What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16301 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 16th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Nope. Not that one, Bud. It's called Hazy Memory. Crushable.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Steve Eisenhauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16302 Post by Steve Eisenhauer » October 16th, 2019, 1:48 pm

I haven't bought or drunk a bottle or can of beer in months and months. My local watering hole has an 8 tap rotational program. They participate in the NJ Craft Beer Association program and offer $1 off drafts and $2 off 32 oz. growlers. So if I want to drink beer at home, I get a growler, which costs me $6. They just rotated off Kane Head High IPA, a NJ brewery that is one of my favorites.

Right now they have a porter, a stout, an Octoberfest, a couple IPA's, a pumpkin and a hefeweizen (I know, that's seven, so Beermenus.com isn't fully updated). But generally a good mix of brews. Next up for me might be Bell's Porter from Michigan.
Last edited by Steve Eisenhauer on October 16th, 2019, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ITB - Congruence Wines

John Draper

#16303 Post by John Draper » October 16th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Ghost in the Machine from Parish brewing. Always fun to find some rarities (at least for here) before, during, and after GABF. Strikes a nice balance between New England juiciness and West Coast dankness
liberstein

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16304 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 16th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Steve Eisenhauer wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 1:48 pm
I haven't bought or drunk a bottle or can of beer in months and months. My local watering hole has an 8 tap rotational program. They participate in the NJ Craft Beer Association program and offer $1 drafts and $2 off 32 oz. growlers. So if I want to drink beer at home, I get a growler, which costs me $6. They just rotated off Kane Head High IPA, a NJ brewery that is one of my favorites.

Right now they have a porter, a stout, an Octoberfest, a couple IPA's, a pumpkin and a hefeweizen (I know, that's seven, so Beermenus.com isn't fully updated). But generally a good mix of brews. Next up for me will be Bell's Porter from Michigan.
[wow.gif] Dang!!! I would do the same as you if I had your situation.

I edited your above post for accuracy. The Bell's Porter is, imo, one of the three best American Porters that immediately comes to mind (along with the one from Founders, as well as the one from Great Lakes Brewing Co.).

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Scott Tallman

#16305 Post by Scott Tallman » October 16th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Rick, any of the Heater Allen/Wayfinder Rauchbier Hell coming to Seattle? If so, when? flirtysmile

Also, that’s the beer I had in McMinnville a few weeks ago?
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Scott G r u n e r

#16306 Post by Scott G r u n e r » October 16th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Fremont head full of fresh hops- Hazy IPA made with fresh hops. Crazy good IMO. Pungent, Citrusy, Full flavored. Clearly I like some different stuff than other folks here. :)
//Cynic

Scott Tallman

#16307 Post by Scott Tallman » October 16th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 7:52 pm
Fremont head full of fresh hops- Hazy IPA made with fresh hops. Crazy good IMO. Pungent, Citrusy, Full flavored. Clearly I like some different stuff than other folks here. :)
Different strokes is all good. My tastes vary from the guys I drink beer with the most. But that allows me to try things I’d never buy and re-examine my takes on certain breweries and beer styles.

As it’s my neighborhood brewery, I try to support Fremont as much as possible (not that they need my patronage), but there’s only a few beers of theirs I like. Despite many attempts, the Head Full of Dynamite/Head Full of Fresh Hops series is not one of them.
CT - WestbyGod

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16308 Post by Rick Allen » October 18th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 7:38 pm
Rick, any of the Heater Allen/Wayfinder Rauchbier Hell coming to Seattle? If so, when? flirtysmile

That is the beer you had here. There are five kegs in the cold room that are going to Seattle next Friday. BTW, eight of those kegs went to CA yesterday.

Additionally, we are brewing a collaboration here with Modern Times - a smoked version of Tent Beer. We will probably can a small amount (I hope).

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16309 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 18th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
Hey! I'm right there with you - posted a pic of two 4 packs of HFOH on the previous page. I thought it was a solid beer, as were both other fresh hop Reubens releases I drank through.

