What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#15601 Post by Scott Tallman » September 28th, 2018, 8:47 am

Rick Allen wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 8:45 am
So far in Vienna I've now had a Ottakringer Pils (quite good) and Helles (not as good), and Steigl (quite good). While both rise above American industrial beer (including the large Craft stuff), and are also better than 5 of the Big 6 from Munich, they are no match for the smaller craft lagers we see in the U.S. I suspect that I would find better beer in the smaller towns, but this is a train trip and getting out in the country is more difficult.
Or maybe a fun bike ride?
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15602 Post by Rick Allen » September 28th, 2018, 9:37 am

Scott Tallman wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 8:47 am
Rick Allen wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 8:45 am
So far in Vienna I've now had a Ottakringer Pils (quite good) and Helles (not as good), and Steigl (quite good). While both rise above American industrial beer (including the large Craft stuff), and are also better than 5 of the Big 6 from Munich, they are no match for the smaller craft lagers we see in the U.S. I suspect that I would find better beer in the smaller towns, but this is a train trip and getting out in the country is more difficult.
Or maybe a fun bike ride?
Next trip for sure. At this point, I may be able to get on a bike in Salzburg, but I doubt it will happen in Venice!

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15603 Post by Rick Allen » September 28th, 2018, 12:52 pm

I tried a new (to me) beer tonight - Piestinger, a brewery in Vallach, Austria (kind of half way to Venice). The beer was called Marzen, but was really a Festbier. Pale gold, really nice malt character, smooth, rich, great finish. Highly recommended. [thumbs-up.gif]

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15604 Post by Scott Tallman » September 28th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Rick Allen wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 12:52 pm
I tried a new (to me) beer tonight - Piestinger, a brewery in Vallach, Austria (kind of half way to Venice). The beer was called Marzen, but was really a Festbier. Pale gold, really nice malt character, smooth, rich, great finish. Highly recommended. [thumbs-up.gif]
Where can it be found in the Pacific NW? Or are you bringing some back? champagne.gif
CT - WestbyGod

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15605 Post by Scott Tallman » September 28th, 2018, 1:44 pm

Andrew, if you see it on tap on your side of town, try both the Fremont regular Cowiche Canyon and the hazy version. For me, the best fresh hop hoppy beers I’ve tried this year. As much as I slam Fremont, they did a great job on those beers.
CT - WestbyGod

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15606 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 28th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Will do. Have been plowing through a 6 of the Deschutes 2018 fresh hop release. Little brother flew up for the weekend, so we’ll do some damage and go in hunt of the Fremont.

Right now, I’m hitting the stash for some liquid tootsie rolls. Quite possibly the only beer by Pelican I’ll drink.
Attachments
FCD73704-FFB9-4C3E-9D37-3073315AD7ED.jpeg

JeromeHan

#15607 Post by JeromeHan » September 28th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Comparison of LIC brews. I prefer their Pale Ale hands down.
Attachments
IMG_20180926_210626.jpg
IMG_20180927_221253.jpg

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15608 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 28th, 2018, 2:22 pm

on deck: a couple from Half Acre (Vallejo and Daisy Cutter). I've never seen them out here before.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15609 Post by Rick Allen » September 28th, 2018, 9:50 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 1:06 pm
Rick Allen wrote:
Where can it be found in the Pacific NW? Or are you bringing some back? champagne.gif
Unfortunately it's keg only, and I'm not bringing back a growler!

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15610 Post by Scott Tallman » September 28th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Rick Allen wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 9:50 pm
Scott Tallman wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 1:06 pm
Rick Allen wrote:
Unfortunately it's keg only, and I'm not bringing back a growler!
No Crowlers? [snort.gif]
CT - WestbyGod

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15611 Post by Rick Allen » September 29th, 2018, 1:16 am

I don't know if they're aware of crowlera here.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15612 Post by Rick Allen » September 30th, 2018, 7:50 am

So we are wrapping up our stay in Vienna, and we took the subway out to a park just to pass some time, and they were holding their version of Oktoberfest in the park! Lots of dirndls and lederhosen, lots of oom-pah bands, and lots of beer. Just one beer though - Gosser. It was OK. Based on what I know about Munich, this was probably 1/6 the size, although we'll be able to compare in another week.

