New Technology: Your thoughts?

Howdy all,

It’s been quite a long time since I’ve been on the boards. Glad to see I could still log in.
I have a question:

Firstly, I work for Trader Joe’s and have been writing the wine order/assisting the wine section at the Alameda, CA store for a few years now. I just passed my WSET Intermediate Exam with Distinction and I’m starting a small in-home wine education business in my area.
I’m torn as to which portable electronic device would be the most useful:
A tablet, a Netbook/Laptop or a smaller Nexus or Kindle.

I’m planning on staying in wine retail with a goal of eventually working at a “real” wine store once my husband finishes school and gets himself situated into a field he enjoys.
Oh, to not have to sell the Chuck It In The Bucket… : )

Which of the above devices, if any, do y’all in your day to day routine?
Since I’m not planning on going the Somm route, is a Laptop a better choice or would
a smaller Nexus/Kindle do the trick?
I hadn’t planned on getting a “smart phone” as I’d rather have a larger screen if I’m multi-tasking.

Thanks in advance!
Angela T Carlson
TJ’s #109 Wine Geek
Varietal Adventures: Your Passport to Fun Fine Wine

I’m sure there are lots of people here who would be better at this subject than I might be, but I’d like to ask one question as I think about this…

What, as best you can describe, do you want to accomplish with this device?

You seem to have thought things through, but more insight would help I think. For openers, one important issue might be whether you want to be able to play educational materials for ‘clients’ (as I’d assume you would). In that case the size of the screen is a more important consideration than if it’s just for personal use (ie- for keeping track of appointments, clients, and billing), AND how many people will need to see the screen and from what distance are also issues.

Good luck with your business!

I use all three. I use the iPhone, iPad and notebook. But the way my day breaks out, I check the iPhone when I first get up, look at email and stocks etc. The screen for my 50+ eyes is on the verge of being readable without glasses.
I spend the day on the iPad. 90% of everything I do is on it and I am on it all day. However there are a few of the websites and applications that I use that suck on the iPad and certain functions are a PITA.

All data entry, word processing and etc. are done on the notebook.
Considering you can get all 3 for around 1K. Which less than the cost of a MacBook.

Peter is right. You need to determine what you want “out” of the device or devices, what has to go into, (data) the devices, as well as connectivity of the devices. My Droid works just fine for communications, mapping, brief stints on the boards, e-mail and appointments. It can’t maintain a data base of products and notes, nor put together presentations and it doesn’t “synch” with my laptop. (It might and I don’t know how.)

The “pads” have come a long way and don’t own one, so I don’t know if they are capable of replacing both the phone and the lap top. With “cloud” data storage, pads and smart phones may have very good access to data you store there for retrieval.

But, I have to admit that I am somewhat of a dinosaur when it comes to new technology. It was a sad day when I could no longer get parts for my Commodore 64 and 128.

Thanks for your input.
I too am a dinosaur when it comes to electronics, hence the questions.

I’m planning on keeping the Tastings small, no more than 8 people and no more than 6 wines plus a sparkler to start things out. Any more than that in my experience and regular people’s palates get fatigued not to mention the alcohol factor. ; )

I’d like to have the ability to do small presentations for clients when they request them and look up information on line. I’ll need to keep my business records and calendar on it and was considering a Sony Vaio E Series ($450), a Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF 700 (it has a full size keypad attachment: $488)or the 16 G Nexus 7 ($250). Much as I love the size and price of the Nexus, I think my customers would expect something larger and easier to view. I don’t have the budget to get more than one device since I need to buy things like decent glassware, cooling tubs, pourers, etc.
Alright, I hope that give y’all a clearer picture. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks again!