Don't feel bad; he gives me grief about my beer tastes all of the time. I make myself feel better by thinking of all the times I opted for Le Chouffe or Delirium Tremens instead of spending $15 to choke down a bottle of Cantillon... and then giggling my ass off. neener
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.instagram.com/akgrill

Scott Tallman

#16310 Post by Scott Tallman » October 18th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 1:21 pm
Scott G r u n e r wrote:
Hey! I'm right there with you - posted a pic of two 4 packs of HFOH on the previous page. I thought it was a solid beer, as were both other fresh hop Reubens releases I drank through.

Don't feel bad; he gives me grief about my beer tastes all of the time. I make myself feel better by thinking of all the times I opted for Le Chouffe or Delirium Tremens instead of spending $15 to choke down a bottle of Cantillon... and then giggling my ass off. neener
Wish I drank 1/2 the amount of Cantillon you think I do!
CT - WestbyGod

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16311 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 18th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Will likely be over that way next month; will grab some for you and Mark if I can. Pretty excited to hit up Prague for the first time, so any recommendations appreciated.

Stop two is a toss-up between Paris (wife wants) or Munich (I want). Trying to convince her to take a car tour from Prague to Munich... and then stop at breweries along the way :D

Scott Tallman

#16312 Post by Scott Tallman » October 18th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Will likely be over that way next month; will grab some for you and Mark if I can. Pretty excited to hit up Prague for the first time, so any recommendations appreciated.

Stop two is a toss-up between Paris (wife wants) or Munich (I want). Trying to convince her to take a car tour from Prague to Munich... and then stop at breweries along the way :D
Excellent! I’ll procure some of the Fremont BBA Chocolate Vanilla Maple Syrup Dark Star for trade. [wow.gif]

I’d push hard on Munich over Paris too. Don’t have recommendations for Prague, but I think Jeff Alworth just went and if you search his blog posts (Beervana) you may find recommendations from him or in the reader comments. Thinking Rick May have Munich suggestions
CT - WestbyGod

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16313 Post by Rick Allen » October 18th, 2019, 3:59 pm

My suggestion would be to get out of Munich ASAP and find a place with better beer. With the exception of Augustiner, the Munich breweries are too corporate to make good beer. Salzburg is great (a different Augustiner is my favorite brewery in Europe), Bamberg has multiple great breweries (Schlenkerla, Mahr's, Spezial, Klosterbrau to name a few). Pilsen and a visit to Pilsner Urquell is a must.

Tyler F.

#16314 Post by Tyler F. » October 18th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Kid Kolsch from New Glarus. One of the better beers Dan has put out in the last few years. Grabbed a couple extra six packs to hold me over until it's released again.
Tyler Fabian

Steve Eisenhauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16315 Post by Steve Eisenhauer » October 19th, 2019, 9:48 am

Any feedback on Bell's Chocolate Cherry Vanilla Stout, Rogue Dead Guy and Oskar Blues Death By Coconut? They are among the newest entries at Hoover's Tavern.
ITB - Congruence Wines

Tyler F.

#16316 Post by Tyler F. » October 20th, 2019, 7:35 am

Steve Eisenhauer wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 9:48 am
Any feedback on Bell's Chocolate Cherry Vanilla Stout, Rogue Dead Guy and Oskar Blues Death By Coconut? They are among the newest entries at Hoover's Tavern.
I am a fan of the Death by Coconut. Definitely the best of that bunch, IMO.
Tyler Fabian

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16317 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 20th, 2019, 8:03 am

Georgetown Velvet Larry (fresh hop IPA) was GREAT!

Boneyard Hop-Traitor -IIPA. Cant find anything about it online. Enjoyed, not quite as over the top as some of their other super-up beers (Hop Venom and Notorious).

