Perhaps the World's Greatest Chardonnay...uh, no!

2005 Leeuwin Chardonnay, compliments of our pals from WL, hyping up something.

Ian, come on, you can do better than that? Do you guys drink Burgundy in New Jersey? Not the stuff from Almaden!

Dan, have you had this wine? What did you think? No agenda here and do not carry the wine personally, but just had the 2005 Leeuwin Estate Sexton Vineyard Chardonnay, and it was awesome IMO! Had it with 10 local drinking friends, and we all considered it the top wine of the evening! It’s a wine I think you have to commit to the full bottle to fully evaluate, not a quick taste . . .

My brief notes: “Tight when first opened, yet tasted some crushed stone, citrus, oak, came across as very age worthy. Put it in the cellar for the next 4 hours to try again with friends later that evening. It pretty much did not move from where it began hours before. We set it aside, opened about 20 bottles of various California wines, and came back to this Chardonnay about 3 hours later. It opened up into a very lush, gorgeous wine, almost reminded me of a cross between a creme brulee style Peter Michael and a quality Marcassin Chardonnay. It was our favoriate wine of the night!”

I have not had Leeuwin’s Chard in a few vintages (2003 was last I believe) but to say it is the best Chardonnay in the world? I think not.

No axe to grind. I am sure the price was good and the wine always gets great press.

You know us, over the top marketing!

The wine is very good, and ages well. It does best after about age 7 or 8.

Just remember, Brandon writes the emails, not me neener

(I like Dan, and take this as friendly poking, and nothing more.)

I would agree it is the best Chardonnay in the world, from the POV that Burgundy is whatever AOC it is, not Chardonnay.

A '93 I had earlier this year would smoke a substantial amount of 15yr Burgs.

A.

From 12/30:
Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay 2001:
This was fun to find. I have been trying to drink down my cellar in preparation for the move to the new house (and new cellar), so loose bottles are definitely fair game. Filled with citrus notes- blood orange, grapefruit and lemon- honeysuckle and pear, this wine is still going strong. There is enough acidity that I’ll give this three to five more years of pleasant drinking. I really like these Chardonnays (still like Giaconda better though). 91 points

I would expect the best Chardonnay in the world to show a bit better . . .

What a moron!! [rofl.gif]

Thanks, glad to see you are feeling better.

As everyone probably knows, it was friendly poking, FYI.

Gave WL free advertising space here.

I love reading their emails while on the bowl.

I do too! oh, wait…

You know what man, dollar for dollar, it may be the best chard on a consistent basis. I have yet to taste a Burgundy at that price point that is that good every year.

if you want to talk striaght quality, maybe not, but it is still near the top. but how often can we judge a wine without taking price point into account?

word (as my kid sez)… [berserker.gif]

(Oh…I haven’t had the wine in question).

Damn, that is strong coming from you!

Well it was the best Chard offer I got from WL that day [winner.gif]

(or at least before noon)