hagen » February 14th, 2020, 8:44 am

Southern Draw Jacob's Ladder Toro Purchased in January 2020 @ $6.80
I am working my way through the Southern Draw cigars and the Jacob's Ladder was described as the biggest of them all but I found this cigar to be quite an easy stick to smoke. The complexity is not there yet but I think short to medium time aging will be its friend. Full-bodied but the flavors are more in the medium to medium/full range. Showing black pepper, leather, and non-spicy, mild slow-braised beef. I am glad to have bought a batch of these. 120 minute smoke. = A

Jason
Attachments
59FA6289-DADF-411F-A1C9-7A1262598A87.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#440 Post by Jason Hagen » February 14th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Room101 Ichiban Connecticut Churchill – Purchased Jan 2020 @ $1.70
A nice and simple cigar. At $1.70 (taxes & shipping included). It did burn uneven at times a little bit of ash flies everywhere so it is a little messy. This is a great stick to have in the humidor for when you want something easy or you have a friend who doesn't smoke much and they want a cigar. It will surely impress. The draw was slightly tough and I knew it would be a long smoke so I hit it with The Perfect Draw and then it was smooth as silk. Tobacco, cream and roasted unsalted almonds. Mild/Medium flavor When my wallet resets, I'll be looking to try the Habano and Maduro. = B+

Jason
Attachments
E12CCBCC-6658-41C3-B646-A8F517B69C8C.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#441 Post by Randy Bowman » February 14th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Cohiba Black Corona

$22.00 and more per stick here in CA. The wrapper is jet black, oily and smells like funky chocolate. Fired it up and dark roast coffee is the primary flavor. Whether it's me or the cigar the flavors that accompany the coffee range from dark chocolate, earth, leather and nuts but they are light and/or fleeting. The cigar is medium plus and burned evenly. One dimensional per se.
20200214_141040.jpg

Jason Hagen

#442 Post by Jason Hagen » February 15th, 2020, 9:59 am

CAO Black Storm (Robusto) $3.58
Very nice looking cigar. Medium body and flavor. First draws are very interesting. I can't place it but it is vegetal and enjoyable Dry flavors with some café latte, caramel and at the finish black cherries. A great cigar that still needs some time to rest. 60 minute smoke. = A-

Jason
Attachments
E54371B4-2405-4DD8-82B1-784B3783DE74.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#443 Post by Randy Bowman » February 15th, 2020, 2:37 pm

A J Fernandez Last Call Genialas Maduro

Quick smoke in case it gets busy. Flavor stick. Coffee, cocoa, cinnamon, smoked meat, vanilla, berries, leather, earth, even some citrus on the finish terminating in white pepper. The combinations, order and dominate flavors change regularly making the experience enjoyable end to end. Should have smoked a bigger one. Enjoying the cigar so much I forgot to remove the label before it caught fire.
20200215_140436.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#444 Post by Randy Bowman » February 16th, 2020, 2:45 pm

C A O l 'Annerversaire box pressed Maduro

Triple Maduro, I was not surprised to find chocolate on the cold draw and the initial light. The initial mid palate and finish is black pepper. The cigar settles in after a half inch with coffee now on the mid palate. About half way through, the cigar adds some earth and leather notes. The coffee is turning into espresso and there is some sweetness countered by the pepper finale. At the final third the sweetness is lingering in my mouth and on my lips. The order of flavors are dark chocolate, espresso, a hint of berries, a hint of cinnamon, then the subdued pepper finale. I'm drinking water and it tastes of chocolate. A very interesting smoke. Now I know what to pair with water to make the water taste better.
20200216_141154.jpg

Jason Hagen

#445 Post by Jason Hagen » February 16th, 2020, 4:14 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 2:37 pm
A J Fernandez Last Call Genialas Maduro

Quick smoke in case it gets busy. Flavor stick. Coffee, cocoa, cinnamon, smoked meat, vanilla, berries, leather, earth, even some citrus on the finish terminating in white pepper. The combinations, order and dominate flavors change regularly making the experience enjoyable end to end. Should have smoked a bigger one. Enjoying the cigar so much I forgot to remove the label before it caught fire.
Hah. Sounds nice. On my shortlist.

Jason

Jason Hagen

#446 Post by Jason Hagen » February 16th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Alec Bradley Black Market Vandal The Con Toro - $3.13
The construction was poor and it did go out a few times. Very mild. A fine smoke if I was by myself but I was with a friend and it was a little distracting. Flavors of wood and nuts. This stick just seemed a little off its game. I'll try another in a few months. = B-

Crowned Heads Jericho Hill Willy Lee Toro - $5.00
After The Con I was craving something bold. Well I found it with this stick. Beautiful looking cigar with big and balanced flavors. As you may know, all of Crown Heads cigars have a music theme and this was is dedicated to Johnny Cash. It burns great and produces lots of smoke. Woody, earthy, peppery, and nutty. With slight bitter espresso note. Not for every day but when you want something massive and yet still holds a nice balance, this is a great choice. – A+

Peace,

Jason
Attachments
86CFF437-37B1-4032-80B9-30AB95FCD1EA_1_201_a.jpeg
697AF75E-DF25-497D-8920-366C0E117076.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#447 Post by Randy Bowman » February 16th, 2020, 7:30 pm

The Crowned Head sounds like it is in my wheelhouse. None of my wholesale cigar reps, nor reps from Crowned Heads have visited and promoted the product. The funny thing is: Is it because they know our clientele wouldn't embrace the cigar; Our clientele has no clue about the cigar; the cigar is specifically made for internet sales and not brick and mortar.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#448 Post by Randy Bowman » February 17th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Look what showed up today.😀
20200217_120900.jpg

Jason Hagen

#449 Post by Jason Hagen » February 17th, 2020, 1:51 pm

SOUTHERN DRAW ROSE OF SHARON TORO $6.10
Great looking cigar. Lights up fast with a good draw and great burn. I wasn't getting quite enough smoke so I hit it with the perfect draw and it began to give me all I need. Mellow but complete and complex. Creamy, peppery. Hints of citrus fruit and toast. = A
Attachments
69CA2B44-A216-4279-93E6-5C0098A737E9.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#450 Post by Jason Hagen » February 17th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 7:30 pm
The Crowned Head sounds like it is in my wheelhouse. None of my wholesale cigar reps, nor reps from Crowned Heads have visited and promoted the product. The funny thing is: Is it because they know our clientele wouldn't embrace the cigar; Our clientele has no clue about the cigar; the cigar is specifically made for internet sales and not brick and mortar.
Yeah I can see that. Their 4 Kicks made an internet stir. I still see them at some local shops but I used to go to Nashville 5-6 times a year so they were everywhere. But even there people will come in looking for Rocky or the Cigar Aficionado top 25 (which Crowned Heads has been on the top 25 IIRC) instead of going with something that has more personality. Kind of like wine

Jason

Return to “Beer and Spirits”