What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#15551 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 6th, 2018, 7:47 pm

Plowed through a pitcher of 3 Way IPA with some friends. It had clearly lost a step (they probably helped the leg for 2 months) but was still good. More juice than hops, which starts to feel less like an IPA and more like a fruity drink mixed with beer.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15552 Post by Mark Y » September 7th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Zwanze Day!!! Got some tickets.

Anyone else in the Seattle area going?
Y.e.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15553 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 7th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Mark Y wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 2:24 pm

That’d be a “no” from me :). I gave away all of my Cantillon, cause I’m a swell guy.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15554 Post by Scott Tallman » September 7th, 2018, 11:36 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 8:44 pm
Mark Y wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 2:24 pm

That’d be a “no” from me :). I gave away all of my Cantillon, cause I’m a swell guy.
Indeed you are!

I was in the mountains all day w/o Internet access, but asked a neighbor to grab me one if he was successful. Not sure how he fared. With or without a ticket, I’ll attend as all a ticket gets you is a glass and a Zwanze pour. Non-ticket holders can buy/taste all the other beers, but I know Masonry will be cray cray packed that day. Plan to arrive early.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15555 Post by Adam Noble » September 8th, 2018, 8:11 am

I will plan on skipping it, as I have every year. I'd be interested but not enough to brave the crowds and take time away from the family. Also this year I'll have had knee surgery the day before, so definitely not. I do enjoy Cantillon, however.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15556 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 13th, 2018, 1:02 am

Modern Times - "Space Ways" NEIPA

Bud is right (again). This Nelson-hopped hazy is awesome! I like that it has a enough "bite" to give it some West Coast leanings. Loving this!
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

BRhoades

#15557 Post by BRhoades » September 13th, 2018, 10:10 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 1:02 am

Bud is right (again). This Nelson-hopped hazy is awesome! I like that it has a enough "bite" to give it some West Coast leanings. Loving this!
Whats even better is the price locally is 10.99 vs the 13 at MT ! Slam Dunk QPR contender of the year !

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15558 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 13th, 2018, 10:55 am

BRhoades wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:10 am
September 13th, 2018, 1:02 am

Whats even better is the price locally is 10.99 vs the 13 at MT ! Slam Dunk QPR contender of the year !

Cheers,

Bud
Sadly, not on the shelves here. Happy I got to try at MT and take a crowler home.

Have been working through the PostDoc line-up, most of which have been above average, but not mind-blowing. Have an offsite there tonight, will post if anything blows me away.

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15559 Post by Adam Noble » September 13th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Postdoc does have one of my favorite beer names- Lager Rhythmic. That's good stuff right there (name, not the beer which I haven't tried so can't evaluate).

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15560 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 13th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Adam Noble wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 1:06 pm
Postdoc does have one of my favorite beer names- Lager Rhythmic. That's good stuff right there (name, not the beer which I haven't tried so can't evaluate).
Hogus Maximus (barrel aged triple IPA) was intriguing - I’ve never had a barrel aged IPA, much less a triple. Not sure I’d order again, but was fun to try.

Case Study IPA was actually a pretty good IPA. I don’t think it’s at the MT level, but I’d drink this every day of the week and three times on sunday.

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15561 Post by Adam Noble » September 14th, 2018, 7:41 am

Only 3? Sunday must be a rest day.

BRhoades

#15562 Post by BRhoades » September 14th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Broadcasting Live. DIPA. 8.5% ABV. 100% hopped with Nelson Sauivin hops.