We also stopped by a local craft brewery in town - 7Stern Brau. We tried the Helles (meh), Dunkel (OK), and Marzen (best of the bunch but only good/very good). The common thread in most of these small breweries seems to be that they are pushing the process a little too much, and the beer suffers as a result. The big breweries aren't exempt either, only they're pushing the process way too much and using inferior ingredients.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15613 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 30th, 2018, 2:23 pm

what do you mean by "push the process", Rick? THey're just trying to move things too quickly?

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

YLee

#15614 Post by YLee » September 30th, 2018, 5:38 pm

I enjoy drinking Angry Orchard and Leffe. I think Belgium has the best beers and chocolate.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#15615 Post by c fu » September 30th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Craig G wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 5:58 am
I’m back in Taiwan and found a local store with a bunch of Cantillon Gueuze, about $17 for the 750ml. It may be my house wine this week.

A20E598F-FFD7-47BE-9B8D-EAE2D54E59FE.jpeg
Great price!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15616 Post by Alan Rath » September 30th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Is that the weird biological experiment Charlie served us a year ago? ;)

Elliot Steele

#15617 Post by Elliot Steele » September 30th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Craig G wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 5:58 am
I’m back in Taiwan and found a local store with a bunch of Cantillon Gueuze, about $17 for the 750ml. It may be my house wine this week.

A20E598F-FFD7-47BE-9B8D-EAE2D54E59FE.jpeg
Love the label. If you're ever in Brussels you've got to check out the Mannekin Pis museum with all of the different outfits they put on him everyday.

Speaking of Geuze I've been really digging the 3 Fonteinen Cuvee Armand and Gaston and the Oude Geuze. Such refined, complex and elegant beer. Like drinking great BdN in some ways.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15618 Post by Rick Allen » October 1st, 2018, 2:31 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
September 30th, 2018, 2:23 pm
what do you mean by "push the process", Rick? THey're just trying to move things too quickly?
Exactly. If you try to move fermentation along too fast, you run the risk of not getting complete fermentation and that can/will leave undesirable esthers in the beer. This is particularly true with lagers, where the fermentation process continues for weeks (not so much primary fermentation, but the processes the yeast uses to "clean up" the beer). In talking to other brewers, pretty much everyone agrees that over half of the flaws in beer are caused by trying to shorten the process.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15619 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 1st, 2018, 3:22 pm

Huh ... very interesting. Thank you for sharing that.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15620 Post by Rick Allen » October 1st, 2018, 11:03 pm

So yesterday I tried a Nocksteiner smoked beer. I though it was a little under-smoked for my palate. I also tried a Trumer Imperial Pils - 7.5% ABV. Basically a overly bitter Maibock. Not my favorite. Today we go to Augustiner Brau here in Salzburg. I'm really looking forward to that!

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15621 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 2nd, 2018, 12:12 am

Enjoy, Rick! Are you enjoying any Riesling while you're over there?

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15622 Post by Rick Allen » October 2nd, 2018, 8:14 am

We've had some, although nothing earthshaking. The best were in Bamberg and were local Franconian wines.

Today we went to Augustiner Brau in Salzburg. Hands down best beer of the trip so far. They were serving one beer - a Festbier that was absolutely delicious. It was the perfect beer!

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15623 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 2nd, 2018, 10:07 pm

Still digging the IPA/Porter mix. Tonight it was a blend of Founders Porter and Karl Strauss "Aurora Hoppyalis" IPA. About 5 parts IPA to 1 part Porter.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15624 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 2nd, 2018, 11:15 pm

Rick Allen wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 11:03 pm
So yesterday I tried a Nocksteiner smoked beer. I though it was a little under-smoked for my palate. I also tried a Trumer Imperial Pils - 7.5% ABV. Basically a overly bitter Maibock. Not my favorite. Today we go to Augustiner Brau here in Salzburg. I'm really looking forward to that!
Do you know what type of wood was used for smoking on the Nocksteiner, Rick? I suppose it was less smoky than Spezial, yeah?

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15625 Post by Rick Allen » October 3rd, 2018, 4:38 am

October 2nd, 2018, 11:15 pm
Rick Allen wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 11:03 pm
Do you know what type of wood was used for smoking on the Nocksteiner, Rick? I suppose it was less smoky than Spezial, yeah?
Tasted like Beechwood, so similar to Special. It was a relatively pale beer so the malt flavors and smoke would/should be more subdued. Even on that scale though, it needed more smoke.