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16318 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 21st, 2019, 2:08 pm

@Scott - you've got new neighbors. Batch 15 is pretty good!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... spartanntp

Scott Tallman

#16319 Post by Scott Tallman » October 21st, 2019, 2:58 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 2:08 pm

Knew there were coming for awhile, but did not know they were already open. I’ve tried their beers a number of times in Bham and was never impressed. Not going to rush down there, but will swing by sometime and see if I’m missing something
CT - WestbyGod

David Cohen

#16320 Post by David Cohen » October 23rd, 2019, 11:12 am

I have been drink a heck of a lot more beer lately and its cutting in to my consumption time. 1st world problems.
I live a short drive (sometimes a short uber) from Sand City Brewery in Northport on Long Island in New York. Lemme tell you they make some of the best IPA's I have every had. New England and East coast is their main style. Usually a double or triple IPA once in a while a single or session IPA.
Here are some of there more recent IPA releases. They are priced at 16 to 20 for a 4 pack of 16 oz cans. Price is based on alcohol level apparently.
Close Talker
Even Mo Mofo
Guttersnipe
Minus fou
International Playboy
mofosaic
secret spot
2nd wave
Oops i hopped my pants
Salvation Lies within
Soup De Jour
Four
and so many other IPA's. There brew master Kevin brings so much passion and knowledge. They have a line of sours named for patrick swayze movie quotes (no one puts baby in the corner, ditto, etc). They make a belgium table beer called Tafel Beir which is also awesome as well as a belgium blonde called storm born.

If you are in to IPA's and live in the region I strongly suggest you head there.

Scott Tallman

#16321 Post by Scott Tallman » October 23rd, 2019, 3:01 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 2:58 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 2:08 pm

Knew there were coming for awhile, but did not know they were already open. I’ve tried their beers a number of times in Bham and was never impressed. Not going to rush down there, but will swing by sometime and see if I’m missing something
Stopped in just now as found out they are dog friendly. Very nice, but small-ish space. Had the Batch 15 and Fresh Hop Kellerbier. Both were ok. Not going to usurp Holy Mountain, Bottleworks or Brouwer’s (Or even Fremont) in visits, but nice to have another dog friendly brewery in the neighborhood.

It was surprisingly packed this afternoon (many indicated they were really excited for the opening), so that bodes well for its future.
CT - WestbyGod

Scott Tallman

#16322 Post by Scott Tallman » October 25th, 2019, 11:18 am

Rick Allen wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Scott Tallman wrote:

That is the beer you had here. There are five kegs in the cold room that are going to Seattle next Friday. BTW, eight of those kegs went to CA yesterday.

Additionally, we are brewing a collaboration here with Modern Times - a smoked version of Tent Beer. We will probably can a small amount (I hope).
Do you know where the Rauchbier kegs are heading here (fingers crossed Bottleworks or Brouwer’s)?
CT - WestbyGod

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16323 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 25th, 2019, 1:16 pm

F them. Send it Redmond or Kirkland!!!

Scott Tallman

#16324 Post by Scott Tallman » October 25th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 1:16 pm
F them. Send it Redmond or Kirkland!!!
Nah, that’s the land of thic stouts and piney IPAs. neener
CT - WestbyGod

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16325 Post by Rick Allen » October 26th, 2019, 10:56 am

Scott Tallman wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 11:18 am
Rick Allen wrote:
Scott Tallman wrote:

Do you know where the Rauchbier kegs are heading here (fingers crossed Bottleworks or Brouwer’s)?
Bottleworks, The Bine (Bothell), Chuck's Central, TeKU Tavern, Slowboat.

BTW, we brewed Smoked Tent Beer with Modern Times at our place on Thursday.

Scott Tallman

#16326 Post by Scott Tallman » October 26th, 2019, 11:51 am

Rick Allen wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 10:56 am
Scott Tallman wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 11:18 am
Rick Allen wrote:

Bottleworks, The Bine (Bothell), Chuck's Central, TeKU Tavern, Slowboat.

BTW, we brewed Smoked Tent Beer with Modern Times at our place on Thursday.
Thanks! Went to Bottleworks yesterday late afternoon to get some Schwartz cans and hopefully some Rauchbier on tap, but they said the new HA had not come in. Must have just missed Patrick as an hour or so later saw Bottleworks post they had Scwarz cans. Will swing back by this weekend.

Hoping some of the Smoked MT Collab makes it up here
CT - WestbyGod

BRhoades

#16327 Post by BRhoades » October 26th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Modern Times Beer. Astral Prism. DIPA. Hopped with Nelson, Mosaic and Amarillo. 9% ABV. 19.2 oz Stove Pipe cans.

