I knew there was another reason I didn't like Total Wine

I usually have lots of room in my mind for big box retailers and even shop there once in a while, when they have something I can’t find elsewhere, or a great price on something. When I was a retailer I prayed that Total Wine wouldn’t open a store near me though. They opened one about 3 years after we sold our shop. So… besides being a real PIA competitively, what’s my “other” reason?

They’re running a radio commercial that blatantly makes fun of independents as pretentious, know-nothing, imposters. HEY!!! A little respect would be nice. TRUTH would be even nicer, but I guess not.

Our nearby TW has a really massive inventory, but I’m rarely approached by a staff member when I’m looking around, and when I am… their knowledge is modest at best. What’s so wrong with sticking to the “we have more wine, and usually lower prices” line? Why try to diminish the value of good, independent wine merchants?

I’ve always believed that encouraging as much wine appreciation as possible was good for the entire industry. I’ve read a lot of feedback to the effect that TW corporate is less than ‘cool’ about a lot of things. This must be just one more example.

I tried to Google the ad to post here,but this article was as close as I could get:http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/08/5402169/wine-buzz-theyre-not-snobs-theyre.html

[soap.gif]

Sheeesh!!!

partially kinda true. Some retailers are super stand offish. I’m hesitant to say that I’ve even had someone come see if I needed help at any of the LA/OC retailers other than K&L. Most of the workers don’t even look me in the eye at Winex, Bestwines, Wine Club and Wine House. They just walk on by me every time. It doesn’t bother me, but for people who don’t know what they are looking for, it’s probably helpful if someone comes by and asks if they need help.

That being said, I think they do typically know more than your typical TW worker. From what I know, TW is trying hard to change that with a lot of tastings for their staff, but I bet for many of them it’s not really their passion… just a job. But the article you linked to is very correct, kinda weird seeing a big corporation trying to target the small stores with ads. In LA, the ads revolve more around their selection and knowledge, haven’t heard any trashing the small stores yet.

caveat: one of the guys in our wine group is a “guy” at TW.

Charlie, I don’t think the commercial is aimed at shops like Winex, Bestwines, Wine Club and Wine House. It’s definitely aimed at the small independent one-off shop and makes the man and woman “owners” sound like useless wanna-be’s. Not saying there aren’t some like that, but the ad is aimed at telling the public that TW is far superior to any ‘local’ small wine merchant. One example… when asked about their wine experience, the woman says that her husband “went to France once”. Give me a break.

I just heard the ad on an LA station today.

This is not to be construed as defending TW by any means…

For the truly helpful and solid independent stores, they have less to worry about, as their customer base can be very loyal. And negative ads like that can backfire just as easily.

If Indi’s can turn the table (via their social media lists for instance), it will be at TW’s expense of all that extra airtime exposure.

I have told the TW story before how, while standing in the Bordeaux aisle, I asked a TW employee where the Burgundy selection was and was told, “Burgundy is in Bordeaux.” I rest my case.
alan

I love Binnys.

It’s just marketing and probably targets two audiences: those who put $ before before quality and the neophyte looking for guidance at a store with low prices. (You wine savvy people know where to shop.) Get the people into the store and they will spend money.

BevMo commonly has their sales, “buy one bottle and another bottle for “x” amount.” While mostly low end or inexpensive floor stack wines, they occasionally feature a few name brands. Either way, the wines are either lost leader or jacked in price to cover cost. Bring you in with a “deal” and you will spend money.

Have you seen the Subway commercials with those huge, stuffed with meat and cheese sandwiches? Ever seen a sandwich at Subway that comes close to the one in the commercial???

I really do know that it’s “just marketing”, but I also know how gullible people can be. The small, knowledgeable independent wine shop has enough trouble doing business as it is. I just found it annoying that a big box giant would take such a cheap shot at a level of competition that is really just a fly on an elephant’s ass to them.

Have you seen the Subway commercials with those huge, stuffed with meat and cheese sandwiches? Ever seen a sandwich at Subway that comes close to the one in the commercial???

Actually… truth is, I have! I’ve also had some that are squished down too, but around here they’ve been charging $4 for a foot-long deli meat sandwich, so I give them a good deal of slack. I wanna be like Jared. [bye.gif]

Why?

Cuz she is kinda cute.

^ While I don’t love the outfit…yeah.

As for the store, not a fan of Binny’s. The selection is fairly good, but the pricing is very meh. Sales people are hit or miss, but I suppose that’s true in most retail establishments.

In regards to Binnys.

Large selection. Love browsing. Ok prices. I don’t talk to much with the staff but when I have it was because that store was out of what I wanted and if it was at another store they would get it for me in very few days time. Friendly people so far.

Thanks for the comment on their ad. [scratch.gif]

I don’t have much of a problem with Total Wine (assuming that’s the retailer you’re referring to) as a place to shop. My issue is with the legitimacy of their ad claims about service and especially their pot-shot at small independents.

They used to claim that their “associates” all received special training from wine makers or owners. And, that they would send them to the wineries for this training. They no longer say this because it was total B.S. Just another in a long line of bending the truth. Their typical MO.

I’m an independent retailer and while I don’t care for the spirit for TW’s radio ad, my customers know the difference between their type of wine retail experience and what I’m doing inside my shop.

That said, I really dig their selection and there’s hardly any wine overlap between our stores… so there’s that.

If all the customers I had in my shop knew that difference I’d probably still own it. rolleyes

So, I am in the Dallas location yesterday to get a case of cellar defenders. I have a plan of getting some Napa Cabs in the $20 to $30 range and get out. By shear luck and no planning at all, I again had on my Maybach shirt.

I roll into the store and the white shirt/black tie attired salesman comes up to me immediately, notices the shirt and asks if I have ever had the wine. I said of course and he responded that they do not carry Maybach (duh). He then tries to push an $11 dollar bottle of wine that is stacked floor to ceiling on me.

Not trying to be snobbish here, but if you know the wine name (and possibly the price point of admission), shouldn’t you try to direct the patron to the wine cooler wall where the “good stuff” lives? Just reinforces they are trying to make their coin on moving volume of swill.

Tex, this is very close to what I posted in the Saturday Funnies thread the other day…

This is the main reason why I always state that I’m good when I do go by TW&M and someone asks if I need help.

LOL

Too many reasons to list.

Start with our local TW used to have a habit of posting scores for the correct wines but other vintages that were noticeably higher. Fell for this several times and then had to waste time taking it back, not because it was bad, it wasn’t what i wanted.

Pricing that here in Tampa isn’t all that great for good to better wines. Almost anything in the store can be found somewhere else for less and comes with some personal service.

Store inventory that doesn’t match up with online inventory meaning another wasted trip or call.

Yes they have their place, just not for me.