We just did a collaboration smoked Helles with Wayfinder up in PDX. I haven't tried it yet (need to get back from this trip) but I was a little concerned at the amount of smoked malt Lisa and Kevin used.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15626 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 3rd, 2018, 11:53 am

Hmmmm, interesting. I certainly hope your smoked Helles turned-out to your liking! Any chance of that seeing distro into SoCal?

Gerry Morrisey

#15627 Post by Gerry Morrisey » October 3rd, 2018, 1:55 pm

Seems like the weather for one so popped a 2014 Goose Island Bourbon County stout. Mellowing out and really hits the spot on a dank day.

BRhoades

#15628 Post by BRhoades » October 5th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Shaneal O'Quille. DIPA. 7.9% ABV. Wheated DIPA, hopped with Mosaic Motueka and Galaxy hops. One of the greatest named beers ever and now back after almost a two year hiatus. Fragrant nose of ripening stone and tropical fruits. Flavors follow the nose. I get lot's of sweet peach, apricot and nectarines. Mid palate shows sweet orange and more citrus fruits with hints of mixed berries followed by a nice earthy dankness that finishes it all off. The body is super soft and pillowy. Very cool well crafted beer on all levels. Available only at the brewery for tap and growler fills at 4PP.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15629 Post by Rick Allen » October 7th, 2018, 11:01 am

Went to Oktoberfest today. This is more of a state fair than beer fest (not to say there wasn't a lot of drinking going on). Thousands of people, over half dressed in traditional Bavarian garb sitting around drinking and singing. I had a liter of the Augustiner Edelstoff (excellent but not as good as Augustiner Brau in Salzburg) and a liter of Hofbrauhaus Festbier (not quite as good - a little one dimensional). Afterwards we wandered around the Munich city center, and had dinner at one of the Augustiner restaurants. Added a half liter of Augustiner Dunkel to the mix. It's been a long day...

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15630 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 7th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Not at all what I was expecting, possibly because I drank it down with smoked bacon :)

Cloudy, fizzy and nowhere near as tart as I expected. Some fruit on the nose, but nothing like a peche ‘n Brett.
Attachments
9D0222B1-ED82-481E-9632-6FC857A4B888.jpeg

Peter Baird
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15631 Post by Peter Baird » October 8th, 2018, 4:09 pm

Really good. Yet another CT brewery that must have opened recently. A VT style IPA but very chewy malty style. So kinda unique. I guess that’s “farmhouse” style.
72A9F6CC-CA1A-4ACF-9E38-B8F14CFC542D.jpeg
"For too long this country has suffered a great moral and oral decay, in spirit, and incisors." #Vermin2020

"Peter...your well-reasoned words were a waste of time." -Bob Wood

DaveStein

#15632 Post by DaveStein » October 9th, 2018, 10:10 am

I just moved back to California from Kansas City Missouri. The local brewery there called Boulevard Brewery has a fantastic unfiltered wheat that I became very fond of. A couple years back the local owners sold it to some Austrian folks and so far they hadn't changed the recipe. Once a year they do a chocolate stout, I've had it, it's good for a stout but a bit heavy
newhere

BRhoades

#15633 Post by BRhoades » October 9th, 2018, 12:57 pm

DaveStein wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 10:10 am
I just moved back to California from Kansas City Missouri. The local brewery there called Boulevard Brewery has a fantastic unfiltered wheat that I became very fond of. A couple years back the local owners sold it to some Austrian folks and so far they hadn't changed the recipe. Once a year they do a chocolate stout, I've had it, it's good for a stout but a bit heavy
Welcome back to Cali Dave. Boulevard sold out to Belgium Firm Duvel Moortgat in 2103.

Cheers

Bud

DaveStein

#15634 Post by DaveStein » October 9th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Belgian not Austrian thank you, and I didn't realize it had been 5 years already. I moved out there in 2010 and was a big fan from jump
newhere

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15635 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 10th, 2018, 4:13 pm

Looks like AK is working from Malt and Vine this afternoon!
Attachments
9A6E3055-BDDB-4A03-90EA-CBB73E39B178.png

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15636 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 10th, 2018, 11:55 pm

Brouwerij West's phenomenal "Ask the Dust" NEIPA is back again!