As a confessed total Nelson whore these past 4-6 weeks have been an orgy. The current crop of Nelson Sauvin available state side is without a doubt some of the most pungent flavorful little buds we have ever seen. Last month Monkish dropped Pre-Historic B-Boy, a 100% Nelson hopped IPA at 6.8% ABV, perhaps my favorite single hopped IPA Henry has brewed. The success of that beer has led to label art being completed for a future can run. Henry also shared with me that he was going to can a DIPA take on Pre-Historic. Well that didn't come to fruition but he did drop it yesterday on tap and for fills. Ironically I had a meeting next door of Monkish at 2:30 yesterday and when i came out I could see folks walking up to the brewery, I looked at my phone and saw that they were releasing Relax Your Mind, a perennial classic Monkish DIPA. Well lucky me, when I looked further down on the IG release I also noted their " freshie alert" for Broadcasting Live, I was probably the only one there more excited for the growler fill than the can release. Oh....the beer. It pours a beautiful milky white hazed yellowish orange color with a quarter inch of quickly receding head.The nose is incredibly aromatic, it veers from over ripe citrus fruits to a bowl of sweet crushed tropical fruits and that dank green grape leaf note. Flavors show ripe melon, sauvignon blanc, tangerine, red grapefruit, over ripe pineapple, guava and a minty pine note. The Mouth is medium plus and for 8.5% this finishes bone dry and long. The range of flavors and aromatics with world class Nelson Sauvin are enormous and this recipe showcases the best the hop has to offer.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15563 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 14th, 2018, 7:15 pm

Ohhhh man! How many pp?

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

BRhoades

#15564 Post by BRhoades » September 15th, 2018, 11:34 am

September 14th, 2018, 7:15 pm
Ohhhh man! How many pp?
4 ! and I'm going to do at least that many over the next few weeks. It's crazy good Brian, you'll love it.

Cheers,

Bud

JeromeHan

#15565 Post by JeromeHan » September 15th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Finally got my hands on some Kane. Solid pour.
Attachments
IMG_20180911_211136_2.jpg

BRhoades

#15566 Post by BRhoades » September 15th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Hill Farmstead Brewey, Double Citra. DIPA.8% ABV. Hopped with 100% Citra hops.

Mind bending aromatics, huge blasts of tangerine, ripe melon and a whiff of pine. The appearance is a gorgeous brilliant bright orange with a thick white head of tightly packed bubbles. The flavors show gobs of ripe citrus fruits, sweet melons and lychee. Besides tasting absolutely amazing the most incredible trait with HF beers is the body. I know it has a lot to do with that well water on the farm but it's also Shawn's deft use of his grain and hop bills. This is so etherial, its delicate and light beyond description but still delivers layer upon layer of Citra complexities, the beer literally dissolves on your tongue. Good gawd, an epiphany beer. There's a reason HF is one of the most revered breweries not just in the US, but the world, and this beer let's you know why.

Highly Recommend,

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15567 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 15th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Thinner than the Abyss and other Imperial Stout line-ups, the Black Butte XXX Imperial Porter feels more like a traditional beer than the entire vogue chocolate spice gravy drinks that are dominating the category. Medium carbonation, some heat from the 13%+ ABV. Expect to take a nap if drinking at 13:00.
Attachments
2246EB3D-BBA3-41CD-BB22-14CE685BCA4E.jpeg

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15568 Post by Rick Allen » September 16th, 2018, 2:18 am

We spent the weekend in Bamberg, Germany. First stop was Weyermann (our malt supplier) where we tasted a number of beers from their test Brewery. They made an IPA that's actually tolerable. Had the Rauch Marzen at Schlenkerla with dinner. Saturday we went out to Mahrsbrau and tried the Ungespundet (unfiltered) lager, which was very tasty, along with the Hell and Dunkel. The Hell was pretty good and the Dunkel suffered from a lack of Munich malt.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15569 Post by Scott Tallman » September 16th, 2018, 8:17 am

Rick Allen wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 2:18 am
We spent the weekend in Bamberg, Germany. First stop was Weyermann (our malt supplier) where we tasted a number of beers from their test Brewery. They made an IPA that's actually tolerable. Had the Rauch Marzen at Schlenkerla with dinner. Saturday we went out to Mahrsbrau and tried the Ungespundet (unfiltered) lager, which was very tasty, along with the Hell and Dunkel. The Hell was pretty good and the Dunkel suffered from a lack of Munich malt.
Sounds awesome. Glad you made it and hopefully all those German beers will aid in your recovery!
CT - WestbyGod