This is my favorite hoppy beer from the October on-line/league special releases. I love this hop bill combo. The earthy vineous nose is from the heavy Nelson Sauvin additions. The flavor profile is white grape, crushed sweet pineapple, mango, passion fruit and stone fruits. This is all carried on a lighter than expected spritzy body that stays clean and crisp and finishes very dry and long with lingering white flower notes. There is zero booze factor evident, this drinks like an IPA in the 6.5-7.5 ABV range. Scary crushable.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

Brian Lynch

#16328 Post by Brian Lynch » October 30th, 2019, 11:15 am

BRhoades wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Modern Times Beer. Astral Prism. DIPA. Hopped with Nelson, Mosaic and Amarillo. 9% ABV. 19.2 oz Stove Pipe cans.

This is my favorite hoppy beer from the October on-line/league special releases. I love this hop bill combo. The earthy vineous nose is from the heavy Nelson Sauvin additions. The flavor profile is white grape, crushed sweet pineapple, mango, passion fruit and stone fruits. This is all carried on a lighter than expected spritzy body that stays clean and crisp and finishes very dry and long with lingering white flower notes. There is zero booze factor evident, this drinks like an IPA in the 6.5-7.5 ABV range. Scary crushable.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Do you think these are generally available tomorrow/this weekend in SD or was it a special release that sold out?

BRhoades

#16329 Post by BRhoades » October 30th, 2019, 11:46 am

Brian Lynch wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 11:15 am
BRhoades wrote:

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Do you think these are generally available tomorrow/this weekend in SD or was it a special release that sold out?
Brian, this was a special release and most MT's are sold out. They still have cans at the Encinitas location which is about a half hour from the Loma Land location. Check their website for availability. They'll have an asterisk by the beer if it's available to go.

Cheers,

Bud

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16330 Post by Mark Y » October 30th, 2019, 2:42 pm

A few bottles last weekend in Brussels. Always fun visits!

Y.e.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16331 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 30th, 2019, 2:47 pm

My thoughts:
Attachments
Downey.JPG
Downey.JPG (9.3 KiB) Viewed 416 times

Scott Tallman

#16332 Post by Scott Tallman » October 30th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 2:47 pm
My thoughts:
The Lambic hate is strong with this one [wink.gif]
CT - WestbyGod

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16333 Post by Mike Maguire » October 31st, 2019, 5:18 am

Will be in Astoria in a few hours, planning on Fort George and Buoy, an others?

Scott Tallman

#16334 Post by Scott Tallman » October 31st, 2019, 7:21 am

Mike Maguire wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 5:18 am
Have not been, but have good things about Reachbreak. IIRC, brewer/owner is from DeGarde.
CT - WestbyGod

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16335 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 31st, 2019, 10:34 am

BRhoades wrote:

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
I had one of these last night, and agree with your assessment in its entirety. Drinks waaaaay easy --- gulpable.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16336 Post by Mike Maguire » October 31st, 2019, 3:11 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 7:21 am
Mike Maguire wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 5:18 am
Have not been, but have good things about Reachbreak. IIRC, brewer/owner is from DeGarde.
Thanks Scott, I’ll check them out.Stopped at FG today had a Lager in the Rye, really floral and a great finish, and Bourbumpkin ale , one of the best of that style I’ve ever had, hid it’s 14.4 abc really well

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#16337 Post by Robert M yers » November 4th, 2019, 4:25 pm

CBS 12Oz 4 packs just arrived. Much better deal packaged this way so I loaded up as they say it’s the last one (don’t believe it).

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16338 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 4th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Damn!!! Yay!!!! I have been waiting for CBS 4packs!

Mel Hill

#16339 Post by Mel Hill » November 4th, 2019, 6:42 pm

EA7A5CC0-CC26-4ACD-BFD2-0085706B2BB5.jpeg
Stopped in at Outer Range in Frisco,CO today after skiing.
Tried a couple and came home with 2 4pks of
Willow IPA

Maybe because it was good but also our dog is named Willow!

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16340 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 4th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Melvin 2x4. Yeah, it’s what you’d expect with the name.