DaveStein

#15637 Post by DaveStein » October 11th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Arrogant Bastard
Stone Brewery
San Diego, California
newhere

BRhoades

#15638 Post by BRhoades » October 12th, 2018, 4:30 pm

DaveStein wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 10:10 am
Hey Dave, a few recommendations for you up in Fresno. First look for cans/bottles from Revision Brewing, they distro in Fresno, The Fort as well as the Fig Tree carry them, they make excellent IPAs. Check out HopPK in downtown Fresno for an amazing tap selection. A couple good breweries are Full Circle Brewing and Pine and Palm Brewing in Fresno. There's a lot of great beer in your city.

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on October 13th, 2018, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jordan whitehead

#15639 Post by jordan whitehead » October 13th, 2018, 3:44 pm

3floyds
Attachments
large_53d0886d-2129-4e31-b10e-0778653f354f.jpg
www.annaswish.org

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15640 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 13th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Has been a beer-tastic week.
Annihilated MV's MT Space Ways keg, and drank my share of the Fremont Hazy Cowiche and Boneyard Hop Venom.

Took the kids to the local salmon hatchery today, which was conveniently located next to the Rogue Brewery. Hit the obligatory Dead Guy, before trying the 8 hop and the Straight out of Newport... Oregon DIPA. Rogue has never blown me away, but all three showed well enough to convince me to buy some to go. Will try the 30th Anniversary Barley Wine (today is the anniv), along with a barrel-aged Dead Guy and their pumpkin beer.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15641 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 14th, 2018, 11:42 am

Halftime rolled around and the Raiders are losing yet again, this time taking their mediocrity overseas to embody Mark Davis’s ‘Commitment to Excrement.”

I’m hitting the heavy stuff now - Oakshire Brewing’s Hellshire VIII. Best description would be “If Abraxas and KDS had a Barrel-aged baby at 14%.” I like the mouthfeel on this, which isn’t thin, but definitely not KDS motor oil. There’s a little fiz, some bite from the chili, but heavy choco-coffee.

Have never seen it before, but if you’re into this style, it’s definitely worth picking up, orange wax capsule and all.
Attachments
B6BAA519-18A5-476A-A7D3-15A53BCEE2D4.jpeg

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15642 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 14th, 2018, 3:10 pm

is Fremont's "Dark Star" worth buying at $20?

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15643 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 14th, 2018, 3:29 pm

October 14th, 2018, 3:10 pm
is Fremont's "Dark Star" worth buying at $20?
If you like the style, sure, assuming you’re referring to the barrel-aged release. I think they stopped calling it KDS a couple of years back because they were using other barrels, but essentially the same beer. Not to be confused with the Abominable release they have, which is a bit too rich/gravy train for me. Am a huge fan of the coffee variant, for what it’s worth.

Here’s a BeerAdvocate link, fwiw.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20680/140119/
Last edited by Andrew Kotowski on October 14th, 2018, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15644 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 14th, 2018, 3:32 pm

I think it's the barrel-aged, Andrew. I saw it in my local Whole Foods yesterday, and got curious. Thank you for the info.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15645 Post by Mark Y » October 15th, 2018, 11:40 am

All business in Brussels! ;)
Y.e.

BRhoades

#15646 Post by BRhoades » October 17th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Modern Times Beer. Detect Evil. DIPA. 8.5% ABV. Hopped with Mosaic, Strata,Nugget and Enigma hops.

MT continues to amaze and this October on-line release just reenforces that. Super creative hop bill results in incredible aromatics up front, super ripe tropical fruits, zesty citrus and dank dark green earthy musk. Flavors show ripe pineapples, mango, papaya, passion fruit, sweet tangerines and stone fruits. It's all kept in check with a bite of bitter sweet citrus pith and west coast piney resin notes. The 8.5 % is very hard to detect. This will benefit with a couple weeks in can. Another world class effort from Modern Times.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

JeromeHan

#15647 Post by JeromeHan » October 18th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Getting cold... maybe I should open one of my beers from last summer. Goose Island or Brooklyn Chocolate.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”