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15570 Post by Rick Allen » September 16th, 2018, 9:32 am

So far, so good. I had a Pilsner Urquell this afternoon that was a major disappointment. It was clear that they've raised their fermentation temperature to the point where they're getting a lot of unwanted esters in their beer. Since our last trip to Germany/Czechia, Pilsner Urquell was acquired by SAB Miller, and changes in the beer have been a disaster. The beer is living on past laurels.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15571 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 16th, 2018, 11:20 am

@Rick - this might be God’s way of telling you it’s time to switch to IPA.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15572 Post by Rick Allen » September 16th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 11:20 am
@Rick - this might be God’s way of telling you it’s time to switch to IPA.
[rofl.gif]

I don't think so. It's probably more of a reason to avoid industrially owned beer at all costs.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15573 Post by Rick Allen » September 17th, 2018, 11:36 pm

So after another bad beer (Carlsberg), I found a local establishment with Augustiner Hell on tap. Just a hint of hops and mildly malty barley goodness with none of the flaws that every other beer has had. The best beer of the trip so far. I have higher hopes when we get to Prague.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15574 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 18th, 2018, 10:46 am

Jealous!! Have a great time, Rick!

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15575 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 18th, 2018, 11:33 am

Elysian "Great Pumpkin" Imperial Pumpkin Ale - I have to do this every year. Pumpkin, spice, nutmeg, etc. It's sweet; it's pumpkin beer.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15576 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 18th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Really enjoying Boneyard's "Ales for ALS."

Description is "Rolled oarts w/Ales for ALS hop blend: Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe hops."

Am two in and trying to decide if I want to roll the dice on a Fremont F2F Fresh Hop Centennial, a Holy Mountain "Cathedral Kolsch-Style Ale," a 3 Way or just say f-it and keep the Boneyard rolling.

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15577 Post by Scott Tallman » September 18th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 11:33 am
Elysian "Great Pumpkin" Imperial Pumpkin Ale - I have to do this every year. Pumpkin, spice, nutmeg, etc. It's sweet; it's pumpkin beer.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Masochist
CT - WestbyGod

Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15578 Post by Scott Tallman » September 18th, 2018, 4:23 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 4:08 pm
Really enjoying Boneyard's "Ales for ALS."

Description is "Rolled oarts w/Ales for ALS hop blend: Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe hops."

Am two in and trying to decide if I want to roll the dice on a Fremont F2F Fresh Hop Centennial, a Holy Mountain "Cathedral Kolsch-Style Ale," a 3 Way or just say f-it and keep the Boneyard rolling.
I did not care for Fremont Field to Ferment Simcoe (shocking, I know). Hoping Cowiche Canyon is on point this year
CT - WestbyGod

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15579 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 18th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Went 3 Way, which was a fresh keg. Just couldn’t pull the trigger on Fremont after their long list of craptastrophies passed off as “experimental IPAs.”
Last edited by Andrew Kotowski on September 18th, 2018, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15580 Post by Adam Noble » September 18th, 2018, 6:59 pm

I like Fremont. Just not their IPAs.

BRhoades

#15581 Post by BRhoades » September 19th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Modern Times Beer Co and Bearded Iris Brewing Co. Collaboration, Harvest Of Memories, DIPA.8% ABV. Hopped with Mosaic, Motueka, Strata and Simcoe hops.

OMG is this delicious. Big aromatic nose transitions to a beer that is soft, pillowy and juicy AF. Stone fruits, red and blue berries, sort orange citrus notes and honeyed pineapple. This is so restrained, refined and balanced for a beer that clocks in at 8%. September on line release. Seek it out.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Return to “Beer and Spirits”