Had a Structures hazy tonight and was pleasantly surprised.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#16341 Post by Robert M yers » November 4th, 2019, 10:39 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 5:16 pm
I bought 24, Ha! Over a hundred dollars in beer, but Screams like a deal when you don’t have to look at those bombers...
Great Sunday brunch beer.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16342 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 4th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 10:39 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 5:16 pm
I bought 24, Ha! Over a hundred dollars in beer, but Screams like a deal when you don’t have to look at those bombers...
Great Sunday brunch beer.
It is my second-favorite breakfast beer, behind only Aecht Schlenkerla's Urbock Rauchbier. I, too, will likely buy a ridiculous amount if and when I see it.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#16343 Post by Robert M yers » November 5th, 2019, 6:38 am

If anybody’s wants to trade local beers for CBS I’ll have access probably today only...I’m not sure how limited it is really this year

I also ran across bombers of Lagunitas Willettized coffee stout 2018. Beer Guy said he has a couple cases he forgot about in the cooler! $9 is the Best Buy in barrel aged beer. Even better supposedly coming out in 12Oz very soon 2019.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16344 Post by James Lyon » November 5th, 2019, 11:12 am

Robert M yers wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 6:38 am
If anybody’s wants to trade local beers for CBS I’ll have access probably today only...I’m not sure how limited it is really this year

I also ran across bombers of Lagunitas Willettized coffee stout 2018. Beer Guy said he has a couple cases he forgot about in the cooler! $9 is the Best Buy in barrel aged beer. Even better supposedly coming out in 12Oz very soon 2019.
I was surprised to stumble across a stash of the 2019 Willettized Coffee Stout this weekend at a local beer shop. It's excellent again this year and more than reasonable at $11.99 per 4 pack of 12Oz bottles. I haven't seen the Willettized at any other shops and I'm wondering if it's more limited than usual this year.

CBS seems to be very abundant this year.

James

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16345 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 5th, 2019, 11:45 am

For a long while (a year or two?) In the recent past CBS bombers were always stocked on WF shelves. They pretty much dried up earlier this year, though

GMcCarthy

#16346 Post by GMcCarthy » November 5th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Mel Hill wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 6:42 pm
EA7A5CC0-CC26-4ACD-BFD2-0085706B2BB5.jpeg

Stopped in at Outer Range in Frisco,CO today after skiing.
Tried a couple and came home with 2 4pks of
Willow IPA

Maybe because it was good but also our dog is named Willow!
Glad to see Outer Range mentioned here. I used to work with Lee when he was living in NYC. I'm always jealous when he posts pictures of the view from the brewery towards the mountains.
Greg McCarthy
itb:beer

BRhoades

#16347 Post by BRhoades » November 6th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Pariah Brewing Co. LeBron Haze. DDH IPA 7.5% ABV. Hopped entirely with 100% Australian Galaxy hops. Probably the best can art and beer name of the year. And how appropriate that the Lakers are 6-1 out of the gate to pick this beer up while I was in San Diego yesterday and enjoyed while watching them claw back against the Bulls last night as the King posted his 3rd straight triple double. This pours a beautiful milky orange color with a nice inch of compact tight tiny bubbles. The nose is ripened sweet crushed pineapple with a pleasant green herbaceous hint. It tastes of crushed sweet pineapple's, peaches and bitter citrus. The body reminds me a lot of the soft water treatment that Tree House achieves. This beer finishes long and dry with a nice kiss of citrus on the back end.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16348 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 7th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Continue to annihilate Fr George Crysknife whenever I see it stocked on shelves or on tap. Reminds me of several of the MT limited releases, with heavy orange juice notes and a bite on the finish. Tiger Millionaire.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16349 Post by Mark Y » November 10th, 2019, 9:18 am

F2954A95-6B48-4FEC-86C0-765A631AF886.jpeg
A bottle courtesy of Mr Tallman. The truffle is super subtle, it’s there. But u really have to focus on it. Degarde tasty as always tho.
Y.e.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16350 Post by Mark Y » November 10th, 2019, 9:19 am

E4941107-6B2B-440A-997C-D130DCC2E285.jpeg
As good as beer gets pretty much...
Reputation preceeds it, but it still lives up to the hype.
Thanks for sharing Travis!
Y.e.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”